2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Does anyone know if our orientation is until 6pm every weekday including Fridays?

i’m trying to make a flight on Friday to see friends.
Looks like the second week ends that Thursday. I’m planning on flying out as well and I was told by an upperclassman it should be ok

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into KCU’s Kansas City Campus! For everyone on the WL, don’t give up hope! Im rooting for you 🤞🏾
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats? The admissions staff said they're sorting the WL by MCAT and GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! Would you mind sharing your stats? The admissions staff said they're sorting the WL by MCAT and GPA.
Thank you so much! Yeah, I don’t mind. I got right below a 500 on the MCAT, did a post bacc program after undergrad, receiving a 4.0, and my undergrad GPA was a little less than a 3.0. Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: 3 users
I believe they are sorting the waitlist by GPA and MCAT simply to make it easier to identify which wait-listers are in the range of the candidate's stats who rescinded their acceptance

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I believe they are sorting the waitlist by GPA and MCAT simply to make it easier to identify which wait-listers are in the range of the candidate's stats who rescinded their acceptance
I think you’re right, they said the waitlist wasn’t ranked and they look at everyone’s application again

I think you’re right, they said the waitlist wasn’t ranked and they look at everyone’s application again
Their email when I asked also said sorted (not ranked) by GPA and MCAT. So there is some degree of internal ranking involved

Withdrew my acceptance this past weekend from the Kansas City campus. I really liked the school and it was a bittersweet feeling to let go. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 11 users
Their email when I asked also said sorted (not ranked) by GPA and MCAT. So there is some degree of internal ranking involved
It's certainly not ranked by MCAT and GPA stats alone judging by the stats that have been extended admissions offers in the past couple weeks. Seems like it's anyone's game at this point, good luck everyone, waiting is fun huh?

Reactions: 2 users
any movement today? idk about everyone else but i'm feeling pretty lousy and hopeless at this point since orientation is in less than 2 weeks :/

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
any movement today? idk about everyone else but i'm feeling pretty lousy and hopeless at this point since orientation is in less than 2 weeks :/
I had a full blown breakdown in the Taco Bell drive thru lane so I’m right there with you on that one 😅, regardless tho wishing you all nothing but the best, I like to think this too shall pass even tho it absolutely sucks atm

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a full blown breakdown in the Taco Bell drive thru lane so I’m right there with you on that one 😅, regardless tho wishing you all nothing but the best, I like to think this too shall pass even tho it absolutely sucks atm
Ok but what did you get at Taco Bell

Is there much opportunity for kcumb students to research in the Kansas medical center, or do us DO' students hold the stigma?

Is there much opportunity for kcumb students to research in the Kansas medical center, or do us DO' students hold the stigma?
If you are talking about KU med, they only allow outside students over summer now (MD or DO)

If you are talking about KU med, they only allow outside students over summer now (MD or DO)
How does one go about seeking one as an MS1? And thanks Schwifty, you've answered quite a few of my questions this cycle.

How does one go about seeking one as an MS1? And thanks Schwifty, you've answered quite a few of my questions this cycle.
You can go on KU’s website and apply for summer research, just google it and it should come up. If you wanna do summer research starting looking around soon cause a lot of applications are due in December and require a letter of rec from a med school professor

You can go on KU’s website and apply for summer research, just google it and it should come up. If you wanna do summer research starting looking around soon cause a lot of applications are due in December and require a letter of rec from a med school professor
You could also cold email professors/phyisicians around the area. That's how I got my research gig at KU/Children's Mercy with a doc here in the area.

However I had to email around 50 MD/DOs, with only 3-4 getting back to me and only one taking me in as a visiting med student/researcher.

Does anyone know the date of the first day of classes? This would be the last day someone could be accepted off the waitlist.

I got an email from them today saying 'we do not know when or if any further waitlist movement will occur'
Nor did I, but this is consistent with how much waitlist movement we have seen so far for KCU (particularly KC campus). My hope for admission is not impacted by this statement. Three more weeks to remain positive.

Nor did I, but this is consistent with how much waitlist movement we have seen so far for KCU (particularly KC campus). My hope for admission is not impacted by this statement. Three more weeks to remain positive.
Orientation starts Monday though so I feel like chances of getting off the waitlist are slim during orientation. I am freaking out

Orientation starts Monday though so I feel like chances of getting off the waitlist are slim during orientation. I am freaking out
WL movement goes until the 1st day of classes. You just miss orientation but that isn't a big deal.

Withdrew my acceptance hopefully one of you get the spot!

Reactions: 7 users
To be clear I got that email as a reply to an email enquiring them about waitlist movement

Reactions: 4 users
Today is the last Friday before orientation and hence our best shot. After today, it is very unlikely that there will be much movements, I think.
Again, movement keeps going until 1st day of classes. Yes, it is unlikely but it still happens.

Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist. I am officially reapplying and retaking the MCAT. Lost all hope. Such a draining and heartbreaking process being on the waitlist. :(

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
For those who got pulled of the waitlist, did you get a phone call or email first? Asking for the last 5% of hope left...

For those who got pulled of the waitlist, did you get a phone call or email first? Asking for the last 5% of hope left...
Usually they will call you first, if you don't answer, they will leave a voice message and email you as well. But you gotta reply quickly or you may lose the seat. Around this time of the year, I would say even within 2 hrs or less.

I got accepted to Joplin on Saturday morning! So there is hope till the first day of class. Sending my positive vibes your way :)

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know how many people are in orientation for KC campus? If theres less than 270 people in orientation it would seem that some spots are open...Please reply if you have any info on this!

Does anyone know how many people are in orientation for KC campus? If theres less than 270 people in orientation it would seem that some spots are open...Please reply if you have any info on this!
Apparently someone reported that there were 280+ people in the orientation. So I guess KCU already overfilled the class to adjust for people who might drop out. I think it is now safe to say that there won't be anymore movement. This is the second time in a row I was waitlisted and tried contacting the admission committee many times to ask for feedback and got no response back as of yet. If anyone knows how to contact the admissions please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Apparently someone reported that there were 280+ people in the orientation. So I guess KCU already overfilled the class to adjust for people who might drop out. I think it is now safe to say that there won't be anymore movement. This is the second time in a row I was waitlisted and tried contacting the admission committee many times to ask for feedback and got no response back as of yet. If anyone knows how to contact the admissions please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.
Admissions confirmed this is not true. They said class remains always 270 in KC and 162 in Joplin

• Wow