2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They had mentioned that it was going to be closer to orientation. I have the block schedule they gave us if you want that for now!
I think I have the screenshot of it somewhere in my camera roll already, but thank you! I just don’t want to put anything in my calendar until it’s been made official just in case changes are made but I’m so excited so waiting is dreadful

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
When do they usually post the official block and orientation schedule to the matriculation website?? I know they gave us a quick glimpse during accepted students day but it sounded like it wasn’t quite the final version yet.
Wondering the same thing and white coat.. were getting close

They typically only say things like “thank you we’ve saved this to your file”. Admissions also has 0 information about the WL, or at least none they’re sharing. There’s been minimal movement and all their responses are generic “there hasn’t been a lot of movement yet and we can’t say when there will be”. Hang in there friend
Exactly! I tried reaching out to them as well and so disappointed that they said the class is full and they do not know when the WL movement will begin :( Hope we all make it off the WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I have the screenshot of it somewhere in my camera roll already, but thank you! I just don’t want to put anything in my calendar until it’s been made official just in case changes are made but I’m so excited so waiting is dreadful
I feel you. I wrote it all in pencil just in case things change!

Exactly! I tried reaching out to them as well and so disappointed that they said the class is full and they do not know when the WL movement will begin :( Hope we all make it off the WL.
They didn’t mention to me that the class was full, just that they didn’t know when WL would move. I really doubt the class is 100% full!

When do they usually post the official block and orientation schedule to the matriculation website?? I know they gave us a quick glimpse during accepted students day but it sounded like it wasn’t quite the final version yet.
Current students haven't even heard back yet about the block schedule and when breaks are.

I also am thinking it's unlikely the class is already full, because I just checked last year's SDN thread and there were frequent WL acceptance posts starting June 1. I really can't explain why we haven't had that same movement yet almost two weeks later than last year though.
They might be transitioning back on campus which could delay things. None of the people I know on the WL have moved today either. I’m starting to think heavy movement will happen in early July.

Keep the hope alive guys. It’s not over till it’s over.
Having said that, know that this is a profoundly different cycle and it’s very likely that the way they have gone about doing things is different. It could be that we see WL movement happen in July or even in two hours, or there could be no WL movement at all.

I’ve been racking my brain about this cycle and it would not surprise me if schools just like this one over-interviewed and over-accepted candidates because they were expecting a fluid cycle such as this one.

Lots of different ways to think this through. Just know that no one has the answers and this is all speculative. Stay strong, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Just got an email that I was accepted off the waitlist at Joplin. Currently accepted at another school and I have to let KCU know by Monday. I’ll keep y’all posted.

Reactions: 9 users
Just got an email that I was accepted off the waitlist at Joplin. Currently accepted at another school and I have to let KCU know by Monday. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Congrats! So happy to know movement is happening!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For those on the WL, how are y'all making plans (such as housing) with your accepted schools? Because KCU accepts people off the WL till the first day of classes and that makes things more unclear about committing to the accepted schools.

1623449225967.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats??

Are we absolutely required to be on campus for the orientation? Reason why I'm asking is because I want to spend the last days with my family and their vacation starts in July.

Are we absolutely required to be on campus for the orientation? Reason why I'm asking is because I want to spend the last days with my family and their vacation starts in July.
I’m assuming yes cause it’s a combination of online and in person. Wish we had a schedule 😅

I’m assuming yes cause it’s a combination of online and in person. Wish we had a schedule 😅
Off topic but If it is half online and half in person, do you know if we get fed during the in person part at least? Not the biggest fan of cooking and heard orientation usually has food.

• Haha
Off topic but If it is half online and half in person, do you know if we get fed during the in person part at least? Not the biggest fan of cooking and heard orientation usually has food.
LMAO this had me cracking up😂 Was thinking the same thing hahaha. Current students might know.. I hope so

Yes. The school has required a lot from the students especially this past year where students couldn't see their families if they their family lived outside the 4 surrounding states (MO, KS, AR, OK). I get that your vacation starts in July and you want to spend the rest of that time with your family but medical school and every year after that will be requiring a lot from you that will require you missing time with your friends and family.

Yes. The school has required a lot from the students especially this past year where students couldn't see their families if they their family lived outside the 4 surrounding states (MO, KS, AR, OK). I get that your vacation starts in July and you want to spend the rest of that time with your family but medical school and every year after that will be requiring a lot from you that will require you missing time with your friends and family.
Couldn't agree more. You will find that medical school is a never-ending stream of harsh decisions that will undoubtedly take a heavy toll on your personal life in one way or another.

I like to describe it like an attending once told me. "It is like being married to medicine, who is a cruel spouse."

Reactions: 2 users
I’ve accepted the offer and I’ll be going to KCU-Joplin! Super excited to come! If anyone needs a roommate or anything please message me.

Reactions: 12 users
I just withdrew my spot at the Kansas City campus bc got off a waitlist at a med school in my hometown!! Hope someone awesome gets it :)

Reactions: 16 users
They never mentioned anything about being full to me and I asked yesterday. Just said “there hasn’t been a lot of waitlist movement yet”
So I had signed up for the skype chat session for accepted or interviewing students last week. And when I asked about the WL movement, they said that the class is currently full but as people leave, WLed candidates maybe offered a spot. But said, they won’t not know when or how many spots they will be offering.

I also wondered if its really full because atleast people on SDN are nice to let us know when they resind their acceptance. And we are seeing movement now as some of us are getting accepted. So i am still rooting for all of us to get an A! 😊 Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 6 users
So I had signed up for the skype chat session for accepted or interviewing students last week. And when I asked about the WL movement, they said that the class is currently full but as people leave, WLed candidates maybe offered a spot. But said, they won’t not know when or how many spots they will be offering.

I also wondered if its really full because atleast people on SDN are nice to let us know when they resind their acceptance. And we are seeing movement now as some of us are getting accepted. So i am still rooting for all of us to get an A! 😊 Fingers crossed.
Keep in mind that some med schools (not certain this includes KCU) send out more acceptances than spots available. So even if some people here on SDN notify that they're withdrawing that may not necessarily equal a waitlisted applicant being called up

Keep in mind that some med schools (not certain this includes KCU) send out more acceptances than spots available. So even if some people here on SDN notify that they're withdrawing that may not necessarily equal a waitlisted applicant being called up

Indeed. I believe this is the case for KCU.
This has been an interesting cycle and while I still am expecting waitlist movement, I do not think it will be anywhere near the same level as it was during previous years.

Keep your hopes up Waitlisters, and be proud you made it this far in such an unprecedented year.

Well...I guess it's time to reschedule the MCAT and apply for next cycle a year from now. Don't have much faith I'll be off the waitlist at this point judging from the above comments (and KCU was my only interview). Oh well, it's fine.

• Care
Let’s stay positive and not spread any misinformation/info we don’t know. It’s a tough spot being on the WL and comments like these send people in a frenzy. Unless we know 100% that the waitlist will not move- let’s not say this. And we do know for certain it’s not game over, as admissions has told many people that waitlist movement isnt over for the summer.

good luck to everyone!

Well...I guess it's time to reschedule the MCAT and apply for next cycle a year from now. Don't have much faith I'll be off the waitlist at this point judging from the above comments (and KCU was my only interview). Oh well, it's fine.
Those comments are people speculating and not from admissions. Be proactive and plan for your future, but please keep some faith and don’t completely base your plan off of some comments on sdn. You’ve got this! :)

Reactions: 10 users
Any updates on WL movement? I've been thinking about calling Admissions to ask if they see themselves calling any more people or if it seems like the class has been finalized

Any updates on WL movement? I've been thinking about calling Admissions to ask if they see themselves calling any more people or if it seems like the class has been finalized
I think it would be impossible for them to know. The way I see it is the March 1st or whatever (can't remember date) deadline for the second deposit payment was when they'd have their first group of spots that would open up, but then they may have filled those with late interviewers or just let those spots accommodate their initial overfilling. Then the deadline for committing to one school, May 15th or whatever it is, would be when their second group of spots would open up and they'd fill with waitlist spots once they've had enough people drop from the assumed initial overfilling.

So, basically, somewhere shortly after May 15th, you'd expect to see multiple people come off the waitlist. Then from that point forward, the only movement would be from the sort of waitlist cascade amongst all programs, where someone gets off the waitlist somewhere, takes that spot, opening up their current spot, and then that spot now needs to be filled. So spots can theoretically open up all the way until classes start, but it would require a current accepted student to get off the waitlist elsewhere and thus forfeit their spot. It wouldn't make sense to me that this process would occur any other way, and that goes for all medical schools. I say that because med schools have all finished interviews a while ago. So they have known their current pool of applicants for plenty long enough and wouldn't be holding spots open for no reason or taking this long to make decisions on a group of spots.

I think it would be impossible for them to know. The way I see it is the March 1st or whatever (can't remember date) deadline for the second deposit payment was when they'd have their first group of spots that would open up, but then they may have filled those with late interviewers or just let those spots accommodate their initial overfilling. Then the deadline for committing to one school, May 15th or whatever it is, would be when their second group of spots would open up and they'd fill with waitlist spots once they've had enough people drop from the assumed initial overfilling.

So, basically, somewhere shortly after May 15th, you'd expect to see multiple people come off the waitlist. Then from that point forward, the only movement would be from the sort of waitlist cascade amongst all programs, where someone gets off the waitlist somewhere, takes that spot, opening up their current spot, and then that spot now needs to be filled. So spots can theoretically open up all the way until classes start, but it would require a current accepted student to get off the waitlist elsewhere and thus forfeit their spot. It wouldn't make sense to me that this process would occur any other way, and that goes for all medical schools. I say that because med schools have all finished interviews a while ago. So they have known their current pool of applicants for plenty long enough and wouldn't be holding spots open for no reason or taking this long to make decisions on a group of spots.
You’re right, I’m letting the anxiety get to me. Have to focus on what’s ahead and on what I can actually control. I appreciate the reality check!

You’re right, I’m letting the anxiety get to me. Have to focus on what’s ahead and on what I can actually control. I appreciate the reality check!
It's all good. I just see these types of posts a lot on many school pages, and I don't think the process is as mysterious as people seem to give it credit for, especially at this stage in the game. I would assume spots will continue to open up until the start date. I would guess it won't be a lot, but it'd be impossible to know. What I don't have any clue about is how positively or negatively impactful it would be to inquire about it. I would imagine some admissions offices would just be annoyed at people questioning them, while others might see it as a stronger desire to be at their program. I really have no idea. So I wouldn't want to dissuade you from using your own judgment on what's best for your cycle. I just wanted to shed some light on a question that I have seen a lot. Either way, I sincerely wish you luck. I know how anxiety inducing and stressful this process can be.

Reactions: 2 users
hey yall kinda buzzed right now but wanted to say I got off the waitlist and accepted to the Joplin campus.

just wanted to bring my fellow waitlisters hope and a reminder that it ain't over til its over.

:)

okay back to drinking, PEACE

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users
hey yall kinda buzzed right now but wanted to say I got off the waitlist and accepted to the Joplin campus.

just wanted to bring my fellow waitlisters hope and a reminder that it ain't over til its over.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Happy drinking :)

I also was accepted off the waitlist to the joplin campus yesterday!

Lol I was also slightly buzzed and am currently traveling so had a momentary shock when I saw that email. Definitely had lost hope for KCU because there was no tiering on waitlist or no like other consistent communication but I guess our acceptances are now confirmation that the waitlist is in fact MOVING.

Cheers y'all (quite literally).

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I got accepted into KCU’s Kansas City Campus! For everyone on the WL, don’t give up hope! Im rooting for you 🤞🏾

Reactions: 21 users
I got accepted into KCU’s Kansas City Campus! For everyone on the WL, don’t give up hope! Im rooting for you 🤞🏾
Congratulations, very happy for you! Was this today? And also would you mind sharing if you submitted an LOI?

Congratulations, very happy for you! Was this today? And also would you mind sharing if you submitted an LOI?
Thank you so much! Yeah, of course! It did happen today and I did submit an LOI with an additional letter of recommendation too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Does anyone know if our orientation is until 6pm every weekday including Fridays?

i’m trying to make a flight on Friday to see friends.