Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just a quick question (sorry if its been asked before..): Does LECOM accept additional of LoRs?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure we require such a post every week. I certainly hope so ... but I don't think it will ...
I wonder if the day will be Monday. Assuming the group interviewing this friday has the ED option. Other wise it is definitely on the 30th! They are holding out on purpose. I can't any longer haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if the day will be Monday. Assuming the group interviewing this friday has the ED option. Other wise it is definitely on the 30th! They are holding out on purpose. I can't any longer haha

I have decided that they are mailing them all out on the 30th, at the earliest. I would bet that even if they have made decisions earlier, that they will batch the mailing and do it all at once. If this turns out to be untrue, I will be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, having decided that I am not going to hear anything until mid-October means that I can relax and wait without panic because my letter isn't here yet. Managed expectations yield better perceived outcomes. That applies to as well to applicants as to our future patients.

Reactions: 1 users
I have decided that they are mailing them all out on the 30th, at the earliest. I would bet that even if they have made decisions earlier, that they will batch the mailing and do it all at once. If this turns out to be untrue, I will be pleasantly surprised. Otherwise, having decided that I am not going to hear anything until mid-October means that I can relax and wait without panic because my letter isn't here yet. Managed expectations yield better perceived outcomes. That applies to as well to applicants as to our future patients.

Been waiting since August so my patience is wearing a bit thin.

I got you though. I just want to know asap

Reactions: 1 user
Been waiting since August so my patience is wearing a bit thin.

I got you though. I just want to know asap

This wait is agonizing...worse than waiting for the mcat scores lol.

Reactions: 2 users
II today!!!!! I can't even begin to express how excited this makes me! Last cycle I didn't get a single II and had silence until March at 90% of my schools. This one I got after submitting my secondary Friday. I think I might be dreaming. The only thing that scares me is that on my application portal shows all my prerequisites and LOR are still the red box. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting and those with upcoming interviews!

II today!!!!! I can't even begin to express how excited this makes me! Last cycle I didn't get a single II and had silence until March at 90% of my schools. This one I got after submitting my secondary Friday. I think I might be dreaming. The only thing that scares me is that on my application portal shows all my prerequisites and LOR are still the red box. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting and those with upcoming interviews!

Congrats, don't worry those red boxes stick around for a while before they're finally gone

Congrats, don't worry those red boxes stick around for a while before they're finally gone
Thank you! The part in the email about the LoR and the requirements being filled out before the interview scared me when I saw the red boxes.

I have this mindset with every school BUT LECOM since it was my first II. Today marks 6 weeks since my interview, and they have been painstaking. The good news is we have 1.5 business weeks left to hear!

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if the interviewees from today had the early decision choice

I wonder if the interviewees from today had the early decision choice

I wouldn't be surprised. What I really want to know is if the folks this coming Friday get the choice to have their decision sent out on Sept 30. If so, please allow me to kick myself for not scheduling on that date, to limit the waiting.

I keep getting myself convince that it is cool, I'm so in, I might as well write the deposit check and address the envelope so it is all ready to go in the mail the moment I get their letter... and then I remind myself not to set myself up to be crushed when it is a rejection, or worse, a spot on the waitlist.

I know that I just need to chill, but I have myself so psyched about Erie that pretty much anything else besides maybe PCOM is going to be a major disappointment. I have to keep talking to myself as if I were giving advice to someone else. "Chill. Don't be a neurotic pre-med. There is nothing more you can do to influence the decision now. Play some freaking xbox and or go work some overtime or something productive."

Much easier to give that advice than to take it.

I wouldn't be surprised. What I really want to know is if the folks this coming Friday get the choice to have their decision sent out on Sept 30. If so, please allow me to kick myself for not scheduling on that date, to limit the waiting.

I keep getting myself convince that it is cool, I'm so in, I might as well write the deposit check and address the envelope so it is all ready to go in the mail the moment I get their letter... and then I remind myself not to set myself up to be crushed when it is a rejection, or worse, a spot on the waitlist.

I know that I just need to chill, but I have myself so psyched about Erie that pretty much anything else besides maybe PCOM is going to be a major disappointment. I have to keep talking to myself as if I were giving advice to someone else. "Chill. Don't be a neurotic pre-med. There is nothing more you can do to influence the decision now. Play some freaking xbox and or go work some overtime or something productive."

That is exactly how I feel. I choose the earlier dates because I thought I would get a decision faster and have a better chance of getting in, due to more seats being available. Historically, LECOM has sent out decisions very early. Now the wait it killing me. I am sure they've interviewed about 200+ students by now, so I wonder how they'll decide also.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is exactly how I feel. I choose the earlier dates because I thought I would get a decision faster and have a better chance of getting in, due to more seats being available. Historically, LECOM has sent out decisions very early. Now the wait it killing me. I am sure they've interviewed about 200+ students by now, so I wonder how they'll decide also.

Most will likely send in their deposits. Half of the rest will probably drop by December for other schools.

Every year before this, LECOM sent out acceptances 1-2 weeks post interview. Students complained since LECOM starts interviewing early, that short time frame early on to give the deposit prevented them from considering other schools

This new system is advantageous to those who want to keep their options open, but for people like a few of us, who are very certain to pay the deposit immediately, it's a little stressful !

About 2 more weeks ... I'm "cheating" on LECOM for a bit to interview at PCOM

Why do you love LECOM so much?

It's a great school. I've already interviewed at plenty of schools. It's better than 70% of DO schools you'll see during the cycle and it's got a literally a 99% graduation rate which compared to most schools is enormous.

The only reason you would not interview here is if you have no option at all to get a DO lor.

It's a great school. I've already interviewed at plenty of schools. It's better than 70% of DO schools you'll see during the cycle and it's got a literally a 99% graduation rate which compared to most schools is enormous.

The only reason you would not interview here is if you have no option at all to get a DO lor.

Only applying to 4 LECOM being one of them. The other 3 are really good so its gonna be tough to beat the other ones!

The 99 percent grad rate and really good match list is encouraging. Not sure about the area and I hear varying things about administration. However I think I will like it here so I guess I will see. Hopefully they interview me!

Let me count the ways:

1) PCSP / DSP pathways. I'm older, nontrad, and I prefer independent study whenever possible. PCSP would let me graduate in 3 years using the DSP curriculum, and at my age, every year counts. If I can't get one of those 12 seats, I still have a shot at getting into the DSP pathway, taking an extra year but then having a few more options upon graduation in trade. I don't know of any other school that offers so many options to get the DO degree. PBL would be hell for me.
2) I can name at least 10 LECOM graduates with whom I've worked over the past few years. Every single one is very positive about the school and the education they received there. There isn't one of them who hasn't impressed me with their knowledge, clinical skills, and personable / approachable bedside manner. I'd be honored to count myself among them.
3) Location. 2 hours from home and near people I care about. Also, as much as I love Philadelphia, Erie really grew on me quickly. I could enjoy my time there, snow not withstanding.
4) $30k/yr tuition, low cost of living. Every dollar I don't have to borrow is 2-3 that I don't have to repay.

Plus a dozen other minor perks. It basically comes down to me being able to picture myself there. PCOM is a lot older, with more traditions and name recognition/reputation, and it is situated in one of my favorite places in the world. I like the culture of the school a lot, as well, and it has also produced some of my favorite doctors. That all has a lot of appeal. The extra $10k tuition plus higher cost of living means I will probably have to borrow a lot more, even though they have more funds available for scholarships. And it is a few hours further away. I would still be delighted to be accepted there, but now that I have seen both schools, LECOM has edged PCOM out of my top spot.

Let me count the ways:

1) PCSP / DSP pathways. I'm older, nontrad, and I prefer independent study whenever possible. PCSP would let me graduate in 3 years using the DSP curriculum, and at my age, every year counts. If I can't get one of those 12 seats, I still have a shot at getting into the DSP pathway, taking an extra year but then having a few more options upon graduation in trade. I don't know of any other school that offers so many options to get the DO degree. PBL would be hell for me.
2) I can name at least 10 LECOM graduates with whom I've worked over the past few years. Every single one is very positive about the school and the education they received there. There isn't one of them who hasn't impressed me with their knowledge, clinical skills, and personable / approachable bedside manner. I'd be honored to count myself among them.
3) Location. 2 hours from home and near people I care about. Also, as much as I love Philadelphia, Erie really grew on me quickly. I could enjoy my time there, snow not withstanding.
4) $30k/yr tuition, low cost of living. Every dollar I don't have to borrow is 2-3 that I don't have to repay.

Plus a dozen other minor perks. It basically comes down to me being able to picture myself there. PCOM is a lot older, with more traditions and name recognition/reputation, and it is situated in one of my favorite places in the world. I like the culture of the school a lot, as well, and it has also produced some of my favorite doctors. That all has a lot of appeal. The extra $10k tuition plus higher cost of living means I will probably have to borrow a lot more, even though they have more funds available for scholarships. And it is a few hours further away. I would still be delighted to be accepted there, but now that I have seen both schools, LECOM has edged PCOM out of my top spot.

I have seen every DO school im applying to (expect lecom). PCOM for me was very impressive. I haven't seen LECOM yet though so maybe that will change.

Would you reccomend LECOM erie or Seton hill?

Assuming I get accepted to multiple medical schools (I have one so far) its going to be tough choosing!!!

Would you reccomend LECOM erie or Seton hill?

Seton Hill only offers PBL. If you want PBL, Seton Hill is closer to Pittsburgh and is spared the snow effect Erie experiences. It is also reputed to be less strict about many of the superficial rules people complain about. If you want anything besides PBL, that certainly means Erie. That was really the deciding factor for me. PBL is available at Erie, but only a few seats.

At the interview, they will go over the various pathways and you can consider which is best for you. Whether you go to Erie or Seton Hill for the interview, you can select the other campus as your preferred location. But I think it is better to go see Erie, because it has the most options. If you found that you were really more interested in Seton Hill, I think it would be easier to arrange a tour there after interviewing in Erie than the other way around.

Seton Hill only offers PBL. If you want PBL, Seton Hill is closer to Pittsburgh and is spared the snow effect Erie experiences. It is also reputed to be less strict about many of the superficial rules people complain about. If you want anything besides PBL, that certainly means Erie. That was really the deciding factor for me. PBL is available at Erie, but only a few seats.

At the interview, they will go over the various pathways and you can consider which is best for you. Whether you go to Erie or Seton Hill for the interview, you can select the other campus as your preferred location. But I think it is better to go see Erie, because it has the most options. If you found that you were really more interested in Seton Hill, I think it would be easier to arrange a tour there after interviewing in Erie than the other way around.

I put down Erie as my number one so if I get the interview (crossing fingers) I will ask about Seton hill also!

BTW how old are you that that one measley year is so interesting to you? Are you considered about truncating your education? You are certain to become a PCP? If so I what about the other scholarships you can get for PCP making other options more affordable!

BTW how old are you that that one measley year is so interesting to you? Are you considered about truncating your education? You are certain to become a PCP? If so I what about the other scholarships you can get for PCP making other options more affordable!

Old enough. And that one measley year is precious to me because it makes up for one that I lost to a bureaucratic snafu beyond my control. I was really bitter about that. At any age, a year is worth at least $200k-300k. ($50k tuition/expenses & $150-250k lost income potential)

I didn't expect to love the 3 year option so much. I had said that I wanted all 4 years of the medical school experience, having had to wait so long to be able to get started, and I told the friend who was trying to convince me to consider PCSP that there was no way.

Then I actually looked into the program. 20 months back to back didactic and 16 core rotations. The 8 rotations they trimmed away are basically audition rotations for various specialties that I already know I am not going into. Yes, I am 100% certain that I want to do Family Medicine. Internal Medicine doesn't have enough Peds, and Peds wouldn't limit my options to care for adults. I've worked in the OR for a number of years, so I've known enough surgeons to know that I don't want to be one. I've worked in adult med/surg and physician offices in a number of roles and I have a pretty solid idea of what I am getting myself into. Family Medicine lets me indulge all of my interests and accomplish specific community service goals. I have no problem making this commitment because I've had a few years to think it over and consider all the angles.

Sure, if I can get scholarships or a repayment program or whatever, that would be amazing. But I can't afford to count on it. I don't have parents who can help me if I stumble, and up to now, I have been the breadwinner for my family, so I only have my own resources to fall back on. I have to plan as if this is all coming out of my current and future earning potential, with no safety net. If it goes better than that, then I can relax and count my blessings. If I were a lot younger, inexperienced, uncertain about what I wanted out of my career, with extra decades ahead of me in which I could make up for mistakes, I wouldn't be as gung ho about this.

Old enough. And that one measley year is precious to me because it makes up for one that I lost to a bureaucratic snafu beyond my control. I was really bitter about that. At any age, a year is worth at least $200k-300k. ($50k tuition/expenses & $150-250k lost income potential)

I didn't expect to love the 3 year option so much. I had said that I wanted all 4 years of the medical school experience, having had to wait so long to be able to get started, and I told the friend who was trying to convince me to consider PCSP that there was no way.

Then I actually looked into the program. 20 months back to back didactic and 16 core rotations. The 8 rotations they trimmed away are basically audition rotations for various specialties that I already know I am not going into. Yes, I am 100% certain that I want to do Family Medicine. Internal Medicine doesn't have enough Peds, and Peds wouldn't limit my options to care for adults. I've worked in the OR for a number of years, so I've known enough surgeons to know that I don't want to be one. I've worked in adult med/surg and physician offices in a number of roles and I have a pretty solid idea of what I am getting myself into. Family Medicine lets me indulge all of my interests and accomplish specific community service goals. I have no problem making this commitment because I've had a few years to think it over and consider all the angles.

Sure, if I can get scholarships or a repayment program or whatever, that would be amazing. But I can't afford to count on it. I don't have parents who can help me if I stumble, and up to now, I have been the breadwinner for my family, so I only have my own resources to fall back on. I have to plan as if this is all coming out of my current and future earning potential, with no safety net. If it goes better than that, then I can relax and count my blessings. If I were a lot younger, inexperienced, uncertain about what I wanted out of my career, with extra decades ahead of me in which I could make up for mistakes, I wouldn't be as gung ho about this.
http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/

You should do this. Sounds like a good option for you and might change your outlook on what medical school is best for you!

Good luck

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/
You should do this. Sounds like a good option for you and might change your outlook on what medical school is best for you!

Thank you! I'm aware, and I will apply. But, as with medical school, application does not equal acceptance. Fewer than 10% of applicants to that program are actually awarded scholarships. I don't like those odds, given some of the cards I have stacked against me. Also, military is out due to age and other factors.

Good luck to you, too.

Thank you! I'm aware, and I will apply. But, as with medical school, application does not equal acceptance. Fewer than 10% of applicants to that program are actually awarded scholarships. I don't like those odds, given some of the cards I have stacked against me. Also, military is out due to age and other factors.

Good luck to you, too.

Well its certainly worth a shot. And medical school has a lower then 10 percent acceptance also!!!

how long does it take for letters to be posted after you received an interview invite and sent in the letters?

how long does it take for letters to be posted after you received an interview invite and sent in the letters?
Don't expect them to be post before Monday on the week of your interview. They update all the folder items on Monday before your Friday interview. No need to panic.

Don't expect them to be post before Monday on the week of your interview. They update all the folder items on Monday before your Friday interview. No need to panic.

thank u! cuz ive been freaking out haha

Hi guys,

I just received an interview invite and now I'm trying to plan out my trip (flight, ground transportation, and hotel)
I live in California.
Could someone who has gone through this process/ will be going this this process share how they planned out these details? Thank you!!!

Hi guys,

I just received an interview invite and now I'm trying to plan out my trip (flight, ground transportation, and hotel)
I live in California.
Could someone who has gone through this process/ will be going this this process share how they planned out these details? Thank you!!!
There isn't much planning. Arrive the day before, I recommend around 5-6 P.M. Book hotel and at that time tell them you need to be picked up from the airport at __ (arrival time) and dropped back to the airport after your interview**. The day ends around 1 P.M officially, otherwise a little earlier. Make sure your flight back is around 4 P.M it just gives enough time to maneuver if anything should come up. And oh, LECOM has a room where you can leave your luggage. Thats pretty much it.

**Hotels have a free shuttle to and from the airport.

Hi guys,

I live in California.

If you're interested in pinching pennies then it's about $200 cheaper to fly to Cleveland rather than Erie and a very easy 2-hour drive. Got a cheap rental car from the airport and drove to my hotel. Not a bad deal for the savings.

If you go through priceline, you don't get any additional discounts. I did name-your-own-price through priceline, starting about 3 weeks ahead of the interview. I bid for just thursday night before the interview, but I took advantage of the ability to extend an extra night, so I got both nights for $140 including taxes & fees.

I figured that an extra day to see the city that I might be spending the next 3-4 years in made good sense. If I had a lot of interviews to go on, I wouldn't have been so quick to spend the money, but I am probably not going to go on more than 2-3 interviews.

Be sure to look at plane flights Tuesday & Wednesday mornings at about 1:00 am. This is the cheapest time that they will have flights, and like LittleDavidBigger stated, look at the surrounding airports as well. I got a roundtrip ticket into Buffalo from Utah for $245 (when regularly it was about $500-$700 during the day) back in August, and rented a car for $50 for two days. After the interview, I just went back to Buffalo, and taste tested as many buffalo wings as I could handle. It doesn't have to be expensive if you shop the right times.
Costco also has some pretty cheap rates for car rentals, so check them out too if you have a membership. Hope this helps!

Picking up rental cars at airports tends to be a lot cheaper than getting them other places, especially if you use priceline to name your own price. I refuse to pay more than $20 per day for a rental car, and I can usually get them for closer to $14-15 base price. After you add on insurance (always get the insurance!) and fees, it looks a lot more like $25-35 per day. But that is so much cheaper than the advertised or walk up prices that can easily run $50-100 per day for the same car + insurance. I say always get the insurance they offer through priceline because it is $11 per day and saves you a ton of headaches if something happens to the car. If you buy it at the counter, some of the companies charge twice that or more for the same coverage. It is an easy and pleasant drive to Erie from several cities around. I drove up from the Pittsburgh airport on Thursday. If I had it to do over, I would have planned to spend more time there. Having rented the car for only two days was the only reason I didn't stay longer and make a whole weekend of it.

It's called Google or pick up your phone and calling. Not trying to be a jerk...

Just remember that for a lot of people, these interviews may be their very first time travelling like this alone. It is natural to want to ask for guidance. Besides, people who have done it might have insider tips that google wouldn't give up so easily to a novice traveler. And answering people gives me something to do besides obsess about whether LECOM is going to accept me.

Do you have any idea how clean my house is getting? I'm running out of chores to take my mind off the wait!

i flew into cleveland because it was much cheaper than erie or buffalo. then i rented a car that was quoted about $30 for the day. it was a super easy drive. about 2 hours. no tolls. however, i am under 25 so there was a HUGE fee which was not included in the original quote. I assumed there wasn't one with this company because the only note they had about being under 25 was not being able to rent luxury or suvs. so make sure you plan for that. it took my $30 car rental to over $150. :(

Everything is bleached & cloroxed in my apartment now. My wife thinks that I'm going nuts.
. And answering people gives me something to do besides obsess about whether LECOM is going to accept me.

Do you have any idea how clean my house is getting? I'm running out of chores to take my mind off the wait!

Just remember that for a lot of people, these interviews may be their very first time travelling like this alone. It is natural to want to ask for guidance. Besides, people who have done it might have insider tips that google wouldn't give up so easily to a novice traveler. And answering people gives me something to do besides obsess about whether LECOM is going to accept me.

I was just messing with OP...
I am so notorious on here...

the only note they had about being under 25 was not being able to rent luxury or suvs. so make sure you plan for that. it took my $30 car rental to over $150. :(

Yikes! I think priceline asks if the driver will be over 25. It has been so long since I was under 25 that I really didn't give that issue any thought at all. That really bites. There should totally be a pre-med discount. A 23 year old on their way to a med school interview is NOT the same as a 23 year old renting a car to drive on a crazy multistate road trip.

Literally was my first time. I appreciate your helpfulness

Guys!! My admission status has been changed to: The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also...why does it take 30 days to send a letter. Lol