Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if they allow you to substitute Biochem for O. Chem 2? I also have a question for current students, do you know of any students that don't have a car? I don't have a car right now, so trying to figure out if I definitely need one or not.

Anyone know if they allow you to substitute Biochem for O. Chem 2? I also have a question for current students, do you know of any students that don't have a car? I don't have a car right now, so trying to figure out if I definitely need one or not.

To be safe, you should call the admissions office directly and ask. It would probably be terrible if you got the wrong answer from this forum and ended up not meeting their requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)

Everybody I know has a car-- Greensburg isn't particularly walkable. I do know a few people who live closeby and walk to class so it might be doable, but thinks like getting groceries would be tricky.

Reactions: 1 users
Any student can shed light on the major differneces between pbl erie and pbl seton hill?
Also, how are rotations set up? What does it means that we set up our own rotations? Are we contacting hospitals and people?

I interviewed on 9/23, status has changed online (though not sure when). Anyone with a snail mail reply know how long it took to receive word?

My portal changed on a Thursday and I received the letter in the mail the next Monday. I live in Pennsylvania for whats it's worth.

I also have a question for current students, do you know of any students that don't have a car? I don't have a car right now, so trying to figure out if I definitely need one or not.
Everybody I know has a car-- Greensburg isn't particularly walkable. I do know a few people who live closeby and walk to class so it might be doable, but thinks like getting groceries would be tricky.

Seton Hill has a shuttle system that will pick you up from Greensburg proper with LECOM ID. Also, there's the Westmoreland Transit (http://www.westmorelandtransit.com/schedule.html) but I've never used it. A number of the apartment complexes (and houses) that LECOM students use are technically within walking distance, so if you absolutely need to walk, you can... but with how hilly Greensburg is and depending on the weather, you might not want to if you have another option.

Any student can shed light on the major differneces between pbl erie and pbl seton hill?
Also, how are rotations set up? What does it means that we set up our own rotations? Are we contacting hospitals and people?

this is a post from last year's thread regarding rotations : courtesy of @hallowmann

"The student body is responsible for setting up their rotations. What this means is that the student body president and VP of your class in SH will work with the student body president and VP of the same year class in Erie, and they will divide up rotations (or an algorithm will do it for them) based on a student survey that everyone (at Erie & SH) fills out. LECOM has a set of core rotations for all of its students. It is up to you to fill out a survey, in which you can rank 13's (clinical sites where you can do ALL of your core rotations), regions (city/state region in which you want to the majority of your rotations), OR schedule (when you want your vacation/electives to be in the year).

You are NOT calling up hospitals and setting up rotations yourself EXCEPT for electives/selectives (which everyone I know in other medical schools has to do anyways - using VSAS makes it easier too).

Now, ideally the algorithm works to give you your highest rank, but obviously some people will get their 1st choice whereas others may get 3rd or 4th, etc based purely on demand of where they ranked.

Now if you pick a 13, and there's enough room, you get placed in a specific schedule, and pretty much don't have to worry about anything. If you pick a region/schedule, you are placed in groups based on your rotation schedule (I think) and in your group, you divvy up rotations. Your group meets a few times in first semester second year for I think a total of ~10 hrs (so not really a huge time commitment).

That part is a bit hazy for me still, because I'm still a first year, and I haven't experienced it yet. That said, the only real time you are devoting to scheduling clinicals as a LECOM student is if you are class President/VP or if you choose to be your group's representative (each group has a representative that goes to meetings with the other representatives to bring up whatever their group wants to do).

Obviously you have to set up electives/selectives, but you can opt to have the clin ed department set them up for you, which is not ideal for you because they'll put you wherever they have empty spots that others don't want.

3. See above. They apparently implemented this method to give students more of a say in where they end up. They could easily just divide students wherever (apparently they've done this before), but that's not really in our best interest.

Appendix: Alpha Group - Alpha group is the group of students that have <2.5 GPA in medical school by the end of first year. If you fall into this group, you are required to do your 3rd year core rotations at one of 2 locations: Millcreek in Erie OR Arnot Ogden in Elmira, NY. These sites have a big LECOM presence, and if you are at risk (<2.5 GPA) you are placed here and your progress is monitored/supplemented. (Not really sure how this works.) They are both 13's with contracts with LECOM to take a chunk of students, so you will be able to do all your core rotations there and will be with a good amount of your classmates."

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on 9/23, status has changed online (though not sure when). Anyone with a snail mail reply know how long it took to receive word?

I also interviewed 9/23. I'm not exactly sure when my portal changed, but I noticed on 9/29 or 9/30 (1 week post interview). I still haven't received a letter (2 weeks post interview). Erie campus (2nd choice) says I should receive the letter within 10 days, SH (1st choice) says 30 days. Wouldn't they be the same letter though since they're sister campuses of the same school?

I can't make it to 3o days lol I've been compulsively checking my mail for a week already.... But I'm a little relieved I'm not the only one who hasn't received a letter yet!!

Last edited:

I also interviewed 9/23. I'm not exactly sure when my portal changed, but I noticed on 9/29 or 9/30 (1 week post interview). I still haven't received a letter (2 weeks post interview). Erie campus (2nd choice) says I should receive the letter within 10 days, SH (1st choice) says 30 days. Wouldn't they be the same letter though since they're sister campuses of the same school?

I can't make it to 3o days lol I've been compulsively checking my mail for a week already.... But I'm a little relieved I'm not the only one who hasn't received a letter yet!!

Update: Received my acceptance for Seton Hill 10/11/14 in the midwest, ~2.5 weeks post interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: interviewed 9/23 and accepted on 10/11 via snail mail.

II! is anyone interviewing with both bradenton and erie/seton hill?
Hi I just joined SDN to get some feedback about Seton Hill vs. Bradenton because I was accepted to both and can't afford to put a $1500 deposit down on both so I have to decide soon and I liked and disliked both for different reasons. Has anyone heard of any benefits of one over the other? (I realize this is a good problem to have but I still am having trouble making a decision)
I interviewed for Seton Hill back in July and didn't have a DO letter until early October so didn't hear back about my acceptance until this past Friday (10/10).
I interviewed for Bradenton on Monday (10/13) and they actually called me today (10/15) saying they saw that I had been accepted to Seton Hill and they told me over the phone I was accepted to Bradenton so that I wouldn't have to put a deposit down on both (which I thought was very nice of them).
GPA 3.4 MCAT 32
Again, does anyone have any insight in the pros/cons of one campus over the other?
Thanks!

For those who have interviewed or have an invite, how long after you submitted your secondary did you hear back about an interview? I sumbitted my secondary the first week of Sept and have not heard anything yet. Should I contact them to see whats up or does it typically take this long?

For those who have interviewed or have an invite, how long after you submitted your secondary did you hear back about an interview? I sumbitted my secondary the first week of Sept and have not heard anything yet. Should I contact them to see whats up or does it typically take this long?

I got an e-mail saying my supplemental was complete 8/19, II on 8/29, interviewed 9/23, status changed in online portal 9/29, received acceptance letter 10/11 in the midwest. non-trad applicant 3.5c/3.6s MCAT: 26 9V/6P/11B, master's&3 years med tech. Hope that helps!

Edit: I should also add that I interviewed in March of last year, was waitlisted, then reapplied much earlier this year.

Last edited:
Hi I just joined SDN to get some feedback about Seton Hill vs. Bradenton because I was accepted to both and can't afford to put a $1500 deposit down on both so I have to decide soon and I liked and disliked both for different reasons. Has anyone heard of any benefits of one over the other? (I realize this is a good problem to have but I still am having trouble making a decision)
I interviewed for Seton Hill back in July and didn't have a DO letter until early October so didn't hear back about my acceptance until this past Friday (10/10).
I interviewed for Bradenton on Monday (10/13) and they actually called me today (10/15) saying they saw that I had been accepted to Seton Hill and they told me over the phone I was accepted to Bradenton so that I wouldn't have to put a deposit down on both (which I thought was very nice of them).
GPA 3.4 MCAT 32
Again, does anyone have any insight in the pros/cons of one campus over the other?
Thanks!

Bradenton has a longer track record, and in turn a longer record of better pass rates and higher board scores. Plus it's in FL near a beach. SH has only graduated 2 classes, and they've only had like 2 yrs of 98-100% board pass rates vs. 5+ years for LECOM-B. On that info alone LECOM-B seems like the better choice.

That said, I know nothing about LECOM-B's rotations (LECOM-E & SH share the same batch of rotation sites) or how it is day-to-day and on campus there, so you might benefit from talking to LECOM-B students.

Either way, congratulations! Both great schools!

Bradenton has a longer track record, and in turn a longer record of better pass rates and higher board scores. Plus it's in FL near a beach. SH has only graduated 2 classes, and they've only had like 2 yrs of 98-100% board pass rates vs. 5+ years for LECOM-B. On that info alone LECOM-B seems like the better choice.

That said, I know nothing about LECOM-B's rotations (LECOM-E & SH share the same batch of rotation sites) or how it is day-to-day and on campus there, so you might benefit from talking to LECOM-B students.

Just a quick question but have you heard anything about the LECOM-UPMC relationship?

Just a quick question but have you heard anything about the LECOM-UPMC relationship?

The main issue appears to be one between UPMC and Highmark/AHN. Because LECOM recieved a lot of money from Highmark and has had a close relationship with them for quite sometime, this was essentially one of many acts in the feud between the two. LECOM students in turn can't rotate at any UPMC locations with the exception of a few, like UPMC Horizon (a year-long site), UPMC Hamot and UPMC Bedford.

The thing is, out of this, LECOM did end up getting AHN (in Pittsburgh) as a year-long site with a decent amount of spots, which is something, and overall it doesn't seemed to have significantly affected the number of spots available for rotations (as many more have been added). That said, don't expect to rotate at any UPMC locations besides the ones I mentioned above.

thank you for your feedback!!

this is a post from last year's thread regarding rotations : courtesy of @hallowmann

"The student body is responsible for setting up their rotations. What this means is that the student body president and VP of your class in SH will work with the student body president and VP of the same year class in Erie, and they will divide up rotations (or an algorithm will do it for them) based on a student survey that everyone (at Erie & SH) fills out. LECOM has a set of core rotations for all of its students. It is up to you to fill out a survey, in which you can rank 13's (clinical sites where you can do ALL of your core rotations), regions (city/state region in which you want to the majority of your rotations), OR schedule (when you want your vacation/electives to be in the year).

You are NOT calling up hospitals and setting up rotations yourself EXCEPT for electives/selectives (which everyone I know in other medical schools has to do anyways - using VSAS makes it easier too).

Now, ideally the algorithm works to give you your highest rank, but obviously some people will get their 1st choice whereas others may get 3rd or 4th, etc based purely on demand of where they ranked.

Now if you pick a 13, and there's enough room, you get placed in a specific schedule, and pretty much don't have to worry about anything. If you pick a region/schedule, you are placed in groups based on your rotation schedule (I think) and in your group, you divvy up rotations. Your group meets a few times in first semester second year for I think a total of ~10 hrs (so not really a huge time commitment).

That part is a bit hazy for me still, because I'm still a first year, and I haven't experienced it yet. That said, the only real time you are devoting to scheduling clinicals as a LECOM student is if you are class President/VP or if you choose to be your group's representative (each group has a representative that goes to meetings with the other representatives to bring up whatever their group wants to do).

Obviously you have to set up electives/selectives, but you can opt to have the clin ed department set them up for you, which is not ideal for you because they'll put you wherever they have empty spots that others don't want.

3. See above. They apparently implemented this method to give students more of a say in where they end up. They could easily just divide students wherever (apparently they've done this before), but that's not really in our best interest.

Appendix: Alpha Group - Alpha group is the group of students that have <2.5 GPA in medical school by the end of first year. If you fall into this group, you are required to do your 3rd year core rotations at one of 2 locations: Millcreek in Erie OR Arnot Ogden in Elmira, NY. These sites have a big LECOM presence, and if you are at risk (<2.5 GPA) you are placed here and your progress is monitored/supplemented. (Not really sure how this works.) They are both 13's with contracts with LECOM to take a chunk of students, so you will be able to do all your core rotations there and will be with a good amount of your classmates."
I've also been told by students and by the student affairs VP that you have a better chance of getting the rotations you want if you have a high GPA. they rank that way as well

I've also been told by students and by the student affairs VP that you have a better chance of getting the rotations you want if you have a high GPA. they rank that way as well

This depends on where you want to go. As of now, the only year-long site that has a GPA requirement (outside of alpha group sites) is San Diego Regional, and that requires a 3.0 or above GPA. I believe UPMC Hamot (not a year-long site) also requires a 3.0+ med school GPA. Besides that, it doesn't matter as long as you are above a 2.5 (below that, you're in the alpha group and restricted to the sites I mentioned).

Whether or not GPA other than that is taken into account depends on how your president and VP want to handle rotations. Personally, if they wanted to limit more sites based on GPA that sounds messed up to me, because GPA does not necessarily correlate with class rank, especially in PBL.

have anyone who interviewed 10/7 received word yet? when were we suppose to hear back?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between LECOM Seton Hill and PCOM. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, but have been in Philly for the past six years so it's a toss up. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Hey everyone, I'm trying to decide between LECOM Seton Hill and PCOM. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, but have been in Philly for the past six years so it's a toss up. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated :)
money primarily as both are great schools. or any glaring preferences for curriculum (idk much about either school's, but obviously if one was required attendance and the other not, then prob pick the latter), etc.

primarily money is a big deciding factor. even a 5 grand difference per year over the 4 years can easily double or triple over the life of the loan repayment.

I noticed my status changed in the portal to "Admission committee has made a decision on your application. you will be receive offical notice within 30 days".
Does this mean a "Admission " or a "Rejection" . Did anybody experience this .

Anybody else have this status??

I noticed my status changed in the portal to "Admission committee has made a decision on your application. you will be receive offical notice within 30 days".
Does this mean a "Admission " or a "Rejection" . Did anybody experience this .

Anybody else have this status??
Did you interview here? I got this message last year from Bradenton and it was a rejection so that is what my guess would be, but I'm sure someone else will have a better answer.

Can any current students comment on possible research either at LECOM-SH or the surrounding area?

Can any current students comment on possible research either at LECOM-SH or the surrounding area?
No research at LECOM-SH that I know of and I haven't heard of anything in the area.

Is anyone interested in sharing a car for 11/19? Please message me. :)

No research at LECOM-SH that I know of and I haven't heard of anything in the area.

Pittsburgh has tons of opportunities for research. Plus there are some national and (very few) local opportunities for research, but you have to be proactive and find a lot of that stuff yourself.

does LECOM-SH have a simulated patient lab?
Ummm....... Seton Hill doesn't have anything but a couple of study rooms, an OMT room, and a lecture room. About as barebones of a facility as you can get, but the students seemed to really like it.

How do most people do housing at LECOM-SH? That's making me the most anxious right now even though I know I have several months to freak out. But do most people have roommates? Because I haven't seen much action on the LECOM portal (I know I know, it's still early...) But I'll have to fly out there to sign a lease, so if classes start end of July, is the beginning of June a reasonable time to go? Or will a lot of things have already been taken?

is anyone interviewing at 12/17? and driving to Pittsburgh, PA after the interview? please PM!!

Really? I am the first here? Cool.

So, the more I hear about LECOM, particularly Seton Hill, the more sure I am that it is where I'm going. Now, to convince the adcom.

Applied, In State, this is my #1.

Hello, I was just curious what made you prefer Seton Hill campus over than other LECOM schools? Also, I'm an oos applicant and was wondering if you had any particular "in-stater's" knowledge on Seton Hill that made you want this location.

How do most people do housing at LECOM-SH? That's making me the most anxious right now even though I know I have several months to freak out. But do most people have roommates? Because I haven't seen much action on the LECOM portal (I know I know, it's still early...) But I'll have to fly out there to sign a lease, so if classes start end of July, is the beginning of June a reasonable time to go? Or will a lot of things have already been taken?

Most students begin to look for housing in May/June. It depends on when you want to move in, really-- I wanted to move in in June, so I drove over in May to look around. There are plenty of students that have roommates, and there are plenty that do not... it's a matter of personal preference, and there are pros and cons to both situations. If you don't have a lot of necessities in terms of what you're looking for (ex: you need a place that allows large pets), there shouldn't be too many problems with finding a place to live at any time. If you're interested in a roommate, most people coordinate through their class's LECOM facebook group. A lot of the apartment complexes in the area post through most apartment-searching websites (trulia, for example) but many of the people that rent houses post through craigslist. There's a huge housing document on the shared LECOM facebook page that previous students have prepared as a general guide to the area's most-used housing.

EDIT: also, keep on the lookout for 2nd years moving out. Many times we keep rental houses "in the family", so I'm sure come April/May we'll start posting memos to fill our vacated positions via facebook.

Last edited:
Most students begin to look for housing in May/June. It depends on when you want to move in, really-- I wanted to move in in June, so I drove over in May to look around. There are plenty of students that have roommates, and there are plenty that do not... it's a matter of personal preference, and there are pros and cons to both situations. If you don't have a lot of necessities in terms of what you're looking for (ex: you need a place that allows large pets), there shouldn't be too many problems with finding a place to live at any time. If you're interested in a roommate, most people coordinate through their class's LECOM facebook group. A lot of the apartment complexes in the area post through most apartment-searching websites (trulia, for example) but many of the people that rent houses post through craigslist. There's a huge housing document on the shared LECOM facebook page that previous students have prepared as a general guide to the area's most-used housing.

EDIT: also, keep on the lookout for 2nd years moving out. Many times we keep rental houses "in the family", so I'm sure come April/May we'll start posting memos to fill our vacated positions via facebook.

Thanks!! I'll keep an eye out for the facebook posts. I do have a 50# lab to consider, so hopefully that doesn't limit me to only crappy apartments in town.

is there a fb page for seton hill 2018 and 2017? I haven't been able to find them.

is there a fb page for seton hill 2018 and 2017? I haven't been able to find them.

There are, but they are not easily identifiable/searchable. Housing posts will either be made in the main LECOM Seton Hill facebook group or in the Class of 2019 group. That housing document is also on the main Seton Hill facebook group under "files".

I'm in the same shoesbut interviewed recently, does that mean we are expecting two letters one from each campus?