Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in the same shoesbut interviewed recently, does that mean we are expecting two letters one from each campus?
Yeah I got two separate letters, but received them on the same day.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone make a fb or sdn group for c/o 2019? I saw someone made a page, but.. well.. that's just not the same thing as a group and isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I've been fortunate to have been accepted here. I was wondering what the matriculation requirements are in terms of grades after acceptance? Is it just passing? Minimum GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! @PreMedMeg volunteered for the Job! Just PM her a snapshot of your acceptance letter and she'll send you a link to the fb group page!

Hey guys, I've been fortunate to have been accepted here. I was wondering what the matriculation requirements are in terms of grades after acceptance? Is it just passing? Minimum GPA?

probably just at least maintain your GPA. as long as you don't fail any pre-reqs or drop your GPA significant/below a threshold you are proably fine. might be best to contact them though.

@Doghead was just agreeing with you that a page isnt' the way to go, I don't want to be in charge of the facebook group

Aim for C's or above. Obviously try your best to do as well as you can, but try very hard to stay at least at a C or above.

just found out through my portal that I received an interview today for SH! Still waiting for the email. This is my first so I'm really excited and nervous.

Also, my portal for Erie says I will be notified in 10 days--does that generally mean that I didn't even get an interview?
How do the interviews/acceptances for Erie/Seton Hill work? Are the decisions and schools completely independent of each other?

just found out through my portal that I received an interview today for SH! Still waiting for the email. This is my first so I'm really excited and nervous.

Also, my portal for Erie says I will be notified in 10 days--does that generally mean that I didn't even get an interview?
How do the interviews/acceptances for Erie/Seton Hill work? Are the decisions and schools completely independent of each other?
From what I understood during my interview at Seton Hill, our interview counted towards both campuses. At the conclusion of your interview, you ranked the two campuses and the learning pathways.

@Doghead was just agreeing with you that a page isnt' the way to go, I don't want to be in charge of the facebook group
Alright Doghead, it's all you!
Alright you hooligans, if no one has made a group by the time we need to start getting our stuff together and coordinating for questions/roommates, then I will whip something up. :shifty:

Hey LECOM-SH friends. I just received an interview invite from this school and am absolutely thrilled! However, I am with others in expressing concern for a lack of cadavers in anatomy. While I'm happy to use software, nothing quite matches the real thing.

Considering this is a pretty pertinent issue, I'm wondering if any of you have heard about the new health sciences center that is being built. Apparently its expected completion is in Fall 2015 (rather convenient), and it is supposed to house a cadaver lab! This would be huge news, and a big help in the decision process. Of course I need to actually get in first... Details can be found here: https://www.setonhill.edu/aboutus/campus_expansion/health_sciences_center.

Thanks for all the help, and good luck to you all!

Anyone who interviewed at LECOM- Seton Hill on November 19th heard back anything yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just got an II here and I am really excited. I was actually reading the email and it just hit me that its a group interview. What were your impressions on the group interview process? Did they pick and choose things from individual applications and address those applicants individually or did they just throw a question up in the air and it was a free for all? I'm just nervous about getting my thoughts out there and don't want to feel like I am competing with another applicant to speak.

Hey LECOM-SH friends. I just received an interview invite from this school and am absolutely thrilled! However, I am with others in expressing concern for a lack of cadavers in anatomy. While I'm happy to use software, nothing quite matches the real thing.

Considering this is a pretty pertinent issue, I'm wondering if any of you have heard about the new health sciences center that is being built. Apparently its expected completion is in Fall 2015 (rather convenient), and it is supposed to house a cadaver lab! This would be huge news, and a big help in the decision process. Of course I need to actually get in first... Details can be found here: https://www.setonhill.edu/aboutus/campus_expansion/health_sciences_center.

Thanks for all the help, and good luck to you all!

I, personally am not concerned with the lack of cadaver labs. I have had multiple friends that have been through or are currently in medical school and the majority (2/3) said they would rather not spend all the time in the lab because they felt they could study more efficiently elsewhere. Personal preference I guess. Plus there are always sites like: http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/anatomy2010/html/courseinfo/video_index.html that you can use for review if you want.

We were told at the interview that the health sciences building was a Seton Hill University thing only and wasn't part of the medical school.

I, personally am not concerned with the lack of cadaver labs. I have had multiple friends that have been through or are currently in medical school and the majority (2/3) said they would rather not spend all the time in the lab because they felt they could study more efficiently elsewhere. Personal preference I guess. Plus there are always sites like: http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/coursepages/m1/anatomy2010/html/courseinfo/video_index.html that you can use for review if you want.

We were told at the interview that the health sciences building was a Seton Hill University thing only and wasn't part of the medical school.

Hey mrayw101 thanks for the reply.

I agree there are certainly worse things than a lack of a cadaver lab. I'm just a bit confused because on the 7th page of the presentation found HERE, they confirm a cadaver lab will be available for the PA program. I find it counterintuitive that such resources would not be made available for the DO program as well, especially considering the new facility is literally joined to the DO building.

I understand these are issues I can bring up at the interview, but I obviously want to be as informed as possible, especially when it comes to learning resources.

Thanks again for the help.

Hey guys, I just got an II here and I am really excited. I was actually reading the email and it just hit me that its a group interview. What were your impressions on the group interview process? Did they pick and choose things from individual applications and address those applicants individually or did they just throw a question up in the air and it was a free for all? I'm just nervous about getting my thoughts out there and don't want to feel like I am competing with another applicant to speak.

You will get your own time to speak and they will specifically ask you certain questions while everyone waits their turn. It is a closed file interview, so its less about your application and more about getting to know you and see how you interact in a group setting. There may be a few questions towards the end that are up for discussion so don't be afraid to speak up. Be respectful and courteous of your group members and you will do just fine. Check out the interview section on the SDN homepage, there are some typical questions around there and how the day is set up and all that. Goodluck!

Hey mrayw101 thanks for the reply.

I agree there are certainly worse things than a lack of a cadaver lab. I'm just a bit confused because on the 7th page of the presentation found HERE, they confirm a cadaver lab will be available for the PA program. I find it counterintuitive that such resources would not be made available for the DO program as well, especially considering the new facility is literally joined to the DO building.

I understand these are issues I can bring up at the interview, but I obviously want to be as informed as possible, especially when it comes to learning resources.

Thanks again for the help.

That's very interesting! There was no mention of that before. Although I don't know if the PBL curriculum would have to be significantly altered to fit in an anatomy lab. I don't even think the PBL in Erie uses the lab there, but don't quote me on that lol. I know that there is an option to use the cadavers over the summer if you wish, but I don't think most people do. You will have to update us if you find out anything at your interview. Good luck!

That's very interesting! There was no mention of that before. Although I don't know if the PBL curriculum would have to be significantly altered to fit in an anatomy lab. I don't even think the PBL in Erie uses the lab there, but don't quote me on that lol. I know that there is an option to use the cadavers over the summer if you wish, but I don't think most people do. You will have to update us if you find out anything at your interview. Good luck!

Will do! Thanks!

I just got an II for 1/22/15....I was just wondering do you think it's possible that they will still be accepting people from this date or will these later interviews be specifically for the waitlist?

Correct-- PBL in Erie does not use the cadaver lab, only LDP. There is that option in the summer to prosect cadavers (and you get paid to do it), and those who I've talked to about it have found it helpful, but not life-changingly helpful. We PBLers actually get a pretty darn good anatomy education without cadavers. The only real deficit from not having cadavers is in spatial awareness, but at least in PBL at Seton Hill, they push very hard to make sure you understand what's rubbing up against what in the body. Both the anatomy professor at Erie and the professor at Seton Hill know their stuff.

There's also something of an anatomy rotation that you can take as an elective your 3rd year if you feel you need more anatomy practice, but I'm not 100% on the details of that.

Reactions: 1 users
Correct-- PBL in Erie does not use the cadaver lab, only LDP. There is that option in the summer to prosect cadavers (and you get paid to do it), and those who I've talked to about it have found it helpful, but not life-changingly helpful. We PBLers actually get a pretty darn good anatomy education without cadavers. The only real deficit from not having cadavers is in spatial awareness, but at least in PBL at Seton Hill, they push very hard to make sure you understand what's rubbing up against what in the body. Both the anatomy professor at Erie and the professor at Seton Hill know their stuff.

There's also something of an anatomy rotation that you can take as an elective your 3rd year if you feel you need more anatomy practice, but I'm not 100% on the details of that.

Thanks for the clarification veetee. So it's pretty safe to assume the Seton Hill anatomy curriculum won't be changing with the new facility? It's good to know you found the course helpful, and I'll check out the anatomy rotation options as well. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the clarification veetee. So it's pretty safe to assume the Seton Hill anatomy curriculum won't be changing with the new facility? It's good to know you found the course helpful, and I'll check out the anatomy rotation options as well. Thanks for the help!

As it stands now, LECOM will not have access to the new labs.

Yeah, saw the status saying decision made, will receive a letter within 30 days. Were you guys group A or B? Trying to put name to faces lol

not sure, but I was with the group who interviewed second! I'm guessing that's B?

Hey I was in the group B too. I have been checking my mailbox like crazy. Can't they just email/call us....O God!

ugh I agree!! I wish they would at least tell us the week they're supposed to go out. 30 days of torture :(

I just got an II for 1/22/15....I was just wondering do you think it's possible that they will still be accepting people from this date or will these later interviews be specifically for the waitlist?
I got an II two days after you for 3/05/15. I also want to know the if the my chances are lower of getting accepted because I'm interviewing later on. Surprised how far apart the interview dates are with only two days difference.

For those of you who have already put down your deposit: when do we we get the rest of the info for matriculation? I'm going to get a physical and get my immunizations in order and I was hoping to get all my forms filled out.

For those of you who have already put down your deposit: when do we we get the rest of the info for matriculation? I'm going to get a physical and get my immunizations in order and I was hoping to get all my forms filled out.
I've been wondering the same thing. I sent my deposit in October and still haven't heard.

What is Lecoms grading like? Traditional ABC etc.

Alright you hooligans, if no one has made a group by the time we need to start getting our stuff together and coordinating for questions/roommates, then I will whip something up. :shifty:

so did anyone make the page?

Anyone who interviewed at LECOM- Seton Hill on November 19th heard back anything yet?

I interviewed 11/19, just got the mail tonight and joined the board after finally being ACCEPTED I am so excited! They are only giving till Jan 3. to pay the deposit though, I was hoping for more time, probably gonna have to sell my car or something. haha

I interviewed 11/19, just got the mail tonight and joined the board after finally being ACCEPTED I am so excited! They are only giving till Jan 3. to pay the deposit though, I was hoping for more time, probably gonna have to sell my car or something. haha
Congrats!!

same here :)

so did anyone make the page?

If anyone has made a Facebook Group for LECOM-SH 2019 I can't seem to find it. And it seems you can't make a group without inviting people to it, and not being friends with any of you fellow Class of 2019 members, that makes it difficult. If someone wants to PM me their Facebook profile I can get the ball rolling on that. If there is a group that I can't find, please send it over! I found the LECOM-SH 2019 Page, but didn't see a Group.

If anyone has made a Facebook Group for LECOM-SH 2019 I can't seem to find it. And it seems you can't make a group without inviting people to it, and not being friends with any of you fellow Class of 2019 members, that makes it difficult. If someone wants to PM me their Facebook profile I can get the ball rolling on that. If there is a group that I can't find, please send it over! I found the LECOM-SH 2019 Page, but didn't see a Group.
I'll send you my profile!

Interviewed 12/2 and got the acceptance letter today!!!