LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So just checked the portal today, and this is what it says:

The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

This is a rejection, right? Because it seems the trend is you get a phone call if they want to interview you.

Mine said that on Tuesday and I got a call on Wednesday to be an alternate. So no, it doesn't mean a rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine said that on Tuesday and I got a call on Wednesday to be an alternate. So no, it doesn't mean a rejection.

I still haven't received any type of phone call or status change? So at least it's not a no yet? Right?

I still haven't received any type of phone call or status change? So at least it's not a no yet? Right?

Did you interview last Friday? I'm trying to stay optimistic...it was a little tough being on the alternate list because my interview went so well with interviewer basically saying I would be in. Oh well, we just need to keep with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I just cancelled my interview for 02/18/2011. Frighteningly, they didn't ask for any verification for whom I was. They simply asked my name and withdrew my application! :laugh:

Best of luck everyone!:luck:

Interviewed on Jan 10th. Accepted Jan 14th. Received letter Jan 18th!

Anyone notice the matriculation packet has school of pharmacy on it?
Im not a pharmacist, I'm a doctor dammit :smuggrin:

Anyone notice the matriculation packet has school of pharmacy on it?
Im not a pharmacist, I'm a doctor dammit :smuggrin:

when did you receive the matriculation packet? was it mailed or emailed? ive been accepted since november and am waiting for some info! all ive had so far is the same financial aid email twice.

when did you receive the matriculation packet? was it mailed or emailed? ive been accepted since november and am waiting for some info! all ive had so far is the same financial aid email twice.

It came as an email

Members don't see this ad :)
Where's everyone at? This thread is dying
Let's hear some more acceptances :thumbup:

does anyone know if there is any daycare close to school....I am from Orlando commuting everyday is impossible I am looking for a apartment and day care for my baby

Interview scheduled for Feb 7th!! This is my first one I'm ecstatic and really nervous. Does anyone know how strict they are on the letter requirements? I have a DO letter and 1 from a science professor. I've got two recent science professors who have agreed to write one and they're waiting for me to tell them when I need it by (I was thinking I may not need them until May if I needed to reapply). AZCOM so far is the only out of state school I've come across that doesn't require at least 2 science professor letters :rolleyes:

The email LECOM sent stated all letters and required materials needed to be there before my interview date. The instructions I downloaded say letters are due by April 1st. Should I try to reschedule my interview to make sure my letter gets there beforehand or can I request it be sent asap and just go on the 7th?

Btw is anyone else going on the 7th?

The email LECOM sent stated all letters and required materials needed to be there before my interview date. The instructions I downloaded say letters are due by April 1st. Should I try to reschedule my interview to make sure my letter gets there beforehand or can I request it be sent asap and just go on the 7th?

If things haven't changed since my interview, you can interview without all your letters in, but they won't give you a final yes/no decision until they have them. Get them in as soon as you can! Don't reschedule your interview for a later date if you can possibly help it, unless you have a very, very good reason. This is the final stretch of interviews, and your odds tend to go down as time passes.

That's definitely not to say you can't get in if you interview later--I'm not trying to freak people out. I know several classmates who interviewed in March and at least one who interviewed in April. One even got in off the waitlist just before school started. BUT don't count on your luck being that good.

The only thing about the date I was given is that the superbowl is the night before where I live in Arlington! I'm sure if I get an early flight I can avoid the traffic, but we also are a pretty small town relative to Dallas and Ft Worth. I'll make it happen though because it's later in the cycle and I don't want to risk lowering my chances.

If anyone will be there let me know!

does anyone know if there is any daycare close to school....I am from Orlando commuting everyday is impossible I am looking for a apartment and day care for my baby

There is a YMCA adjacent to the local highschool nest to LECOM. Some YMCA's have daycare centers. It shouldn't be too difficult finding a daycare center, they are all over this state.

I noticed throughout the thread several people said at the interview they asked "why Bradenton?". Are they just wanting an explanation as to why you prefer FL over PA or do they want to know why you chose LECOM in general?

Also I was complete with LECOM on 11/23 and have been "under review" since until I received a call this past Friday for interview on 2/7. Last week I had mailed them a LoI on Tuesday morning. Do you think it made it to them by Friday afternoon? Just wondering if that was what prompted the interview or if they had intended on giving me one anyway.

I noticed throughout the thread several people said at the interview they asked "why Bradenton?". Are they just wanting an explanation as to why you prefer FL over PA or do they want to know why you chose LECOM in general?

This is basically a "why our school" question. I pledged my undying love for PBL and that seemed to placate my interviewers.

Ok that makes more sense. Did you get an acceptance btw? I'm wondering since it's so late if there are spots available or if I'm interviewing for a wait list spot or what. I would hope they wouldn't interview without a spot they could put you in right away.

So Monday interview, they meet on Tuesdays I could possibly call on Wednesday and find out? That's insane! Or it sounds like I could wait for a letter that most are receiving that Saturday? The letter would probably be best so they don't immediately sense my severe disappointment if they tell me I'm wait listed or rejected :eek:

Regardless of what they decide does the portal always say the same thing and they just mail a letter? Would they call if I were wait listed or rejected?

The portal always says that. I was accepted and it said it. They only contact you if you are accepted but are missing something like a do letter. Good luck!

Hi guys, I just cancelled my interview on Feb 18th if anyone wants to call and take an earlier spot. Best of luck!

Hi, anyone interviewing on Feb 25th? Also anyone have suggestions for where to stay while in town? Thanks.

I interviewed on the 7th and stayed at the Wingate down the road. You can get a room for $70 if you tell them you're interviewing at lecom.

I interviewed on the 7th and stayed at the Wingate down the road. You can get a room for $70 if you tell them you're interviewing at lecom.

How did you get to and from the school or airport? How long of a trip is it from the hotel? Thanks for the info and good luck!

Hi, anyone interviewing on Feb 25th? Also anyone have suggestions for where to stay while in town? Thanks.

Play Golf. There are about 10 golf courses in a 10 mile radius of LECOM LOL. Also even in Feb this part of Florida regularly sees daily 70+ degrees. If the weather is permitting I suggest the beach. Within 20 minutes of LECOM are some of the nicest beaches in Florida and the USA. Anna Maria Island, Long Boat Key, Siesta Key. Manatee beach is the closest to LECOM. I can't speak much for the night life (there is zero night life in the LECOM neighborhood for people under the age of 55) but St. Pete and Sarasota are a 1/2 hour drive away with really REALLY nice drinking establishments.

I flew into Tampa since I couldn't get a flight to Sarasota with AA. I rented a car at the airport and took about an hour drive down I-275 to Bradenton. From Wingate the campus is only about 3 miles away, but as somebody else has noted the traffic for the Manatee Tech Institute can slow you down a bit so I'd leave at least 20 min early to be safe.

I got a call for interview on 1/28, scheduled for 2/7 and just received alternate letter today. My interview wasn't too smooth so I'm happy considering I was kind of expecting a rejection. Good luck to anybody interviewing soon!

I declined my acceptance today in favor of attending KCUMB. I hope this lets someone who is dying to get into LECOM-B get an acceptance. Best of luck to everyone!

I flew into Tampa since I couldn't get a flight to Sarasota with AA. I rented a car at the airport and took about an hour drive down I-275 to Bradenton. From Wingate the campus is only about 3 miles away, but as somebody else has noted the traffic for the Manatee Tech Institute can slow you down a bit so I'd leave at least 20 min early to be safe.

I got a call for interview on 1/28, scheduled for 2/7 and just received alternate letter today. My interview wasn't too smooth so I'm happy considering I was kind of expecting a rejection. Good luck to anybody interviewing soon!

Hi I have an interview in March which bothers me since it seems so late. Sorry to hear about the interview but at least you werent rejected so there is still some hope. What went wrong with the interview? Was it a group or one on one? Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I was placed on their alternate list in December and sent an update letter directly after. When I interviewed, they said that they draw heavily from the alternate list in January. I still have not been accepted from the alternate list, however. Three questions:

1) Have any of you been accepted off the alternate list yet?

2) How far-reaching into the alternate list does LECOM-B go each year before matriculation? (Down the top third, middle third, etc)?

3) Would calling/emailing to ask how far up the alternate list I am be uncouth?

Anything is helpful. Thanks in advance!

1) Have any of you been accepted off the alternate list yet?

2) How far-reaching into the alternate list does LECOM-B go each year before matriculation? (Down the top third, middle third, etc)?

3) Would calling/emailing to ask how far up the alternate list I am be uncouth?

Over Christmas break, I noticed the US News & World Report Med school book and took a look out of curiosity. This is from memory, but if I recall correctly, LECOM-B got a little over 3,000 applications, and accepted either 10% or 12% of applicants. Since there were only ~150 spots (162 with the 8% fudge factor the AOA allows) at the time, that suggests that a lot of people turn down their acceptances. To what degree they pull people off the waitlist vs. accepting extra people from later interviews, I couldn't tell you.

Generally there's nothing wrong with calling to see where you stand. So long as you're not a jerk to the admissions people over the phone, it won't hurt you; and in the best case it demonstrates your continuing interest.

Good luck.

Hi I have an interview in March which bothers me since it seems so late. Sorry to hear about the interview but at least you werent rejected so there is still some hope. What went wrong with the interview? Was it a group or one on one? Good luck!

That's how I felt about mine being this month. I'm just thankful to have had the opportunity though considering I've kind of written off this cycle and am preparing for reapplication this summer.

The fact that this was my only and first interview I was overly anxious the night before and hardly slept. I think the interview wasn't great mostly because I was exhausted and just couldn't think as clearly. Also they got me with "what kind of leader are you?" I haven't done many leadership activities so that one was tough. Basically I just didn't get the reaction from them I was hoping for. A student on the way in told me not to worry though if they don't seem into you. They do so many interviews I think they get sick of not only doing them but also hearing so many similar answers.

The interview day is a group of 14 or so who each are split into groups of 2-3 who interview with the same 2 interviewers. Each interview is supposed to be 30 minutes (mine went 17). I also didn't feel great about the fact mine was so short. People were like "what happened did you just write them a check for a million dollars?" haha. Apparently it wasn't as terrible as I thought since I'm at least an alternate. Or maybe my status wasn't as dependent on the interview, who knows? Oh yeah they also both said they had briefly reviewed my file beforehand.

I found this thread from last year to be pretty helpful regarding alternate information. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=710871
The entire process of how it works is still pretty vague though.

Does anybody have info on how common it is to be rejected post interview here? I feel like a lot of people are alternates and I was kind of hoping the list won't end up being too long by April. Wouldn't it be sweet if we were given a seat for the next class if spots didn't open up for us this year?

That's how I felt about mine being this month. I'm just thankful to have had the opportunity though considering I've kind of written off this cycle and am preparing for reapplication this summer.

The fact that this was my only and first interview I was overly anxious the night before and hardly slept. I think the interview wasn't great mostly because I was exhausted and just couldn't think as clearly. Also they got me with "what kind of leader are you?" I haven't done many leadership activities so that one was tough. Basically I just didn't get the reaction from them I was hoping for. A student on the way in told me not to worry though if they don't seem into you. They do so many interviews I think they get sick of not only doing them but also hearing so many similar answers.

The interview day is a group of 14 or so who each are split into groups of 2-3 who interview with the same 2 interviewers. Each interview is supposed to be 30 minutes (mine went 17). I also didn't feel great about the fact mine was so short. People were like "what happened did you just write them a check for a million dollars?" haha. Apparently it wasn't as terrible as I thought since I'm at least an alternate. Or maybe my status wasn't as dependent on the interview, who knows? Oh yeah they also both said they had briefly reviewed my file beforehand.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear you were not that comfortable. But you are an alternate so just hang in there. I really dont understand the group type of interview thing. It seems more uncomfortable than a one on one situation. I am interviewing in March and seem to think it is really too late, plus I am not sure of the "group" type of interview either....good luck to you.

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear you were not that comfortable. But you are an alternate so just hang in there. I really dont understand the group type of interview thing. It seems more uncomfortable than a one on one situation. I am interviewing in March and seem to think it is really too late, plus I am not sure of the "group" type of interview either....good luck to you.

No prob! I think it's just part of going to the first interview. I had awesome answers to about 50 commonly asked med school interview questions but couldn't quite get them out on the spot like I'd hoped.

Yeah it's a little more intimidating I think. They should try to make people feel as open as possible if they want a good idea of who the applicant is. At the same time they want to see confidence regardless of the scenario so it's understandable I guess :rolleyes:

Our group was informed the class was only ~1/3 full so don't worry about it being late. Good luck to you as well.

No prob! I think it's just part of going to the first interview. I had awesome answers to about 50 commonly asked med school interview questions but couldn't quite get them out on the spot like I'd hoped.

Yeah it's a little more intimidating I think. They should try to make people feel as open as possible if they want a good idea of who the applicant is. At the same time they want to see confidence regardless of the scenario so it's understandable I guess :rolleyes:

Our group was informed the class was only ~1/3 full so don't worry about it being late. Good luck to you as well.

Wow, really? Must be alot of people dropping their spots as that is only 50ish people that have accepted.

Wow, really? Must be alot of people dropping their spots as that is only 50ish people that have accepted.

That's what Annette told us before the housing and financial aid discussion. I have this theory they're pretty stoked about their (I think) 2 years in a row of 100% step 1 pass rate and they're just being picky. I bet they are keeping a good sized wait list and busy interview schedule to fill the class as competitively as possible to maintain the pass rate another year. The ones they're taking though get in closer to home or a school higher on their list and withdraw acceptance.

I've been waitlisted as well. I thought it was a great place and I LOVED the PBL session. Crossing my fingers that they accept me off the waitlist :)

Is there a central resource to check every school's pass rates and residency matches?

I've been waitlisted as well. I thought it was a great place and I LOVED the PBL session. Crossing my fingers that they accept me off the waitlist :)

Good luck with the waitlist- can you tell me what the interview was like-and how long it took. I am interviewing in March (late) any information would be appreciated!

Good luck with the waitlist- can you tell me what the interview was like-and how long it took. I am interviewing in March (late) any information would be appreciated!

Hey Hoping, I tried to post the other day and I wrote a long paragraph about interviewing and then SDN did some maintenance and it all got deleted :mad: So anyway, the interview day is kinda long, and starts pretty much immediately when you get there. The interviews are first thing, and they are one on one (or one interviewee to two interviewers, etc). Your interview should be ~30 mins long (mine was probably only 15-20) and the people that interview you will also interview 1 or 2 other people (each is individual, and there are 5 or so different panels) so the interview part should take a total of about 1.5 hours. You then have some talks/demonstrations (OMM, etc), and then head to a 2 hour long PBL session. You may be by yourself or with 1 or 2 other people for this, and after it is over, you meet back up with the rest of the interviewees for lunch/tour/financial aid, etc. I think the day ended around 2 or 2:30, but was very enjoyable. We were given the chance to talk with some current students (both in the PBL session, and in the conference room where most of the interview day was spent) and the location and facilities are very nice.

Hopefully this gives you a little more insight, but let me know if you have questions. I am no expert and am basing this purely on how my interview was back in November, so anyone feel free to chime in if their experience was different.

Good luck!!!

I just received an email that I have an interview here on 3-11. How are interviews here compared to other med schools? I know they suggested reading about their problem based learning curriculum. Are there any other tips or recommendations you guys have for interviews at this school?

Could be more than that because the class size is increasing from 150 to 182 in 2011. There will probably be more like 190 to 195 that start, though, because they start a little higher-- knowing some will not finish. Our class started at 162 back in 2006.