****Legitimate UoP Class of 2017 Thread****

Glimmer1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's already a class of 2017 UoP thread. However, this is confusing because it *should* have been the class of 2016.

So, ANYHOW, this is for the entering class of 2014. :D

I submitted my app last week, and UoP was one of the four schools to which I applied.

Who else is with me?

Members don't see this ad.

I know there's already a class of 2017 UoP thread. However, this is confusing because it *should* have been the class of 2016.

So, ANYHOW, this is for the entering class of 2014. :D

I submitted my app last week, and UoP was one of the four schools to which I applied.

Who else is with me?

I'll be applying there, but I already see one less seat available to me (yeah because of you, Glimmer:cool: lol)

Good luck, errbody:luck::luck::luck:

Hopefully applying within the next 2 weeks will make it difference this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm applying there as well. Good luck guys and gals.

In the mean time, to pass some time, can we share why we are applying to UOP?

I'll go first. Obviously, the 3 year track is one of the main reasons why I believe almost everybody here is applying there. I want to get out as soon as possible and start making money(to pay off loans that I will have to take during dental school).

Another reason is they are pretty good at churning out general dentists. I'm sure people who want to specialize, won't have a harder time, but I want to just be a general dentist. I may change my mind later, but as of right now, general dentistry is where I want to be.

The city is another reason I am applying there as well. San Francisco is a beautiful city. A bit expensive to live there though. It will take some adjustment from me to pay rent over there(If I get accepted of course) Coming from Arkansas where rent is 700 for a 2br and 2ba, I am sure I will be a bit ticked at first for rent.

Anybody else want to share? or no..you don't have to. haha

Good luck guys, don't forget that you can get a 3 year HPSP to cover costs at UOP, makes the $$$ a lot less terrifying. Hope to see some of you next year, you'll be the first class to be entirely in the new building :)

---------

UOP 2016
Navy HPSP

In the mean time, to pass some time, can we share why we are applying to UOP?

Sure, I'll bite! Here are just a few reasons that I can think of off the top of my head.

I've seen all over SDN that UoP has one of the best clinical programs out there. I'm not interested in research (at least I highly doubt I am), so this is incredibly important to me.

UoP is three years, which is sort of obviously great. Also, I think San Francisco would be AWESOME to live around for a few years. I don't know that it would be the best "start-up" place, though, because it's stinkin' expensive. The cost of living is high, but I'd only be paying it for three years, so it'd end up being the same as practically any other school. Also, who wouldn't like to be fully prepared in three years? Furthermore, my long-term boyfriend is going to law school, so if something were to work out and we couldn't go to schools close to each other, at least we would be done at the same time.

Also, I've read on these forums that UoP likes high DAT scores and sometimes gives scholarships to those that have them. Well, yeah. I'd be shrieking with delight if I got one. I know it's a long shot, but hey, you never know unless you try! :)

And finally, I just have a really good feeling about UoP. Sure, I've never visited it in person, but everything I've gathered about it through my research has just left me feeling like it would be an awesome place to attend. My parents kept telling me, "WHAT!? There's no WAY you'd go to California! You're wasting money applying there!" but seriously, I am highly considering this school. (Which I think is sort of obvious... I mean, I only applied to four schools, so it had to be special to make the cut! LOL!)

Best of luck to everyone!

I'll be applying! I have some family who reside in the greater bay area and visited them over the holidays. I had the opportunity to check the school out and it's great! The weather and city are just as amazing. They said they were in the process to moving to a new building that was close to the water... Hopefully the financial burden of the move doesn't land on our shoulders!

Will be applying there in a month.
Reason: I'm part of the undergraduate campus program!

I am applying as well. doubt i will get it, but i am giving it a try!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeee yee!
Just submitted my app today. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you all along this magical journey.

my reasons for applying: Went to UOP's Pride day a couple of years ago, the place felt like home. Brand new facility and down to earth students.

Last edited:
haha i am applying there too for all the reasons you guys listed, (3 years!!!)
hopefully my DAT score will be high like yours glimmer :D

Good luck to each and everyone of you. Hopefully i get an interview and can meet you along the way.

Sounds like an awesome and rare type of school. Im applying also.

I've applied!

I did a post-bacc in the SF Bay Area and UOP has been incredibly generous to the students in our program. They're ASDA members have reached out to us on numerous occasions. Also, I've attended UOP Pride Day and the Impressions coures -- both of which have left me feeling extremely impressed and excited.

I'm nervous because my GPA is low, but I have a decent DAT score (21AA), so i'm hoping that I'll be favored for that.

Best of luck to everyone!

I applied to UoP for this cycle, as well!

A quick list of reasons..the clinical program at UoP seems amazing! Right now, I don't have any plans to specialize. If I ever did consider in specializing, it would probably be after a couple years in dental school. The 3-year program is a definite appeal (of course :D), haha. Annnd, I have a ton of family out in SF, so it'd be great to join them. I visit at least once a year and absolutely love the city!

Good luck to everyone!

So I've also heard that UoP tends to like students with high DAT scores. Does anyone know what a good estimated range would be? Thanks!

I think you guys are scaring people away from applying here. Though the average DAT may be 21-22 one should look at the ranges because they accept people with 18s and 19s as well. The DAT isn't everything! They look at all around app. also helps to be from California...

I think you guys are scaring people away from applying here. Though the average DAT may be 21-22 one should look at the ranges because they accept people with 18s and 19s as well. The DAT isn't everything! They look at all around app. also helps to be from California...

Yeah maybe I didn't make that clear in my post. Avg matriculation is a 21AA

Hey, no worries~ It was just a harmless question :oops: Only curious of what was considered a "high" range these days. Committees definitely look at applications as a whole, not just scores and grades. I don't know how good dentists would truly be if based on just numbers!

I know UoP requires passing NBDE Part 1 and 2 for graduation. But do they require you to pass one of the regional boards as well in order to graduate?

I know UoP requires passing NBDE Part 1 and 2 for graduation. But do they require you to pass one of the regional boards as well in order to graduate?

why would you need to pass the regional board? even if I go to UoP, should I be lucky to be accepted, I don't want to practice in Cali

have there been applicants denied an interview despite having a 21+ AA and 3.6+ GPA?

I'm actually a re-applicant from last year. OOS with 20 AA/20 PAT/3.8 GPA. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try, but no interview. I've gotten more experience since last summer and took the DAT again this May and improved..so hopefully this time around will be better :) :xf:

Most likely yes. Certain things can get your app rejected depsite high stats.

what else can get factored in (besides the essay, ECs, LORs). there is no supplemental application so I wanted to explain to them why I have only 2 semesters with 3 science classes or more (full time work)

Hey! Just spoke with an admissions counselor. She told me that they had everything they needed from me and would begin reviewing applications in August. So there's an update! :)

Hey! Just spoke with an admissions counselor. She told me that they had everything they needed from me and would begin reviewing applications in August. So there's an update! :)

Yea...that's what they told me too.

Did they call you? I have not heard anything from UOP. I already submitted my app.

I called them.They said they won't start reviewing applications until August.

Woohoo! I will be applying to UOP as well. I'm going to submit my apps this week! I hope it's early enough :]

The 3 year program is unique and appealing to me also. I also took their Pre-dental Simulation Course and the student volunteers were very down-to-earth and willing to help out and it was wonderful to see that and I want to be a part of it! Also San Francisco is such an amazing city; I think living in the city for a few years while I'm in dental school would be a great experience.

what else can get factored in (besides the essay, ECs, LORs). there is no supplemental application so I wanted to explain to them why I have only 2 semesters with 3 science classes or more (full time work)

If you broke any academic rules such as plagiarizing or cheating on a test. Also if you broken any laws. Things like these are grounds for putting major red flags on your app that will bring you down no matter your stats.

If you broke any academic rules such as plagiarizing or cheating on a test. Also if you broken any laws. Things like these are grounds for putting major red flags on your app that will bring you down no matter your stats.

thanks for reply. quick question I have around a 3.75 scGPA/oGPA but I have scattered my classes over 6 years with about 4 semesters of full time study and only 2 semesters where I took 3 science classes. even if I do well on the DAT, is it likely my app is going just thrown in the rejection bin. still debating to apply here or not.

thanks for reply. quick question I have around a 3.75 scGPA/oGPA but I have scattered my classes over 6 years with about 4 semesters of full time study and only 2 semesters where I took 3 science classes. even if I do well on the DAT, is it likely my app is going just thrown in the rejection bin. still debating to apply here or not.

Call them.

If you have a good reason for doing part time and you do since you worked full time then I dont think it should be a problem. And if you do well on the DAT then it I think they will let it slide.

But like Laughinggas said above, you should call, just to be 100% sure. B/c this sounds like an awesome school to learn dentistry in.

If you have a good reason for doing part time and you do since you worked full time then I dont think it should be a problem. And if you do well on the DAT then it I think they will let it slide.

But like Laughinggas said above, you should call, just to be 100% sure. B/c this sounds like an awesome school to learn dentistry in.

definitely an awesome school, the fact that I am not too far from this school makes it even more appealing. got family support, free housing, but NO damn admission (hopefully i get one)

Recent graduate of this institution. This school is by far worth every penny. Faculty and students are amazing. In comparison to what I've heard from many of my peers at other schools, graduates from here are more clinically prepared. In addition you gain a new family!

Best of luck to everyone applying!