Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lectures are available same day. There are some students who do all their studying at school and then go home and relax, as well as students who I only see at mandatory lectures/exams and do all their studying at home. It's all about your personal preference.
Thank you :) Regarding dress code, are scrubs considered professional?

Accepted students--quick question: for those of you who mailed in student health documents, etc and used usps--did your tracking say "delivered to agent" and it was received by the student health department?
I am a bit worried because when I was sending in the envelope, the post office said they could not find the zip code 24502, and sent it to 24515 (still lynchburg). I just wanna make sure the "agent" was someone in the department
Hey you are fine! Atleast I was! I had to change the zipcode at the post office too, and my package reached to the right place. If you have any questions you can email lucom health I believe, the email id is in the previous page.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything yet? They said we'd know last week and if not, it would be this week..

Anyone hear anything yet? They said we'd know last week and if not, it would be this week..
I called them Friday and they said that they haven't notified any student yet.... And I was like is it a bad sign I haven't heard anything and the lady on the phone said no...no one was notified....

I called them Friday and they said that they haven't notified any student yet.... And I was like is it a bad sign I haven't heard anything and the lady on the phone said no...no one was notified....

Thanks for the update; hopefully it's soon! I don't suppose they hinted at when they would begin notifying students?

Thanks for the update; hopefully it's soon! I don't suppose they hinted at when they would begin notifying students?
No. The woman I spoke said she was not sure! So no hint there.... hopefully soon though!

No. The woman I spoke said she was not sure! So no hint there.... hopefully soon though!
All of the accepted students have until 04/01 to get in all of their immunization information, so I'm sure that they'll have a better idea on open slots after that date.

All of the accepted students have until 04/01 to get in all of their immunization information, so I'm sure that they'll have a better idea on open slots after that date.

Is 04/01 the date you have as the due date for immunizations and titers on the mylu website? I needed an extension so I was wondering if those students have a different date.

Hey Current Students,

What's a ballpark estimate that we should be expecting to pay for books/materials for first semester?

Can any current students explain the vacation schedule and what happens with M1's between last day of M1 classes and the first day back for M2? What is required versus what is not? I see an elective period in the schedule. Are there any two week spots where we could plan vacation time or just time to get back home?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is 04/01 the date you have as the due date for immunizations and titers on the mylu website? I needed an extension so I was wondering if those students have a different date.
I'm not sure about further extensions, but the date used to be 03/01, but admissions lengthened it for everyone until 04/01. They're pretty lenient, so if you can show that you're getting things completed, they'll extend your requirements. For example, I'm still waiting on one last imm titer, and I've already talked to them to get a few days more allowed.

For everyone asking if there is going to be any waitlist movement I have some news for you. After a lot of deliberation and pensive thought about my future, I have decided that I will be withdrawing my acceptance from LUCOM.

Despite all the vitriol on this site towards LUCOM, I absolutely loved it. Only certain aspects of the school were a turnoff such as the lack of research, the fact that it is very young, and its clinical rotations are weaker than the school I'm going to attend. As a Christian, I love the LUCOM environment. In fact, I visit Liberty often as my brother goes there and I was up there just last week for a concert (Mutemath!). I would have loved to be in an environment which enriched the most important aspect of my life. Unfortunately, I've had to think about all my options. The school I'm giving up LUCOM for is a state school which is significantly cheaper, has a lot of research opportunities, has excellent STEP 1 scores, and has great matches. I'm definitely going to need to work harder at this other institution to find a decent Christian network and that's something that has caused me to drag my feet on this decision since LUCOM's Christian environment is so enticing. It was ultimately a heart vs. brain decision.

Anyways, I hope one of you gets my spot.

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email today saying I've been placed on the priority waitlist. Can anyone comment on what that means or how many many students usually get pulled from it?

I got an email today saying I've been placed on the priority waitlist. Can anyone comment on what that means or how many many students usually get pulled from it?

I'm sending my withdrawal email right now to free up a spot. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
What stethoscopes are we supposed to get? I was thinking of a littmann cardio III or classic III, but not sure which one.....any ideas?

What stethoscopes are we supposed to get? I was thinking of a littmann cardio III or classic III, but not sure which one.....any ideas?
Littmann Cardio III. You will have an opportunity to purchase all medical supplies in the first few weeks of school, but if you want to buy it ahead of time, that's the one to get.

I see that most books have free online access through ClinicalKey and AccessMedicine, can someone tell me what they think is the most useful eReader/tablet for the digital books? Or if most people just buy the hard copies?

I see that most books have free online access through ClinicalKey and AccessMedicine, can someone tell me what they think is the most useful eReader/tablet for the digital books? Or if most people just buy the hard copies?
I'm wondering that as well! Also, where is the booklist for the OMS-I 2016 Fall Semester? I can only find last year's on the LUCOM website.

I'll be honest, not many people buy the textbooks. A lot of us just study from the powerpoints or other review books available. I personally use First Aid, firecracker, Big Picture Physiology, OMT Review, a pharmacology board review book (I use the one from lange) and these all get me pretty far. You can find a lot of the textbooks and review books like BRS on PDF online somewhere as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students explain the vacation schedule and what happens with M1's between last day of M1 classes and the first day back for M2? What is required versus what is not? I see an elective period in the schedule. Are there any two week spots where we could plan vacation time or just time to get back home?

http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=28485
This is the academic calendar for next year.

In terms of "vacation" schedule, we don't really have a true vacation until winter break and summer break. We have a fall break and a spring break, which are both a week long each, but there were exams and anatomy practicals after each. That being said, that did not deter me from going back home to california :). I think going home would be fine during those two "breaks" but just keep in mind you really have to be studying during that time as well. A lot of people did poorly on those exams after breaks because they were lulled into a false sense of vacation.

As for the summer between OMS1 and OMS2, there is a 2 week period where you can go on vacation or on a missionary trip to Guatemala. Then, there is a month where you can do some sort of elective which can include research for academic credit. Doing an elective is not mandatory, and almost everyone is using this time to go back home and do research somewhere at home for no academic credit (just for your CV), shadow a local doc, or for volunteering.

Has anyone been pulled off the wait list yet? I am number 13 on the priority wait list, but Dr. Martin also told me there have been several people to either withdrawal or defer admission, so I am likely higher at this point. I am just curious if they call you as seats open up or if they wait for a certain number of spots to become available, etc.

Thanks!

I'm gonna be withdrawing my acceptance here!!!! Good luck to whoever gets my spot!

I'm wondering that as well! Also, where is the booklist for the OMS-I 2016 Fall Semester? I can only find last year's on the LUCOM website.
I was just basing mine off of last year's list as well. By the reply that localmotion24 posted, I'm sure we'd be fine if we got these books, or similar ones.

If there are any hopefuls still out there for matriculation into the 2020 graduating class, I just deferred my acceptance until next year due to a medical emergency in the family. Dr. Martin said that he would be calling someone soon with my spot, so I give my best wishes to that person! Good luck!

I just withdrew my acceptance. Goodluck!

how come? if my gpa is barely a 3.0 and im retaking my mcat in august. should i apply and update my ap in december - plan to enroll in a post bac

I got accepted to a school that I liked more. To answer your question I'm not too sure that even LUCOM would look at you if your gpa is barely at a 3.0. I would ask others in Sdn.

I agree. That low of a GPA may be a red flag. I also got into a school that was closer to home and had more well established reputation. LUCOM is a lovely school but they have no board scores and no graduates at the moment.

Quick question from an undergrad with Liberty as my first choice for a medical education:

How does LUCOM feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

Quick question from an undergrad with Liberty as my first choice for a medical education:

How does LUCOM feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!
It's up to you and what you think would provide the best grade

Some schools really look down at community college level courses especially in pre-reqs. I can't say if submitting your community college pre-reqs will have a hugely negative impact when applying to LUCOM. I would try and call the admissions office and ask them personally.

I did my first two years at a community college. For me, the financial benefit was a no brainer. It hasn't hindered me, and I don't think LUCOM looked down on it at all.

The equation I would ask you is, what is your alternative? If you apply, you have to disclose the classes you took. Own it, and proceed. If they don't like where you took physics, that's their problem, you know?

Does anyone know a good forum/place to start doing a little roommate search? I'd like to start looking around at some apartment options.