Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Both of my interviews were 30 minutes and open file. I don't know if this is the norm though.

Also, if anyone is debating on attending their interview, you really should go! I was very impressed with the school and the dean is quick to shut down any misconceptions. One of the first things out of his mouth was actually "Don't believe everything you read on studentdoctornetwork." This school is definitely not a fit for everyone (the code of conduct seems pretty strict), but overall I was very impressed with the staff, students, facility, and overall atmosphere during my interview.

The code of conduct isn't what bothered me about this school, its that they were more interested in my religious preferences than they were my altruistic qualities and intelligence. I could have been an immoral piece of crap there was and they would have loved me so long as I said god compelled me to pursue medicine. It was a very uncomfortable interview day. If you are extremely religious or extremely desperate, then you will like it here.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

The code of conduct isn't what bothered me about this school, its that they were more interested in my religious preferences than they were my altruistic qualities and intelligence. I could have been an immoral piece of crap there was and they would have loved me so long as I said god compelled me to pursue medicine. It was a very uncomfortable interview day. If you are extremely religious or extremely desperate, then you will like it here.

I didn't strictly advertise it, but I did let slip my heathen ways during one of my interviews and was still accepted. Both my interviewers were religious enough to pray for me at the end, so you can take out of that what you will. I felt perfectly comfortable during my interview day, but then...I sort of thrive on awkwardness and don't do a very good job of noticing it SO WHO KNOWS.

Reactions: 2 users

Really? I didn't get that vibe from my interviewers at all. I felt pretty comfortable during both of my interviews and I'm not super religious. I wasn't asked anything about my religious views nor did I mention anything about religion in my personal statement. I haven't heard back yet though, so maybe my lack of religious discussion did hurt me here. Who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I didn't get that vibe from my interviewers at all. I felt pretty comfortable during both of my interviews and I'm not super religious. I wasn't asked anything about my religious views nor did I mention anything about religion in my personal statement. I haven't heard back yet though, so maybe my lack of religious discussion did hurt me here. Who knows.

One interview was about 70% religion. Like the guy asked me why I wanted to be a doctor. I gave him a well thought out answer about how I have spent my entire life in a rural underserved area and seeing family/neighbors suffer because a lack of access to a physician has driven me to pursue medicine. He completely dismissed my response and followed up with "has anything *else* that like a higher power or some compelled you to pursue medicine, or spoken to you to make you say "medicine is the career for me"."

I got kind of fed up with him at that point. And I honestly wish I was making this up.

One interview was about 70% religion. Like the guy asked me why I wanted to be a doctor. I gave him a well thought out answer about how I have spent my entire life in a rural underserved area and seeing family/neighbors suffer because a lack of access to a physician has driven me to pursue medicine. He completely dismissed my response and followed up with "has anything *else* that like a higher power or some compelled you to pursue medicine, or spoken to you to make you say "medicine is the career for me"."

I got kind of fed up with him at that point. And I honestly wish I was making this up.

Eeh, yeah that is awkward. I actually gave a similar answer about why I wanted to practice medicine too, but I didn't get any questioning about a higher power afterwards lol. One of my interviewers prayed at the end of my interview, which didn't bother me at all, but other than that, nothing else very religious. However, Mr. Smith did talk a lot about religion throughout the interview day. I guess every interview day is different.

That sounds like an awful experience, almost demeaning in a sense. Felt like they dismissed your answer and was fishing for something. I can't speak for the interviewer or school since I'm just a candidate, but I felt as though I would be fine going there at the end of the day. I personally prefer something closer to home, but I'm happy with what I saw there (still remember the biscuits... Mm).
I think we had a different set of interviewers though, because I didn't feel this way at all and we had the same date. The male I had really dove into my application. Only outright question he asked me about religion was what my take was on religion in the media today and what's wrong with it. Not sure how that relates to medicine but I was happy to answer- didn't feel uncomfortable at all. My other interviewer was a female. Someone else that had my set said her interviews ended really early and they didn't talk much. I wonder why it varies that much?

Essentially depending on the interviewer... An applicant could get a whole bunch of questions about religion, questions about their application only, or general questions/ethical questions. I'm going to have to brace myself for everything this week...

Essentially depending on the interviewer... An applicant could get a whole bunch of questions about religion, questions about their application only, or general questions/ethical questions. I'm going to have to brace myself for everything this week...
I did have some ethical questions too, but my interviewer actually said "I'm only asking these because you said you took medical ethics". Lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I did have some ethical questions too, but my interviewer actually said "I'm only asking these because you said you took medical ethics". Lol.
Great, I have not taken that class so maybe I will be exempt? ;) Any tips/suggestions? I interview here on Friday!:nailbiting:

Protip: Mention God during the interview at least 15 times.

This is my only post-interview rejection of 6. So, yeah.

Reactions: 1 users

Lol, that probably means my rejection is coming soon too then. When did you interview?

Lol, that probably means my rejection is coming soon too then. When did you interview?
9/9, was rejected about a week later

Members don't see this ad :)

9/9, was rejected about a week later

At least they didn't wait until the very last day of their 4 week period to tell you no

Hi ATPsynthase123,

So I'm an OMS II at LUCOM. I interviewed twice here, once for the class of 2018 (rejected post interview) then for the class of 2019. Both times I interviewed with the same professor but got different styles of interviewing from him. It seems to me though that the common thread in both interviews is he was trying to see how I reacted to questions that catch me by surprise. I'm sure most interviwers will be able to pick up on students trying to "suck up" to them or the school, so perhaps your rejection didn't have anything to do with your "heathen" views.

At any rate, if you are still interviewing in other schools try to make lemonade from your experience at LUCOM: "when asked something uncomfortable, how else can I handle the question?", practice it, and use it in your next interview. This is not the last time you will be "caught off guard" when interviewing.

Best of luck!

Hi ATPsynthase123,

So I'm an OMS II at LUCOM. I interviewed twice here, once for the class of 2018 (rejected post interview) then for the class of 2019. Both times I interviewed with the same professor but got different styles of interviewing from him. It seems to me though that the common thread in both interviews is he was trying to see how I reacted to questions that catch me by surprise. I'm sure most interviwers will be able to pick up on students trying to "suck up" to them or the school, so perhaps your rejection didn't have anything to do with your "heathen" views.

At any rate, if you are still interviewing in other schools try to make lemonade from your experience at LUCOM: "when asked something uncomfortable, how else can I handle the question?", practice it, and use it in your next interview. This is not the last time you will be "caught off guard" when interviewing.

Best of luck!

Nah, my tactics got me accepted into another school already. Coincidentally this school wasn't run by a bunch of religious fanatics who put more weight in religious preferences than academic performance/humanistic qualities. That's what makes a good physician, not what God you worship. And this is coming from a Christian.

Also, I don't take it lightly that my interviewer dismissed my reasons for going into medicine because it wasn't religious. The school left a bad taste in my mouth, and had I been accepted I would have turned it down. No amount of nice facilities is worth dealing with people who don't respect me or my professional goals.

If this school makes you happy, then great. But I would hands down advise against applying here if an applicant wasn't extremely devout Christian. It's a lie the they say they don't select for that.

Nah, my tactics got me accepted into another school already. Coincidentally this school wasn't run by a bunch of religious fanatics who put more weight in religious preferences than academic performance/humanistic qualities. That's what makes a good physician, not what God you worship. And this is coming from a Christian.

Also, I don't take it lightly that my interviewer dismissed my reasons for going into medicine because it wasn't religious. The school left a bad taste in my mouth, and had I been accepted I would have turned it down. No amount of nice facilities is worth dealing with people who don't respect me or my professional goals.

If this school makes you happy, then great. But I would hands down advise against applying here if an applicant wasn't extremely devout Christian. It's a lie the they say they don't select for that.

"Your tactics." Lol

I've never met you in person, but I feel like I already know exactly what you're like

Alrighty.. I understand where you're coming from but there is no need to insult an entire swath of people, students, etc. because you had a bad experience. I had minimal religious questions, gave some well thought out answers, and was accepted a few days later at the end of August. Also my "why medicine" reason had absolutely 0 references to religion in it. So I would hazard to say they considered a little more than my Christianity. I caution people to visit the school themselves if they want to get a feel for it rather than read about it on SDN.

Alrighty.. I understand where you're coming from but there is no need to insult an entire swath of people, students, etc. because you had a bad experience. I had minimal religious questions, gave some well thought out answers, and was accepted a few days later at the end of August. Also my "why medicine" reason had absolutely 0 references to religion in it. So I would hazard to say they considered a little more than my Christianity. I caution people to visit the school themselves if they want to get a feel for it rather than read about it on SDN.

Easily over half of both interviews were about religion for me. Maybe you got lucky, but one interviewer told me god spoke to him and told him to teach at liberty, and the other upon hearing my rural medicine aspirations dismissed them and said "yeah, but did anything else compelling you to pursue medicine, like a higher power or a calling other than rural medicine?" When I said no he continued to press me to give religious reasons. He made it very clear that they weren't interested in creating rural primary care docs for Appalachia, and more interested in students to further their Christian agenda.

Dismissing someone's perfectly valid professional goals is not a good way to make a good impression for an already questionable school. I would get it if he dismissed me for saying "I want to do plastics in Hollywood", but rural IM? Come on...

Easily over half of both interviews were about religion for me. Maybe you got lucky, but one interviewer told me god spoke to him and told him to teach at liberty, and the other upon hearing my rural medicine aspirations dismissed them and said "yeah, but did anything else compelling you to pursue medicine, like a higher power or a calling other than rural medicine?" When I said no he continued to press me to give religious reasons. He made it very clear that they weren't interested in creating rural primary care docs for Appalachia, and more interested in students to further their Christian agenda.

Dismissing someone's perfectly valid professional goals is not a good way to make a good impression for an already questionable school. I would get it if he dismissed me for saying "I want to do plastics in Hollywood", but rural IM? Come on...

Like I said (/I thought I had communicated), I did not question whether or not your point is valid concerning that one instance or advocate for your admittedly loony interviewer. I advised restraint when generalizing that experience to an entire population and adding in a few insults for good measure. That in itself is not becoming behavior of a young professional, Christian or no Christian.

Reactions: 4 users
Like I said (/I thought I had communicated), I did not question whether or not your point is valid concerning that one instance or advocate for your admittedly loony interviewer. I advised restraint when generalizing that experience to an entire population and adding in a few insults for good measure. That in itself is not becoming behavior of a young professional, Christian or no Christian.

I'm just saying, I gave the school the benefit of the doubt and they ended up proving Goro right. I would advise strongly against applying here unless you are a very specific type of religious candidate.

I'm just saying, I gave the school the benefit of the doubt and they ended up proving Goro right. I would advise strongly against applying here unless you are a very specific type of religious candidate.

Fair enough. For posterity I would recommend going to see for yourself and not take another person's word for it. Especially as it is hard for people to remain objective after they are rejected. A LUCOM student I met while going for a tour (I wanted to see for myself instead of using only SDN) read my PS multiple times. I didn't ask, she just offered. I cannot express how kind and helpful she was. After I submitted she still answered all my med school questions and even went out of her way to help me with a sticky HPSP situation. This has been typical of my experience with LUCOM students, admin, faculty, etc. and I believe is reflective of the school as a whole

Reactions: 3 users
Fair enough. For posterity I would recommend going to see for yourself and not take another person's word for it. Especially as it is hard for people to remain objective after they are rejected. A LUCOM student I met while going for a tour (I wanted to see for myself instead of using only SDN) read my PS multiple times. I didn't ask, she just offered. I cannot express how kind and helpful she was. After I submitted she still answered all my med school questions and even went out of her way to help me with a sticky HPSP situation. This has been typical of my experience with LUCOM students, admin, faculty, etc. and I believe is reflective of the school as a whole

I had a very similar experience to Bunnyman17. I was rejected here, but I truly believe it will be a great school given enough time. Liberty is a place you have to visit, and honestly it may not be a great fit--but it doesn't mean you should go online and systematically attack it and the people that work/attend there if it didn't fit for you. It'd be similar to a school having a curriculum that you don't like; you don't go online and attack the school for the way it teaches medicine.

Edit: ATPSynthase, you are an incredibly helpful person on here, and I hope you don't take this personally! It's just my opinion and something I've seen a lot from you and wanted to bring up!

I had a very similar experience to Bunnyman17. I was rejected here, but I truly believe it will be a great school given enough time. Liberty is a place you have to visit, and honestly it may not be a great fit--but it doesn't mean you should go online and systematically attack it and the people that work/attend there if it didn't fit for you. It'd be similar to a school having a curriculum that doesn't quite work for you; you don't go online and attack the school for the way it teaches medicine.

Stating facts and observations from my own interview =\= systematically attacking. I would dislike them without good reason.

Stating facts and observations from my own interview =\= systematically attacking. I would dislike them without good reason.

Ive seen you on Reddit and on SDN, you might post about it more than you realize--and I understand you didn't have a great experience there, but when I say "systematically attacking" I mean you talk down about the school an awful lot. I apologize that I stated it that way, but not every school will have a wholly pleasant interview process. E.g. Western in Pomona--which I have heard is typically a very intense interview.

Ive seen you on Reddit and on SDN, you might post about it more than you realize--and I understand you didn't have a great experience there, but when I say "systematically attacking" I mean you talk down about the school an awful lot.

Maybe I do talk about it a lot, but people have a right to know what they are getting into including the bad experiences. The fact that it is a comical/slightly ridiculous story is an added bonus.

I think you missed my point, so just humor me.

My father used to "headhunt" (interview candidates for management position at his company). He knew these candidates prepared a lot for the interview and were great on paper, but he was more interested in genuine reponses rafher than memorized, prepackadged responses. So he would do something similar to what your interviewer did: throw a curve ball.

He would ask then "what is your greatest flaw"? And after hearing the response he would follow up with "ok, now tell me about your second greatest flaw". Most interviewes did not expect this, and it forced then to "think on their feet". Then he would ask then "now what is your third greatest flaw?"

On all of these questions he wasnt concerned about the flaws per se, but to the way the interviewer responded to the situation. Being defensive was certainly not a positive way of responding, but other interviewes were able to give thoughtful responses to him without looking anxious.

Soti sum up, my point is: I am willing ti bet that it was "by design" (Holmes, Sherlock, A Game of Shadows). Take this failure, learn from it, and definitely expect it in interviews for reeidencies and beyond.

I think you missed my point, so just humor me.

My father used to "headhunt" (interview candidates for management position at his company). He knew these candidates prepared a lot for the interview and were great on paper, but he was more interested in genuine reponses rafher than memorized, prepackadged responses. So he would do something similar to what your interviewer did: throw a curve ball.

He would ask then "what is your greatest flaw"? And after hearing the response he would follow up with "ok, now tell me about your second greatest flaw". Most interviewes did not expect this, and it forced then to "think on their feet". Then he would ask then "now what is your third greatest flaw?"

On all of these questions he wasnt concerned about the flaws per se, but to the way the interviewer responded to the situation. Being defensive was certainly not a positive way of responding, but other interviewes were able to give thoughtful responses to him without looking anxious.

Soti sum up, my point is: I am willing ti bet that it was "by design" (Holmes, Sherlock, A Game of Shadows). Take this failure, learn from it, and definitely expect it in interviews for reeidencies and beyond.

That makes sense, but if that was his goal he could have done a better job in getting me to think on my feet than appearing to dismiss my professional goals. Or at least had a more appropriate question to follow that up with than "why Medicine?"

I will say they admission faculty, the facilities and students were all very nice, but the interviews were very uncomfortable for me.

Maybe I do talk about it a lot, but people have a right to know what they are getting into including the bad experiences. The fact that it is a comical/slightly ridiculous story is an added bonus.

I'm sorry that your interview and rejection left such a bad taste in your mouth in terms of LUCOM, but I don't appreciate you reaffirming what Goro has posted about this school when he hasn't ever set foot on our campus. You got into another school so maybe you should focus on that chapter in your life now.

I'm sorry that your interview and rejection left such a bad taste in your mouth in terms of LUCOM, but I don't appreciate you reaffirming what Goro has posted about this school when he hasn't ever set foot on our campus. You got into another school so maybe you should focus on that chapter in your life now.

I'm sharing my experiences with future interviewees, but you are right. Perhaps I am harping on it too much. Good luck in your studies.

I had a very similar experience as ATPsynthase123. During my interview, I was asked very specific ethical/religious questions and was drilled on them. I answered them in a way that was ethically appropriate, but I feel like they wanted me to say that I would never give someone an abortion and that I would never be pro-physician assisted suicide. It made me uncomfortable and also made me question the goals and mission of the school.
Liberty needs to be approached with caution until they name a new dean and have released COMLEX scores and match rates. To me, they are uninterested in pursuing science and medicine as wholly as they should be and would rather focus on how to incorporate god into medicine.
While interviewing, the dean also mentioned SDN multiple times, which I found inappropriate. They know what their reputation is and I don't think they care to change it.

edit* I am in no way trying to "bash" Liberty. The people were incredibly kind and the school was beautiful with great facilities. I am trying to share my experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi ATPsynthase123,

Best of luck!
Hiya,

Questions that weren't brought up during the interview and I didn't dare to ask: Does LUCOM incorporate evolution into its curriculum at all? I have trouble imagining a medical curriculum that doesn't touch upon the unifying principles behind all biology. What about things like discussing sex before marriage, homosexuality, abortions for reasons of the mother's survival and other delicate but necessary topics to work in the field?

All the best with your training

I'll be interviewing here in a week and was wondering if anybody has some tips/suggestions for me! PM me!

I'll be interviewing here in a week and was wondering if anybody has some tips/suggestions for me! PM me!
I PMed you the same thing I sent the last person who asked! Lol
I think I was the last person to ask and he gave great advice! My interviewing went well today.. was very conversational :). I was in the "second batch" from 1045 to 1200 so that 1.5 hrs downtime really calms the nerves. Best of luck!

Last edited:
I think I was the last person to ask and he gave great advice! My interview well today.. was very conversational :). I was in the "second batch" from 1045 to 1200 so that 1.5 hrs downtime really calms the nerves. Best of luck!

I'm a girl, but thanks! Haha. Glad to hear your interview went well!

I was accepted after interviewing on 09/26. I thought the school facilities were nice, but I didn't like how they barely reviewed the curriculum of the first two years. They didn't send me home with anything about the school except a list of the clubs and a financial aid form. I felt like I left my interview day with a lot of questions about the schools curriculum and structure even though I was constantly asking questions throughout the day. I don't I will matriculate here for that reason and my interviewer left me with a bad taste in my mouth. However, I would say go to the interview day and make an informed decision based on your own experience.

Do they send an email or a letter or what if you're rejected? I interviewed 9/30 and still waiting.

Interviewed 9/16 and still havent heard anything back. Assuming its a rejection.

I had a very similar experience as ATPsynthase123. During my interview, I was asked very specific ethical/religious questions and was drilled on them. I answered them in a way that was ethically appropriate, but I feel like they wanted me to say that I would never give someone an abortion and that I would never be pro-physician assisted suicide. It made me uncomfortable and also made me question the goals and mission of the school.
Liberty needs to be approached with caution until they name a new dean and have released COMLEX scores and match rates. To me, they are uninterested in pursuing science and medicine as wholly as they should be and would rather focus on how to incorporate god into medicine.
While interviewing, the dean also mentioned SDN multiple times, which I found inappropriate. They know what their reputation is and I don't think they care to change it.

edit* I am in no way trying to "bash" Liberty. The people were incredibly kind and the school was beautiful with great facilities. I am trying to share my experience.

I forgot to mention this, but I asked my first interviewer (who told me he was clinical faculty) about his opinion on preceptor based clinicals vs. wards based training. He had no idea what they were and fumbled through he answer.

I later found out that he lied to me and was actually just an OMM professor.

Hiya,

Questions that weren't brought up during the interview and I didn't dare to ask: Does LUCOM incorporate evolution into its curriculum at all? I have trouble imagining a medical curriculum that doesn't touch upon the unifying principles behind all biology. What about things like discussing sex before marriage, homosexuality, abortions for reasons of the mother's survival and other delicate but necessary topics to work in the field?

All the best with your training

No problem. I would advise you, however, to not be shy asking questions. Questions are good and we welcome it. It shows you did your homework and are trying to engage with the subject.

I am pretty sure some professors believe God created the Earth, others believe in evolution, and others believe God is responsible for evolution. I base this on conversations I have with professors out of class (such as class parties, barbaques, etc). Some professors express awe at some amazing body mechanism in religious terms (like an OMM doctor joking that God made the ASIS and the PSIS with DO's in mind because it is a great landmark to place your thumb and evaluate pelvic mechanics), but that is pretty much all the "religion" we are ever "taught" in courses. This is a medical school, not a religion school.

At LUCOM we get an extra hour to study on Wednesdays from 10 to 11, or we are welcome to attend their devotional at that time. These devotionals usually begin and end in prayer, there is a musical number performed by a LUCOM band (all class of 2019 and 2020 students) and a message from a speaker. The library is kept open so students who prefer to study can do so, but if you are looking for a break you can take advantage of these devotionals and unwind for a bit.

Sex before marriage, LGBT issues, abortion is all addressed on our medical ethics course. Things discussed include "how should a pregnant adolescent be cared for? Is she under her parents insurance? If so, you must know that the parents will find out you did a pregnancy test/abortion when they get the bill. So what are your choices? One, you could foot the bill yourself; two, the patient can pay out of pocket; three, you can give the young adult the chance to tell the parents with you by their side and work out a plan of care that envolves the patient's family as well." Things like that. The school emphasizes patient autonomy, explains that if a physician objects to a procedure such as abortion or is unable to perform a procedure due to being beyond their scope of practice the physician is still obligated to provide care until appropriate care can be transferred to another doctor who can provide the care needed, etc.

That is pretty much it. I'm loving second year so far, it is much better than year one. I hope it continues getting better as the years go by.

Reactions: 6 users
How do you check liberty mail?
That's strange.. I remember them saying they typically call if you're wait listed. They only stay silent (or send you an email) if you're rejected. I could be wrong about this, especially since you said you confirmed it, but it is odd that you got no form of communication about it.

I know people talk garbage about this school, but I've always believed that any school is what you make out of it. I'll be applying here this year, and I wish you all the best of luck.