Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How do you know who you are interviewing with?
They send an itenary about 2 weeks prior to your interview with names of interviewers and what time you'll interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta call from him today too. Accepted! Prepare for some good news!

What was your entrance stats? MCAT GPA, Experiences? If you do not mind me asking. ( I am scheduled for an interview and would like to know my real chances. ) THANKS!!

What was your entrance stats? MCAT GPA, Experiences? If you do not mind me asking. ( I am scheduled for an interview and would like to know my real chances. ) THANKS!!

To my knowledge if you have an interview then you're probably fine on the stat front. They just want to see you as a person. This school accepts a lower range of stats so I would instead focus on your interview experience and ensuring you can answer questions like "Why DO?" And "Why LUCOM?"

Do you mind if I ask you your stats? GPA (undergrad/science), MCAT, previous work?
I got in with a 3.7 GPA and 506 MCAT. Also note I've taken the MCAT 3x though with the 506 being the highest haha. Other scores were 498 and 501.

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/27 or later heard back yet? The wait is killing me.

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/27 or later heard back yet? The wait is killing me.

My interview was on 10/27 and I haven't heard a single thing yet. I'm dying here knowing something before thanksgiving would be amazing.

10/24 group, I see that someone got their acceptance less than a week later. Here I am in week 4, still waiting. I really do want to go here, the place looks absolutely amazing. I hope I get a call.

10/24 group, I see that someone got their acceptance less than a week later. Here I am in week 4, still waiting. I really do want to go here, the place looks absolutely amazing. I hope I get a call.
I'm still waiting from the 10/7 group lol. I'll probably call this week.

*Refreshing thread like crazy* because i feel like calls are going out today!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my ASIST portal again, it says waitlist current class. D: Now I'm a little sad, but imma try to keep my hopes up.

Where did you see that? The last thing I see is PV Pending Interview
Same place you see that. Eventually a third one should pop up under that. It just changed not too long ago for me, it was still only PV Pending Interview this morning.

How do you access the portal? Is it the same place we scheduled our interview?

I just checked my ASIST portal again, it says waitlist current class. D: Now I'm a little sad, but imma try to keep my hopes up.
Thanks for the heads up on the ASIST portal. Just checked mine and was rejected today (still no email through LU or personal account). Best of luck to all those applying!

When did you all interview??

Accepted! A half hour ago. Interviewed 11/4.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten a call on a day other than Thursday? Someone from my interview group was accepted so does that most likely mean a waitlist or rejection? :(

They seem to call on Thursdays and Mondays.

Accepted!!! Interviewed 10/24. I'm gonna become a physician :happy:

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed at LUCOM a bit earlier this cycle. I received an acceptance call within the same week that I interviewed. I admit I was apprehensive about applying to LUCOM because of the reputation/politics of the parent institution, but was impressed after my interview. The facilities were great, the faculty seems genuine, and the students seemed engaged, happy and supportive. (I will admit that one of my individual interviews was almost entirely dedicated to religion/faith as some earlier posters mentioned).

The biggest drawbacks to me of LUCOM stem from it being a new school. Since this year is the first time students are going through clinical rotations, the lack of real feedback about the quality of their clerkships was something I wasn't comfortable with. Another con was that since no students have graduated, no track record for residency matches is available. I was a bit nervous that LUCOM students may unfairly have an uphill battle matching with some programs based on how new the school is and the reputation Liberty University holds in some circles.

I do genuinely feel that LUCOM has serious potential to become a very respected program, and of course will develop very capable physicians. For now though I will be withdrawing my acceptance from LUCOM in favor of an acceptance at another school. Good luck everyone!!

Does anyone know when the class of 2021 facebook group opens up?

Also, are there any current students available who I can PM to ask a few questions?

And lastly.. any 10/13 interviewers who got accepted/waitlisted on SDN here?

Headed to Lynchburg in a few hours to check into the hotel. Good luck to the others interviewing tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed today. Really blown away by the campus, the people, and the students. Everyone is friendly and eager to answer questions.

Great place. Hope to hear good news from them in 3-4 weeks.

P.s. the interview is incredibly low stress. So if you interview here just be yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going for an interview next week. I've seen some mixed reviews about this school based on their Christian affiliation.

To those that have interviewed, what are some things to expect?

I'm going for an interview next week. I've seen some mixed reviews about this school based on their Christian affiliation.

To those that have interviewed, what are some things to expect?

Honestly, expect one of your coolest interview day experiences. I went into my interview with mixed signals from the lovely SDN crowd and left absolutely wowed by my day. As far as the "Christian affiliation" goes, neither one of my interviewers talked at all about my beliefs. I am a Christian but don't fit the "southern baptist" norm of the school and don't wear my religion on my sleeve and I'm not super vocal about my beliefs. With that in mind, I never felt like Christianity was being forced into any conversations or proceedings of the day. We started the day with a prayer, prayed over the food, and ended the day with a prayer but that was that. Christianity came up a couple of times but in a more casual and unforced way and I was never asked about my personal beliefs or religion.

What impressed me about the day was how genuine everyone was. Everyone I talked to was super nice and caring. It was almost like they were all getting paid or offered extra credit to some say hi to us and to get to know us all while looking happy. I tried to get every student I talked to to say something bad about the school or their experience and literally the ONLY thing I could get out of someone was "I wish we had a big food court in the building." You also get to hang out with one of the associate deans the entire day and other administration which, at many interviews, you will never meet nor see during interview day. There was a huge sense of comradery and unity at the school among the staff and students and it felt like I was on a recruiting trip and not interviewing at a medical school.

Go into the day relaxed and excited to meet awesome people and to have a great experience. It was easily my favorite interview day thus far.

Reactions: 5 users
I 2nd Mo3's post.

And I wish there was small gym in the building, you have to go down to main campus for that. But that's a small thing. The medical teaching facilities are immaculate.

I'm going to be doc! Just got a call from LUCOM with an acceptance. I interviewed just 3 days ago... Wow.

Reactions: 3 users
I was in class and missed a call from the dean! He left a voicemail saying to call back in the morning. They dont call for the waitlist do they?!

I was in class and missed a call from the dean! He left a voicemail saying to call back in the morning. They dont call for the waitlist do they?!

Im pretty sure they said they don't call if your wait-listed or rejected. :)

same here! i have another interview tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'm able to get a hold of them before they decide they don't want me anymore haha

Accepted!!!! :soexcited:I've waited yearsss to say that lol

Reactions: 6 users
I just interviewed here and fell in love with the campus and faculty! They treated me like I was already accepted. I hope I get an acceptance call! :nailbiting:

I just interviewed here and fell in love with the campus and faculty! They treated me like I was already accepted. I hope I get an acceptance call! :nailbiting:
They stick pretty close to the 2 weeks and getting back to you thing. Honestly it was probably the most laid back interview I've had so far and I loved all the staff! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

They stick pretty close to the 2 weeks and getting back to you thing. Honestly it was probably the most laid back interview I've had so far and I loved all the staff! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

It seriously was! I even discussed to the assistant dean for admissions how I entered nervous and left completely relaxed and confident. Congratulations on your acceptance, by the way!