You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Was anyone pulled off the waitlist today?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got an email saying I was still on the wait list but that it's beginning to move. Pretty boring email but it's nice to hear something from them!
Same here!
When is orientation day/dates and when is the first day of classes?
Please mark your calendar for these important events for the Class of 2020.
- Orientation: August 1-3, 2016
- First Two Days of Classes: August 4-5, 2016
- White Coat Ceremony: August 7, 2016
- Classes Continue: August 8, 2016
BMS applicant here, were there any essays in the grad application?..I found that a little strange that it did not include any
I don't remember an essay, or even having to submit an application fee. Has anyone heard from the BMS program? I withdrew from it but I'm still curious.BMS applicant here, were there any essays in the grad application?..I found that a little strange that it did not include any
Congrats! Did you just apply to the BMS program? Or are you currently on the wait list for the DO program as well?I was accepted to the BMS program last week, anyone else accepted?
Congrats! Did you just apply to the BMS program? Or are you currently on the wait list for the DO program as well?
Thank you! I got rejected from the DO program a little earlier this cycle so they invited me to apply to the BMS program. Just wondering if anyone else was accepted and thinking about doing the BMS program?
I was accepted to the BMS program last week, anyone else accepted?
Good luck with the BMS program!! I'm not sure if Marian's conditionally accepts those that do exceptionally well, but I know many programs do. Just be sure that you're 100% going to put everything you have into this, because if for some reason you do poorly it is a literal gigantic money sink (not trying to come off as mean, I would totally do a BMS if I needed to).Thank you! I got rejected from the DO program a little earlier this cycle so they invited me to apply to the BMS program. Just wondering if anyone else was accepted and thinking about doing the BMS program?
Is there a FB page for accepted students?
Is there a FB page for accepted students?
Did you get accepted off the WL?
24 MCAT currently retaking, 3.5 cGPA, 3.3sGPAwhat were you stats?
A whole lot of healthcare, lab and volunteer experience, which is basically why I was put on the alternate list and not rejected being OOS.
Good luck everyone!
For those of you wondering if I'd consider going, YES! I'm definitely all in if I get the acceptance to the program because I really think it's worth it. Love the school, love the environment and love the guaranteed interview if you get a 3.5 GPA in the fall semester!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does this school favor in state applicants?
Does this school favor in state applicants?
Yes. They try for 50% of the class to be in-state.
Yes I was. Love this school!Did you get accepted off the WL?
Yes I was. Love this school!
Congrats! Can I ask what your stats are and if you are IS or OOS? Also, when did you interview?
I also got into the MBS program. However, I'm from Florida and that's a ways away for a first year program. Really wish they could give us a little more clarity on how they'll favor their own MBS students, if at all.
I was also accepted into the BMS program. There may be a problem with my sociology course however so I'm getting that straightened out. I was accepted into the "Medical School Track" and need to find out what happens if I don't get into medical school after that year - can I do the second year research track or am I just out a year of my time and $22,000 with no degree to show for it?
I was also accepted into the BMS program. There may be a problem with my sociology course however so I'm getting that straightened out. I was accepted into the "Medical School Track" and need to find out what happens if I don't get into medical school after that year - can I do the second year research track or am I just out a year of my time and $22,000 with no degree to show for it?
I was wondering the same thing. Can you help answer, @MU-COM?
Last edited:
Has anyone gotten anymore information on this program and is there a facebook group?
New to the thread here. I've also been accepted into the BMS program. Anyone know if they've announced orientation dates?
I just submitted my tuition deposit, and on the bottom of the confirmation e-mail it still says "Orientation (TBD)".New to the thread here. I've also been accepted into the BMS program. Anyone know if they've announced orientation dates?
Has anyone been accepted off the COM waitlist? Or has anyone heard of any movement? I was told that June and July were the busiest months, but I haven't seen much activity on the thread.
I have a friend who got accepted off the waitlist this week. Things are movin'.
.
Last edited:
Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any WL movement from here lately? Anyone hear anything?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Any WL movement from here lately? Anyone hear anything?
.
Last edited:
Currently on the WL and just got this email from Bryan:
Greetings!
As you await a final decision on your DO application, I write to share information about MU-COM’s Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (BMS) program, which will enroll its inaugural class in August 2016. The program offers two tracks:
If you wish to apply for the BMS program, please email me. I will send you application information, which involves an online certification. The application fee is being waived for those on the DO alternate list. Applying for the BMS program will not affect your application to the DO program. Instead, the BMS program provides you with an alternate plan for the fall, if you are not admitted to medical school. Application review will start after July 8.
According to Michael LaFontaine, PhD, BMS program director, the program has been "designed by COM faculty to focus on material commonly presented in year one of medical school to minimize academic struggles, thus, maximizing preparedness for and success with a modern professional school curriculum."
If you have questions, let me know. I appreciate your continued interest in MU-COM—and patience with our process.
Bryan
P.S. If you have already made plans for the fall semester and wish to be removed from the DO alternate list, let me know.
Greetings!
As you await a final decision on your DO application, I write to share information about MU-COM’s Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (BMS) program, which will enroll its inaugural class in August 2016. The program offers two tracks:
- Medical School—to enhance your application through graduate science courses similar to the first year of medical school.
- Research—to pursue a career in the life/biomedical sciences or research laboratories.
If you wish to apply for the BMS program, please email me. I will send you application information, which involves an online certification. The application fee is being waived for those on the DO alternate list. Applying for the BMS program will not affect your application to the DO program. Instead, the BMS program provides you with an alternate plan for the fall, if you are not admitted to medical school. Application review will start after July 8.
According to Michael LaFontaine, PhD, BMS program director, the program has been "designed by COM faculty to focus on material commonly presented in year one of medical school to minimize academic struggles, thus, maximizing preparedness for and success with a modern professional school curriculum."
If you have questions, let me know. I appreciate your continued interest in MU-COM—and patience with our process.
Bryan
P.S. If you have already made plans for the fall semester and wish to be removed from the DO alternate list, let me know.
Can anyone comment on the rotations at this school? Is it mostly preceptor based or wards based? On their website it says they have 8 elective rotations in the 4th year, is this true? The location seems prime. I don't think they have a match list available yet.
.
Last edited:
Is there a facebook page for accepted students to the BMS program?
A fellow BMS student created one at https://www.facebook.com/groups/889757181168388/.
MU-COM
I was also accepted into the BMS program. There may be a problem with my sociology course however so I'm getting that straightened out. I was accepted into the "Medical School Track" and need to find out what happens if I don't get into medical school after that year - can I do the second year research track or am I just out a year of my time and $22,000 with no degree to show for it?
There is a pathway for medical school track students to move into the research track, but it is at the discretion of the faculty.
Admissions
New to the thread here. I've also been accepted into the BMS program. Anyone know if they've announced orientation dates?
BMS orientation is August 22 from noon - 4 PM.
Admissions
Has anyone been accepted off the COM waitlist? Or has anyone heard of any movement? I was told that June and July were the busiest months, but I haven't seen much activity on the thread.
There have been about 5-7 admits off the alternate list in June.
Admissions
@MU-COM
Will you notify waitlisted students of which tier they are in?
We do not inform you which tier.
MU-COM
I received that as well. Not sure if that means anything about my wait list position. I'm guessing they just sent it out to everyone on the list?
It was sent to everyone who is confirmed on the alternate list. Has no meaning other than offering you an alternative plan for the fall IF not admitted to the DO program. NOTE: The BMS program is housed in the COM and organized/taught by COM faculty. The program also has a linkage to the DO program in that those with a 3.5 in the fall semester are guaranteed a DO interview in the spring.
Admissions
There have been about 5-7 admits off the alternate list in June.
Admissions
Is the class currently completely full?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hows the rotation sites here? I know this school is new... so obvi it doesn't have a match list yet. Why did you guys choose this school? Need reasons for applying here..
Thank you! I got rejected from the DO program a little earlier this cycle so they invited me to apply to the BMS program. Just wondering if anyone else was accepted and thinking about doing the BMS program?
If you don't mind me asking how has your experience been since entering the BMS program? What is the class schedule like, how long is the program, and do you feel the program has made you a better candidate for medical school? Lastly, can you state your stats?
If you don't mind me asking how has your experience been since entering the BMS program? What is the class schedule like, how long is the program, and do you feel the program has made you a better candidate for medical school? Lastly, can you state your stats?
Hi! I'm attending the MBS program in the fall. I was hoping to talk to a student who completed the program already! Please message me !! I would appreciate it 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 187
- Views
- 48K
D
- Replies
- 338
- Views
- 89K
- Replies
- 447
- Views
- 98K
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 502
- Views
- 130K