MCW vs U miami vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you chose

• medical college of Wisconsin

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • VCU

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • U miami

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

blazer123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend was recently accepted to MCW, U miami, and VCU. I'm trying to decide among these 3 schools and im OOS resident. I think cost wise they are all about the same. I do hope to match back to California (my home state).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It really depends upon what you want. They're all solid schools and you wouldn't be going wrong with any of the three. Look into their missions as well as consider geography. Where in the country do you want to spend those 4 yrs? None is going to really limit (or greatly enhance) your choice of residency as all 3 are solidly in the middle tier of MD programs. Curriculum is also important as are (IMO) clinical experiences. I know MCV (VCU) has REALLY good clinical experience all around with the top hospital system in state and awesome early clinical experience (unlike what I hear other med students talk about when they mention how their early clinical experience was "worthless" -- I do think that gives one a leg up M3 year based on what I hear from upperclassmen and residents). Not sure about Miami or MCW, but I know MCW has a new curriculum that they've been playing with (as does MCV).

One thing to do is check the match lists and see if students frequently go back to CA as this might be a limiting factor in terms of those PDs knowing who your school is. I know MCV get lots of CA students because we take about 100 OOS students/yr (half our class). I would guess MCW is similar but maybe less so for Miami.

Last edited:
What specialties are you potentially interested in?

Would you prefer a warmer climate or do you like living in places with seasons?
(ie do you mind cold weather/snow)

Would you rather live in a big city or more of a medium sized city?
(Miami>Milwaukee>Richmond)

Do you want to go to a school w lots of other cali residents?
(VCU>MCW>Miami)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the quick response :)

I guess i hope to be with more californians and most importantly match back to LA after 4 years or NYC. I am thinking of doing internal med and a bit curious about ENT as well (probably will shadow one). Also i think cold weather can be a bit of issue, since i'm from cali.

I'm actually trying to make a similar decision myself, between MCW and VCU, and I also want to match back into Cali. I looked at last year's match lists from both schools, and calculated that about 14% of MCW students go back to Cali, while only 7% of VCU students go back to Cali. Now that may be a bit of an unfair statistic because it really depends on how many Ca students already enrolled in the class etc, but nevertheless.

Curriculum wise, I like VCU's 1.5 year preclinical more vs MCW's more traditional 2 year preclinical, as well as VCU's P/F vs MCW's 5 point grading system. That being said, it will be VCU's first year running the curriculum, while it will the second for MCW, and so more kinks will be fixed.

As far as clinical experiences, both hospitals are ranked similarly in US News, maybe a slight edge to VCU, but MCW's children's hospital has a very strong reputation. I think either school will be good in this regard, while VCU may have a slightly more community oriented approach to their medical philosophy.

As far as living, Milwaukee is a much bigger city than Richmond. More professional sports (something that's important to me, as I especially love the NBA and Milwuakee Bucks games are cheap for when I have some free time), as well as Milwaukee being a craft beer haven. Richmond is a bit smaller, but still has plenty of culture, especially since VCU's Art Program is one of the top 3 in the nation, so there's a lot of art galleries, music, and even interesting restaurants etc. Another thing I like about MCW over VCU is that living close to school in Wauwatosa, you'd be in a relatively quiet and safe suburb and can drive 10 minutes to go into downtown if you'd wish, while in VCU you're more or less in the city wherever you live.

Vcu's campus is also in downtown, which was very cool and I can imagine could make for great people watching when you're walking between class and hospital etc. MCW is much more tucked away.

Anyways sorry for the long rant. I'm going to follow this thread closely, so I won't have to make my own, so I'll drop in and share more as I learn more.

All 3 schools should provide similar clinical and research opportunities w regard to IM or ENT.

Miami is known for:
Ophthalmology (Bascom-Palmer is the #1 ranked eye hospital currently)
Vascular-Interventional Radiology
Trauma (Ryder)

MCW is known for:
Pediatrics (as already mentioned)

Just pick the school you like best for curriculum, location, and "fit".

Status
Not open for further replies.