MCW vs U of MN (vs Case)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssaiyan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to MCW and U of MN but on the waitlist for Case. So this is mostly between UMN and MCW but to avoid making another thread in the future, let's throw Case into the mix now.

MCW- I have my finaid package so if you're a finance buff, please pm me and help a sister out with understanding it.
Pros: Research, Guinea pigs for new curriculum, cheap housing, nice students from errwhere around the US, a decent amount of ppl match to CA, one of my good friends lives here,
Cons: It's freaking Milwaukee! It seemed pretty dull. Guinea pigs for new curriculum, 5hrs away from home - pricey to fly for 1hr but kinda far to drive home often,

U of MN
Pros: Family, living at home, in-state tuition, I think Minneapolis is a cool city, research (neuro/stem cell stuff), convenient choice,
Cons: Parents will be all up in my grill, I didn't really click or connect with any of the students I met that day, exams still on paper, the interview day was just meh, gross anatomy lab was especially gross, convenient choice

Case
Pro: Good hospital and clinical training, genuinely nice (and attractive) students (I forsee at least 2 drunken hook ups with my classmates before I learn my lesson), research (CV), I fell in love with the school, dig the curriculum
Cons: Tests are infrequent and therefore cover a **** ton of material, didn't really get to see much of Cleveland, I'd have to fly home

I'm of the thought that I will most likely get a good education wherever I go so it's the little and random things that I'm taking into consideration. It's also been a while since I've looked at my notes and school info....
Any insight or help would be appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you don't like UMN very much.

I've been accepted to MCW and U of MN but on the waitlist for Case. So this is mostly between UMN and MCW but to avoid making another thread in the future, let's throw Case into the mix now.

MCW- I have my finaid package so if you're a finance buff, please pm me and help a sister out with understanding it.
Pros: Research, Guinea pigs for new curriculum, cheap housing, nice students from errwhere around the US, a decent amount of ppl match to CA, one of my good friends lives here,
Cons: It's freaking Milwaukee! It seemed pretty dull. Guinea pigs for new curriculum, 5hrs away from home - pricey to fly for 1hr but kinda far to drive home often,

U of MN
Pros: Family, living at home, in-state tuition, I think Minneapolis is a cool city, research (neuro/stem cell stuff), convenient choice,
Cons: Parents will be all up in my grill, I didn't really click or connect with any of the students I met that day, exams still on paper, the interview day was just meh, gross anatomy lab was especially gross, convenient choice

Case
Pro: Good hospital and clinical training, genuinely nice (and attractive) students (I forsee at least 2 drunken hook ups with my classmates before I learn my lesson), research (CV), I fell in love with the school, dig the curriculum
Cons: Tests are infrequent and therefore cover a **** ton of material, didn't really get to see much of Cleveland, I'd have to fly home

I'm of the thought that I will most likely get a good education wherever I go so it's the little and random things that I'm taking into consideration. It's also been a while since I've looked at my notes and school info....
i'd choose minneaopolis over milwaukee. you never know if the people you met on your interview day will even be matriculating, I wouldn't base your decision off of that. go for the in state tuition, you have no idea how lucky you are to have that option!

also, idk where you're from in minnesota, but if you're from the twin cities or further away, that drive from milwaukee to MN is at least 6 + hours. not to mention it is the worst most boring drive, farm and cows errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwhere. just my opinion, but I would never wanna do that drive more than once or twice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i'd choose minneaopolis over milwaukee. you never know if the people you met on your interview day will even be matriculating, I wouldn't base your decision off of that. go for the in state tuition, you have no idea how lucky you are to have that option!

also, idk where you're from in minnesota, but if you're from the twin cities or further away, that drive from milwaukee to MN is at least 6 + hours. not to mention it is the worst most boring drive, farm and cows errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrwhere. just my opinion, but I would never wanna do that drive more than once or twice.

Sorry, but I disagree. I have lived in Milwaukee for a while and make the drive regularly. The drive to the Cities is usually 4.5 to 5 hours. 6+ would require hitting traffic in both cities.

To be fair, OP, MCW isn't actually in city proper Milwaukee, it's in the Wauwatosa area (which I believe is where Scott Walker lives, FWIW). So I am assuming you didn't get to see most of the city. I am not the biggest fan of the city, but the downtown area can be quite nice and fun in the summer and fall. There's a bunch of festivals that go on at the Summerfest grounds.

I interviewed at both MCW and Case. I liked both places a lot, and Case was one of my top choices (it was just too expensive). One thing that struck me was that MCW had a huge class (~200, if I remember correctly).

U of MN

Case

MCW student here. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll try to give you an honest answer!

As far as the new curriculum, I definitely understand the concern there; it's always tough to be the first group to do something. I would expect the transition to go pretty smoothly though since they've already run a pilot program. Not sure if you came back for the Second Look day but the new renovations to the anatomy lab and the "active learning" classroom look pretty cool. Just something else to consider.

Sounds like you don't like UMN very much.
It's not like I don't like it, it just doesn't really excite me. I feel that I'm leaning towards it only because it is convenient, both financially and personally.

Sorry, but I disagree. I have lived in Milwaukee for a while and make the drive regularly. The drive to the Cities is usually 4.5 to 5 hours. 6+ would require hitting traffic in both cities.

To be fair, OP, MCW isn't actually in city proper Milwaukee, it's in the Wauwatosa area (which I believe is where Scott Walker lives, FWIW). So I am assuming you didn't get to see most of the city. I am not the biggest fan of the city, but the downtown area can be quite nice and fun in the summer and fall. There's a bunch of festivals that go on at the Summerfest grounds.

I interviewed at both MCW and Case. I liked both places a lot, and Case was one of my top choices (it was just too expensive). One thing that struck me was that MCW had a huge class (~200, if I remember correctly).
I remember that too but U of MN is ~170 so they both have big classes. I did get to see a little bit of the city but it was at night. I went to this outdoor shopping mall, which was actually nice, and a bar.

My instate tuition is probably just a bit more expensive than the finaid package I received for MCW. U of MN has a separate and ridiculously steep summer session tuition. I haven't gotten my U of MN finaid package yet though.

Obviously, I'm going to vote Case. It's a fantastic place. Lemme know if you have any questions!

I lived in Minneapoli for 6 years....loved it...I mean, absolutely loved it....but that said, I would not go to the U of MN, and did not even apply there.

I would go to Case if you could figure out the money (after getting off the waitlist). As much as I'd love to go to school in Scott Walker's stomping grounds :eek:, I'll still come out and say pick the U of MN. I may not like it, but with the choices you have, it is hard to beat for what you are getting.

I'm an incoming M1 at Case who was also accepted at the U of MN (and turned down an II at MCW), and I would go CASE! By far the best medical school, and Cleveland, especially the area surrounding the medical school, is beautiful and takes a lot of unnecessary flack on SDN for whatever reason. I'm a MN resident, so I'm paying a significantly larger price tag to go to Case. If you would like to know more of my reasons why, PM me. It was never really a question for me though. If I got into Case, it's where I was going to go after I left on my interview day.

Also, if you're a MN resident, I'd consider what you're wanting to eventually specialize in. If it's primary care, then I'd save your money and head to UMN. If you want to specialize into anything competitive or semi-competitive, go to Case in a heartbeat and don't worry about the money! :thumbup:

Best of luck deciding (and hopefully you'll get pulled off Case's waitlist).

Status
Not open for further replies.