Michigan State CHM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salinas82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Californian resident who was recently accepted to MSU CHM and I was wondering if anyone can give me insight into what it's like to establish MI residency there for tuition purposes. My wife will be working in Michigan while I am in school and we would most likely purchase a home.
Has anyone been able to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

For an unmarried student to establish MI residency, they must work in Michigan for a year before starting school. I'm not sure how this works for a married student - if 1) your wife would have to be working for a year before you were considered a resident, or 2) you would get to pay in-state tuition right off the bat because she is employed. Unfortunately, my guess is the #1.

What you should really do is call the financial aid office - they're very nice and can answer all of your questions much better than anyone on the forum. I called several times with questions last spring after being accepted and they were always happy to help. Be sure to ask to speak to a medical student advisor because the phone number just gets you to the general financial aid office for the entire university.

http://finaid.msu.edu/med/default.asp
The link to contact info at the top has the phone number.

I was accepted to CHM in 2008 and I decided to defer in order to establish residency. I've been in Michigan since July in order to qualify for the 12 months of continuous residence prior to starting school, however I'm still not sure if I will be granted in-state status. It seems pretty difficult. At the same time, it's pretty unheard of for a school to allow a deferral in order to establish residency, which makes me feel just optimistic enough to convince myself that I'm not wasting a year. The savings I would get by being in-state are ridiculous. I really hope that it works out.

These are the official rules, and if you call, they say they don't make exceptions. Maybe true, maybe not? Your wife having a job there might help you, otherwise if you want to save a LOT, defer, move to Michigan (remember, that can be anywhere in the state), work for a year, and then start.

http://www.reg.msu.edu/ROInfo/Notices/Residency.asp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.