2025-2026 Michigan State

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not getting into your top choice can definitely sting, but I really believe you end up where you’re meant to be. If medicine is what you’re meant to do, keep going until you get there—it’s worth it.
Top school is anywhere that sees what an applicant has to offer, values them, and offers an A. I’ll always give credit to MSU on their culture and mission, they’re one of the few that understand the importance of service to marginalized communities and lives by it. Not just another copy and paste mission/values you see at every other school.
 
Last edited:
The reported data on MSAR says otherwise. Not trying to nitpick, but I trust the AAMC data over self reported stuff.
First off, the current MSAR data for MSU isn’t updated to reflect the most recent cycle. Second, the 518 for in-state applicants represents the 90th percentile, meaning there are definitely students accepted with scores higher than that. There just aren’t as many, since they’re already a bit above the average to begin with. You also have to keep in mind that U of M is right next door, and a lot of higher-scoring applicants who see U of M as a better fit for their future—especially given its prestige—might not even apply, or follow through, with MSU if they are getting traction at UofM or elsewhere. Plus, there are always students with strong scores who just prefer other schools or want to stay closer to home.

As for the lower averages among out-of-state applicants, that’s pretty understandable too. Applicants with higher scores might not want to move across the country if they don’t have to, so they’re less likely to apply or matriculate here. On the other hand, many applicants with more average stats tend to cast a wider net and end up going where they get in—and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

At the end of the day, I have nothing to gain from making this up. I’m just trying to help people be a little less anxious and a little kinder to themselves during this process. If you choose not to take my word or inside perspective, that’s totally fine too.

But I definitely do agree with your comments on “top school”.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What have been the interview dates so far? I know there is one on Nov 18 and dec 8 and Sep 29? Is there like one per month
 
What have been the interview dates so far? I know there is one on Nov 18 and dec 8 and Sep 29? Is there like one per month
Mine was 9/25 and that was the first interview day of the cycle, so I would assume there are 2 interview days per month since I've seen 10/9 and 10/14 as interview dates too.
 
Has anyone who has previously interviewed got a post-II R? I interview 10/6 and haven't heard back, but I know multiple people have gotten A's who interviewed around then or later (congrats to all!). I wasn't sure if not hearing anything was good or bad haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently confused why MSU sends out a massive wave of rejections and interviews yet I haven't heard yet after submitting my secondary in July. Figured I would at least hear something back by now even if it isn't good news
 
Currently confused why MSU sends out a massive wave of rejections and interviews yet I haven't heard yet after submitting my secondary in July. Figured I would at least hear something back by now even if it isn't good news
Same here. Lower stat applicant in-state and have not heard anything but have decent ties. I really want this school but genuinely have no idea whether it's a good or bad thing that we have not heard anything yet.
 
Same here. Lower stat applicant in-state and have not heard anything but have decent ties. I really want this school but genuinely have no idea whether it's a good or bad thing that we have not heard anything yet.
these waves of R's tells ups one thing, That they're not afraid to send them. IIRC MSU says that they space so late interviews are not basically WL spots. We obviously dont get to see behind the curtain, but if we were rejected, they would tell us decent soon after and not wait till march
 
these waves of R's tells ups one thing, That they're not afraid to send them. IIRC MSU says that they space so late interviews are not basically WL spots. We obviously dont get to see behind the curtain, but if we were rejected, they would tell us decent soon after and not wait till march
Makes sense, figured I would get one quick as a relatively low stat OOS applicant. Guess you never know
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So for an app update, it says only to use the document uploader if the admissions team has told you do so. Did anyone send in an app update or maybe just wait and hope for an II?