Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!! Did you get the call today? When did you interview?
Yeah this morning. Interviewed Oct. 21.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, just a heads up for the 2017 cycle, when should I apply? I'm planning to retake my MCAT in March and I want to get my primary application done in the first few days. And also, I have a 3.5, worked in a nursing home for 2.5 years, pharmacy technician for about a year, some shadow and less than <100 volunteer hours, what would be my chances if I score at least a 505 on the MCAT???? THANK you!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think I have a chance at this school? Complete mid Sept, LizzyM high 60s.

Interview on 10/21 put on Tier 2 which I think is basically a rejection. 3.53/505/2000 hours scribe/msu for undergrad. Congrats to all that have been accepted - enjoy being a Spartan!

Okay, just a heads up for the 2017 cycle, when should I apply? I'm planning to retake my MCAT in March and I want to get my primary application done in the first few days. And also, I have a 3.5, worked in a nursing home for 2.5 years, pharmacy technician for about a year, some shadow and less than <100 volunteer hours, what would be my chances if I score at least a 505 on the MCAT???? THANK you!!!!!

I would think your chances for an interview are pretty good with those stats. C

I have a friend that just got accepted to Burrell in NM, and their OOS tuition is around 40K a year for OOS students!

Nice. Except for the fact it is a brand new school in the middle of nowhere. They have to make it cheaper to get people to go there.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Looking for brutal honesty here - am I a chump for attending MSUCOM as an OOS student if I don't undertake the DO-PhD program? I'm lucky in that I attended a state school and have no debt whatsoever. I know almni from MSU and feel that it is in a league of its own with regards to DO programs. I liked the school when I visited and am excited about clerkship options and the state hospital system.

somewhat unrelated question - is MSUCOM pass/fail?
Pros:
MI is the best place for DO students in terms of residency. MSUCOM is tied into the majority of the hospitals in the state and has a good reputation. If you are comfortable living in the state and practicing here then it will get get you where you want to go if you put the work in. If you get Do-PhD then you will get a tuition cut and that definitely is awesome.

Cons:
That tuition for OOS is so steep though! They give out some scholarships so I would look into that immediately. The White Coat investor suggests you always go to the cheapest school you get into.

I don't think anyone can make the call except for you and how you feel. Take into account your comfort level at all the schools and the feel because you will spend a lot of time at whatever school you choose!

Reactions: 1 users
You're in state right? Stats if you're willing to share?

Yep! 3.6 gpa (both), 512 MCAT (2nd attempt)

Are you me? I had very similar stats and experiences (nursing home) prior to my second MCAT. Shoot for the highest score you can on the MCAT and you shouldn't have a problem getting an II.

Got zero II love for November so far. I think I should send an update letter this time around.

Anyone got II's for the month of December?

Hey guys just interviewed yesterday! Been stalking this forum since I applied and finally decided to contribute. Can't wait to hear back!

Reactions: 2 users
Interview on 10/21 put on Tier 2 which I think is basically a rejection. 3.53/505/2000 hours scribe/msu for undergrad. Congrats to all that have been accepted - enjoy being a Spartan!

Did they call to tell you that you were waitlisted? Or just email?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I think I missed the call at about 12:30 because I was asleep but I got an email ^.^. I interviewed on October 21st so I wasn't expecting good news anymore given that nearly 30 day window.

Now I have a difficult choice to make about which school....strange problem to have.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted! Can't believe i'm going to medical school... :heckyeah: :heckyeah:

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted! I think I missed the call at about 12:30 because I was asleep but I got an email ^.^. I interviewed on October 21st so I wasn't expecting good news anymore given that nearly 30 day window.

Now I have a difficult choice to make about which school....strange problem to have.

IS or OOS? Stats?

IS or OOS? Stats?

In-state. 3.7/3.7/504. I went to a certain school that may or may not have a rivalry with MSU.

Also, being accepted reminds me I have not taken a biochemistry course and would need to do that before beginning if I decide on MSU. I don't even know where I would do that :dead:

Last edited:
OOS Just accepted today!!!!!!! We have until Jan. to pay the deposit, does anyone know if our campus choice will go through even if we wait to pay the deposit? I don't get paid for another two weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
Stats? When was your interview? Did they call you to tell you that you were accepted? Im canadian tooo so im just hangin' tight haha!

Interview was 10/18 and I got the call today around 1:30. Honestly the waiting game is so tough, just keep hanging in there!

Stats: 3.54/3.55/509

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted. Canadian.
Interviewed Oct 21.

I could be a doctor if I accepted. Cool.

Did any Canadian get an e-mail saying we have to show $87k financial proof for I-20?

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted. Canadian student.

Secondary submitted 8/13/2016
II 9/06/2016
I 10/21/2016
Accepted 11/18/2016 10AM East lansing time. Woot!

Waiting was definitely the hardest part. Very Happy.

Edit: I can finally join the Facebook Group!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Accepted!! Canadian!

II October 21. Accepted 11 AM.

Woooooo!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewed on Oct. 21st and got the acceptance call today!! Did my undergrad at MSU and am looking forward to be a Spartan again! Pretty much blacked out when I was on the phone because I was so excited. Do they send you an email to confirm what the next steps are?

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on Oct. 21st and got the acceptance call today!! Did my undergrad at MSU and am looking forward to be a Spartan again! Pretty much blacked out when I was on the phone because I was so excited. Do they send you an email to confirm what the next steps are?
Hey Spartan,

I was told we would get an email by the end of the day.

They sent me an email the next day.

Anyone know what we need to do to successfully matriculate (in terms of outstanding academics). Is it just getting a 2.0 in any remaining prerequisites and graduating with a degree or is there more too it ? (maintaining a certain GPA in the remaining classes?). I looked through my offer tab thingy and couldn't find any answers :/ .. I was accepted yesterday, but in all the excitement I forgot to ask the person who called.

Last edited:
Yo fam do we need to submit the deposit in order to hold a seat at a location? I'm choosing east lansing for sure do I need to be freaking out about losing a seat there?

Yo fam do we need to submit the deposit in order to hold a seat at a location? I'm choosing east lansing for sure do I need to be freaking out about losing a seat there?

They have 200 seats at EL so I don't think you have to worry. They said if you wanted a seat at DMC you should submit your deposit asap.

Can someone send me the link to the Facebook group?? :)

I just formally withdrew my acceptance here. I hope one of you guys out there still waiting gets the seat. Best of luck to you all!

In-state. 3.7/3.7/504. I went to a certain school that may or may not have a rivalry with MSU.

Also, being accepted reminds me I have not taken a biochemistry course and would need to do that before beginning if I decide on MSU. I don't even know where I would do that :dead:

Congrats! Where else did you get accepted

II today 3.2 undergrad, 3.7 science masters, 505, good ECs, IS. Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone have a link to match list information for MSUCOM?

OOS Just accepted today!!!!!!! We have until Jan. to pay the deposit, does anyone know if our campus choice will go through even if we wait to pay the deposit? I don't get paid for another two weeks.
You have to pay to pick your site

II today 3.2 undergrad, 3.7 science masters, 505, good ECs, IS. Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone have a link to match list information for MSUCOM?

Google --> MSUCOM Match list ----> use eyes to find best matching result

When were you complete?

Interviewed 10/21. Accepted this morning at 10:00 a.m. via phone call. Still in shock. Will be choosing DMC. LizzyM score 61. Stoked to be a sparty!!!

What are the pros and cons of East Lansing vs Detroit?
I know they talked about it but anything else that I should know?

What are the pros and cons of East Lansing vs Detroit?
I know they talked about it but anything else that I should know?
Atmosphere, class size, newness of facilities, overall feel etc.

We are all in the same classes at the same time so there is no difference there. It comes down to you and what you want your life to be like in school/out of school.

Thanks. I was also accepted at Marian. Lots of things to consider so the decision isn't automatic for me.

R u IS? MSU is probably the best DO school in terms of funding and affiliations. Tough to beat IMO. I happened to receive an II at Marian yesterday and won't be attending since I'm accepted here.