Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello fellow Spartans,

I've been google searching if class lectures are mandatory (or a mixture of both), but I am coming across conflicting sources. Could someone confirm if all classes are mandatory (and if you use iclickers).

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow Spartans,

I've been google searching if class lectures are mandatory (or a mixture of both), but I am coming across conflicting sources. Could someone confirm if all classes are mandatory (and if you use iclickers).

Thanks in advance.
Some of the medical students at my interview said that its up to the professors and some of them have only in class quizes and stuff. So yeah you have to be there.

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted yesterday! Canadian!! 3.6 non science and 3.9 science, 511 MCAT.

Going to medical school woooot!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. Canadian.
Interviewed Oct 21.

I could be a doctor if I accepted. Cool.

Did any Canadian get an e-mail saying we have to show $87k financial proof for I-20?
Congrats! Yes, I did get that financial proof email as well. Im Canadian and I just got accepted yesterday!!

Interviewed on Oct. 21st and got the acceptance call today!! Did my undergrad at MSU and am looking forward to be a Spartan again! Pretty much blacked out when I was on the phone because I was so excited. Do they send you an email to confirm what the next steps are?
OMG so funny, I'm sure they are used to this. I started crying. lol

Okay, just a heads up for the 2017 cycle, when should I apply? I'm planning to retake my MCAT in March and I want to get my primary application done in the first few days. And also, I have a 3.5, worked in a nursing home for 2.5 years, pharmacy technician for about a year, some shadow and less than <100 volunteer hours, what would be my chances if I score at least a 505 on the MCAT???? THANK you!!!!!
Hi Madhause,
I think it's always best to apply as early as possible. Don't rush the MCAT though, you want to also do as well as you can on that. I don't think there is a cold hard MCAT score that will get you in. I really like that this school genuinely views your application holistically. I think the key is showing that you are dedicated to pursuing this profession as demonstrated through clinical, shadowing and volunteer work that you do, and of course having a great MCAT score doesn't hurt. Don't give up, if practicing medicine is what you're passionate about, and you are relentless in your pursuit of that dream, you will get in.

R u IS? MSU is probably the best DO school in terms of funding and affiliations. Tough to beat IMO. I happened to receive an II at Marian yesterday and won't be attending since I'm accepted here.
I certainly give the edge to MSU for these things. The more I think about it, the more I like the established school. Was looking at the scholarship offerings for MSU and there's like an encyclopedia of them. When I checked for Marian it basically said "you should go find places that have scholarships because we don't". I'm not expecting scholarships to be a huge part of my tuition or anything but the difference alone speaks. I think I just need to get my wife on-board with the location because Indianapolis is pretty nice while East Lansing is...uhh...a place.

Hello fellow Spartans,

Thanks in advance.
We use iClickers.....the vast majority of classes are not mandatory.

Source: Me, current student

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hello fellow Spartans,

Thanks in advance.
most classes are not mandatory but OMM and our Cinical classes are so usually 2 classes a week some times more. Yes iclickers are used but not all the time

Hi everyone! Late to the game but just got accepted on Friday got called at 11am! I interviewed on 10/21. I am an in-state student I am 3.48/3.79/30 . I worked as a medical scribe in the ER and cofounded a student organization at my school. I am so excited to join the Sparty team!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today 3.2 undergrad, 3.7 science masters, 505, good ECs, IS. Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone have a link to match list information for MSUCOM?

Hi fellow Spartan,

Go to the MSUCOM website and go to the Why MSUCOM page. There will be several links on their page but click the one that talks about match on the column of links on the right.

Gives acgme aoa and canadian matches.

Hello, I have some questions that may best be answered by @DrPatriot , or any other current MSUCOM student.

What advantages, if any, do DMC students have over East Lansing students, purely related to clinical rotations in the 3rd/4th year, and also with eventually getting placed in a residency position in the Detroit region? Everyone keeps saying the Detroit students get "integrated into the DMC", but what exactly does this mean? Aren't the first two years mainly classroom materials/lectures anyways?

Lets hypothetically say there are 4 residency programs in the Detroit region for OBGYN, and only 1 in the Lansing area. Would being at the DMC campus give a student an advantage of eventually obtaining one of these residency programs in the Detroit region, versus a student who is at the EL campus?

Thanks for your time!

II today 3.2 undergrad, 3.7 science masters, 505, good ECs, IS. Sorry if this has already been posted but does anyone have a link to match list information for MSUCOM?
Congrats! mind sharing when you were complete?

Hello, I have some questions that may best be answered by @DrPatriot , or any other current MSUCOM student.

What advantages, if any, do DMC students have over East Lansing students, purely related to clinical rotations in the 3rd/4th year, and also with eventually getting placed in a residency position in the Detroit region? Everyone keeps saying the Detroit students get "integrated into the DMC", but what exactly does this mean? Aren't the first two years mainly classroom materials/lectures anyways?

Lets hypothetically say there are 4 residency programs in the Detroit region for OBGYN, and only 1 in the Lansing area. Would being at the DMC campus give a student an advantage of eventually obtaining one of these residency programs in the Detroit region, versus a student who is at the EL campus?

Thanks for your time!

I don't know where you heard this but they don't get integrated into the dmc. Maybe they might have chances of shadowing there because they may pass some doctors on the way in and they strike up conversation. But where you go your first two years does not affect where you will go for clerkship. I had an opportunity to go to all three sites and I chose to go to Macomb because it's closer to home and there was more commodities around me.You should rank your sites by criteria. Living expenses, parking, research opportunities, social life. If you want to do research you're better off and going to East Lansing. I go to Macomb and I have research here as well but it is harder to get. If you want a social life like going to the football games and going out to the bars after the exam you're better off in East Lansing. If you live near one of the sites and you can commute there do it because you'll be saving a ton of money living at home. Also take into consideration the fact that you do have to pay for parking most places except Macomb. Also think about the availability of stuff like grocery stores , gyms and other stuff you like to do like bowling or whatever. And if you missed all that completely and you looking for your interest though where you go the first few years does not affect where you will end up in clerkship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for your time!
Don't know where you heard that quote....

Pretty much Dr. Jekyll covered this but the site you attend has no bearing on where you end up after.

It comes down to the atmosphere and learning environment you are looking for. Each site is going to be a better fit for different people (obviously Detroit is the best ).

Don't know where you heard that quote....

Pretty much Dr. Jekyll covered this but the site you attend has no bearing on where you end up after.

It comes down to the atmosphere and learning environment you are looking for. Each site is going to be a better fit for different people (obviously Detroit is the best ).
ha im not sure about that but one thing i will say is tour all of the sites ! Its under rated idea but you get a feel for the campus to see if you fit in with the type of people there.

@Dr.Jekyll75 @DrPatriot thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Although I would love to attend the Detroit campus, I think the EL site would be best for me as it would by far be the cheapest, given I live so close and can commute. Thanks again!

@Dr.Jekyll75 @DrPatriot thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. Although I would love to attend the Detroit campus, I think the EL site would be best for me as it would by far be the cheapest, given I live so close and can commute. Thanks again!
Smart choice. Save the money where you can. I commute and I actually love it! Just invest in some Bose noise cancelling headphones.... totally worth it and you will thank me in a year.

Does anyone have an idea when deposit-paid students will receive their StuID and login info? I just want to get the ball rolling on my medical insurance waiver.

Does anyone have an idea when deposit-paid students will receive their StuID and login info? I just want to get the ball rolling on my medical insurance waiver.

It says on the accepted students' guide that we will receive them in March.

Hey guys! I just got accepted this morning at 11am! Freaked out when I got the call! I'm a Canadian applicant (4th year at McMaster), stats : CGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.47, MCAT 508, 2000+ hours experience in a clinical setting. Does anyone know when they send the acceptance email/what the next steps are for Canadian applicants? And if there is a Facebook group? AHHH I'm so excited :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! I just got accepted this morning at 11am! Freaked out when I got the call! I'm a Canadian applicant (4th year at McMaster), stats : CGPA 3.61, sGPA 3.47, MCAT 508, 2000+ hours experience in a clinical setting. Does anyone know when they send the acceptance email/what the next steps are for Canadian applicants? And if there is a Facebook group? AHHH I'm so excited :)
I will message you the fb link! CONGRATS!

The insurance waiver takes like 5mins online too.

OH haha I was under the impression I had to sift through my benefits and assure everything was met + prove it to MSU!
I did too until I actually got to it. It is more like check 5 boxes and you are done

Congrats! When did you interview?

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

It's Official, Canadian deposit paid! (East Lansing then Detroit)

Looking forward to learning Medicine together.

See y'all at the white coat ceremony and in Anatomy. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Declined admission today... hope the spot goes to one of you lovely people!

Sparty on future classmates:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Got the call while at the dentist and had to wait 2 hrs before they returned my return phone call from their original voicemail. Pretty classy for them to give ya a call and actually speak to you before they deliver the news.
Congrats! LOL. . .They did the same thing with me - left a voicemail requesting I call them back. :happy:

Interview was 10/18 and I got the call today around 1:30. Honestly the waiting game is so tough, just keep hanging in there!

Stats: 3.54/3.55/509
Congrats! I'm so happy to see another person from my interview date get accepted. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I can take the one prereq I'm missing through an "alumni enrichment program" at the university I graduated from for a hugely reduced cost...the only catch is that it would be pass/fail. :bang:

I can take the one prereq I'm missing through an "alumni enrichment program" at the university I graduated from for a hugely reduced cost...the only catch is that it would be pass/fail. :bang:
What's wrong with that?

I don't know for sure but I did not find anything on SDN encouraging about taking pass/fail for a prereq. If prerequisites require a C/2.0 or better I'm doubtful it will be acceptable. I left a message with admissions today though so I'll see what they say. Saving $1500 would be great.

Just got an II for either December 2 or like January

Do u think I'd be disadvantagedby choosing January? Does MSU aim to fill its class by the end of this year?

Just got an II for either December 2 or like January

Do u think I'd be disadvantagedby choosing January? Does MSU aim to fill its class by the end of this year?

This was posted in last years cycle in January

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5367
Applicants Interviewed: 497
Seat Deposits Paid: 260 (includes Canadian)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 24
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/506
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

IMHO if you really want to ensure you have a seat for the school then go in December. If you already have several interviews or seats and MSU is not at the top of your list then January will work.

Since you're already accepted I wouldn't think it matters. At this point, I'd say MSUCOM just wants you to have it completed before matriculation. But if you want to be 100% sure just call them and explain your situation!

I don't know for sure but I did not find anything on SDN encouraging about taking pass/fail for a prereq. If prerequisites require a C/2.0 or better I'm doubtful it will be acceptable. I left a message with admissions today though so I'll see what they say. Saving $1500 would be great.

So I called and asked about this myself earlier and it appears you still need a 2.0 in all prereq to matriculate.

I just got an II!!!! I am shocked right now, I thought the MSUCOM ship had sailed... The email said Dec. 2 and Jan. 12 were available, but when I logged onto my portal 3 minutes later only January 12 was :/ I hope I still have a good shot with interviewing in January! I'm so pumped!!!!

Reactions: 7 users
II OH MY GOSH IM SO EXCITED LITERALLY SHAKING WITH HAPPINESS, DEC 2ND WAS TAKEN FOR ME TOO BUT I DONT CARE I GOT AN II WEEEEEEE

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users