Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II right now!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II!!!! IS, complete 10/12

SEE Y'ALL ON JAN 12!!!

Reactions: 5 users
II interview this morning. I had to schedule for 2/2. Will this hurt my chances of getting in?

Reactions: 1 user
II interview this morning. I had to schedule for 2/2. Will this hurt my chances of getting in?
I guess conventional wisdom is the sooner the better. The sooner you interview, the more spots they have open.

II today but I have declined. Complete 7/19. Canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I just accepted my offer and chose East Lansing as number one for site selection. See you all in June! I'm so excited! :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
So I called and asked about this myself earlier and it appears you still need a 2.0 in all prereq to matriculate.
Psht, as if I wanted to save $1500 anyways. +pity+

I got a call at about 8:45 this morning saying I need to send an email instead of calling so I did. Haven't heard back yet but I doubt I would get different information than you did.

guys I am super pumped for this interview lol lets goooooo!!!!!!!!!! this is going to be a horrible ~6 weeks

guys I am super pumped for this interview lol lets goooooo!!!!!!!!!! this is going to be a horrible ~6 weeks

Me too!! Lol plenty of time to figure out this whole MMI thing though, definitely gonna do some reading as I have no idea what to expect

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Fellow Canadian here, received II yesterday morning. (3.54/3.49, 513)

They told me Jan 15 or Dec 2nd was available, but when I logged into the portal only Feb 2nd showed up. Does that mean the interview slots are full already for the other two dates?

Cheers!

Fellow Canadian here, received II yesterday morning. (3.54/3.49, 513)

They told me Jan 15 or Dec 2nd was available, but when I logged into the portal only Feb 2nd showed up. Does that mean the interview slots are full already for the other two dates?

Cheers!

Hello, Fellow Canadian here as well! I believe that is what it means :(. Maybe you could sign up for Feb, but also call them if its possible to have your date changed to an earlier one if someone cancels.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving all (including Canadians, although we're a little late)

After much deliberation, I'm going to be accepting my seat here :)

Reactions: 5 users
YESSS!!!! Rooting for you man!!! Haha this is what we've been waiting for :)

P.S. I don't have an II here, but you know where I got one for that's similar. :p

Heck yeah man!!!!!! We've got a lot to be thankful for this thanksgiving!

Heck yeah man!!!!!! We've got a lot to be thankful for this thanksgiving!

YESSS!!!! Rooting for you man!!! Haha this is what we've been waiting for :)

P.S. I don't have an II here, but you know where I got one for that's similar. :p

Im rooting for you both, your fervor is infectious!

Wish you both well :)

Me too!! Lol plenty of time to figure out this whole MMI thing though, definitely gonna do some reading as I have no idea what to expect

Definitely read up and prepare for them! I wish I did that earlier in the season lol

I've been stalking this thread for so long lol and am finally making a post:). Interviewed on 11/16 still waiting to hear back! 3.76s/3.82c/504 MCAT

Congrats to everyone who just received IIs. Don't worry too much about the MMI, everyone says it, but just relax and be yourself! Helpful to look at some possible questions and get used to talking for 6 minutes, but again, don't stress too much about it. The interview day is low key and pretty fun!

Wishing you all the best!!

I've been stalking this thread for so long lol and am finally making a post:). Interviewed on 11/16 still waiting to hear back! 3.76s/3.82c/504 MCAT

Congrats to everyone who just received IIs. Don't worry too much about the MMI, everyone says it, but just relax and be yourself! Helpful to look at some possible questions and get used to talking for 6 minutes, but again, don't stress too much about it. The interview day is low key and pretty fun!

Wishing you all the best!!
are you in state? im still waiting for an II but chances seem slim at this time :(

This question is for the current students.

Do you need to own a car if you live nearby? Do you need a car for clerkship or preceptor?

Thanks for the wisdom

are you in state? im still waiting for an II but chances seem slim at this time :(

Yep, I'm IS, grew up 10 minutes from campus! There is still time for IIs though! I was really late to the game, didn't complete my application until the end of October, and I'm very average. Don't give up hope!

This question is for the current students.

Do you need to own a car if you live nearby? Do you need a car for clerkship or preceptor?

Thanks for the wisdom

No but for preceptorship and clerkship you will

Reactions: 1 users
If I make a change in the admission offer tab after I've already accepted and paid the deposit, do you guys know if the changes will go through?

Are any other Canadians concerned about the debt? The tuition is pretty high and made worse by the horrendous exchange rate. Just thinking about it makes me physically nauseous. This is making me hesitant about accepting the offer. IDK. What do other Canadians think? How are you guys so comfortable with the debt?

Are any other Canadians concerned about the debt? The tuition is pretty high and made worse by the horrendous exchange rate. Just thinking about it makes me physically nauseous. This is making me hesitant about accepting the offer. IDK. What do other Canadians think? How are you guys so comfortable with the debt?

Hey! I honestly don't think any of us Canadians are comfortable with the amount of debt we'll incur by attending MSUCOM. That being said, what makes me less concerned is knowing that if I let this opportunity slide, I might regret it for the rest of my life. I know that I will be achieving my dream by going to MSUCOM and that's much more valuable to me than a few extra years of paying off medical school loans. But that's just my take on it. I hope I eased your worries somewhat!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! I honestly don't think any of us Canadians are comfortable with the amount of debt we'll incur by attending MSUCOM. That being said, what makes me less concerned is knowing that if I let this opportunity slide, I might regret it for the rest of my life. I know that I will be achieving my dream by going to MSUCOM and that's much more valuable to me than a few extra years of paying off medical school loans. But that's just my take on it. I hope I eased your worries somewhat!

This post is number 1337.

IMO MSU's Canadian tuition is somewhat in-line with other Canadian Friendly Schools. I believe after scholarship the four year cost of attendance is 220k USD (just tuition). There are also a few schools more expensive for Canadians, such as the Midwestern University schools.

Last edited:

IMO MSU's Canadian tuition is somewhat in-line with other Canadian Friendly Schools. I believe after scholarship the four year cost of attendance is 220k USD (just tuition). There are also a few schools more expensive for Canadians, such as the Midwestern University schools.

You're being offered an opportunity at a school that is well known. There are people who would kill to be in your shoes. If you think the price is expensive and you don't think it's worth it then maybe the Caribbean is a better choice because from my understanding they are a little bit cheaper but just remember at the end of the day you have a better chance of matching as a DO in than Caribbean grad. Does the debt suck? No doubt but you got to play with the cards you were dealt this remember to be thankful for every opportunity again because others are not as fortunate. We have people at our campus who are from Canada and they do not regret coming to MSU even though the debt sucks they know it's worth it and I hope you do too.

By my math its closer to 240k USD but your point is still valid! Tuition is going to be a bitter pill to swallow...But its a small price to pay to live out your dreams... or at least thats how i'm going to rationalize it. :shrug:

By my math its closer to 240k USD but your point is still valid! Tuition is going to be bitter pill to swallow...But its a small price to pay to live out your dreams... or at least thats how i'm going to rationalize it. :shrug:

I believe that average with what most people graduate even if they are US citizens

You're being offered an opportunity at a school that is well known. There are people who would kill to be in your shoes. If you think the price is expensive and you don't think it's worth it then maybe the Caribbean is a better choice because from my understanding they are a little bit cheaper but just remember at the end of the day you have a better chance of matching as a DO in than Caribbean grad. Does the debt suck? No doubt but you got to play with the cards you were dealt this remember to be thankful for every opportunity again because others are not as fortunate. We have people at our campus who are from Canada and they do not regret coming to MSU even though the debt sucks they know it's worth it and I hope you do too.

I definitely agree! Already paid my seat deposit to MSU last week and I am psyched to go this June (EL campus!:))! There aren't many D.O. schools that have the resources and opportunities that MSU offers.

I definitely agree! Already paid my seat deposit to MSU last week and I am psyched to go this June (EL campus!:))! There aren't many D.O. schools that have the resources and opportunities that MSU offers.

MSU is a brand name degree. It's recognized worldwide. When people thing MSU Med they think MSUCOM not MSUCHM. In unrelated news we are the only medical school that's allowed in Cuba....

Reactions: 3 users
Ya the opportunity to study medicine is great but when you calculate the numbers it's painful.

60K tuition + 20K living expenses = 80K USD/year
Comes to around 320k USD for all 4 years.

With 1:1.3 USD:CAD ratio it's around 430K CAD.

I'm not thinking about Caribbean, I'm just making sure I realize the expense before I accept.

Attachments

• Screenshot at Nov 26 12-24-59.png
    Screenshot at Nov 26 12-24-59.png
    148.4 KB · Views: 56
Can someone explain how financial aid works in grad school? Is basically everyone given the full allotted budget? I realize it's not need based but still I'm kinda confused. Do we get like a checkbook or something lololol.

Also, do our undergrad loans defer while in med school?

Can someone explain how financial aid works in grad school? Is basically everyone given the full allotted budget? I realize it's not need based but still I'm kinda confused. Do we get like a checkbook or something lololol.

You can choose to accept the full amount, which includes tuition plus COL. When MSU office of financial aid releases your loans, the tuition will get paid/clear and then the over flow will either be mailed to you in a check or directly deposited into your account that you link to the financial aid's office. So you would use your normal checkbook from that account!

And yes, they defer! MSU tells the fed you're in school and you'll get an email your loans are deferred. You don't have to do anything.