Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone explain how financial aid works in grad school? Is basically everyone given the full allotted budget? I realize it's not need based but still I'm kinda confused. Do we get like a checkbook or something lololol.

Also, do our undergrad loans defer while in med school?
Also, you can choose to accept the full amount on their online portal I'm sure. So if you only want to take out tuition and nothing more, you can choose to only accept that amount.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Relating to tuition.... In the next 5 months I'm going to be finishing off my undergraduate loan, paying my deposits, and paying off the wife's loan too. I will be debt free for a total of about 1 month. :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
Also, you can choose to accept the full amount on their online portal I'm sure. So if you only want to take out tuition and nothing more, you can choose to only accept that amount.

I love you

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here 11/16 and am anxious to hear back haha. How long did it take for them to get back to you? And at what day/time do they usually call you?!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed here 11/16 and am anxious to hear back haha. How long did it take for them to get back to you? And at what day/time do they usually call you?!

You can hear back anywhere from the next day after the interview up until 30 days after your interview. They call anytime between 8AM-6PM, normally on a day Monday-Friday. Note, the amount of time they take to call you has no significance, you simply either get a reviewer that is fast or one who likes to procrastinate. If it helps, they called me 29 days after my interview at 11:00AM on a Thursday. You just gotta wait, it sucks. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users

I was on 11/9 so hop on the train. We'll fight through the anxiety and anguish together. Really hoping I get a call this week

Oh, just in case anyone else needs to know this now or in the future:

MSU DOES accept pass/fail for prerequisites. They equate a "pass" to a 2.0 or C. Probably not a brilliant idea if you're applying afterwards or have a lower end GPA, but for an accepted student they said it's fine to take a course like this. 3 credit biochemistry course at my alma mater = $200. NICE.

Last edited:
II JUST NOW!! AHHHHHHH all those months of anxiety-inducing waiting were all worth it now! IS, complete on 9/7.

Reactions: 11 users
I interviewed 11/16 and have not heard back yet either. I'm hoping we both hear back soon! I'm sure Thanksgiving being the week after our interview did not help haha

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an II too! ahh this was much awaited!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats! It must feel good after waiting!
Stats and complete date? Just curious.
I was complete 9-19! Feel free to message me for my stats. They're kind of weird and super identifiable.

Last edited:
Kind of depressing that on last years thread there was only one II given out in the sdn community from this time to the end of the cycle. Really wanted a shot at this school:/

My anxiety is up the roof. I interviewed on Nov.9 and I've heard nothing so far, ugh! I haven't checked this thread since 2 weeks ago because I don't really want to add to my anguish...

Complete 2ndry today

My anxiety is up the roof. I interviewed on Nov.9 and I've heard nothing so far, ugh! I haven't checked this thread since 2 weeks ago because I don't really want to add to my anguish...

Right there with you. Was hoping for last week but I guess it's this week or never. Friday will be 30 days..

I interviewed here at Nov.9 , Interviewed at Wayne two weeks AFTER. Got my acceptance at WSU SOM on Friday, and still have heard nothing from MSUCOM...

If I am offered admission at MSUCOM, I'll be declining it... and hope it'll go to one of you fine people.

Submitted Primary on Nov 30th (Day before their deadline...lol) received secondary today (Dec. 5th)...will submit by Friday.
Hopefully I get selected for an interview!!

I interviewed here at Nov.9 , Interviewed at Wayne two weeks AFTER. Got my acceptance at WSU SOM on Friday, and still have heard nothing from MSUCOM...

If I am offered admission at MSUCOM, I'll be declining it... and hope it'll go to one of you fine people.

Congrats. This is probably the wrong place, but can you post or pm your stats and when you finished your secondaries for Wayne?

I just declined my II and withdrew my application so hopefully one of you guys gets the spot soon!

accepted :D, interviewed nov 9th

Reactions: 12 users
Got accepted here! I'll be declining the offer since I got in at WSU SOM.

Good luck to all who are still waiting/waitlisted.

Got accepted here! I'll be declining the offer since I got in at WSU SOM.

Good luck to all who are still waiting/waitlisted.

Congratulations! That's so exciting :highfive:

Did MSU call you today or yesterday?

For the 2 x 2 photo, would a headshot from my graduation photos be deemed appropriate? Has anyone else done this?

For the 2 x 2 photo, would a headshot from my graduation photos be deemed appropriate? Has anyone else done this?
Sure, that's fine. Really the photos are just used to remind people of who you are (e.g., when interviewers are evaluating you they have your photo as a reminder). As long as they're not silly or inappropriate photos, just use a recent, somewhat professional photo that looks like you!

Accepted!!! First acceptance Ima be a doctor boi!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the call this morning! Stoked to be attending medical school next year:D

Reactions: 3 users
Just paid my seat deposit! Is a certain percentage factored into our tuition cost? At another school I received an acceptance from it was fully applied but I didn't see a concrete answer for MSU.

Just paid my seat deposit! Is a certain percentage factored into our tuition cost? At another school I received an acceptance from it was fully applied but I didn't see a concrete answer for MSU.
From what I understood I think all of it is applied?

Did they send you guys an email describing the next steps or even saying you were accepted. I just got a call this morning, but no email...

Alright wth is going on? I did not hear anything. How do we know if we are on the waitlist or got the scary R card?

Alright wth is going on? I did not hear anything. How do we know if we are on the waitlist or got the scary R card?

If it means anything, I received my acceptance a day or two after other people in the same interview day got their acceptance. Some Admin people are faster than others. Im Canadian.

Do only accepted students receive phone calls? Or do students on waitlist receive them as well? I noticed in the forum that some waitlisted students received only emails.

Any other DO-PhD applicants? I was accepted into the DO program in October and will be interviewing for the PhD program in January.

Do only accepted students receive phone calls? Or do students on waitlist receive them as well? I noticed in the forum that some waitlisted students received only emails.

Yes, accepted = phone call
waitlist = email
they'll tell you what tier of the waitlist you're being offered in the email as well