Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol I've been complete since Dec 12th, Canadian applicant 3.4 GPA (3.95 last 2 years), 508 MCAT.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Just got haircut and everything, driving up tomorrow morning for PM interview. Cant wait to see those I have met both on here and on the interview trail ;)

Reactions: 1 user
See you there!!

Question for people who've already interviewed in the afternoon session: should we make sure we eat lunch beforehand or do they have snacks? Sorry if this is redundant I just couldn't find info about it on the portal under the interview tab.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See you there!!

Question for people who've already interviewed in the afternoon session: should we make sure we eat lunch beforehand or do they have snacks? Sorry if this is redundant I just couldn't find info about it on the portal under the interview tab.
I would eat lunch!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how many spots are left at each site??

Accepted students: how quickly did you hear back post-interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If anybody here accepted from Canada AND has been approved for the academic loan (275k) from CIBC, can you please message me? My loan application has been declined because, according to CIBC, beginning from June 2016, they no longer approve the DO program for loans. Although, I am absolutely sure it is being confused with the kind of "osteopathy" that we have in Canada, which is basically similar to naturopathy.

If anybody here accepted from Canada AND has been approved for the academic loan (275k) from CIBC, can you please message me? My loan application has been declined because, according to CIBC, beginning from June 2016, they no longer approve the DO program for loans. Although, I am absolutely sure it is being confused with the kind of "osteopathy" that we have in Canada, which is basically similar to naturopathy.
Try TD. They are still processing my application but my TD advisor found MSUCOM in their database of approved programs to give loans for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I thought that's what you asked for lol?
I meant like a second look day where you can bring someone and try on a white coat and stuff. I confirmed with a current student it'll be sometime in March!

Finally finished from the AM interview session good luck to anyone else who was with me!

Hey! I'm with RBC and they approve a $150 000.00 loan for MD/DO Canadian citizens studying in the US! Look into it! They're still processing my application but they said everything looks good.

The interview was very interesting to say the least! Overall fun day, was very nervous and stressed going in tho haha

Reactions: 5 users
Shout out to the boys in blue. You know who you are

The interview was very interesting to say the least! Overall fun day, was very nervous and stressed going in tho haha

Same. And now that it's over, I can't help but be extremely self-critical of all my responses at each station. Super anxious for a decision.

Reactions: 4 users
Same. And now that it's over, I can't help but be extremely self-critical of all my responses at each station. Super anxious for a decision.
Ugh, I know. All the "I wish I said this...", "Or, hmm, maybe I didn't iterate that well..."

Nevertheless, good luck to everyone! The one thing that was so amazing after today's interview experience is how you instantly feel like a family. I know my group (AM blue!!!!) was already pretty tight-knit. And I actually thought interviews were a blast, but I wouldn't have expected any different from MSU. Their interview 100% reflects who they are as an institution; I say that as a very positive thing.

Btw, EspressoDrip42 this: "Medicine is my lawful wife and literature my mistress; when I get tired of one, I spend the night with the other ~ Anton Chekhov" is pure GOLD!

Reactions: 6 users
Ugh, I know. All the "I wish I said this...", "Or, hmm, maybe I didn't iterate that well..."

Nevertheless, good luck to everyone! The one thing that was so amazing after today's interview experience is how you instantly feel like a family. I know my group (AM blue!!!!) was already pretty tight-knit. And I actually thought interviews were a blast, but I wouldn't have expected any different from MSU. Their interview 100% reflects who they are as an institution; I say that as a very positive thing.

Btw, EspressoDrip42 this: "Medicine is my lawful wife and literature my mistress; when I get tired of one, I spend the night with the other ~ Anton Chekhov" is pure GOLD!

Agreed! Very friendly bunch in the PM group as well as all the staff and 1st year students. And @zdanchev ... I'm not sure where I even found that quote, but it's always been one of my favorites.

does MSU call you if you got accepted only or they also call for rejections or waitlist? Thank you for any help

does MSU call you if you got accepted only or they also call for rejections or waitlist? Thank you for any help

Dr. Ruger mentioned yesterday that upon acceptance, you will get a call, email, portal update, and a letter in the mail.

I assume for rejections you will get all four of those except a call. But she didn't mention that specifically.

LOL I totally agree with this! I instantly bonded with the people in my interview group and it made me so happy to see some of them on the facebook group! We made it!

Omg I was AM blue too

Dr. Ruger mentioned that the DMC location is just about full, but she did not have accurate numbers about each site.

Dr. Ruger mentioned that the DMC location is just about full, but she did not have accurate numbers about each site.
I'm surprised they haven't sent out update e-mails with stats and spot numbers; I thought those typically started in December. I suppose they may not do them this year... though it is/was a nice thing COM did!

I'm surprised they haven't sent out update e-mails with stats and spot numbers; I thought those typically started in December. I suppose they may not do them this year... though it is/was a nice thing COM did!

Yea I was hoping they did because I heard they did but oh well

Hi everyone!
I was just wondering if there were a lot of Canadians in your group when you interviewed. Personally, I was surprised by how many Canadians there were during my session; there were about 7 including myself (I interviewed in the PM Thurs group)
I'm just asking this because I know only 20-25 Canadians are accepted and so, would like to know where I stand with this school.
Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

BTW I was in the blue group as well:)

Hi everyone!
I was just wondering if there were a lot of Canadians in your group when you interviewed. Personally, I was surprised by how many Canadians there were during my session; there were about 7 including myself (I interviewed in the PM Thurs group)
I'm just asking this because I know only 20-25 Canadians are accepted and so, would like to know where I stand with this school.
Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

BTW I was in the blue group as well:)

Hey! Hey! Blue group here as well for the Thurs PM interview! I was genuinely surprised by how many Canadian applicants there were! I mean, if I remember correctly, there weren't any actual "out of state" students, just MI-residents and Canadian students. I wonder, are there tuition incentives for Canadian students? Or is it the same ridiculously expensive out of state tuition?

That doesn't sound right.. my friend was accepted in September and went to CIBC for a loan. They found MSUCOM in their database. She visited almost every bank and all of them know med school loan = DO and MD. They were probably thinking of a naturopathy/ homeopathy sort of thing.

p.s. she still hasn't got a loan because she has problems with getting a co-signer, but still...

anyone has a link to the rotations MSU students do during third year? 1) is there an OMM rotation? 2) are there elective rotations during third year? Thank you for any help!

anyone has a link to the rotations MSU students do during third year? 1) is there an OMM rotation? 2) are there elective rotations during third year? Thank you for any help!
http://com.msu.edu/AP/clerkship_pro...ulum/c3_r2_clerkship_program_requirements.htm
Basically:
12 weeks internal medicine
8 weeks family medicine
4 weeks pediatrics
4 weeks neurology
4 weeks emergency
4 weeks gen surgery
4 weeks ob/gyn
4 weeks psych
2 weeks rads
2 weeks anesthesiology

1) Yes and no. No, there is not a required OMM rotation. However, you can do an elective neuromuscular medicine (OMM) rotation at five or so sites in the state.
2) This depends on when your required rotations are scheduled. I ended up with two months I needed to fill during my third year as there was a gap between some of my required rotations. Typically, the majority of your third year will be scheduled for you and elective rotations will be the majority of your fourth year.

Hope that helps! Happy to clarify anything that wasn't clear.

Straight quote from the survival guide document emailed to incoming Canadians:

"There is no issue getting loans as a DO Medical student (vs MD) because all DO
schools are listed on Avicenna directory; an international directory of accredited
medical schools compiled by the World Health Organization. This is the site that
the bank will reference when deciding whether your school allows you to qualify
for a loan. It will be helpful to contact a financial advisor who has previous
experience of dealing with DO students."

Interviewed 1/12 AM!!! I really want to send a thank-you letter but I don't know to whom. For all who have sent a letter, did you send it to general admissions email or just personal emails to some admissions folks??

Interviewed 1/12 AM!!! I really want to send a thank-you letter but I don't know to whom. For all who have sent a letter, did you send it to general admissions email or just personal emails to some admissions folks??
I would send it to general admissions, though it'll get shared with staff and interviewers regardless of exactly where you send it. :)

JUST GOT THE CALL ACCEPTED OH MY GOSH IM IN DISBELIEF NEVER EXPECTED TO HEAR BACK THIS SOON WEEEEEEEEEE :)

Reactions: 18 users
JUST GOT THE CALL ACCEPTED OH MY GOSH IM IN DISBELIEF NEVER EXPECTED TO HEAR BACK THIS SOON WEEEEEEEEEE :)

SAME!!! Got the call this morning around 11:15!! Interviewed 1/12 so it caught me completely off guard! IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR AHHHH

Edit: IS, complete 10/12, II: 11/23, interview 1/12. LizzyM ~66

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi guys! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted this cycle!

I was wondering if this school accepted update letters? If so, who would I send it to?

I've been complete since August and have yet to hear back. :( I'd love to be able to send them an update if possible!

Hi guys! Congrats to all of you who have been accepted this cycle!

I was wondering if this school accepted update letters? If so, who would I send it to?

I've been complete since August and have yet to hear back. :( I'd love to be able to send them an update if possible!

Yes, you can send an update letter through your MSUCOM portal.

Just got my acceptance call!!! She said she'll be making some more calls this afternoon so fingers crossed for y'all

Reactions: 3 users