Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have a tour of the family housing at 1855 place tomorrow. Brand new construction and being able to bike to class 1/2 of the year:love:

Leases would be July 1st-June 30th so my question is - where do I go to sublet for 2 weeks? :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

Have a tour of the family housing at 1855 place tomorrow. Brand new construction and being able to bike to class 1/2 of the year:love:

Leases would be July 1st-June 30th so my question is - where do I go to sublet for 2 weeks? :shrug:
Woah! What do you have to do to qualify for family housing? What's the building called?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the website, the class of 2021 can't use iPads or tablets. With that being the case would you just recommend we get newer laptops to deal with the software better?

http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2021/Computer Based Testing.htm

I would recommend getting a crappy laptop but you only use for the exam. It destroyed my HP and it was literally a year old so I had to get a new laptop and I put exam soft on my iPad and it's been OK since. That's weird that they are changing the testing mode and no longer allow tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Examsoft hasn't destroyed any of the laptops or devices of anyone I know in my class....That's the first I am hearing this. That's crazy! I take the exams on a Surface 4 and haven't had any issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

I don't believe anyone in our class has even had this issue. Wasn't 2019 the first class to do CBT? Maybe they got this bug worked out for us in 2020?

Went for a tour of 1855 place today. Definitely going to apply to live there...although I don't have a student ID so I can't seem to do that online.

When do we actually become "students" of MSU and receive things like an email, student ID, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
Is there any hope of getting an II this late? (Assuming IIs aren't already over). This was my number one school and I thought my stats were competitive here (3.7 511).
I second this question. Do we know when they stop giving out IIs? Thank you in advance for any info.

For any current MSUCOM students, is MSUCOM fun? Do you have time to enjoy the campus and the sort.

Hey future classmates, is anyone else looking for housing near the campus? Any suggestions where COM students mostly live?
I'm hoping to find a few roommates to live with next June:)
Yeah me to!

Has anyone been waitlisted and accepted yet? I interviewed all the way back in August

Thank you!

Does anyone know if MSUCOM has pass/fail or letter grades or something else?

Also, how much time does msucom give its students to study for the comlex and usmle? Thanks!

MSUCOM is Pass/Fail, but for each class you'll be given what your percentile is based on your total score. They'll release your percentiles for every class to residencies, but these scores dont really matter for DO residencies unless you're applying for radiology then they'll care about your anatomy score. Your Step 1 scores and audition rotations will be the big tickets to get your residency (as long as you don't have red flags like a red flag in your dean's letter or failures).

MSUCOM gives you about 2 months to study for comlex/usmle which is plenty of time. Do UWORLD and either combank/comquest twice over and memorize every word of First Aid and Savarese OMM green book

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM is Pass/Fail, but for each class you'll be given what your percentile is based on your total score. They'll release your percentiles for every class to residencies, but these scores dont really matter for DO residencies unless you're applying for radiology then they'll care about your anatomy score. Your Step 1 scores and audition rotations will be the big tickets to get your residency (as long as you don't have red flags like a red flag in your dean's letter or failures).

MSUCOM gives you about 2 months to study for comlex/usmle which is plenty of time. Do UWORLD and either combank/comquest twice over and memorize every word of First Aid and Savarese OMM green book

Ive been waiting for a response to this question. Thank you.

Got into PCOM and am waiting to hear back from a SUNY. Very likely won't be matriculating.

No problem! I just graduated MSUCOM this year and skipped the DO match for the MD match. Chose to go to the macomb campus which was wonderful. Hopefully the matches will be combined by the time you guys apply. MSUCOM is in my opinion the best DO school out there, given that most of the DO residencies are located in Michigan. When you start rotating at your base hospital you'll get a lot of great networking with the PDs. If a PD likes you, you're in! The majority of the students choose to stay at their base hospital for residency. It's not all about test scores either. As long as you pass or do average on step 1 you can get specialties like General Surgery or EM as long as your personality is liked among the residents and you show that you're hard-working and easy to get along with. Let me know if there are any questions about MSUCOM I'll be happy to answer them.

Reactions: 2 users
No problem! I just graduated MSUCOM this year and skipped the DO match for the MD match. Chose to go to the macomb campus which was wonderful. Hopefully the matches will be combined by the time you guys apply. MSUCOM is in my opinion the best DO school out there, given that most of the DO residencies are located in Michigan. When you start rotating at your base hospital you'll get a lot of great networking with the PDs. If a PD likes you, you're in! The majority of the students choose to stay at their base hospital for residency. It's not all about test scores either. As long as you pass or do average on step 1 you can get specialties like General Surgery or EM as long as your personality is liked among the residents and you show that you're hard-working and easy to get along with. Let me know if there are any questions about MSUCOM I'll be happy to answer them.
Is It fun being a student at MSUCOM? If I graduate from MSUCOM is it possible for me to find a job in a city like Denver or Seattle? Or wouldn't be very difficult as a DO?

Is It fun being a student at MSUCOM? If I graduate from MSUCOM is it possible for me to find a job in a city like Denver or Seattle? Or wouldn't be very difficult as a DO?

I had a lot of fun. I liked being at the Macomb campus where there were 50 people per class so it was a tight-knit group. Everyone went to lunch or the bar after the weekly exams and people formed study groups so we would spend several hours a day together. I can't speak for DMC or East Lansing, but I know Macomb campus was where classmates knew each other the most. If you graduate from MSUCOM you will most likely end up doing residency in Michigan. Unfortunately, it's difficult to match out of state especially in competitive areas like Denver or Seattle. Actually, new programs in Lone Star, CO opened up for family medicine, internal medicine and psychiatry at a hospital called Sky Ridge. My classmate is an FM resident there and he loves it. Jobwise, it depends on your specialty. If you specialize in high demand things like family med or psychiatry then you can find jobs anywhere you want. Just keep in mind that popular areas will have lower salaries compared to the cost of living because everyone wants to go there. For job searching, they'll care more about how much you're willing to work for how much pay, and your LORs. They probably care about the quality of your residency program over your medical school too.

I had a lot of fun. I liked being at the Macomb campus where there were 50 people per class so it was a tight-knit group. Everyone went to lunch or the bar after the weekly exams and people formed study groups so we would spend several hours a day together. I can't speak for DMC or East Lansing, but I know Macomb campus was where classmates knew each other the most. If you graduate from MSUCOM you will most likely end up doing residency in Michigan. Unfortunately, it's difficult to match out of state especially in competitive areas like Denver or Seattle. Actually, new programs in Lone Star, CO opened up for family medicine, internal medicine and psychiatry at a hospital called Sky Ridge. My classmate is an FM resident there and he loves it. Jobwise, it depends on your specialty. If you specialize in high demand things like family med or psychiatry then you can find jobs anywhere you want. Just keep in mind that popular areas will have lower salaries compared to the cost of living because everyone wants to go there. For job searching, they'll care more about how much you're willing to work for how much pay, and your LORs. They probably care about the quality of your residency program over your medical school too.

Kind of what @DrMeowMeow said. Residency will probably be in Michigan but I believe attending positions arent hard to come by unless in something ultra competitive. Like how many neurosurgeons does one hospital need? lol But several 4th year residents in the hospital I work at have gotten OOS jobs. One is going to Tennessee and one is going to Oregon. As long as you are qualified and perform well in residency, I don't think you should have too much of an issue

To echo the sentiment in the last few posts, the most popular states for residency are as follows (from Interview Presentation, most to least): Michigan, Florida, Arizona and California.

California sounds nice, but are they DO friendly? I have been accepted to MSUCOM and am thinking about pursuing anesthesiology, but it is really all up in the air as school hasn't started yet.

8 people matched into anesthesiology in 2016 and 25 in 2016. http://com.msu.edu/Students/Career_Guidance/MSUCOM AOA-NRMP specialty data.pdf I am not sure of the competition of california residencies.

California residencies are insanely competitive, don't count on it. Yes anesthesiology should be fine to get in Michigan. When I went through the MD match for psychiatry (less competitive than cali) I applied to Michigan residencies and California/Florida/Texas residencies. I got interviews at every Michigan residency including UM and none from Cali or florida. I had a great application and above average comlex scores (didn't take USMLE). But think about it, you'll have people from Western/Touro/Stanford and all the UCLA med schools competing for those residencies and most of them have probably spent their lives growing up there. There truly is demographic discrimination when programs select who to give a coveted interview invite to when they have 5 spots and 2000 apps. I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I wish someone gave me a wake-up call back when I was applying with inspiration and a twinkle in my eye. It's not impossible though, if you truly want to go to a cali residency that badly you should do audition rotations at DO-friendly programs (make sure some of their current residents are DOs) to show you're serious about going there. If you spend 4 weeks at a program and rock it, everyone loves you, then you're in for sure.

California residencies are insanely competitive, don't count on it. Yes anesthesiology should be fine to get in Michigan. When I went through the MD match for psychiatry (less competitive than cali) I applied to Michigan residencies and California/Florida/Texas residencies. I got interviews at every Michigan residency including UM and none from Cali or florida. I had a great application and above average comlex scores (didn't take USMLE). But think about it, you'll have people from Western/Touro/Stanford and all the UCLA med schools competing for those residencies and most of them have probably spent their lives growing up there. There truly is demographic discrimination when programs select who to give a coveted interview invite to when they have 5 spots and 2000 apps. I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I wish someone gave me a wake-up call back when I was applying with inspiration and a twinkle in my eye. It's not impossible though, if you truly want to go to a cali residency that badly you should do audition rotations at DO-friendly programs (make sure some of their current residents are DOs) to show you're serious about going there. If you spend 4 weeks at a program and rock it, everyone loves you, then you're in for sure.
soooooo are you a resident or an attending or student? :)

Just sent my declination e-mail to MSUCOM's admissions office, I hope it goes to someone waiting for an interview on this thread.

And best of luck to everybody interviewing the rest of the cycle!

Just sent my declination e-mail to MSUCOM's admissions office, I hope it goes to someone waiting for an interview on this thread.

And best of luck to everybody interviewing the rest of the cycle!
Sorry to hear that bud! congrats on finding a school you love though!

soooooo are you a resident or an attending or student? :)
She just gave a ton of advice about applying to residencies and mentioned she did the MD match and graduated from MSUCOM this year. She's obviously a resident.

She just gave a ton of advice about applying to residencies and mentioned she did the MD match and graduated from MSUCOM this year. She's obviously a resident.
No need for the backlash fam. It was just a question.. chill :)

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if the office of admissions is closed for the break? I've sent an e-mail to ask a question over 2 weeks ago and they haven't replied yet. I also visited their office yesterday around 4pm, but it was closed. If it is open, can anyone pm me a good number to contact them? Thanks a lot!

Does anyone know if the office of admissions is closed for the break? I've sent an e-mail to ask a question over 2 weeks ago and they haven't replied yet. I also visited their office yesterday around 4pm, but it was closed. If it is open, can anyone pm me a good number to contact them? Thanks a lot!

I believe they are closed until January 3rd.

We're on break until the 9th. I bet they are open the 3rd...Just a guess

Does anybody know if after an acceptance if you are still in school is there any minimum grade that must be maintained in all non-prerequisite classes to keep the offer of admission?

Does anybody know if after an acceptance if you are still in school is there any minimum grade that must be maintained in all non-prerequisite classes to keep the offer of admission?
I don't think there's an exact GPA, but to just not royally mess up (D's, failing classes, etc).

Has anyone who hasn't heard anything since completion tried calling admissions? I wanted to speak to someone, but the option for "check the status of my app" just says check the portal.

How do you know which campus you are on? as in east lansing or macomb or detroit?

ok I just figured that out haha. East lansing is my first choice, what has more of a college town feel Macomb or Detroit?

ok I just figured that out haha. East lansing is my first choice, what has more of a college town feel Macomb or Detroit?
Hmm. I actually won't have been to the Macomb location until later this month, but I don't expect there's much of a college town feel there... it's a pretty suburban area. The Detroit site is within the Detroit Medical Center. Again, not a "college town" feel right around the site though you could choose to live in some of the more fun areas of Detroit. East Lansing is really the place to go if you want a college feel.
...Though you can also potentially spend your 3rd/4th years in Ann Arbor if you want a real college town feel. ;)

for final transcripts do we sent them to AACOMAS or MSUCOM admissions office?

Hmm. I actually won't have been to the Macomb location until later this month, but I don't expect there's much of a college town feel there... it's a pretty suburban area. The Detroit site is within the Detroit Medical Center. Again, not a "college town" feel right around the site though you could choose to live in some of the more fun areas of Detroit. East Lansing is really the place to go if you want a college feel.
...Though you can also potentially spend your 3rd/4th years in Ann Arbor if you want a real college town feel. ;)
Ann Arbor is the BEST, isn't it? :happy:

How do you know which campus you are on? as in east lansing or macomb or detroit?

Also, they'll send you an email later this month letting you know which campus you've been assigned to. I emailed the school directly about my campus choice because of extenuating circumstances and they have already let me know my campus assignment. To anyone who needs to be at a specific campus because of extenuating reasons, send the admissions office an email. They're super understanding and accommodating. :)

I'd say Detroit.

Detroit is right near the Wayne State campus so there is a college feel to Midtown Detroit. Macomb is the suburbs but is located in Macomb community college.

Hey fam do we just need to complete all of the crap on our portal and submit our 1k to reserve our spot? Gotta do it by the 6th.

Hey fam do we just need to complete all of the crap on our portal and submit our 1k to reserve our spot? Gotta do it by the 6th.
Yup that's what you gotta do. Then you'll get an email confirmation a few days after that saying you reserved your spot and it'll tell you your site. Go EL!!!!

Well that was 1000$ of hard earned money, cleaning up human excrement and gathering pulses. I hope you're all happy.

See you all soon:smuggrin:

Reactions: 3 users