Midwestern University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here, thank you!! Enjoy your weekend as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am so happy for you guys ! Congratulations to all of you! I hope to be as lucky!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got in!!!!!!! This is my second time applying and I will accept this school. Midwestern was my top school, I applied to 7 schools total!!!! :lol: Does anyone know much about the housing there?

Reactions: 5 users
I got in!!!!!!! This is my second time applying and I will accept this school. Midwestern was my top school, I applied to 7 schools total!!!! :lol: Does anyone know much about the housing there?
i got in too!!!

This shows nearby apartments, I lived at Tresa at Arrowhead and loved it. Some friends live at San Lagos and San Prado and I haven't heard complaints. On the MWU CVM FB page, people will post when they're looking for roommates, also will post any old textbooks that they're selling (wait until next summer for that to happen).

Did you guys received a lot of questions of your experiences?

Hey everyone! I got accepted today! First time applicant.

Congrats!!! I live on on-campus housing. Lemme know if you have any questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Did you guys received a lot of questions of your experiences?

I didn't receive any about my experiences but when they ask you a question I recommend you answer it with an example of one of your experiences.

I didn't receive any about my experiences but when they ask you a question I recommend you answer it with an example of one of your experiences.

Thank you, I am just nervous

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about the financial aid process for MWU? For instance what loans did you apply for to afford your tuition and living expenses?

Oh awesome! Which floor plan did you go with and do you live with a pet?

Yup :) I went with the basic 2 bedroom apartment and I moved with my cat and 2 bunnies. If you have a pet, you can’t have a roommate though. I’m loving it so far. I haven’t gone to campus yet cause of COVID but I figure that it’ll be useful to be close to campus once it’s over. Plus, moving from another state, I didn’t want to deal with the stress of looking for and comparing off-campus apartments. Water and gas are covered so the only thing I have to pay for is electricity and internet. The apartments all got renovated recently too so it feels like I’m living in a brand new apartment and it’s well priced :) I think it comes out to $890/month + utilities.

Also, if you plan on living on campus, I would put in an application ASAP. They’re first come, first serve and the apartments go by fast. I applied for on campus housing in January and I was luckily able to get housing but I heard some of my classmates weren’t able to get it because they applied too late.

Last edited:
Does anyone know about the financial aid process for MWU? For instance what loans did you apply for to afford your tuition and living expenses?

For financial aid, once you become an official student (aka you accept your acceptance letter and become a student - sorry if it’s worded weirdly, my brain is basically fried because of anatomy and I can’t think of words ) and it gets closer to the start of the program, your MWU portal will become more detailed and will include a link to apply for fin aid which is super straightforward. There’s only 2 loan choices available. I forget the specifics but I think it has something to do with interest, one was like the Parent Plus Loan but for grad school. It was definitely more straightforward than undergrad fin aid process by a long shot. During the process, there’s gonna be a list of things (like tuition, rent, school supplies, etc) and you checkmark which ones you want loans to cover (I selected all but rent and school supplies which I was gonna cover myself). Then a bit later, you receive your loan amount and the school disperses it to you a few days before the quarter starts (I think I received the money like 2 days before school started).

I thought virtual interviews would be less stressful, but I’m so worried about getting on at the wrong time because of the time difference from Arizona to Maryland! Anyone else?

I thought virtual interviews would be less stressful, but I’m so worried about getting on at the wrong time because of the time difference from Arizona to Maryland! Anyone else?

SAMEEEEEE

I’m so stress out! And scared that the internet connection fail or something

SAMEEEEEE

I’m so stress out! And scared that the internet connection fail or something
For sure! My boyfriend and I JUST got internet in our house, so I’m just hoping it works like it should! Any idea how many they are accepting from each interview round?

For sure! My boyfriend and I JUST got internet in our house, so I’m just hoping it works like it should! Any idea how many they are accepting from each interview round?

I have no idea, I hope that they have space for all of us. Their classroom is of 120 students so I hope they accept manny of us at least.

Btw: Hope you have an excellent interview

There's no exact number that they accept from each interview round. Class sizes are 120-130, exact number varied between the years.
Also, since interviews are online admissions has to be aware that internet failures may happen and it shouldn't harm your interview or chances of acceptance if it happens to you!

There's no exact number that they accept from each interview round. Class sizes are 120-130, exact number varied between the years.
Also, since interviews are online admissions has to be aware that internet failures may happen and it shouldn't harm your interview or chances of acceptance if it happens to you!

ok! Does anyone know how many rounds of interviews they will be conducting?

Yup :) I went with the basic 2 bedroom apartment and I moved with my cat and 2 bunnies. If you have a pet, you can’t have a roommate though. I’m loving it so far. I haven’t gone to campus yet cause of COVID but I figure that it’ll be useful to be close to campus once it’s over. Plus, moving from another state, I didn’t want to deal with the stress of looking for and comparing off-campus apartments. Water and gas are covered so the only thing I have to pay for is electricity and internet. The apartments all got renovated recently too so it feels like I’m living in a brand new apartment and it’s well priced :) I think it comes out to $890/month + utilities.

Also, if you plan on living on campus, I would put in an application ASAP. They’re first come, first serve and the apartments go by fast. I applied for on campus housing in January and I was luckily able to get housing but I heard some of my classmates weren’t able to get it because they applied too late.
Okay thank you I am trying to decide between a studio and 1 bedroom but idk if they are all pet friendly.

For financial aid, once you become an official student (aka you accept your acceptance letter and become a student - sorry if it’s worded weirdly, my brain is basically fried because of anatomy and I can’t think of words ) and it gets closer to the start of the program, your MWU portal will become more detailed and will include a link to apply for fin aid which is super straightforward. There’s only 2 loan choices available. I forget the specifics but I think it has something to do with interest, one was like the Parent Plus Loan but for grad school. It was definitely more straightforward than undergrad fin aid process by a long shot. During the process, there’s gonna be a list of things (like tuition, rent, school supplies, etc) and you checkmark which ones you want loans to cover (I selected all but rent and school supplies which I was gonna cover myself). Then a bit later, you receive your loan amount and the school disperses it to you a few days before the quarter starts (I think I received the money like 2 days before school started).
Awesome! MWU is my top school so I accepted!!!! I just want to make sure that my financial aid ( which I know will be all loans) will be able to cover my tuition, rent, supplies etc) because I dont know how soon I will be able to get a job to help pay off rent

Awesome! MWU is my top school so I accepted!!!! I just want to make sure that my financial aid ( which I know will be all loans) will be able to cover my tuition, rent, supplies etc) because I dont know how soon I will be able to get a job to help pay off rent

I solely use financial aid for everything and it covers all of it! I usually have enough to cover my mortgage for the summer break months too!

I know they said they will mail, email and call to tell us of our official acceptance but I have not received any "official information" yet. However, I did accept the offer through the portal. Has anyone else gotten any official calls?

I
I know they said they will mail, email and call to tell us of our official acceptance but I have not received any "official information" yet. However, I did accept the offer through the portal. Has anyone else gotten any official calls?
accepted my offer as well, I have not received a phone call, but I did receive a letter in the mail that said congratulations on being accepted

I received all 3: an email, phone call, and a letter in the mail

I solely use financial aid for everything and it covers all of it! I usually have enough to cover my mortgage for the summer break months too!

Does this include the plus loans? How do those work if you don’t mind me asking?

I just received the Acceptance in the mail, and I got a nonofficial email a while back. Still no phone call lol but I think that’s enough confirmation for me.

Does this include the plus loans? How do those work if you don’t mind me asking?

I guess I should say, are these considered in the coverage with financial aid to cover cost of attendance? I’m just nervous about finding a co-signer with good credit

Hi! I got accepted too, and I wanted to know a little bit about apartment living in the area too. Is it correct to assume that on-campus housing is only for single students, that no married students live there? My husband and I have been researching apartments in the surrounding area and plan to visit Arizona next month to get a feel for the area. But I wanted to know, as a current student, do you know of any apartments off campus that are better than others, or places to avoid, or places that are quiet and ideal for studying (I really like to study at home)?

All of the above for me. I saw my portal updated, received an email, got the official letter in the mail, and got the phone call.

Hi! I got accepted too, and I wanted to know a little bit about apartment living in the area too. Is it correct to assume that on-campus housing is only for single students, that no married students live there? My husband and I have been researching apartments in the surrounding area and plan to visit Arizona next month to get a feel for the area. But I wanted to know, as a current student, do you know of any apartments off campus that are better than others, or places to avoid, or places that are quiet and ideal for studying (I really like to study at home)?

One of my friends lives in an on-campus apartment with her fiancé. There are also families and kids that live on campus!
For off-campus I really liked Tresa and friends liked San Prado.

No problem and congrats!! On-campus housing is actually great and, the best part is that they allow significant others and pets as well! I currently live with my boyfriend :) There are also lots of people living on campus with their husbands/wives and children too.

One of my friends lives in an on-campus apartment with her fiancé. There are also families and kids that live on campus!
For off-campus I really liked Tresa and friends liked San Prado.
No problem and congrats!! On-campus housing is actually great and, the best part is that they allow significant others and pets as well! I currently live with my boyfriend :) There are also lots of people living on campus with their husbands/wives and children too.

Thanks for the info! That's nice to know that I would not be the only married student on campus!
What is the general price range for a 1 or a 2 bedroom on campus with pets? Pros/cons living in on campus housing? It's not like a dorm where you have to pay per person/per room and then move out at the end of the school year is it?

What kind of pets do students bring to campus? I ask because I have a dog, rabbit, and 2 birds. What is the noise level like within the student apartments?

Haha its funny that you mention pets because one big reason I am living off campus is for them. I have an iguana, B&G Macaw, Sulcata Tortoise, Cat, oh and a husband lol. I think they said in the orientation that they are pretty lenient with pets but I don't remember the exact rules. What kind of birds do you have?

Reactions: 2 users
Haha its funny that you mention pets because one big reason I am living off campus is for them. I have an iguana, B&G Macaw, Sulcata Tortoise, Cat, oh and a husband lol. I think they said in the orientation that they are pretty lenient with pets but I don't remember the exact rules. What kind of birds do you have?
Oh my gosh, yes, I forgot to mention my boyfriend of 3 years I will be bringing along as well!
I have a cockatiel named Pika (my profile pic) and a parakeet named Piplup. They're named after pokemon! lol

That's adorable!! I'm sure the noise level should be fine with those two. I'm guessing the walls would be thick enough to keep their little noises from disturbing anyone.

Thanks for the info! That's nice to know that I would not be the only married student on campus!
What is the general price range for a 1 or a 2 bedroom on campus with pets? Pros/cons living in on campus housing? It's not like a dorm where you have to pay per person/per room and then move out at the end of the school year is it?

No problem :) I pay like $890/month + utilities for electricity and internet only (the other utilities are covered under rent). Pros are that it’s gated which is nice and it’s close to campus for the 2 times I’ve had to go to campus for practicing physical exams and doing case studies but I figure it’ll be beneficial once COVID ends to live close to campus so I can just walk to my classes. I can’t think of any cons except that, because it’s gated, it’s harder to get delivery for food lol so I actually have to drive out to get it. Total rent minus utilities is billed to your school account per quarter I believe. The school gives you an option to either pay it all off at once or go on a payment plan. I have mine set on a payment plan.

Hi everyone! I had a quick question. I’m about to click submit but wanted to make sure there wasn’t a supplemental application fee directly to Midwestern? I had to pay WSU $60 but I cannot find anything on Midwestern’s website. Thank you!

Current students, I have a question I just thought of! At my interview, I know we received/went over a copy of the curriculum, but I have questions about clinical rotations.
Do they not have rotations for optho, cardio, onco, etc? I know it appeared the focus was on creating GPs but I wanted to make sure I was understanding how clinicals worked, as well as what current students think of them and think of the layout of the curriculum!

Current students, I have a question I just thought of! At my interview, I know we received/went over a copy of the curriculum, but I have questions about clinical rotations.
Do they not have rotations for optho, cardio, onco, etc? I know it appeared the focus was on creating GPs but I wanted to make sure I was understanding how clinicals worked, as well as what current students think of them and think of the layout of the curriculum!

My core rotation schedule at MWU CAC (as a small animal track) includes: primary care, internal medicine, surgery, ER/ICU, pathology/clinical pathology, shelter medicine, and anesthesia. These are rotations that must be taken at the teaching hospital. Any of my remaining rotation times can either be a system arranged or student arranged rotation and they aren’t limited in where/what they can be in. I have several ER/IM/Neurology/Surgery/Ophtho places that I’ve scheduled in the phoenix area as well as in Tucson. There are system arranged rotations that include oncology (and other specialties) that I will keep spots open for. As a SA person, you can also opt to take on (or off) campus rotations for LA / equine and are not limited to SA for those.

I hope I explained it okay! If it doesn’t make sense, let me know and I can always send you what my rotation schedule looks like currently. Keep in mind this very well may change for c/o 2025. I also can’t really comment on rotations since I don’t start them until March (we start our 3rd yr and don’t get a summer vacation between 3rd and 4th yr), but feel free to reach out around the end of this academic year (May-ish) and I’ll be happy to say how I feel at that point in time.

Hi guys,

Not even a week has passed since my interview and I already have open the portal and email a lot ! Waiting a month is exhausting, but that is part of it ! Sorry, nothing important really, just wanted to rant a little.