Midwestern University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry if this is a dumb question! I submitted my applications 4 days ago, where/how do I access the portal? I couldn't find anything on midwestern's website!

Members don't see this ad.

GUYSSS!!!

I JUST RECEIVED AN EMAIL !! I was acceptedddddd !

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone explain how their academic calendar works? I’ve never taken classes on a quarter schedule. When are breaks and how long are they for, etc?

Can someone explain how their academic calendar works? I’ve never taken classes on a quarter schedule. When are breaks and how long are they for, etc?

I'd check out the academic calendar here, you wanna look for any of the VM-I, VM-II, or VM-III: Academic Calendars

Example: Classes Begin (PS-I/PS-II/PA-I/NA-I/PM-III/PT-I/PT-II/OT-I/OT-II/MA/MBS-I/MBS-II/CVSP-I/CP-I/CPII/CP-III/DM-I/DM-II/DM-III/DM-IV/OP-I/OP-II/OP-III/VM-I/VM-II/VM-III/DNAP/SLP-I/SLP-II) August 31, 2020

For all of us applicants for this year how many of you are accepting a seat for MWU program? excited to meet you all:rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
For current students, when applying for finacail aid did you find it easy? and were you able to get all the loans you need to cover for your expenses? Also for those who live in the on campus apartments, do you know if you can eventually get an animal halfway through your lease?

For current students, when applying for finacail aid did you find it easy? and were you able to get all the loans you need to cover for your expenses? Also for those who live in the on campus apartments, do you know if you can eventually get an animal halfway through your lease?

I covered everything with loans! For on-campus apartments in order to have an animal you’ll need to be in a pet friendly complex, which go quick, if you’re not then you can’t get a pet until you’re in one. You can always reapply for pet friendly housing when possible to try and get one of those units.

Yup! Signing up for loans was super easy. My experience was that a few weeks before the program started, my student portal changed and had an option to apply for financial aid. You go through the Fafsa and government student loans websites but the portal gives you the exact steps you need to follow to do so. I signed up for enough loans to cover everything but books/supplies and rent. You can get an animal anytime you want but, like FrostySparrow said, if you’re planning to do so, get one of the few animal-allowed units. They go by fast so if you want one and you know you’re going to attend, I’d recommend signing up for housing as soon as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I had my interview on August 19th and was accepted as well! I still have 6 school to hear back from so I'm not sure where I will go but I really loved Arizona/Midwestern so we will see! I'd love to get to know some of my possible future classmates, add me on insta: julie.broomell

Any current students here? I was accepted OOS and would like to get opinions on the program! As far as I an tell it looks amazing!

I only submitted my app on 9/14, so still waiting for verification. How long did it take for you guys to get interview invites after verification?

Hey guys! I had my interview on August 19th and was accepted as well! I still have 6 school to hear back from so I'm not sure where I will go but I really loved Arizona/Midwestern so we will see! I'd love to get to know some of my possible future classmates, add me on insta: julie.broomell

Same !

I LOVED Midwestern, but I am still waiting to hear back from other schools.

I’ll give you a follow!

Reactions: 1 users
Yup! Signing up for loans was super easy. My experience was that a few weeks before the program started, my student portal changed and had an option to apply for financial aid. You go through the Fafsa and government student loans websites but the portal gives you the exact steps you need to follow to do so. I signed up for enough loans to cover everything but books/supplies and rent. You can get an animal anytime you want but, like FrostySparrow said, if you’re planning to do so, get one of the few animal-allowed units. They go by fast so if you want one and you know you’re going to attend, I’d recommend signing up for housing as soon as you can.
Okay so you dont apply through fafsa before the portal updates you then? Because I thought fafsa deadline is like in February. Also if I dont have a pet yet would they still let me live in one of the pet approved buildings.

Midwestern is my number 1 school! I'll follow you mine is mc_mello

Okay so you dont apply through fafsa before the portal updates you then? Because I thought fafsa deadline is like in February. Also if I dont have a pet yet would they still let me live in one of the pet approved buildings.

Not that I’m aware of but to be honest I don’t remember the exact steps but I definitely remember that it was a straightforward process that took very little time. I remember really finishing the loan application process sometime in June. If anything, the school should provide you with more information as it gets closer.

I would look on MWU’s housing website for specifics. As far as I’m aware, if you have a pet then you can’t have a roommate but I’m not sure for those planning to get pets in the future.

I was reading on the Midwestern Financial aid webpage, and yes, we do need to complete fafsa first.

So, even if you have not accepted the offer, you need to complete it?

You can complete fafsa before receiving final decisions from every school. I think you are able to send info to up to 10 schools. It is always good to get fafsa done early, because regardless of what school you choose to attend, we all will need the loans to afford school (unless someone has a long-lost rich uncle-in which case- can he pay for all our schooling lol :laugh: ).

You can complete fafsa before receiving final decisions from every school. I think you are able to send info to up to 10 schools. It is always good to get fafsa done early, because regardless of what school you choose to attend, we all will need the loans to afford school (unless someone has a long-lost rich uncle-in which case- can he pay for all our schooling lol :laugh: ).

Ok ok, I did not know that. I did not want to filled it because of not knowing the response of the other school first and deciding ! But thank you!

Anyone know if Midwestern is doing tours? Since my husband and I are from OOS, we are planning on visiting Glendale next month to scout out some potential apartment complexes. I also want to be able to get a feel for the university in person to ensure the school is the right fit for me (just in case I get other acceptances and need to compare schools/programs).

Anyone know if Midwestern is doing tours? Since my husband and I are from OOS, we are planning on visiting Glendale next month to scout out some potential apartment complexes. I also want to be able to get a feel for the university in person to ensure the school is the right fit for me (just in case I get other acceptances and need to compare schools/programs).
I was thinking the same thing. I know during my interview day the advisor had talked about possibly doing tours for accepted students if things have settled down the COVID-19. However, I do not know if they are taking any now. I would defintetly call the admissions office to see

I would inquire about it closer to your visit. But I’m assuming it’s a real possibility there won’t be tours offered by then due to a number of things: AZ being a bit of hotspot, keeping students in clinics and on campus that day safe, etc.

Current students, I have another couple questions for you.

1. I read somewhere that Midwestern has a business casual dress code. Is this still accurate? Dos and Don't of what to wear? Is it appropriate to wear scrubs to class?

2. How are tests designed in vet school? Online/handwritten? Multiple choice/short answer?

3. I know that some schools require certain technology requirements (i.e. a specific laptop or a specific IPAD). Does Midwestern have specific requirements?

1. I read somewhere that Midwestern has a business casual dress code. Is this still accurate? Dos and Don't of what to wear? Is it appropriate to wear scrubs to class?

2. How are tests designed in vet school? Online/handwritten? Multiple choice/short answer?

3. I know that some schools require certain technology requirements (i.e. a specific laptop or a specific IPAD). Does Midwestern have specific requirements?

Because of COVID, MWU temporarily waived the business casual dress code. As long as it isn't offensive, they'll allow you to wear casual clothes. Whenever I had to be on campus, I'd just put on non-distressed jeans, a nice shirt, and walking shoes. I've definitely seen a few male classmates wear a t-shirt and gym shorts.

Currently, again because of COVID, my tests are online but you have to take it on a computer/tablet that has a webcam and mic and download this program called the Lockdown Browser. It's just extra measure to make sure you aren't cheating. I've only had 1 exam so far and it's been multiple choice. Other than that, it's just your normal test.

MWU doesn't have a technology requirement although I heard from my classmates that they've been having issues streaming lectures and using the Lockdown Browser on iPads. I use a Microsoft Surface Pro and haven't had any issues so far.

Also, I know that now everything is probably online. But generally, are all the lectures recorded so students can go back and listen to the lectures later?

Also, I know that now everything is probably online. But generally, are all the lectures recorded so students can go back and listen to the lectures later?

Yup! The lectures are also live-streamed so I just watch them from my apartment.

1. By the time 2025 starts, I’d expect BC to be in place again. It’s primarily student enforced. No jeans (only on Fridays is this okay) or regular T-shirts (can only wear MWU/club T-shirts on Fridays), no leggings, no flip flops. If you want to wear sandals they should have a back to them. No scrubs outside of labs, this is especially enforced during surgery labs, you’ll get scolded pretty nicely if you’re caught.

2. Pre-COVID: Tests are all online in a testing center. Quizzes may be done online (canvas) or written. Format of exams or quizzes depends on the class, they may be multiple choice, fill in the blank or short answer. I’ve had exams that are all MC and others that have plenty of other things in them.

Ideally, yes. Pre-COVID lectures were usually recorded and available on canvas after, but this doesn’t happen for all classes. The professors must specifically ask for lectures to be recorded for that class and some classrooms aren’t able to do recordings, you aren’t in the same room for every lecture.

To current students

I did not realize that MWU vet program has a BC dresscode. Can someone explain this to me? I am just a little confused since we pay a lot of money for vet school, but there is a strict dresscode? For instance besides lab days we have to come to lecture for however long they are in a suit and heels? As well as hair done? I could not just come to class in a sweater and jeans and still learn from lecture that way?

To current students

I did not realize that MWU vet program has a BC dresscode. Can someone explain this to me? I am just a little confused since we pay a lot of money for vet school, but there is a strict dresscode? For instance besides lab days we have to come to lecture for however long they are in a suit and heels? As well as hair done? I could not just come to class in a sweater and jeans and still learn from lecture that way?

The best thing I can come up with is: We are a professional only school and first years usually have some classes at the companion animal clinic where we especially have to be professional and dress business casual. The dress code is for preparing you for what you’ll be wearing most of 3rd/4th yr in clinical rotations.
My answer is, I wear it cause I’m told to. Now... was it annoying that I had to buy a new wardrobe? Yes. I’m much more comfortable in jeans. Buuuuutttt, you don’t have to wear heels or a suit, but you can’t wear jeans or your scrubs, even on lab days. You wear BC and then in the locker room change into scrubs for lab and back into BC after lab is over. The dress code is student enforced, so if you want to come in something other than BC you can... I wouldn’t recommended it, especially as faculty will take notice and this may hurt you if it comes time for recommendations if you want to do an internship. And if peers complain you may have a meeting with a faculty member (has happened in my class).

Last edited:
Wow, thank you for the information. Is this sort of rule common among vet schools or is it unique to MW? I’ve pretty much forgotten how to dress in anything besides scrubs after working as a tech over the past few years :D

Wow, thank you for the information. Is this sort of rule common among vet schools or is it unique to MW? I’ve pretty much forgotten how to dress in anything besides scrubs after working as a tech over the past few years :D

I think it’s mixed? Not sure. I have some friends in other programs and they’re pretty split on how they’re allowed to dress on campus. When we host orientation we do a little skit normally to go over dress code and offer places we recommend shopping at. The FB page is super helpful for that stuff too!

Hey guys! 1st time OOS accepted student for CVM c/o 2025! I was very excited upon hearing I got in because I really liked the information and vibe I got from interview day. I have a question for current DVM students: Do most students use iPads or tablets for note taking? Is this better/easier to study with than traditional paper and pen? If so, what tablet type do you like?

Thanks!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys! 1st time OOS accepted student for CVM c/o 2025! I was very excited upon hearing I got in because I really liked the information and vibe I got from interview day. I have a question for current DVM students: Do most students use iPads or tablets for note taking? Is this better/easier to study with than traditional paper and pen? If so, what tablet type do you like?

Thanks!!

I would say most of us have iPads and tablets for note taking! I can only think of 1 person in my class that uses pen/paper. Pro is the convenience of air dropping things to classmates!

Hi everyone! I'm an OOS first time applicant. Just received my invitation to interview in the portal!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
How soon after verification were you able to view the portal? Thanks!

I was verified yesterday around 10am. I then received an email from Midwestern this morning at 4AM with the link to set up my applicant account. Hope that helps!

If you don’t mind me asking. How long after being verified did you receive the invite on the portal? I just set up my portal account this morning, as I was verified by VMCAS yesterday AM

If you don’t mind me asking. How long after being verified did you receive the invite on the portal? I just set up my portal account this morning, as I was verified by VMCAS yesterday AM
I was verified yesterday afternoon and received the portal invite this this AM

FYI y'all I emailed Michael Matousek about my visit to AZ next month, and he said that he can give my husband and I a tour! So If you see a lost couple wandering around campus on the afternoon of October 14, that'll be us lol :laugh:

I was verified yesterday on Sept. 30th, and have not received the link to set up the applicant account :(

Guys!

Did you apply to financial aid through the website of Midwestern or through fasfa directly?

I was verified yesterday on Sept. 30th, and have not received the link to set up the applicant account :(
I wouldn't worry. I didn't get my link to create my portal page until 2 days after I submitted.

Does anyone know when Midwestern will be sending out the next round of interview invites? Not sure how this works...