Midwestern University c/o 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Midwestern sends out invites up until February I believe. I did not receive my invite to interview until November last year and my interview date was late January. I am sure it is a bit different because of COVID though. I remember stressing so much since I saw so many people getting invites and I didn't, but it came eventually!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I'm an OOS first time applicant. Just received my invitation to interview in the portal!

May I asked when you submitted/ were verified?
I submitted on the 14th but due to some Canadian transcripts on top of my Idaho State science courses, I wasn’t verified until the 29th. My Midwestern portal account was created on the 30th. I’m just anxiously waiting for the next round of interview emails to go out

I submitted 9/15 but had been previously verified.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview waitlisted :(:(
Though, I'm sure they still have applications rolling in right now from verification. I wonder what that means?

Interview waitlisted :(:(
Though, I'm sure they still have applications rolling in right now from verification. I wonder what that means?

I believe they start pulling students off the interview waitlist towards the end of the cycle (Jan-March-ish) based on what I saw in previous years threads. I would check them out to reach out to SDN users who were interview waitlisted!

If you check under interview on your portal it should show up as an invite. I got an email several days later.

So I was put on a waitlist to hear back about an interview which scares me. I feel like my application isn't good enough. Is this common or is it a really bad sign?

So I was put on a waitlist to hear back about an interview which scares me. I feel like my application isn't good enough. Is this common or is it a really bad sign?
Honestly it just depends on the year, I got waitlisted last year for an interview and never received one. Each application cycle will be different.

To any current students: what do you particularly enjoy about Midwestern, and what are some unique qualities about the school? It's so hard to get a clear picture of everything from just the website. I wish COVID wasn't a thing and we could tour the school/meet with admissions officers.

You can tour! I’m going in two weeks. You won’t be able to tour the hospitals, but you can tour the academic side of things.

To any current students: what do you particularly enjoy about Midwestern, and what are some unique qualities about the school? It's so hard to get a clear picture of everything from just the website. I wish COVID wasn't a thing and we could tour the school/meet with admissions officers.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm also happy to meet with anyone on campus and walk around with them!

I just got an interview offer! But the scheduler wouldn’t allow me to select a date before January 13th. Seems so far away!

Reactions: 2 users
Had an interview today. Consisted of an introduction, the actual interview, a student panel, and a virtual tour of the school. It was a really nice experience and everyone was very friendly!

I’m just a first year and MWU was the only program I was accepted into so this might not carry too much weight but I really enjoy everyone that I’ve met here so far. I’ve actually made good friends with some of my classmates and we study a lot together. MWU has this reputation of accepting the rejects of other schools which kind of sucks having that over your head but I’m genuinely happy that I got into this program. Not to disparage any of the other programs whatsoever but it’s my own opinion that this school gives chances to those who may not look the prettiest on paper (either academically or experientially) but deserve the chance to go to vet school. For me, I think it was my veterinary experience as only a veterinary receptionist that made it difficult for me to get into other programs. I’m 28 and, unlike a lot of others, spent most of my 20’s figuring out what I wanted to do and solidified my career path kind of late. As such, I didn’t really have the time to try getting vet tech experience if I wanted to obtain a DVM at a reasonable age. I had applied to a lot of other programs and this was my second time applying (I didn’t apply to MWU last round) and, although all of the other programs are great in their own way, perhaps I didn’t fit their requirements in one way or another but that didn’t mean that I was less worthy to become a DVM. Above all, I appreciated and am thankful that MWU gave me this opportunity to present myself and prove that I’m also equally qualified to get a DVM degree.

If any of you are planning to tour the campus, PM me and I’d also be happy to meet you guys on campus to talk more about my experience :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I received an email over the night that I have been waitlisted to interview.

How long after interviewing did any accepted students hear back?

To those that interviewed this cycle and were accepted:

I interviewed this past Wednesday October 14, and checked my portal today. Under accepted checklist there is Required Documents, Required Transcripts, and Required Prerequisites. Does this mean I was accepted? None of this information showed up under my checklist before. I am a bit confused.

I interviewed this past Wednesday October 14, and checked my portal today. Under accepted checklist there is Required Documents, Required Transcripts, and Required Prerequisites. Does this mean I was accepted? None of this information showed up under my checklist before. I am a bit confused.

Yes !!

Congratulations !

Yep!

Congratulations!!

For those of you who have interviewed, how long after you were verified did you receive your interview invite? I got the email to set up my portal, but I haven’t heard anything else for about a month so I’m starting to get worried

I received my interview invite on 9/28 and had submitted on 9/15 (was already verified).

For those of you who have interviewed, how long after you were verified did you receive your interview invite? I got the email to set up my portal, but I haven’t heard anything else for about a month so I’m starting to get worried
I wouldn’t worry too much because those of us who heard back super fast mostly had our applications submitted and verified before the VMCAS deadline. So it’s probably just that they are more busy now and it will take longer for the invites and info to come out in general. Stay positive!

I was verified on September 30th and October 14th the interview section of the portal allowed me to book a day. January 13th & 20th were the only two dates available. I’m not sure if they are taking an interview break, or maybe since I still have prerequisites to complete they will want to see my fall transcript during my interview.

everyone check your portals/email! I interviewed on sept 23rd and i found my acceptance email in my junk mail this morning!

How did y'all prepare for your interviews?? I feel like their website doesn't have a ton of specific information, nor does the interview section of their thread on SDN.

Dress business professional. And I would give the advice to give a specific example with every question you answer! But mostly relax, they are super nice!

How did y'all prepare for your interviews?? I feel like their website doesn't have a ton of specific information, nor does the interview section of their thread on SDN.

Should I be concerned if I haven’t received an email, letter, or call alerting me of my acceptance? My portal page changed on Tuesday...

Never mind I just got the letter in the mail!

Reactions: 4 users

I had hired an admissions consultant this cycle to help improve my chances of getting in this year, and I was able to do interview practice sessions with them. Most schools have a career center that will help with practice interviews, so if your school has that option I'd definitely recommend scheduling a session to practice with someone. Or a boss could help too. The idea is to make sure someone can give you feedback on non-verbal cues (my eyes tend to wander alot when I chat on a video call and I talk with my hands a lot as well). Also, another person can give you a chance to practice your answers to common questions to ensure you aren't rambling, talking too fast or too long, and have good quality answers.

The 3 most common questions any school is likely to ask you are the following:

1. Tell me about yourself
2. Why do you want to be a vet?
3. Why Midwestern?

If you haven't had a chance to practice your responses, these are good starting points to reflect upon. But as you prepare remember not to make it sound too rehearsed.

Behavior based questions can also be common. You can find lists of common behavior-based questions online to practice thinking through these styles of questions, if you haven't had much experience with this style of questions.

Also, don't forget to be yourself, stay calm, and dress professionally, and smile! Overall, the interview I had with Midwestern back in August was very conversational. Not worth stressing too much over. The information I have listed here are just general interview prep advice, and you may or may not have a similar experience in your interview (after all every employer/professor has a different interview style). But regardless, I still wanted to share this information that I learned from the consultants to help y'all out as well!

My advice is, if you work in a clinic, try to ask one of the vets if they’ll do a mock interview with you! It was honestly more stressful doing a mock interview with an actual professional than with the school for some reason .

I saw some else post a similar question but my accepted student portal populated a check list for several things and shows all my classes... does this mean I’m accepted and just waiting for my letter?

I wouldn't prepare specific answers too too heavily because then if the question comes up it'll sound scripted and not very genuine. That was some of the post interview feedback I received from my advisor.

Start thinking about a few strengths and weaknesses and some examples.

When asked a question take a second or two to process it, and try not to lose the question in your answer.

If I had to do it all again, I would not have prepared as heavily as I did.

No phone call. I got an email that said like join Midwestern's student app or something (in the email it said like congratulations on your acceptance). That's it though.

When I was accepted, I never received a phone call. Just an email and then a formal letter in the mail sometime later.

I've recently been accepted based on the accepted checklist popping up on my Midwestern portal on 10/26 and still haven't received an email of acceptance. How long after did you guys receive an email/phone call?

I've recently been accepted based on the accepted checklist popping up on my Midwestern portal on 10/26 and still haven't received an email of acceptance. How long after did you guys receive an email/phone call?
I was accepted via checklist yesterday still waiting for the email letter too... I’ll let you know when I get mine

I was accepted via checklist yesterday still waiting for the email letter too... I’ll let you know when I get mine
I just received my acceptance letter via email! I'm assuming you should as well

Just got my email!

Has anyone been offered an interview recently? I've only seen people being placed on an interview waitlist over the last week or two.

My best friend got her acceptance letter via email this morning! Congrats to those who also got accepted :)

Has anyone been offered an interview recently? I've only seen people being placed on an interview waitlist over the last week or two.
I received my interview invite October 14th. But it would only allow me to select January 13th or 20th as my interview day. I was wondering if they are taking a pause from interviews until then?