Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone know what textbooks we should be buying?

Also, should we be receiving an acceptance packet, or is all the information we need on the student portal?

Also, should we be receiving an acceptance packet, or is all the information we need on the student portal?

You don't need to buy any books. You'll get all the info you need during orientation/beginning of classes and will be able to buy the note packets as soon as they're available in the bookstore. There's no "acceptance packet" per se but you should get some emails in the coming weeks with information about orientation etc. if you haven't already.

The only books I would highly recommend are the anatomy atlas (you'll probably get one when you sign up for SOMA unless they are giving out something different this year, but I would wait to find out before buying anything - you'll absolutely need this for anatomy, more so than the textbook) and personally I liked having the Lippincott Biochemistry book and got a lot of use from it.

Reactions: 1 user

A lot of textbooks can also be found on the library website as well.

You don't need to buy any books. You'll get all the info you need during orientation/beginning of classes and will be able to buy the note packets as soon as they're available in the bookstore. There's no "acceptance packet" per se but you should get some emails in the coming weeks with information about orientation etc. if you haven't already.

The only books I would highly recommend are the anatomy atlas (you'll probably get one when you sign up for SOMA unless they are giving out something different this year, but I would wait to find out before buying anything - you'll absolutely need this for anatomy, more so than the textbook) and personally I liked having the Lippincott Biochemistry book and got a lot of use from it.

Awesome, thank you!

congratulations to those accepted! is anyone living off-campus but near the school? looking for an partment and could use all the advice I can get

congratulations to those accepted! is anyone living off-campus but near the school? looking for an partment and could use all the advice I can get
Try the facebook group, there have been recent posts about housing options/people looking for roommates

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was set to go to LECOM-B but I would much rather go to CCOM. No PBL for me! Some other lucky person will get to deal with LECOM's tyranny in exchange for a D.O. Degree.
One more question, did you call CCOM at all while on the alternate list?

One more question, did you call CCOM at all while on the alternate list?
I did call them a few months ago and I sent them a letter of interest. I didn't really say much other than I was checking to see if there was any waitlist movement when I called.

I did call them a few months ago and I sent them a letter of interest. I didn't really say much other than I was checking to see if there was any waitlist movement when I called.
Thanks for letting me know :)

Just got the email and call a few hours ago!!! I'm in! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Any students know what the 1st quarter classes are? I found a list of all 1st year classes, but it didn't break it down by quarter.

https://www.midwestern.edu/course_c...llege_of_osteopathic_medicine/curriculum.html

If you look at that list, you'll see F, W, S next to the courses - that indicates Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters. In the fall you take biochem, histology, gross anatomy, and the interprofessional class. In winter, you'll be done with histology, but continue gross anatomy, biochem II, and add physiology I and health care communications. Spring quarter you'll have finished gross and biochem, and continue physiology II, add neuroscience and behavioral health. OMM lab + lecture, PSP and PES you will have throughout the year.

This is great. Thank you! The F, W, S quarter system will be interesting. I heard students have many built-in breaks. Any specific class advice? We've been getting lots of info in the emails and there's some FB page activity, but I'm always looking for more insight.

You get one week off for Thanksgiving, which also marks the end of fall quarter. When you return, you start winter quarter and then awkwardly get 2 weeks off for winter holidays in the middle... then spring break in late Feb/early March :). The bad thing is that some classes span multiple quarters, so we had a quiz or exam right after break for both fall and winter.

As far as specific class advice, the golden rule is: don't panic! The first exam you will have after FOM is probably histology (ours was last year) and it hit a lot of people hard. Some people managed to do well, but for others it was a reality check. You will be okay regardless. For histology, I used Histotime and one of the recommended atlases for images. You really have to scour the notes for this class because the questions require an incredible amount of detail and specific recall. For biochem the notes were usually enough, but I used the Lippincott book as a supplement for some sections since I had no background in biochem. Gross... *sigh*... if you have trouble with spatial relationships like I do, you MIGHT have a bad time. The course is very challenging and time consuming, especially since going into the gross lab is so critical to learning. But, as said before, you will survive anyway. The best tools for studying for mewere an atlas (you'll probably get one for joining SOMA unless they are gifting something else this year), the essential anatomy app for your tablet, the note packet of course, BRS anatomy for practice questions to steer you in the right direction, the Rohen's color atlas with actual cadaver photographs, and google for when you need more pics. There are also some good websites with cadaver pictures, I can't remember exactly but I think SUNY Stony Brook has one, maybe Wisconsin, and RVU? I'm sure people will be posting that stuff when it comes time. I don't want to overload you with information, but let me know if you have any questions now or once school starts. Feel free to PM me. Enjoy your last moments of summer and have fun at orientation!

Any students know what the 1st quarter classes are? I found a list of all 1st year classes, but it didn't break it down by quarter.
image.jpeg

Did anyone buy a cheaper diagnostic kit on their own? If so, could you please share the brand or model that they recommend? I heard that we barely get to use it and I do not want to spend $500-600 buying Welch Allyn diagnostic kit.
yooo this, i'm wondering this too before the equipment sale ends lol

yooo this, i'm wondering this too before the equipment sale ends lol

You can buy the mini set or whatever it's called if you want to buy through the sale but not purchase the most expensive one. Personally I got suckered into the "recommended" Welch Allyn one, but we used them like 3 times during first year and I will probably never use it in my career except maybe on friends or family (in which case an older/cheaper/smaller one would be fine). You absolutely need to have one for skills lab and tests (except for OSCEs, where you'll use the equipment provided, i.e. the wall mount kind) but it doesn't have to be the recommended one.

You guys are lucky though, all of the other equipment is being gifted to you this year. Last year we had to buy everything except stethoscopes.

Accepted this morning too. Flabbergasted. My second cycle, first acceptance.

cgpa 3.2 sgpa 3.3 MCAT 34. Light shadowing, 2 MDs 1 DO. Pretty standard clinical volunteering. Varied ECs.

What MD schools did you get into. I have similar Stats and am URM do you think I could get in here?

Accepted here on Thursday! sGPA 3.4ish, cGPA 3.5ish, MCAT 516. Submitted my secondary sometime in early July, not sure when I got the II.

Accepted here on Thursday! sGPA 3.4ish, cGPA 3.5ish, MCAT 516. Submitted my secondary sometime in early July, not sure when I got the II.
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the thread for 2015 - 2016 right? I assume your acceptance is for the upcoming year right? Otherwise this is very interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the thread for 2015 - 2016 right? I assume your acceptance is for the upcoming year right? Otherwise this is very interesting.

Oh shoot sorry about that! Been working crazy hours and I guess I misread the title.

Hi! Ih vae an interview here Monday and wanted some opinions of first years about the school. If anyone could tell me what they like about they schools and what kinds of opportunities there are, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!