Need help deciding between a few excellent institutions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where would you go if given the choice?

• Total voters

CheckMate2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this question has been posted before with a variety of other schools. I've gone through a large number of threads and have still been unable to come to a decision. I've received acceptances from a number of programs but am having trouble deciding amongst: KCUMB, NYIT-COM, UNECOM, AT-Still University (Brooklyn-CHC), and Touro-NY. I have been lucky enough to be accepted to so many great schools but am quite lost as to what to do. I only have a few weeks at this point to make my decision. I am originally from NYC but am open to moving around the country which doesn't help me in knocking any school out of the running. I know that KCUMB is consistently ranked as a top 5 DO-institution but the schools in NY have access to some of the most diversely populated hospitals in the country. Where would you guys go? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Please assist even if it's only to vote. I would sincerely appreciate it!

Bump! Please assist even if it's only to vote. I would sincerely appreciate it!

Are you from NY? If you felt more comfortable at the NY schools and it is close to home, that might be something else to consider. I really liked KCUMB and am thinking about depositing there, really seems like they've got all thier stuff together. Don't know much about the other schools though

Members don't see this ad :)
KCUMB ftw. I've heard nothing but great things about that school.
There've been some angry posts about NYIT-COM in the past few months. Even though those posts may or may not hold water, I would personally still avoid that school until things seem to calm down.

KCUMB ftw. I've heard nothing but great things about that school.
There've been some angry posts about NYIT-COM in the past few months. Even though those posts may or may not hold water, I would personally still avoid that school until things seem to calm down.

What sort of things have you heard exactly on NYIT-COM? I've heard about some excessive attrition but after conversing with a few friends in the program now, the worries seem unwarranted.

I agree with you on KCUMB. I'm feeling really good about the school, the curriculum, the atmosphere and the students/faculty. I just never imagined myself in Missouri of all places for medical school...or anything else for that matter. It's definitely a pleasant change for me though for sure.

AT Still has a campus in Brooklyn? What?

I am not sure, but I would assume established DO schools are more well known to competitive DO residency programs, if that's your thing (surgical subspecialties, radiology). Established DO programs are also more likely to be affiliated with such residency programs. These are the specialties you're very unlikely to match in the MD match.

I myself want to be around research opportunities and I want the flexibility in schedule that would allow that -- ie. fewer mandatory things (quizzes, lectures), less frequent testing. Touro-NY requires you to come in for quizzes after you go over lectures on your own, which means you have to go over lectures on their schedule.

Check out how the schools accommodate their students at the end of 2nd year for step I studying. I read that UNECOM had some problems -- they may have fixed it. I don't know if what I read is recent. Ask them to put you in touch with a 3rd year student to get a feel for it.

From what I can tell, KCUMB only matches 25% into specialties (anything non-FM, IM, PD, GenSurg, OBGYN) as opposed to 37% in UNECOM. I know that I'm interested in specializing (I prefer knowing a lot about one thing over knowing a little about everything) and I want to go to the school that would give me the greatest shot at a specialty post-medical school. KCUMB has an amazing environment and atmosphere that simply makes it impossible for me to just cross out though. Where do you think specializing would be more likely?

From what I can tell, KCUMB only matches 25% into specialties (anything non-FM, IM, PD, GenSurg, OBGYN) as opposed to 37% in UNECOM. I know that I'm interested in specializing (I prefer knowing a lot about one thing over knowing a little about everything) and I want to go to the school that would give me the greatest shot at a specialty post-medical school. KCUMB has an amazing environment and atmosphere that simply makes it impossible for me to just cross out though. Where do you think specializing would be more likely?

lol how is general surgery not considered a "specialty"?

lol how is general surgery not considered a "specialty"?

Thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying about general surgery being a specialty and all, but compared to orthopedic and vascular surgery residencies, I counted the GenSurg as primary care for simplicity's sake. I'm just trying to get a better feel of the schools.

If you had the choice, where would you head out to?