2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to the admissions office, they do!

Oh whattttt i was going off their website so i was afraid to send them anything
IMG_3784.png

Members don't see this ad.

Oh whattttt i was going off their website so i was afraid to send them anything
Oh **** I didn't even see that lol! Well n=1, maybe others could chime in or you could contact them yourself? They're actually super nice :)

Reactions: 1 user
They add it to your file and committee reviews it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That moment when you get a call from a Long Island number and it turns out to be a spam call....

• Haha
Are there any current students that can speak to the clinical rotations at NYITCOM?

Are there any current students that can speak to the clinical rotations at NYITCOM?
Not a current student but if you go back a few pages, there were some very thorough posts from current and past students talking about the rotations.

• Care
I am sitting on my rotation right now and would love to kill time talking about them.

In general: they vary A LOT. Some you get good residents and attendings who teach and include you as a part of them team. Other times you rotate for 8 weeks and they don’t even know your name but they’re still expected to evaluate you. I, and others, think that clinical rotations are were DO schools differ greatly from MD schools. You get a sense of what rotations are good or not from the classes above you and try to go there, but sometimes you end up in a bad one and just have to make the best of it for 4 weeks. It’s mostly true that you get out of a rotation what you put into it, but there are sometimes that no matter what you do you’ll never get above a 5/7 on evaluations or feel comfortable asking for a letter or feel like you learned anything. Grades are Pass/High Pass/Honors. You need a 6/7 on evaluation and a 110 on the COMAT (shelf) for High Pass, then a 115 on the COMAT and 6/7 eval to get Honors. 110 is 84th percentile and 115 is 93rd percentile.

Another user in the previous pages mentioned a lot about rotation sites and I agree. The expansion of MD schools rotations has made it harder for the school to hold onto really good quality rotations. Right now I would say they are “alright”. If you have some specific questions I can try and answer them! Like scheduling, what sites are available, the process of getting them etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I also wanted to add a couple of things to previous students answers to these questions.

What’s bothering you the most? Clinical grading scheme, getting sub-Is and elective rotations, the admin

How did you feel about the rotations sites (3rd and 4th) and making connections for residency? See above

How do you feel about the match list? Any popular specialties? IM and FM are always popular. One thing I want to mention is the school advises all of us to apply to 2 specialties to ensure we match. I think most people get accepted to their primary speciality but you might be seeing a few people not match into the speciality they want. To some this beats the alternative of not matching.

How difficult was it to make your group of friends? Or did the majority of people prefer to be alone? I feel bad for the classes below mine that had school only during covid. I had almost a whole year before covid so made some friends that way. So I hope they make it easy for you guys to meet up and make friends because it’s a big class and can be isolating.

How supportive was the staff? Finding a mentor for me was really difficult and my school assigned faculty mentor never returned my multiple emails even though he is staff at the campus.

How much is OMM emphasized? Not much but there are lots of OMM hoops to jump through. You do get questions on the tests though. But after the first 2 years it’s not bad.

Did you ever feel “alone”? Did the class size affect this? Yea definitely. I have a group of friends but I feel like everyone kind of settled into their group fairly early and then didn’t branch out from there. Not sure if due to class size or COVID or why exactly.

How was it when you guys prepped for boards? Did you feel supported? Was there a high % pass rate? The gold standard for boards is still Uworld. So the school provided resources are mildly helpful and should be used but aren’t the primary learning source. You do most of the necessary learning on your own using pathoma, boards and beyond, sketchy, anki and uworld. Can’t say about pass rate, I know a decent number of people delayed for step 1 but others got great scores so mileage varies.

Think anyone will hear back today?
no idea! I'd imagine that WL movement will be driven by people w/ MD acceptances withdrawing, as well as some people choosing other DO schools. That tends to pick up at the end of the month, so I can't imagine movement will start until like Mid-May

no idea! I'd imagine that WL movement will be driven by people w/ MD acceptances withdrawing, as well as some people choosing other DO schools. That tends to pick up at the end of the month, so I can't imagine movement will start until like Mid-May

Yea i was just hoping for something this week bc last yr this thread had movement on 4/20 :/

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sitting on my rotation right now and would love to kill time talking about them.

In general: they vary A LOT. Some you get good residents and attendings who teach and include you as a part of them team. Other times you rotate for 8 weeks and they don’t even know your name but they’re still expected to evaluate you. I, and others, think that clinical rotations are were DO schools differ greatly from MD schools. You get a sense of what rotations are good or not from the classes above you and try to go there, but sometimes you end up in a bad one and just have to make the best of it for 4 weeks. It’s mostly true that you get out of a rotation what you put into it, but there are sometimes that no matter what you do you’ll never get above a 5/7 on evaluations or feel comfortable asking for a letter or feel like you learned anything. Grades are Pass/High Pass/Honors. You need a 6/7 on evaluation and a 110 on the COMAT (shelf) for High Pass, then a 115 on the COMAT and 6/7 eval to get Honors. 110 is 84th percentile and 115 is 93rd percentile.

Another user in the previous pages mentioned a lot about rotation sites and I agree. The expansion of MD schools rotations has made it harder for the school to hold onto really good quality rotations. Right now I would say they are “alright”. If you have some specific questions I can try and answer them! Like scheduling, what sites are available, the process of getting them etc.
Thank you so much! Seems like it is very difficult to get honors... What would you suggest to make the most out of our rotations?

I, and others, think that clinical rotations are were DO schools differ greatly from MD schools.

Can you elaborate on this, in terms of what you'd get at an MD school that would be different than your experience?

Accepted also off WL

A off the Waitlist!! LETS GO

did you all hear back an hour ago? trying to figure out if i may still hear back at some point today.

Congrats to those accepted! Can u guys say when u interviewed and got WLed im dying over here

II in February, Interviewed March 3, waitlisted March 15 (lol), A today (old westbury)

Congrats to those accepted! Can u guys say when u interviewed and got WLed im dying over here
II in November,
Interviewed in January,
Wait-listed in February,
Accepted today. 🙏

II in February, Interviewed March 3, waitlisted March 15 (lol), A today (old westbury)
Was waitlisted on March 15 as well. I guess there is still ranking system even they said it’s not ranked.

Interviewed in october and it took them 4 months to WL me in january they rly killing me

• Care
I was also accepted today off the WL. Interviewed 3/17, WL on 4/1. OW campus.

Congratulations guys! Looks like WL movement did start after all, similar in time line with last few years. I wonder when the next round will be.

Thank you so much! Seems like it is very difficult to get honors... What would you suggest to make the most out of our rotations?
Just try to learn Step 2/COMLEX 2 relevant information and appear interested in the field even if you aren’t. On the teams where you have a good relationship with the residents or attendings and feel like they pay attention to you ask for letters or see if there are case reports to do. Some places will try and waste your time so just be mentally prepared for this and all the busy work they like to give. If you try hard, seem interested and don’t actively slack so hard they notice it’s not too hard to get a 5-6/7. Some rotations there is no hope in getting above a 5/7 and you’ll hear which ones from the class above you.
Personally honors has been difficult for me to get, I know some classmates are getting it pretty frequently and the admin claims about 10% of the class, around 30 people, get it each rotation which seems kinda high. The COMATs differ in difficulty but getting that 115 is definitely the limiting factor for me most of the time.

Can you elaborate on this, in terms of what you'd get at an MD school that would be different than your experience?
One thing is MD schools all have a home institution, a home hospital connected to the school. I think these hospitals are more interested in teaching and training their medical students so they have competent and good residents at the end of school. Additionally those hospitals don’t usually take many, if any, students from other schools so your rotations are probably less crowded there. I haven’t been on a rotation where I was the only school there. A lot of the rotations in the Queens/Brooklyn area there are students from the Caribbean schools, other DO schools. On my IM and Surg rotation especially I was 1 of like 12-20 students which makes it rough to get noticed and have a decent letter of rec cause everyone else is going to be asking for it too. Some of these hospitals it is a whole business to have students there and the Caribbean schools spend millions securing spots for their students. I can’t blame them it’s competitive and a chokepoint in the training to get all your students through.

This trouble carries over to 4th year as well. Since we don’t have a home institution we have to apply for rotations through our “partner hospitals” which were extremely limited. And the bulk of our rotations are expected to come from VSLO, which is a national application service for students doing electives. 15$ per app and you just kinda shoot your shot and hope for the best since people from all over the country are applying. I know some MD students use this as well, but at least at my school most people are hoping for like 2-6 acceptances on VSLO, which can be competitive. Or you can contact doctors you know and set up your own rotation. In general, I think that as a DO student, especially in NY, you have to hustle during 3rd and 4th year compared to our MD colleagues, at least from what I’ve heard from their experience.

I am sure there is more to say about it and I could go on and on about the differences between MD and DO schools, but either path leads to being a doctor. It’s competitive out there and I just hope everyone gives themselves the best shot at succeeding.

One thing is MD schools all have a home institution, a home hospital connected to the school. I think these hospitals are more interested in teaching and training their medical students so they have competent and good residents at the end of school. Additionally those hospitals don’t usually take many, if any, students from other schools so your rotations are probably less crowded there. I haven’t been on a rotation where I was the only school there. A lot of the rotations in the Queens/Brooklyn area there are students from the Caribbean schools, other DO schools. On my IM and Surg rotation especially I was 1 of like 12-20 students which makes it rough to get noticed and have a decent letter of rec cause everyone else is going to be asking for it too. Some of these hospitals it is a whole business to have students there and the Caribbean schools spend millions securing spots for their students. I can’t blame them it’s competitive and a chokepoint in the training to get all your students through.

This trouble carries over to 4th year as well. Since we don’t have a home institution we have to apply for rotations through our “partner hospitals” which were extremely limited. And the bulk of our rotations are expected to come from VSLO, which is a national application service for students doing electives. 15$ per app and you just kinda shoot your shot and hope for the best since people from all over the country are applying. I know some MD students use this as well, but at least at my school most people are hoping for like 2-6 acceptances on VSLO, which can be competitive. Or you can contact doctors you know and set up your own rotation. In general, I think that as a DO student, especially in NY, you have to hustle during 3rd and 4th year compared to our MD colleagues, at least from what I’ve heard from their experience.

I am sure there is more to say about it and I could go on and on about the differences between MD and DO schools, but either path leads to being a doctor. It’s competitive out there and I just hope everyone gives themselves the best shot at succeeding.
Thank you for the info
I see that rotation spots are extremely limited.
My concern is whether at the end of the day, were ALL the students able to secure rotation spots?

Also what is the grading for the first two years?

If you don’t mind me asking, which locations were you able to do your rotations currently? Did you get your top choices? Is it at one spot or at several campus?

And how was your experience with VSLO?

For core rotations, yea all students were able to secure rotation spots. Some had their sites changed last minute or had to do online and are having to do in-person next year because of last minute site cancellations, but all the students that I know of have gotten the required rotations.

Grading the first two years is P/F/Honors. You get one grade for the whole semester. Honors is the top 20% or top 10% (can't remember/might've changed) of the class based on grade percentage. There are some previous messages in this thread from a 2nd year talking about this more.

I don't want to dox myself to any admins or co-students who are on here so I will just say that I have been doing most of my rotations in Brooklyn and Queens area. Some of the sites that are available in this area are: Flushing Hospital, Queens Hospital Center, Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, Brookdale Medical Center, Coney Island, Maimonides, Forest Hills Medical Center, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center. I can give you a more comprehensive list if you want? Not all specialties are available at each site, like I think Queens Hospital only has surgery, psych and IM. I definitely did not get my top choices. January of 2nd year you rank them all and then they run an "algorithm" to choose them for you. You can choose to do them at one spot if you prefer that, but that isn't available at every site, for instance Jamaica is ONLY for people doing all their rotations there.

VSLO so far has been a little challenging. I only have 1 acceptance so far and it is for something after match day to fill a hole in my schedule. A lot of places just opened up applications so I am hoping that they haven't filled up quickly as I sent out my applications recently. I will refer you to this reddit thread on the matter:

Last edited:
  • Love
Let's manifest the WL movement this week my friends 😤😤

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed in Sept and have been waitlisted since January. I sent in an LOI in January a week before I got waitlisted. I think my chances of getting off the waitlist are low since I wasn't accepted in the first round of movement last week. Should I send an update letter?

I interviewed in Sept and have been waitlisted since January. I sent in an LOI in January a week before I got waitlisted. I think my chances of getting off the waitlist are low since I wasn't accepted in the first round of movement last week. Should I send an update letter?

Kind of in similar boat, interviewed oct waitlisted jan sent my LOI as soon as i got waitlisted .. was surprised to see them accept ppl who interviewed late in the cycle and got WLed later, just wonder what order they are doing things in and if i have no chances. I know people say theres a lot of WL movement but with sending in a full LOI i thought it would have some impact but i guess not lmao

• Care
  • Sad
Kind of in similar boat, interviewed oct waitlisted jan sent my LOI as soon as i got waitlisted .. was surprised to see them accept ppl who interviewed late in the cycle and got WLed later, just wonder what order they are doing things in and if i have no chances. I know people say theres a lot of WL movement but with sending in a full LOI i thought it would have some impact but i guess not lmao
I feel you v.v, just have to hurry up and keep waiting I guess.

Yeah it seems like they haven't accepted people who got waitlisted in Jan yet. Most of the people who got accepted were waitlisted in Feb - March.
Based on last year's thread, after the first round, the next movement occurred in mid-May. So we'll probably have to wait 2-3 more weeks till the next round of movement

Yeah it seems like they haven't accepted people who got waitlisted in Jan yet. Most of the people who got accepted were waitlisted in Feb - March.
Based on last year's thread, after the first round, the next movement occurred in mid-May. So we'll probably have to wait 2-3 more weeks till the next round of movement
@10-13 got accepted from a January interview!
I have no idea how they're making their decisions...honestly the relatively few # of people who got accepted a few days ago has me worried :(

Edit: Oops I misread your original post! But my point still stands I'm scared as heck :((((((((

Last edited:
I don’t know how they determine who get accepted off the waitlist either. Adcom said they will review waitlisted applicants again later to make a decision. So I feel like even this isn’t a ranked waitlist, there’s still “ranking” involved. I’m really worried that my waitlist will be a soft rejection from them lol. Oh well, hopefully we will be seeing more movement soon! Manifesting good vibes!

• Care
I don’t know how they determine who get accepted off the waitlist either. Adcom said they will review waitlisted applicants again later to make a decision. So I feel like even this isn’t a ranked waitlist, there’s still “ranking” involved. I’m really worried that my waitlist will be a soft rejection from them lol. Oh well, hopefully we will be seeing more movement soon! Manifesting good vibes!

Getting the vibes that its ranked too :/

• Care
I am hopeful there will be more WL movement after the May deadlines for narrowing down your As and all. I think that those people that were lucky enough to get off the WL last week were probably top applicants that either completed later or were just chosen for interview later? Can't be sure but im holding onto hope. There were so few compared to last year that I wonder if most people with As to NYIT are planning to enroll or if people are holding some As in hopes of getting financial aid packages at different schools.

I am hopeful there will be more WL movement after the May deadlines for narrowing down your As and all. I think that those people that were lucky enough to get off the WL last week were probably top applicants that either completed later or were just chosen for interview later? Can't be sure but im holding onto hope. There were so few compared to last year that I wonder if most people with As to NYIT are planning to enroll or if people are holding some As in hopes of getting financial aid packages at different schools.
Guys let’s remember not every premed student is on SDN telling you if they got off the WL or not. So please take everything that’s said on here with a grain of salt

Does anyone else receive an email about their 1-year online M.S. program?

Guys let’s remember not every premed student is on SDN telling you if they got off the WL or not. So please take everything that’s said on here with a grain of salt
That's definitely true, but we can also assume that they take people off the WL in batches. We've only seen one burst of people on this thread get off the WL, so I think it's still safe to assume that they've only done one round of admissions off the WL so far and that there'll probably be at least one or two (albeit maybe smaller) batches coming in the next few weeks.