2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Transitional is what they call a TRI (traditional rotating internship) — it’s just one year , and then yes those applicants have to reapply for another program in any speciality. They probably didn’t match into a full residency, or they applied to a transitional program because they weren’t sure what they wanted and want to use that year later to match into something else more competitive. Most residencies in most specialities will give you some (if not all) credit towards residency requirements for doing a transitional program, but not all (like anesthesia would count a transitional program as year 1 towards their 4 year requirement, but neurosurgery or emergency medicine might not).

Preliminary year can usually be in medicine, surgery, peds, sometimes even other specialities. Prelim year is needed for specialities like radiology, Derm, neuro anesthesia, etc. The first year (intern year) can be a “preliminary” year in either medicine, or surgery, or even pediatrics at one hospital, and then the specialty residency can start in another hospital. People who apply to a speciality like anesthesia for example, apply for a preliminary year in medicine or peds or surgery at many programs, but they also apply for anesthesia separately (so it’s like you double apply). You can match prelim year and not match anesthesia, or you can match anesthesia and not the prelim year, with the goal being is you have to match both at the same time to get a “full match.” If you match anesthesia (years 2-4), but no prelim year, you can’t really start your anesthesia program if you don’t do a prelim year first, so you may lose that anesthesia spot.
If you match just the prelim year, that’s great, because you have somewhere to go right away in July. It can count towards a primary care residency in medicine or a subspecialty like anesthesia. But if you only match prelim and not the subspecialty, it means you still have to apply for your speciality again during prelim year, and then you would just start the speciality like anesthesia that following July, so you wouldn’t really lose time, it just would suck to apply for residency, while you’re doing residency, because you’re so busy.

Some speciality programs will accept a “transitional” or TRI year instead of a prelim year to count as the intern year. They are pretty much equivalent except that a transitional year has many random rotations in different fields like surgery, medicine, peds, family medicine, ob, etc. In the DO world, a “TRI” used to exist but now after the merger all the old programs that were called TRI’s have become transitional programs (what it’s known as in the MD world). The goal of the TRI or transitional year is to expose you to different rotations and make you more well-rounded. For example a friend of mine who matched into Ophthalmology, did a transitional year at a community hospital because it was easier, closer to home, and she got to do peds and OB and some outpatient specialty clinic. She could have ranked a competitive work-horse difficult preliminary medicine program but she didn’t want to work crazy hours that first year lol, so instead ranked an easier transitional program, to be her intern year. Either way, ACGME accepts it and so did her Ophthalmology program, which she would start the following year.

The match list is confusing I know, so basically medicine preliminary is where people matched to their medicine preliminary year first (intern year or PGY-1) in one hospital, and then they will start they PGY-2 in another hospital program like Derm, rads, etc.

Most people, to make things easier, will hope to match into and apply however for “categorical” programs. For example, you can apply to anesthesia and do all four years in one hospital program (do your medicine or surgery or peds year in the same hospital as your anesthesia program). For categorical programs, you just match into “anesthesia” and it’s assumed you are doing your preliminary intern year in medicine or surgery or whatever, in that same hospital.

As for medicine primary, I am not 100% sure but I think what it is, is that there are some specific internal medicine programs that focus only on primary care and outpatient (like NYU has internal medicine primary care tracks), so, that is what the Medicine primary is (most likely).

hope that helps!

Some more info for you :)

General info:

And prelim vs transitional:

And an excellent article about TRI:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the information.

Another Question:
I am assuming PGY2 positions for this year were filled by members of the Class of 2021?
I counted 27 PGY2 positions filled this year but when I looked at last year match list on NYIT website, I counted 15 Medicine-Prelim, 1 OBGYN Prelim, 3 surgery-prelim, and 31 transitional, for a total of 50 spots where applicants (definitely?) have to reapply in their second year.
if so, only 27/50 or (27/46, removing surgery-prelim and ob/gyn pre-lim - do they have guaranteed spots for their final years?) match?
what will happen to those without matches in second year? like, I am seeing about 20 students from class of 2021 with nowhere to go after finishing the first year.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all the information.

Another Question:
I am assuming PGY2 positions for this year were filled by members of the Class of 2021?
I counted 27 PGY2 positions filled this year but when I looked at last year match list on NYIT website, I counted 15 Medicine-Prelim, 1 OBGYN Prelim, 3 surgery-prelim, and 31 transitional, for a total of 50 spots where applicants (definitely?) have to reapply in their second year.
if so, only 27/50 or (27/46, removing surgery-prelim and ob/gyn pre-lim - do they have guaranteed spots for their final years?) match?
what will happen to those without matches in second year? like, I am seeing about 20 students from class of 2021 with nowhere to go after finishing the first year.
NYCOM (unfortunately) never includes people in their match lists from previous classes. So, anything on this years match list is solely people from the class of 2022. If someone didn’t match last year, but
Matched a few days ago, they will not be included in this years match list or match statistics. That’s how they have always done it. So there’s no way to know. You just hope and assume the people who didn’t match anything last year, or who matched a one year program last year, will have found something this year by matching a few days ago (but they wouldn’t be included in the match list for this year’s class).

Also, those transitional year numbers for this year… it may be people who only matched a transitional program, but also maybe they also matched an advanced program too, and the school just made a separate category for them who matched into a prestigious transitional as well. I’m not sure….
Lol. In the past, if someone matched a full program (let’s say transitional and then radiology), their name appears as just radiology with an asterisk that they matched a prelim year, like here, and the transitional year was listed as separate altogether :

But it’s confusing I know! In the past like five or more years ago, they used to publish match lists with peoples names and it was more clear, it would say if it was just a TRI or transitional year or a prelim WITH a connected matched speciality, or just a one year program, like here, found on the web, you can see these match list are more interpretable, where the newer lists are more confusing and less transparent lol.
So basically, what we have seen over the years is that the older match lists were much more organized than the newer ones, for whatever reason. Either way, the school matches really well, but the match statistics and lists are not always 100% of the story.

Attachments

• nycom2007.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 95
  • nycom-match-list-2006.pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 3 users
According to fb group, class size is at ~194/295

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think someone said earlier that the class was already filled :/
That what the adcom told me. Judging from how the number in the fb group keep on going up, that must be true. 😞 my chance of getting off waitlist is getting slimmer lol.

Hang in there, we'll know once we get to end of April.

Reactions: 2 users
That what the adcom told me. Judging from how the number in the fb group keep on going up, that must be true. 😞 my chance of getting off waitlist is getting slimmer lol.
I know people who have gotten a call like the day before classes, to start lol. The waitlist is real and it does happen (some people drop acceptance or learn they may have been accepted to an MD school late in the game), so, don’t lose hope!

NYCOM (unfortunately) never includes people in their match lists from previous classes. So, anything on this years match list is solely people from the class of 2022. If someone didn’t match last year, but
Matched a few days ago, they will not be included in this years match list or match statistics. That’s how they have always done it. So there’s no way to know. You just hope and assume the people who didn’t match anything last year, or who matched a one year program last year, will have found something this year by matching a few days ago (but they wouldn’t be included in the match list for this year’s class).

Also, those transitional year numbers for this year… it may be people who only matched a transitional program, but also maybe they also matched an advanced program too, and the school just made a separate category for them who matched into a prestigious transitional as well. I’m not sure….
Lol. In the past, if someone matched a full program (let’s say transitional and then radiology), their name appears as just radiology with an asterisk that they matched a prelim year, like here, and the transitional year was listed as separate altogether :

But it’s confusing I know! In the past like five or more years ago, they used to publish match lists with peoples names and it was more clear, it would say if it was just a TRI or transitional year or a prelim WITH a connected matched speciality, or just a one year program, like here, found on the web, you can see these match list are more interpretable, where the newer lists are more confusing and less transparent lol.
So basically, what we have seen over the years is that the older match lists were much more organized than the newer ones, for whatever reason. Either way, the school matches really well, but the match statistics and lists are not always 100% of the story.
Could you tell me more about rotation sites? I am sure things might have changed since you graduated but when you were a student for third year, do students stay in one hospital or rotate at several hospitals? what about for fourth year?
do students get to choose and make a ranking list, or is the process random/lottery?

Could you tell me more about rotation sites? I am sure things might have changed since you graduated but when you were a student for third year, do students stay in one hospital or rotate at several hospitals? what about for fourth year?
do students get to choose and make a ranking list, or is the process random/lottery?
Things have changed a lot. 5-10 yrs ago and back, students for third year rotated all over Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. The exceptions being of course no rotations at major MD school affiliated hospitals. No rotations to my knowledge ever existed (in past 10-15 years anyway) in Staten Island or Manhattan. Plenty of rotations used to exist in upstate NY and some in CT and plenty in NJ. Things over the years however became tough with MD schools expanding / being taken over by hospital networks. For example, some hospitals in queens simply closed. NSLIJ / northwell opened a Med school, bought up a lot of Long Island hospitals, and decreased many sites to rotate at. Mt Sinai bought a hospital in queens. Lutheran became NYU Brooklyn, which got rid of a lot of rotation spots; Maimonides became closely affiliated with Einstein and later Downstate, also decreasing the number of rotation spots. More rotations were added however at brookdale and Jamaica and catholic hospitals of LI. Also, New Jersey opened a new med school, and with all of NJ’s different hospital mergers (too many to keep track of), those hospitals got rid of the jersey regional campus program for our students. Stony brook also bought a few hospitals on Long Island which limited the number of spots to rotate at. St Barnabas became the main affiliate of CUNY med school and thus rotations there were decreased as well. NUMC on Long Island also lost spots, giving some to stony brook, because stony brook lost Winthrop, which became NYU.

In the past, you could apply and be selected for/or interview at a regional program (thus spend a whole year at one hospital), and many of these hospitals had awesome DO residencies, some of them even dually accredited with ACGME. Or, some people chose to rotate at different hospitals, and get different exposures (but more moving around) which would mean someone submitted a preference sheet (rank list) kinda like a mini-match. Some people could spend everything in the nyc - Long Island area, while others could hop around from upstate then Brooklyn then Long Island then Buffalo, etc—it was random but the office and software tried to help people with their preferences list. People of course switched back and forth with one another, it was possible. Touro opening two DO schools in NY also decreased some spots as well, as they started to send their students to our hospitals (very few though).

Fourth year was always up to you and easy to schedule, either through the official VSAS or the school’s affiliated hospitals, just had to email the rotations and ask in advance, or you could rotate at a doc’s office you knew in the area, DO preferably, and inform the school. (Well, scheduling fourth year could be annoying, but the school always always helped find someone a rotation in fourth year if needed, otherwise pretty easy to find your own). There used to be some requirements like ambulatory , ER, radiology, doing some sub-Internships in x y and z but dunno if that’s changed.
With so many rotation sites and spots either lost or decreased over the years, it’s gotten really tough for third year, but more spots increased at other Brooklyn and queens hospitals which used to take less students, so it kind of evens out. Either way, people match well and matching is all up to the individual, but of course losing rotation spots at hospitals that were primary DO hospitals and the school’s previous main affiliate, means less of a chance to get close with the program director, work with residents, etc. maybe some current students can chime in, but I have heard the quality of third year rotations has gone down a bit, because of the loss of some major hospital systems.
I think the main thing to remember is, in the past, having DO residencies ( AOA only) was actually good, because students who wanted a particular DO program at a nycom affiliated hospital , were almost guaranteed to get it. And if there were spots left open after the match, the school would work behind the scenes to help students be placed there. The merger and loss of DO residencies has not really benefited every single student, bc now they compete with MDs, whether it be for FM at the local community hospital, or Derm.
So, even though DO’s matched well this year, having one single match is less of a guarantee that every single student will be placed if they don’t match (which is scary, at the end of the day, you want to match or be placed somewhere so you can continue with residency!) Since the school lost many of the residency programs it started at hospitals in Long Island, Brooklyn, and Queens, it lost that connection, which trickles down to third year rotations—hospitals now give those spots to MD students if the hospital is now owned by an MD school or major academic name like Northwell, for example.

Anyways, the sky is not falling, NYCOM students are very well known and respected in the NY area, DOs are continuing to do well, it just means there is much less room for error/failures and DOs have to apply very broadly for match (not just five programs like in the past if they wanted only a locally affiliated DO program
). It’s harder now, because directly competing with MD students in one match means more pressure to take USMLE in addition to COMLEX. Anyways, you guys have a lot of time before any of that, but just know things have changed, it became harder, but not necessarily worse.

please excuse the typos :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Things have changed a lot. 5-10 yrs ago and back, students for third year rotated all over Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. The exceptions being of course no rotations at major MD school affiliated hospitals. No rotations to my knowledge ever existed (in past 10-15 years anyway) in Staten Island or Manhattan. Plenty of rotations used to exist in upstate NY and some in CT and plenty in NJ. Things over the years however became tough with MD schools expanding / being taken over by hospital networks. For example, some hospitals in queens simply closed. NSLIJ / northwell opened a Med school, bought up a lot of Long Island hospitals, and decreased many sites to rotate at. Mt Sinai bought a hospital in queens. Lutheran became NYU Brooklyn, which got rid of a lot of rotation spots; Maimonides became closely affiliated with Einstein and later Downstate, also decreasing the number of rotation spots. More rotations were added however at brookdale and Jamaica and catholic hospitals of LI. Also, New Jersey opened a new med school, and with all of NJ’s different hospital mergers (too many to keep track of), those hospitals got rid of the jersey regional campus program for our students. Stony brook also bought a few hospitals on Long Island which limited the number of spots to rotate at. St Barnabas became the main affiliate of CUNY med school and thus rotations there were decreased as well. NUMC on Long Island also lost spots, giving some to stony brook, because stony brook lost Winthrop, which became NYU.

In the past, you could apply and be selected for/or interview at a regional program (thus spend a whole year at one hospital), and many of these hospitals had awesome DO residencies, some of them even dually accredited with ACGME. Or, some people chose to rotate at different hospitals, and get different exposures (but more moving around) which would mean someone submitted a preference sheet (rank list) kinda like a mini-match. Some people could spend everything in the nyc - Long Island area, while others could hop around from upstate then Brooklyn then Long Island then Buffalo, etc—it was random but the office and software tried to help people with their preferences list. People of course switched back and forth with one another, it was possible. Touro opening two DO schools in NY also decreased some spots as well, as they started to send their students to our hospitals (very few though).

Fourth year was always up to you and easy to schedule, either through the official VSAS or the school’s affiliated hospitals, just had to email the rotations and ask in advance, or you could rotate at a doc’s office you knew in the area, DO preferably, and inform the school. (Well, scheduling fourth year could be annoying, but the school always always helped find someone a rotation in fourth year if needed, otherwise pretty easy to find your own). There used to be some requirements like ambulatory , ER, radiology, doing some sub-Internships in x y and z but dunno if that’s changed.
With so many rotation sites and spots either lost or decreased over the years, it’s gotten really tough for third year, but more spots increased at other Brooklyn and queens hospitals which used to take less students, so it kind of evens out. Either way, people match well and matching is all up to the individual, but of course losing rotation spots at hospitals that were primary DO hospitals and the school’s previous main affiliate, means less of a chance to get close with the program director, work with residents, etc. maybe some current students can chime in, but I have heard the quality of third year rotations has gone down a bit, because of the loss of some major hospital systems.
I think the main thing to remember is, in the past, having DO residencies ( AOA only) was actually good, because students who wanted a particular DO program at a nycom affiliated hospital , were almost guaranteed to get it. And if there were spots left open after the match, the school would work behind the scenes to help students be placed there. The merger and loss of DO residencies has not really benefited every single student, bc now they compete with MDs, whether it be for FM at the local community hospital, or Derm.
So, even though DO’s matched well this year, having one single match is less of a guarantee that every single student will be placed if they don’t match (which is scary, at the end of the day, you want to match or be placed somewhere so you can continue with residency!) Since the school lost many of the residency programs it started at hospitals in Long Island, Brooklyn, and Queens, it lost that connection, which trickles down to third year rotations—hospitals now give those spots to MD students if the hospital is now owned by an MD school or major academic name like Northwell, for example.

Anyways, the sky is not falling, NYCOM students are very well known and respected in the NY area, DOs are continuing to do well, it just means there is much less room for error/failures and DOs have to apply very broadly for match (not just five programs like in the past if they wanted only a locally affiliated DO program
). It’s harder now, because directly competing with MD students in one match means more pressure to take USMLE in addition to COMLEX. Anyways, you guys have a lot of time before any of that, but just know things have changed, it became harder, but not necessarily worse.

please excuse the typos :)
Thank you for the information!
this is according to nyitcom regarding their clinical rotation sites. Do most of the places seem familiar to you back when you were a student?

I don't really understand how the class fills in March lol, is there just not gonna be WL movement?

Is there anyone here who can explain the financial aid process for nyit? I was unable to attend the seminar and I am very confused about what I have to do other than filling out FAFSA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone here who can explain the financial aid process for nyit? I was unable to attend the seminar and I am very confused about what I have to do other than filling out FAFSA.
Complete: Entrance Counseling, MPN, and the Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment.

Silence since applying in August. Also sent an update in January. Anyone else?

I think it's also because the applicant pool increased by about 20% this cycle but the amount of seats are still the same, sadly.

Did anyone get off the post interview WL yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get off the post interview WL yet?
I don’t think they started the WL movement yet. I think it begins towards the end of April

If anyone reading this is still holding an A to this school but knows they wont be going here, id be super duper appreciative if youd let the school know sooner than later :)
- your friendly WL-ed applicant who is trying to hold out hope for this cycle

Reactions: 8 users
Got the same email. Oh well. Maybe next cycle (unless my WCU interview next week yields an A. An internet user can dream lol).

• Care
Got the “interview cycle concluded” AKA Pre-II R email. OOS, complete in September.

Good luck to everyone else!

lol 'cycle concluded' makes me think minimal WL movement... would love thoughts from any and all

lol 'cycle concluded' makes me think minimal WL movement... would love thoughts from any and all
im pretty sure every year they say something along the lines of "cycle concluded" just to say they aren't extending interviews. They've had good WL movement (at least the last two years based on the sdn threads) and they used similar wording

im pretty sure every year they say something along the lines of "cycle concluded" just to say they aren't extending interviews. They've had good WL movement (at least the last two years based on the sdn threads) and they used similar wording
awesome thanks! was on the WL last year and got a generic 'cycle concluded' email in July/aug, wasn't sure if it was THAT one...

thanks!

For those accepted or currently enrolled at NYITCOM (Long Island), do you know if classes are still scheduled to be asynchronous next year?
That will 99% be the way it is forever. Its super convenient imo.

Does anyone think we’ll hear back about the WL this week? 👀

I have a feeling you may have to wait until first week of May.
MD candidates must narrow down to one choice by end of April and I am pretty sure many applicants here are waiting to hear back from waitlisted MD schools and are holding the spot at nyit for the time being.

I have a feeling you may have to wait until first week of May.
MD candidates must narrow down to one choice by end of April and I am pretty sure many applicants here are waiting to hear back from waitlisted MD schools and are holding the spot at nyit for the time being.
Is there such a deadline for multiple DO accepted students?

Is there such a deadline for multiple DO accepted students?
I believe by Mid May (15?), you must narrow down to one choice.
Between now and mid may, DO schools will be informed by aacomas if you have more than one DO acceptances, but the schools won’t know and won’t be able to communicate with one another.
For example, DO school 1 and DO school 2 will know applicant xyz have two acceptances, but won’t know which ones.

I am pretty hopeful we’ll see the initial movement this week. According to the last two years (sdn pages), WL movement began on April 15th in 2020 and April 20th last year. Hoping the trend continues

I got accepted at another DO school, they gave me a 2 week deadline so I put the deposit down to secure a seat. However, I greatly prefer to attend NYITCOM and as of now am on a post interview WL. Would me putting down my deposit at the other school jeopardize my chances of a NYITCOM acceptance?

I got accepted at another DO school, they gave me a 2 week deadline so I put the deposit down to secure a seat. However, I greatly prefer to attend NYITCOM and as of now am on a post interview WL. Would me putting down my deposit at the other school jeopardize my chances of a NYITCOM acceptance?
No. I don’t think schools communicate with each other.

No. I don’t think schools communicate with each other.
On May 15 AACOMAS lets all DO schools know which students are holding acceptances at other places which is what led me to this question lol. Hopefully im just overthinking it.

What your guys thought on sending a second letter of intent a couple of months after the initial one?

What your guys thought on sending a second letter of intent a couple of months after the initial one?
I think just the one is enough and you can send in update letters instead if you have anything to update