NYU vs. Mt. Sinai vs. Cornell vs. Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

premed bedhead

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how any or all of these schools compare?

I'm an CA resident and am trying to choose 2-3 of these schools to apply to. I don't have any clinical research experience but have a lot of public health experience (volunteering and research).

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to all four last time I applied, but I only interviewed at NYU and Einstein, so I'll talk about those.

NYU has a great set of hospitals to do rotations through, and they're all within a small radius of the school. Bellevue is like a block away and serves both the best in the world (literally... people from other countries fly in to be treated there) and some of the worst (as it is a public hospital in NYC). You then have the private hospital actually attached to the school, and then the VA hospital down the street.

Einstein's hospitals are a little more spread out and not quite as prestigious. I was a little afraid of my interview in the hospital closest to the school.

NYU's freshman housing kinda sucks... it's worse than the dorms I lived in in undergrad anyway. Einstein has apartments for all years, and they seem better, but I've heard some horror stories about housing there (mostly dealing with the office). Einstein's students seem very happy about the fact that their cadavers are pre-dissected, but both schools have a ratio of like 4:1. NYU, if I remember correctly, does rotations where one set will dissect a system, and then teach it to the other set. Seems like a unique way to learn anatomy.

Overall, the programs both seem pretty good, though I think I would prefer to go to NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, mvenus929.

Does anyone know which school(s) pays more attention to a well-rounded applicant, instead of just looking at stats? While we're at it, I'll add Columbia to that list too.

Thanks for the response, mvenus929.

Does anyone know which school(s) pays more attention to a well-rounded applicant, instead of just looking at stats? While we're at it, I'll add Columbia to that list too.

Who knows anymore?

Last edited:
NYU & Mt Sinai are notorious for being more stats driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.