Official 2013-2014 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The real conundrums and people who need help are those with middle range programs where one might actually be able to find some distinction that matters.

Alright, jdh71, you've inspired me to ask...

I'm struggling between Brown and Temple for my #2 and #3. How big is the difference in their quality of training, reputation, fellowship opportunities, quality of life, resident happiness? Are they more or less in the same tier, or is one clearly better than the other?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm struggling between Brown and Temple for my #2 and #3. How big is the difference in their quality of training, reputation, fellowship opportunities, quality of life, resident happiness? Are they more or less in the same tier, or is one clearly better than the other?
Right or wrong, brown has the better national rep.

They are more or less of a similar tier. In recent years Brown has been more interesting to me of the two simply because of the good gossip I hear about the general IM training - sounds like it's a nice program to be in. Though lots of people don't care for RI. Temple isn't kind of an inner city hospital, it's in "da Hood" - some people want that experience (obviously it will cut BOTH ways) - but you probably won't be able to live close to work but Philly is kind of a cool town overall even if I'd never want to live there permanently.

Dollars to doughnuts . . . I like Brown better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Was looking for the skinny on Cornell/NYP, which has only previously been compared to Vandy in this thread. I liked the residents, love NYC, but I've gotten mixed reviews from friends who also interviewed there. One resident during the pre-interview dinner stated that it was not a program where your workload changes as the years go on. I took this to mean you work like an intern all three years. I've heard similar things from others. It also seems like people don't make it to conferences as often as in other programs. Location aside, would you still rank this over a program like Brown or Vandy? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
No, Rochester truly is a dead zone. I could convince myself to do it because I've spent many years in small Midwestern cities, but I have no viable defense when my significant other starts to ask questions.

If he really likes Portland, by all means, but I'll never understand why people dump on St. Louis, Durham, New Haven and the like. If someone can't figure out how to stay entertained in any city with a population over 100,000 and a major undergraduate campus or two to boot, the problem is entirely with his own imagination. They have restaurants, bars, music, museums, pro sports, outdoor activities, etc., in St. Louis. They might have more in Portland (minus the pro sports), and nothing comes remotely close to New York, but how much of that can he reasonably expect to take in? Or, in New York and to a lesser extent in San Diego, how much will he be able to afford?

I'm sure many people would be happy in Portland. I'm also sure that a lot of people who think some other place is a dump would be happy in said dump as well once they figured out their niche in the landfill. People adjust.

Yes, well, one person's trash is another man's treasure, etc etc. I will say that you have more free time in residency than you'd think; it's not all work, just like 95%. During the occasional golden weekends, it's nice to have awesome hiking within a 30 minute drive of where you live (as one has in Portland), or the beach and awesome Mexican food (as one has in SD) to enjoy on your day off rather than visiting abandoned buildings and drinking Schlafly in St. Louis. You can only visit the arch so many times, and there are usually too many bearded ladies clinching to tickets to get to a Cardinals game. Yes, you can stay entertained there; I can also stay decently entertained in the suburb of 70,000 people in which I grew up, but that doesn't mean I prefer it to Chicago, where I live now. The entertainment is much, much better in all the other cities the "OP" mentions.

Also, FWIW, SD is totally affordable on a resident salary. I have a friend who lives in Hillcrest with a roomie on a $25k PhD stipend and while her place and lifestyle is Spartan, she's very far from starving. $50k might not get you a beach house in La Jolla, but the residents I met were very far from destitute.

Last edited:
Please need help.

Keep switching between UIC and MCW. Shooting for GI and midwest region.

MCW
program
pro: upcoming program, great research opportunity, nice pay, decent GI reputation, wonderful hospital, great culture and residents

UIC
pro: amazing PD, great GI reputation but took a hit with some attendings having left for Northshore and Loyola, near Chicago, renovating hospital, great culture and residents

PLEASE HELP. Basically, pursuing GI, which better UIC or MCW?

Please need help.

Keep switching between UIC and MCW. Shooting for GI and midwest region.

MCW
program
pro: upcoming program, great research opportunity, nice pay, decent GI reputation, wonderful hospital, great culture and residents

UIC
pro: amazing PD, great GI reputation but took a hit with some attendings having left for Northshore and Loyola, near Chicago, renovating hospital, great culture and residents

PLEASE HELP. Basically, pursuing GI, which better UIC or MCW?

No inside knowledge of MCW. But personally, UIC's GI dept is in too much flux for me to be comfortable going there if I were set on GI. I'd look elsewhere if that's what I was going for. Liked their categorical IM program, though.

Also - in regards to the last page - St. Louis is a certifiable s***hole.

Last edited:
No inside knowledge of MCW. But personally, UIC's GI dept is in too much flux for me to be comfortable going there if I were set on GI. I'd look elsewhere if that's what I was going for. Liked their categorical IM program, though.

Also - in regards to the last page - St. Louis is a certifiable s***hole.

"Like" the statement about St. Louis, not UIC for GI. They just got two new liver attendings to cover for the Loyola exodus of a few years back, and the liver service should exist again soon. You're right that things are in flux but they're moving in the right direction for sure

Hey guys, I'd like some input on my current rank order list. Some background:

My wife will be working out of Manhattan, and I would love to experience the city with her. My future goals are hospitalist with possible fellowships in geriatrics or pain & palliative care. It's unlikely I would want to do cards/GI/heme/onc.

1. Beth Israel
2. NSLIJ
3. Rutgers NJMS
4. Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
5. Lenox Hill
6. Temple
7-10. (let's hope it doesn't get this far)

My main worry is whether or not I would get great training to be a general Hospitalist. I don't know whether the true university programs I ranked after Beth Israel are "better" because of better teaching and patients, or better because of research opportunities. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

RWJ or Jeff, they are my top 2 but can't decide which one! interested in hospitalist maybe cards

I think VCU gives better training than CCF but in terms of fellowship matching, it's hands down CCF.
Thanks. I heard from another applicant who interviewed at temple that someone matched into Mayo for cards. Should I rank Temple as #1 considering that the match lists for Iowa and Maryland are not so attractive, most of them being in-house? How do these programs compare in terms of training and research opportunities? I am having a very tough time, inclined to put Temple as #1.

Thanks. I heard from another applicant who interviewed at temple that someone matched into Mayo for cards. Should I rank Temple as #1 considering that the match lists for Iowa and Maryland are not so attractive, most of them being in-house? How do these programs compare in terms of training and research opportunities? I am having a very tough time, inclined to put Temple as #1.

I don't know if I would do that if I were you. I don't know much about Iowa but between Temple and Maryland I'd probably go with Maryland. Just because someone matched into cards at Mayo from temple doesn't necessarily make it a better place. Overall the differences between the two programs are not HUGE and it's not crazy to rank temple above Maryland. I still think Maryland holds a slightly better national reputation.

Cliffs: Why Temple >> Drexel?

Hey all - long time lurker here. Also one of the undecided individuals who over-applied over-interviewed and is more confused than should be 3 days out from the certification deadline. I have some interest in rheumatology but procedural specialty would be fun as well.

That being said - I have done a couple searches and it seems that there is consensus that Drexel is not as competitive a program as Temple..

I interviewed at both, liked Drexel better (though the residents did seem tired), found it to be located in a nicer area. Both seem to match residents into decent fellowships. Both have intimidating class sizes.

My question - Why is Temple >>> Drexel? Am I missing something here??

Other debates going on in my head include
1) Stony Brook vs. RWJ vs. Westchester(haven't heard much about this program on the rank list chats in general)
2) UTMB vs Methodist Houston

Any and all (constructive) advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for help.

But, how to rank my last 3 programs. Again, I am sold on GI. OHSU vs SLU vs Indiana. Please let me know.

Thanks again for help.

But, how to rank my last 3 programs. Again, I am sold on GI. OHSU vs SLU vs Indiana. Please let me know.
Sorry. Meant to say Iowa vs SLU vs Indiana

I don't know if I would do that if I were you. I don't know much about Iowa but between Temple and Maryland I'd probably go with Maryland. Just because someone matched into cards at Mayo from temple doesn't necessarily make it a better place. Overall the differences between the two programs are not HUGE and it's not crazy to rank temple above Maryland. I still think Maryland holds a slightly better national reputation.

I'd agree with this.

Cliffs: Why Temple >> Drexel?

Hey all - long time lurker here. Also one of the undecided individuals who over-applied over-interviewed and is more confused than should be 3 days out from the certification deadline. I have some interest in rheumatology but procedural specialty would be fun as well.

That being said - I have done a couple searches and it seems that there is consensus that Drexel is not as competitive a program as Temple..

I interviewed at both, liked Drexel better (though the residents did seem tired), found it to be located in a nicer area. Both seem to match residents into decent fellowships. Both have intimidating class sizes.

My question - Why is Temple >>> Drexel? Am I missing something here??

Other debates going on in my head include
1) Stony Brook vs. RWJ vs. Westchester(haven't heard much about this program on the rank list chats in general)
2) UTMB vs Methodist Houston

Any and all (constructive) advice is appreciated!!

not taking location into account I'd say....

RWJ = Temple > Stony Brook = Drexel > Westchester (there's a reason you haven't heard much about it)

I've really stewed over my rank list for a while, mostly putting it off cause I don't want to think about it. But the time is approaching, so I'd appreciate any thoughts. Here's my tentative order:

1. MGH - I liked the program, including the set up of the Bigelow system, the good share of outpatient time, and had a good interaction with the residents. I wouldn't say it was my favorite program, but it was top 5 and the fact that it will make any fellowship opportunities that much easier makes me inclined to rank it number 1. That being said, I think my chances of being ranked to match are minuscule, so I feel it's a moot point.

2. UNC - I think this is the main source of my anxiety. I think my chances of matching here are exceedingly high. It's my home program and I really like it. I like the subspecialty inpatient organization, have gotten along super well with the residents, really like the attendings for the most part, etc etc. I also have family/friends/significant other in the area or within an afternoon's drive so that's a big factor as well. That being said, I just felt like I was ready to move on and get a new experience. I also worry about the fact that the program is a solid step below a few of the other programs near the top of my list.

3. Vanderbilt - Would probably be my number 1 if it wasn't for location and the fact that MGH is MGH. Has the subspecialty organization of UNC, block system, enjoyed the residents, new program director seemed very receptive to changes, good research opportunities and fellowship match. Just not sure if I like it so much more than UNC to move that much further away from my SO and family (we're talking 5-7 hours difference driving).

4. Duke - Was my number before interviews, but I just didn't love the program when I visited. Residents seemed a little overworked, the schedule is not very forgiving (daily admitting, q3 call on icu months, weekend call on consults). That being said, it's an ideal location for me; I love the fact that the residents seem so confident in managing any kind of patient early on and seemed really smart during conferences. I also had a good time with them at dinner and know a couple interns already. I've gone back and forth a dozen times, including ranking it 1, but my gut is steering me here.

5. UVA - Pretty similar to UNC in a lot of respects. Liked the fact that they're moving to 3+1. Overall residents seemed maybe a little happier than at UNC, but I think the differences are enough of a wash that I don't see myself ranking it higher than UNC.

6. Yale - Really liked this program, had great interviews, like the 4+2, curriculum, etc. But can I really spend the next 3 years in a city where I know no one and have to drive an hour to the airport and then fly another 2 hours to see my family/SO? I don't think I can.

7. JHH - Liked the autonomy and how confident the residents were. But I didn't have a great vibe with my interviewers; seemed kind of stuffy and serious. Residents were okay though. And it's Hopkins; can't deny the training. I guess I think JHH-Duke is analogous to UNC-UVA for me; felt similarly about both programs so location is kind of the trump card here.

Hey guys thanks for the words so far. I understand that where I put UNC is really important, so I guess my question is whether it would be foolish to leave it where it is over some of the programs below. Namely I'm wondering about ranking UNC above Duke since location is essentially the same. Am I overthinking things like call and admitting schedule when I'm going to be working hard wherever I go, and when it's only 3 years of my life? Am I going to have to work a lot harder outside of my clinical duties at UNC for similar fellowship/hospitalist gigs than I'd get coming from Duke? Thanks again for the advice. I realize I'll make out just fine no matter where I go, but I just wish I felt a little more confident in my list.

Just FYI. If your goal is GI, I'd recommend against going to UChicago. They lost their Bigwig IBD GI guy Hanhauer to Northwestern who was basically holding up the entire UoC GI program.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Hanauer was a huge loss and its unclear why he left but the rest of the people there are still top notch and world renowned. Still has a top 3 IBD program regardless. Is there a reason you believe that Hanauer was the only good thing about the GI program there?
The U Chicago GI program is still a good one, but it is not the same one it once was 10+ years ago. They still have solid IBD with Rubin.
That might be a reason to consider a high rank for fellowship there anytime soon, but just because big name person leaves doesn't make your internal medicine program somehow now mickey mouse university all of a sudden.

Thanks for looking out. They made sure I knew Hanauer was leaving during my time there. Chang and Rubin are still there, among MANY others in my area of interest. Now, why would you suggest completely avoiding UoC IM program? Its a little of an extreme recommendation. If I were applying for fellowship and wanted to work with Hanauer that's a different story and even then its still a little extreme. Care to elaborate on your suggestion?

Thanks for looking out. They made sure I knew Hanauer was leaving during my time there. Chang and Rubin are still there, among MANY others in my area of interest. Now, why would you suggest completely avoiding UoC IM program? Its a little of an extreme recommendation. If I were applying for fellowship and wanted to work with Hanauer that's a different story and even then its still a little extreme. Care to elaborate on your suggestion?

I never suggested completely avoiding UoC IM program. Reading comprehension fail?

Hey guys thanks for the words so far. I understand that where I put UNC is really important, so I guess my question is whether it would be foolish to leave it where it is over some of the programs below. Namely I'm wondering about ranking UNC above Duke since location is essentially the same. Am I overthinking things like call and admitting schedule when I'm going to be working hard wherever I go, and when it's only 3 years of my life? Am I going to have to work a lot harder outside of my clinical duties at UNC for similar fellowship/hospitalist gigs than I'd get coming from Duke? Thanks again for the advice. I realize I'll make out just fine no matter where I go, but I just wish I felt a little more confident in my list.
I also interviewed at both Duke and UNC and I felt like I connected with UNC much more than Duke and will therefore be ranking UNC higher than Duke. For me, it's much more about finding a place where I will be happy then about perceived name recognition. Another n=1 prospective from a fellow applicant.

I'd put VCU and Cincinnati above New Mexico for sure.

any particular reason? I felt cincy and VCU were the stronger academic programs but the city of cinci seemed terrible, although i didnt get a chance to explore the city alot maybe it was just the area the hotel was in?

any particular reason? I felt cincy and VCU were the stronger academic programs but the city of cinci seemed terrible, although i didnt get a chance to explore the city alot maybe it was just the area the hotel was in?

Because they are better programs. Cincy is not the greatest city in the world but it's the Garden of Eden compared to Albuquerque

Any thoughts on my list? I am currently planning on doing Pulm/CC, but will likely be going into academics regardless of specialty choice. I'm struggling the most with Baylor vs. UTSW. I would love to live in Dallas and have lots of friends there, but feel Baylor is more research-oriented, which will help with the fellowship match.

1. Duke
2. Baylor (don't really like Houston)
3. UTSW
4. UVA (family feel)
5. Cornell (fellowship match is very strong, but not sure about NYC)
6. UAB (Home program. Bama native so looking to go elsewhere)
7. Maryland
8. Yale
9. UC Davis
10. Tulane
11. Wisconsin (great program, but not looking to freeze my balls off)
12. USC (Los Angeles)

Any thoughts on my list? I am currently planning on doing Pulm/CC, but will likely be going into academics regardless of specialty choice. I'm struggling the most with Baylor vs. UTSW. I would love to live in Dallas and have lots of friends there, but feel Baylor is more research-oriented, which will help with the fellowship match.

1. Duke
3. UTSW
4. UVA (family feel)
7. Maryland
8. Yale
9. UC Davis
10. Tulane
12. USC (Los Angeles)

Swap Yale and Maryland. I believe Yale is a step up from Maryland as far as perceived strength/rep.
Swap UTSW and Baylor. It's not like UTSW is going to be hurting you at all for fellowship matches; I think it's fairly well established that UTSW is head honcho in Texas.
UCDavis is oddly "high" in comparison to the programs below it. But, I loved it when I interviewed there. You won't drop to 9, though.

Thanks
Swap Yale and Maryland. I believe Yale is a step up from Maryland as far as perceived strength/rep.
Swap UTSW and Baylor. It's not like UTSW is going to be hurting you at all for fellowship matches; I think it's fairly well established that UTSW is head honcho in Texas.
UCDavis is oddly "high" in comparison to the programs below it. But, I loved it when I interviewed there. You won't drop to 9, though.
Thanks for the advice. I've researched and compared as much as I really can so the only new insight I'll probably get is from others pointing out things at this point. If anyone else cares to chime in, I'm happy to listen.

I never suggested completely avoiding UoC IM program. Reading comprehension fail?

Maybe I should have been more clear. I was quoting everybody, but the question was to the original poster " wildcatsniper". I agree with everyone else's posts if you can pick that up from my overall stance/post.

Interested mainly in cards, no real regional preference:
1.Emory
2.Jackson Memorial
3.BU
4.Baylor
5.U of Rochester
6.U of Maryland
7.Harbor-UCLA
8.Cedars-Sinai
9.Jefferson
10.USF-Tampa

Am I crazy for ranking Jackson above BU and Baylor? I really love Miami and it seems like residents come out very well trained and match fairly well into cards.

1.Emory
2.Jackson Memorial
3.BU
4.Baylor
5.U of Rochester
6.U of Maryland
7.Harbor-UCLA
8.Cedars-Sinai
9.Jefferson
10.USF-Tampa

Am I crazy for ranking Jackson above BU and Baylor? I really love Miami and it seems like residents come out very well trained and match fairly well into cards.

If you care about my opinion I would say YES it is crazy to rank Jackson Memorial above Baylor and BU. You said no regional preference but you seem to favor Miami (which is fine) and that would be the only reason to rank the programs like you did. But don't try to convince yourself that Jackson Memorial is a better program than BU or Baylor or even Maryland.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I was quoting everybody, but the question was to the original poster " wildcatsniper". I agree with everyone else's posts if you can pick that up from my overall stance/post.

So more of technology based miscommunication. I think it is very safe to say that UoC won't greatly hurt your chances of a GI match even with a guru gone. And while I'm not in GI, I'd even dare say, unless you're seriously interested in IBD (and who the eff really is??), that's still not a reason NOT to go to UoC.

1. Duke
3. UTSW
4. UVA (family feel)
7. Maryland
8. Yale
9. UC Davis
10. Tulane
12. USC (Los Angeles)

Tulane seems high, but you won't match that low on your list so . . .

As far as Baylor vs UTSW?? Both should be fine for a pulm/crit match, and Baylor seems reasonable if you like the research chances/choices.

1.Emory
2.Jackson Memorial
3.BU
4.Baylor
5.U of Rochester
6.U of Maryland
7.Harbor-UCLA
8.Cedars-Sinai
9.Jefferson
10.USF-Tampa

If it makes you feel any better I don't think you're crazy.

Hey guys, so I'm working on my rank list, and I'm having a very difficult time deciding between these two programs. As far as clinical training, research, location, people I interacted with, they're pretty even. I want to match in GI and both seem to do a good job with that. Any suggestions/opinions on these programs?

My $0.02 on UoC..rep aside prob my 2nd fav program on the interview trail (sinai 1st). Reasons why: really chill laid back house staff, really friendly leadership, beautiful new hospital (old hospital wasnt too shabby either), autonomy on par w/ columbia, excellent ancillary services, 4+2 Schedule, appreciative patient population, beautiful and affordable city (a lot of residents live in the south loop) Even new hyde park doesn't seem as bad as people make it out to be. IMO theres nothing wrong with the area. With simple common sense and streetsmart you'd be fine living out there. With the exception of this year their fellowship match list has been so strong (4cards to CC+ 4Cards to duke in last 4 years, home program has a strong GI standing(I didnt even realize anyone gave a **** about IBD, literally the most boring aspect of GI who cares really?), and PulmCC is amazing there as well. Not ranking high because most of my friends and family in nyc but wish I could've.

Last edited:
DO student interested in Oncology. I might fall to the bottom of my list so want to make sure that all my programs are ranked appropriately. Does this list look okay in terms of reputation and chance of matching into a heme/onc fellowship? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) OHSU
2) RWJ
3) CCF
4) Loma Linda
5, 6, 7) NJMS, USF, UMass
8) Lenox Hill - Ranking it higher than Drexel as residents seem a lot happier at Lenox Hill. Also, I like manhattan more than philly.
9) Drexel
10) Winthrop
11) Northshore in Evanston - got a really good vibe during my interview day but not sure if I should rank it lower
12) Albert einstein in philadelphia
13) Jacobi
14) SUNY Downstate
15) New York Medical College in Westchester
16) Stamford in Connecticut
17) Alameda County/highland hospital in oakland
18) Metro health in cleveland - ranking this low as Ive heard of residents getting fired
19) Carilion clinic/virginia tech - ranking this last because I don't think i will be happy in roanoke

DO student interested in Oncology. I might fall to the bottom of my list so want to make sure that all my programs are ranked appropriately. Does this list look okay in terms of reputation and chance of matching into a heme/onc fellowship? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1) OHSU
2) RWJ
3) CCF
4) Loma Linda
5, 6, 7) NJMS, USF, UMass
8) Lenox Hill - Ranking it higher than Drexel as residents seem a lot happier at Lenox Hill. Also, I like manhattan more than philly.
9) Drexel
10) Winthrop
11) Northshore in Evanston - got a really good vibe during my interview day but not sure if I should rank it lower
12) Albert einstein in philadelphia
13) Jacobi
14) SUNY Downstate
15) New York Medical College in Westchester
16) Stamford in Connecticut
17) Alameda County/highland hospital in oakland
18) Metro health in cleveland - ranking this low as Ive heard of residents getting fired
19) Carilion clinic/virginia tech - ranking this last because I don't think i will be happy in roanoke
I'd put UMass at #3, flip a coin on NJ vs FL and leave the rest more or less alone.

Hey guys, looking for some input on Baylor vs. Tulane. I've got my top 2 locked down, but I'm struggling with which of these to rank 3. I absolutely loved both interview experiences. The biggest draw to Tulane is the program director. I really hit it off with him, and I like the 4+1 system. As far as Baylor, I love the research opportunities, the chance to rotate with Texas Heart physicians, and the diverse training hospital experience with the county hospital, private hospital, and VA exposure. I also really liked the residents at both places. I'm intersted in Cardiology long term, especially EP. Thank you.

Hi all,

Euro-IMG, requiring Visa here. Applying for IM categorical.

I took a look at the Mega Thread but most of the programs discussed there can not really be considered IMG-friendly.

I realize that the majority of SDNers are probably not familiar with most of the programs but any input would be greatly appreciated:

1. George Washington Univ
2. Icahn SOM St Luke's-Roosevelt-NY
3. Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY
4. Cleveland Clinic Florida (very unsure about how to rank this one)
5. Albany Medical Center (liked it, but does not sponsor H1B)
6. Pennsylvania Hospital
7. Rochester Gen Hosp
8. UPMC Mercy Hospital-PA
9. Lincoln Medical Center
10. St Peter's University Hospital
11. Lutheran
12. Woodhull

Totally clueless about:
- University of Hawaii
- Howard University

Middle of the list:

5. Ohio State
6.Case
7.Brown
8.USC

Thoughts? Planning academic, heme/onc or pulm/cc

Most likely GI vs Allergy - Would like to have more opportunities outside of institution and not have to gun for one alloted in house spot

1-2 Kaiser LA vs Loma Linda
3- Scripps Mercy
4- USC (didn't like the vibe - felt so out of place)
5- Huntington Memorial
6- Banner Good Sam
7- Legacy Emanuel
8- UCSF Fresno
9-14 im ok with .. just need help with top half! thanks!!

Hey guys, really need help with my list. I feel like my list makes no sense...

Aiming for GI / Pulm Crit / Allergy

1 Beth Israel NYC
2 Lenox Hill
3 St Lukes Roosevelt
4 Newark Beth Israel
5 Drexel
6 SUNY Downstate
7 New York Hosp Queens
8 Albert Einstein Philly
9. Lankenau
10 Albany Med Center
11 Seton Hall
12 Staten Island
13 U Conn (Primary Care)
14 Morristown
14 Lehigh Valley
15 Nassau Univ. Med Center

Hi all,

Euro-IMG, requiring Visa here. Applying for IM categorical.

I took a look at the Mega Thread but most of the programs discussed there can not really be considered IMG-friendly.

I realize that the majority of SDNers are probably not familiar with most of the programs but any input would be greatly appreciated:

1. George Washington Univ
2. Icahn SOM St Luke's-Roosevelt-NY
3. Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY
4. Cleveland Clinic Florida (very unsure about how to rank this one)
5. Albany Medical Center (liked it, but does not sponsor H1B)
6. Pennsylvania Hospital
7. Rochester Gen Hosp
8. UPMC Mercy Hospital-PA
9. Lincoln Medical Center
10. St Peter's University Hospital
11. Lutheran
12. Woodhull

Totally clueless about:
- University of Hawaii
- Howard University

I don't know how to rank the programs you have listed but Lutheran (the brooklyn hospital) isnt a great place to do residency. heard from former residents that its a front loaded program with little guidance. that resident "survived" intern year by writing illegible hand writing and making sure to write dvt/ppi ppx for every patient.

Most likely GI vs Allergy - Would like to have more opportunities outside of institution and not have to gun for one alloted in house spot

1-2 Kaiser LA vs Loma Linda
3- Scripps Mercy
4- USC (didn't like the vibe - felt so out of place)
5- Huntington Memorial
6- Banner Good Sam
7- Legacy Emanuel
8- UCSF Fresno
9-14 im ok with .. just need help with top half! thanks!!

Definitely loma linda first. Not sure why Kaiser is way up your list though? Is there a particular reason why you felt out of place at USC?

Hey guys, really need help with my list. I feel like my list makes no sense...

Aiming for GI / Pulm Crit / Allergy

1 Beth Israel NYC
2 Lenox Hill
3 St Lukes Roosevelt
4 Newark Beth Israel
5 Drexel
6 SUNY Downstate
7 New York Hosp Queens
8 Albert Einstein Philly
9. Lankenau
10 Albany Med Center
11 Seton Hall
12 Staten Island
13 U Conn (Primary Care)
14 Morristown
14 Lehigh Valley
15 Nassau Univ. Med Center

beth israel, lenox hill, slr, downstate, drexel in that order if it were me. From what I know SIUH is terrible. I am a SUNY downstate student also interested in GI. The GI department is very friendly and open to resident participation in research. If you are a good resident, and have some research (1 abstract?) then they will likely take you. Word on the street is to get a letter by someone @ the Brooklyn VA.
However... there is currently no GI chair as he had moved on to columbia or something. They are still in teh process of replacing that chair so the GI program is in a flux.

Last edited:
Definitely loma linda first. Not sure why Kaiser is way up your list though? Is there a particular reason why you felt out of place at USC?

Did a rotation there, and maybe just my luck but had a very stand offish team - super cocky environment, very entitled, usc student treated me horribly, lunchtimes felt like high school. but this is was my experience.. and can't seem to shake the feeling when it comes to ranking. interviewed before my rotation, had the same feeling. Please note this is how i felt during the process. Im sure there are good and bad seeds at every institution but when they say follow your gut when you rank, thats where USC fell for me.

Kaiser LA (the interview was very business like.. didn't get a good impression of what it was actually like) but most people think highly of KP-LA. so I wasn't sure.

DO here.

beth israel, lenox hill, slr, downstate, drexel in that order if it were me. From what I know SIUH is terrible. I am a SUNY downstate student also interested in GI. The GI department is very friendly and open to resident participation in research. If you are a good resident, and have some research (1 abstract?) then they will likely take you. Word on the street is to get a letter by someone @ the Brooklyn VA.
However... there is currently no GI chair as he had moved on to columbia or something. They are still in teh process of replacing that chair so the GI program is in a flux.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea on Newark BI, Einstein Philly, Lankenau ?

I am having difficulty ranking these two places and just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on which one is better.
I liked Einstein and of course its in NYC but I am worried about being overworked and doing a lot of scut work. and RWJ seems pretty balanced, it still close to the city, great PD and residents didn't seem overworked, and pretty solid match. BUT I hear Einstein has a better name, is that true? How would you compare both programs?
Thanks for the help.

I am having difficulty ranking these two places and just wondering if anybody had any thoughts on which one is better.
I liked Einstein and of course its in NYC but I am worried about being overworked and doing a lot of scut work. and RWJ seems pretty balanced, it still close to the city, great PD and residents didn't seem overworked, and pretty solid match. BUT I hear Einstein has a better name, is that true? How would you compare both programs?
Thanks for the help.

i went to both programs on during my interview trail. Reputation wise ... both are equal I'd say. I wouldn't say RWJ residents work less than monte residents. ive heard that RWJ's ICU experience could be quite brutal. I personally ranked RWJ above monte but they can really go in either order. I liked the PD @ RWJ better and the residents did seem happier. Monte's PD seem intent on selling that the program has no "night float" system and basically called it by a different term. That jus tseemed weird to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.