Official 2016-2017 Help Me Rank Megathread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a snail mail letter from a program. Didn't say that I was ranked top but it talked about how so and so interviewer enjoyed talking to me and thinks I'd be a great fit and so and so thinks I'd be ready to work at their program or whatever. Not sure if everyone gets this or their top half or whatever. Do they do this thinking that flattering someone may cause them to rank them more highly?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a snail mail letter from a program. Didn't say that I was ranked top but it talked about how so and so interviewer enjoyed talking to me and thinks I'd be a great fit and so and so thinks I'd be ready to work at their program or whatever. Not sure if everyone gets this or their top half or whatever. Do they do this thinking that flattering someone may cause them to rank them more highly?

UConn ? They send it to everyone...

But the particular institute under discussion sent it to only some people they covet. Last year most people who ended up there did not receive the email. Indicating that they have difficulty in getting people they covet.

UConn ? They send it to everyone...

But the particular institute under discussion sent it to only some people they covet. Last year most people who ended up there did not receive the email. Indicating that they have difficulty in getting people they covet.
No, I interviewed only in the SE (Louisville was as far north as I went). But I guess my question is why would they take the trouble to do it? I'm going to rank them based off of factors other than whether I think they're crazy about me. If they're crazy about me that just tells me I have a decent liklihood of matching there if I fall to wherever I ranked them on my list, but wouldn't really change my ranking of them unless it was really a toss up between two programs and I give the slight nod to one because they love me. :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Wake Forest?

Currently considering heme-onc vs. academic medicine, but open to other possibilities too. I am looking for some guidance with my top 5, listed at the bottom, and I also have a few related questions.

1. I've heard a lot of people say not to make decisions based on schedules, but how much weight did you give notable differences between programs?
A. Working a two-day weekend (about 12 days in a row) in exchange for getting another weekend completely off
B. A couple of weeks of night float vs. working intermittent nights

2. Any thoughts on these other things that may influence decisions?
A. Programs with dedicated team rooms vs. no team room
B. How much were you influenced by the prospective patient population you would be working with?
C. Use of patient-centered rounds: two of these programs mentioned this specifically. I have limited experience with it from part of my peds rotation, which I did like, but it was only one week.

3. How much effect do pathways have on future career, if any? For example, some programs have teaching/medical education pathways and some don't.

My list:
Jefferson
Maryland
Cincinnati
VCU
Temple

My reply is 2 weeks late, but after going through the last 5 pages I didn't see a response to this. My rank list is very similar to this, and was hoping others would be able to share their opinions here. Thanks!

Hmm...It is hard for me to believe the interns at Bayview are supervising the residents from Hopkins for central line or A-line insertion since these are exceptionally common ICU procedures and basically every ICU admission would need one of these. If you only need 5 of each to be signed off in the Hopkins system, it is very hard for me to believe the residents from Hopkins have not done 5 after 12 months of internship and the Bayview interns have done more.

Do you think you were embellishing to make Bayview seem stronger than it is? I am not calling you a liar, but I suspect some on this board have done residency at Hopkins and may be able to shed some light on this.
Embellishment no, inference yes.
Data points:
-JHH has a dedicated line team (and Bayview just started one)
-Residents at either hospital get first dibs on lines if they aren't signed off and patient acuity allows
-At least 5 JHH residents here were not signed off during the first half of the year
-At least 3 occasions where the Bayview intern supervised the JHH resident
-At least 2 occasions where a Bayview resident supervised the JHH resident
-JHH interns do 4 weeks of ICU without admitting
-Bayview interns do 12 weeks of ICU with admitting
-I said it can happen, not that it always happens
-Not every ICU patient gets both lines
-Program specifics change year to year. I honestly think the 50 lines sounds like an embellishment, but maybe that was true several years ago.

Last edited:
No, I interviewed only in the SE (Louisville was as far north as I went). But I guess my question is why would they take the trouble to do it? I'm going to rank them based off of factors other than whether I think they're crazy about me. If they're crazy about me that just tells me I have a decent liklihood of matching there if I fall to wherever I ranked them on my list, but wouldn't really change my ranking of them unless it was really a toss up between two programs and I give the slight nod to one because they love me. :p

Because it makes the applicants feel good regardless of if they send it to everyone. The fact that they take the time is the purpose... not so much the content of the letter. The letters I got didn't tell me that they loved me but rather thanking me for my interest and time. The same type of concept as when a PD takes the time to interview each candidate. All of these little things can make a difference as you develop "the vibe..." especially from comparable places. How important and "real" that "vibe" is... would be an interesting topic for research.

Reactions: 1 user
Please help me rank these IM programs - I know it's pretty much none high tier but I still want to pursue cardiology (ultimate goal is interventional cardiology). Which one of these will help me more? I don't care about location, pay, benefits, etc. I am green card holder, Caribbean Grad.
1. UPMC mercy, PA
2. Danbury Hosptial (One of 7 Yale consortiums), CT - not sure how close to Yale I could get.
3. Naples community hospital, FL - affiliate of Mayo Clinic
4. Mercy Catholic Medical Ctr, PA
5. Coney Island hospital, ny
6. NYU Lutheran IM categorical - now is NYU IM Brooklyn campus I believe. Will be switching to primary care only next yr.
7. Rochester regional health, Unity hospital, NY (Primary??)
8. RFUMS/ Chicago Medical School at McHenry (currently yr 2 I believe)
9. U Texas Rio Grande Valley, Harlingen, tx

Sincerely, help appreciated!!! I really need a lot of input from anyone who knows about these programs. Thanks so much.

You have to look at the track records of previous graduates. I would definitely avoid new residency programs, and look for programs that have in house fellowships

I know this is super last minute, but if anyone has thoughts about this list I'd be happy to hear. I'm interested in hem/onc, probably academic. No major location preference but as you can see, slight NYC bias. I'm sure about my 9-13 so I didn't list them.

1. MSSM
2. BU
3. Montefiore
4. Colorado
5. Pennsylvania Hospital
6. Rush
7. St Luke's / Mount Sinai West
8. Jacobi

Members don't see this ad :)
Because it makes the applicants feel good regardless of if they send it to everyone. The fact that they take the time is the purpose... not so much the content of the letter. The letters I got didn't tell me that they loved me but rather thanking me for my interest and time. The same type of concept as when a PD takes the time to interview each candidate. All of these little things can make a difference as you develop "the vibe..." especially from comparable places. How important and "real" that "vibe" is... would be an interesting topic for research.
Good point. I guess it's just to help give that feel-good, friendly vibe. It would be interesting to see how much of a difference it actually makes in people's ranking.

Please help me rank, hoping for a competitive fellowship.

Iowa
George Washington
MUSC
VCU

Was it UVA?

Ohhh I see. Any other programs?

Large number of programs do this. I have a pile of them I've been throwing them into in my bedroom after I half read them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey friends. Struggling to figure out #3-6, want to do academic primary care/GIM/health policy/health systems/vulnerable populations work.

Currently:

3. Johns Hopkins Urban Health
4. University of Washington - Primary Care
5. UCLA - Primary Care
6. MGH Med-Peds

Super don't know if Med-Peds is for me (which is beside the point), but MGH's program was very primary care-oriented/vulnerable populations-focused, which I liked. It's also very close to home and I loved Boston on the interview trail. Am 99% certain I will not be practicing Peds.

Very torn between JHH/UW/UCLA -- I don't like Baltimore, love Seattle, really like LA (I like it a little less than Seattle, but obviously love the weather more). Urban Health offerings were amazing, JHH culture I'm uncertain is a fit for me. UW was great, UCLA was great - I'm looking for an LGBT-friendly, progressive, multicultural place to live, which I'm not sure Baltimore offers.

Would love some help :) I'd be extremely happy and grateful to match to any of these, but literally just can't figure out which order to put them in. Thanks guys.

I have most of my list finalized but can't seem to differentiate the following...

Wisconsin
Case Western
Colorado

I'm not positive of my career direction, but at the moment GI is my preference for fellowship.

I am going nuts trying to sort out the middle of my rank list

NSLIJ/Northwell
Lenox Hill
ST Lukes/Sinai west
Rutgers NJMS
Einstein Philly

Want to go into Heme/Onc and research is really important to me.

Rutgers (NJMS) made a pretty good impression on me but not sure how to rank it vs the other NYC programs.

PD at Lenox Hill seems very good - he used to be at St lukes for years - was anyone there for his tenure and how much of his enthusiasm translates to tangibles for the residents?

I am going nuts trying to sort out the middle of my rank list

NSLIJ/Northwell
Lenox Hill
ST Lukes/Sinai west
Rutgers NJMS
Einstein Philly

Want to go into Heme/Onc and research is really important to me.

Rutgers (NJMS) made a pretty good impression on me but not sure how to rank it vs the other NYC programs.

PD at Lenox Hill seems very good - he used to be at St lukes for years - was anyone there for his tenure and how much of his enthusiasm translates to tangibles for the residents?
If basing on fellowship placement Einstein Philly is strongest, just look where they consistently place. NSLIJ>Einst. Philly>SLR>NJMS>Lenox

If basing on fellowship placement Einstein Philly is strongest, just look where they consistently place. NSLIJ>Einst. Philly>SLR>NJMS>Lenox

I got the impression that Einstein's fellowship match was very strong at least in part because they seem to get the top of the FMG crop.... am I off base? Was hard for me to tell how much of this was due to their research resources...

Thanks for the input though - I appreciate it.

I have most of my list finalized but can't seem to differentiate the following...

Wisconsin
Case Western
Colorado

I'm not positive of my career direction, but at the moment GI is my preference for fellowship.
Personally?
Wisco
Colorado
A bunch of other programs
Case

But nobody pays attention to my advice anyway so, whatever.

I got the impression that Einstein's fellowship match was very strong at least in part because they seem to get the top of the FMG crop.... am I off base? Was hard for me to tell how much of this was due to their research resources...

I am an fmg who ived at einstein. I also got a lot of typical AMG university invites. I loved einstein and their dedication to teaching. They have phenomenal residents and yes that does contibute to their fellowship match .they have built a solid clinical reputation over the years due to their pretty awesome clinical training . they have a massive alumni base at all places. All these places contribute to a match list that would make a lot of upper-mid tier university programs and better regarded community program (like ccf) green with envy. However I feel that if those residents were at university programs they would perhaps even do better. As the resources would be more easily available and they are motivated enough. they do have a lot of clinical research available. they don't have in house translational research available. I have ranked it above some university programs..but its not in my top 5 ,even though its match list looks better than some programs in my top 5.

As with any match list it must be taken in context. I know for sure they are committed to education and help with research, a good friend of mine is training there now

Could use some help for mid portion of my list, this is how I have it now. Any thoughts?

Stony Brook
Utah
UVM
Hofstra
Cooper

Any thoughts on Emory vs. Mayo - Rochester?
Totally different flavors of programs by my account: Emory has Grady (hard work, sick patients, pathology), no x+y which seems a bit brutal, also very reputable research/departments, great fellowship matches. Mayo is more cush, tons of time to work on projects (4+4 call/non-call), seems like you will do research there (what else in Rochester?) Also great fellowships, but with a mid-west tilt. Atlanta vs. Rochester. Something there probably speaks to you. That said they fell close to each other on my final ROL. Good luck!

Totally different flavors of programs by my account: Emory has Grady (hard work, sick patients, pathology), no x+y which seems a bit brutal, also very reputable research/departments, great fellowship matches. Mayo is more cush, tons of time to work on projects (4+4 call/non-call), seems like you will do research there (what else in Rochester?) Also great fellowships, but with a mid-west tilt. Atlanta vs. Rochester. Something there probably speaks to you. That said they fell close to each other on my final ROL. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm just torn as both programs seem to be pretty polarizing and controversial on here.

Lurker, looking for some affirmation... Interested in renal fellowship.
Wake Forest
Univ Florida
Indiana
Iowa

Thoughts?

Hey friends. Struggling to figure out #3-6, want to do academic primary care/GIM/health policy/health systems/vulnerable populations work.

Currently:

3. Johns Hopkins Urban Health
4. University of Washington - Primary Care
5. UCLA - Primary Care
6. MGH Med-Peds

Super don't know if Med-Peds is for me (which is beside the point), but MGH's program was very primary care-oriented/vulnerable populations-focused, which I liked. It's also very close to home and I loved Boston on the interview trail. Am 99% certain I will not be practicing Peds.

Very torn between JHH/UW/UCLA -- I don't like Baltimore, love Seattle, really like LA (I like it a little less than Seattle, but obviously love the weather more). Urban Health offerings were amazing, JHH culture I'm uncertain is a fit for me. UW was great, UCLA was great - I'm looking for an LGBT-friendly, progressive, multicultural place to live, which I'm not sure Baltimore offers.

Would love some help :) I'd be extremely happy and grateful to match to any of these, but literally just can't figure out which order to put them in. Thanks guys.

Stop asking about #'s 3-6 like it will matter. You will match your #1, oh, Holy One. Don't make me remind you:

Reactions: 1 users
Lurker, looking for some affirmation... Interested in renal fellowship.
Wake Forest
Univ Florida
Indiana
Iowa

Thoughts?

Iowa
WF
UF
Indiana

Indiana gets way too much props thrown around here. Even compared to other mid tiers.

Iowa
WF
UF
Indiana

Indiana gets way too much props thrown around here. Even compared to other mid tiers.

I liked Indiana and would definitely rank them above Wake.

Curious as to what you liked about it? Interviewed there as well and didn't get a great impression.

Liked the residents, liked the faculty, thought the whole day was well organized, good fellowship match. Indianapolis while not my favorite place is light years ahead of Winston-Salem.

Liked the residents, liked the faculty, thought the whole day was well organized, good fellowship match. Indianapolis while not my favorite place is light years ahead of Winston-Salem.

Agree strongly with your city comparison. Maybe I'm too heavily weighting the residents that I got a bad vibe from on my day at Indy. It's unfortunate something like this can have such a significant skew...coupled with very strong outgoing residents I met at WF. Such is life I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.