gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
hi @gonnif

my primary had been submitted but like a few posts have already mentioned I didn’t differentiate my completed and future hours.

My plan is to either use a schools secondary or an small update before processing date (JULY 10th) to basically say these are the few activities whose hours I joined and....... here are the Total number of hours that I completed by the time of applying.

Would this be welcomed or do you think it’s pointless and won’t be looked at?

Would your answer change if I decide to include this info on secondaries that asks if there is something more you want to tell us, where I can basically say here are the hours I completed for these activities and since applying I’ve been continuing so and so for X hours/ week ? Compared to maybe an update before or after a secondary submission?
I think anything that points out something relatively trivial just 1) brings attention to something they may not have noticed and/or 2) to show sloppy and not attention to detail. Most attempts to correct something carry for unintended risk than help, so leave it alone

Reactions: 1 user

Hopefulpremed123

2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think anything that points out something relatively trivial just 1) brings attention to something they may not have noticed and/or 2) to show sloppy and not attention to detail. Most attempts to correct something carry for unintended risk than help, so leave it alone
I really think AMCAS should address the issue on grouping completed and future projected hours together because there is so much conflicting information from everywhere. Prolific adcoms online are suggesting that there's no need to separate and that we should go until our projected end date.

It's just unfair because some of us have stories to tell in the description and unless we're explicitly told to include hours completed in the description- it makes no sense to waste that space. Having said that, it also doesn't make sense to list hours that you are projecting..... but this is something AMCAS should actively look to elucidate because currently they just say to join them both and project.

Last edited:

14_karat

5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
Does the "Paid for Post-Secondary Education" section include only tuition? I had a full tuition scholarship and used loans to pay for housing and meal plans. But throughout college, my parents would make the minimum payments on the loans and give me money for groceries. I put 90% academic scholarship and 10% student loans. Should I adjust family contribution from 0% to a higher percentage?

About the Ads

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Does the "Paid for Post-Secondary Education" section include only tuition? I had a full tuition scholarship and used loans to pay for housing and meal plans. But throughout college, my parents would make the minimum payments on the loans and give me money for groceries. I put 90% academic scholarship and 10% student loans. Should I adjust family contribution from 0% to a higher percentage?
I would include all cost with the possible exception of beer. I would adjust higher. This info is just used for AMCAS/data purposes and is not used for Fin Aid by medical schools

On The Move

2+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Hi @gonnif
I failed a poli sci course and then had to retake it. For the first attempt should I put 0 units (as it says on my transcript) and then 3 units for the second attempt (as it says on my transcript)? I've read that you have to put the attempted units for the first attempt (even though that is not written on the transcript). Would it be the same for AACOMAS? Thanks!

Last edited:

Hzreio

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2019
I really think AMCAS should address the issue on grouping completed and future projected hours together because there is so much conflicting information from everywhere. Prolific adcoms online are suggesting that there's no need to separate and that we should go until our projected end date.

It's just unfair because some of us have stories to tell in the description and unless we're explicitly told to include hours completed in the description- it makes no sense to waste that space. Having said that, it also doesn't make sense to list hours that you are projecting..... but this is something AMCAS should actively look to elucidate because currently they just say to join them both and project.

Relax... not differentiating these hours is not going to make or break an application so you’re fine. It’s not like AMCAS has a strict policy on what needs to be done in this case, otherwise they would have been more explicit about it. Like with a lot of other things, we’re expected to use discretion. Maybe it’s slightly more optimal for an application to do one over the other, but it’s hardly unfair. Everyone fills out the same application with access to relatively similar resources. Just my .02, but I’m not an adcom member.

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi @gonnif
I failed a poli sci course and then had to retake it. For the first attempt should I put 0 units (as it says on my transcript) and then 3 units for the second attempt (as it says on my transcript)? I've read that you have to put the attempted units for the first attempt (even though that is not written on the transcript). Would it be the same for AACOMAS? Thanks!
1) put credits attempted even if not on transcript
2) same for AMCAS

OfMiceAndWomen

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2019
I'm having issue with the personal essay text editor. It says I still have "7 characters left of 5300" but I'm unable to type anymore. Not even a space or enter to create a new paragraph. I know it's a small issue, and I can just cut out a few more characters. But am I crazy?? Is this happening to anyone else?

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm having issue with the personal essay text editor. It says I still have "7 characters left of 5300" but I'm unable to type anymore. Not even a space or enter to create a new paragraph. I know it's a small issue, and I can just cut out a few more characters. But am I crazy?? Is this happening to anyone else?
did you type this directly into AMCAS or cut and paste from another source?

OfMiceAndWomen

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2019
did you type this directly into AMCAS or cut and paste from another source?

I copied and pasted from a word doc -- the entire essay at first, and then paragraph by paragraph to ensure there wasn't extra spaces between each paragraph. I still run into the same issue of having 7 characters left but unable to type anymore. Should I type my essay directly into the text box?

Edit: Never mind! The issue resolved when I switched my browser to Google Chrome. I had been using Safari. Really bizarre.

Apr 13, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm having a difficult time reaching AMCAS via phone, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this? I am not put into a queue, rather the phone call simply ends after I enter in the extensions and my AAMC ID.

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm having a difficult time reaching AMCAS via phone, I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this? I am not put into a queue, rather the phone call simply ends after I enter in the extensions and my AAMC ID.
Many people are having this issue. AAMC HQ is still closed I believe so this all being done remotely without the benefits of the all the phone technology in the call center

Jan 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Just sign it

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all of these questions. The TA has written the letter, so I asked the Professor if I could send the letter request to him and he could submit it with his signature under hers (the TAs), and he said he's never heard of doing that before. This was his response: "Also, is there a reason that you cannot send the request through [TA]? I've never heard of someone other than the person who wrote the letter submitting it. I'm happy to add my note to the bottom when I receive a copy of it." I'm not sure what to say in response to that.

Like I said before, I know these are little things but they're stressful and I'm a nontrad without a pre-med advisor to ask these questions to. I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer these!

About the Ads

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
1) doesnt matter if its uploaded by the TA or Professor. You can still list it from the professor when you assign it
2) the professor’s signature is what would be formally called an endorsement. This happens all the time across most businesses and professions. By signing it, the professor is saying he agrees with the assessment and/or he trusts the assessment of the TA
4) you could try changing tactics and have TA send letter to prof then ask prof to “interview” you and craft a direct letter. The prof can always say in his direct letter that the TA for the course has reported XYZ

fishberry

5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello,

I see that there are threads from previous years in which applicants post the date they submitted and the date they were verified. Can we do that in this thread? Or will another thread be started for that purpose?

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hello,

I see that there are threads from previous years in which applicants post the date they submitted and the date they were verified. Can we do that in this thread? Or will another thread be started for that purpose?

mdphd123j

MD-PhD applicant, 2020-2021
Mar 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Will schools send interview invites without an MCAT score? My MCAT is rescheduled for late July -> score return in early August. I might try to take it sooner if my app won't get reviewed until they have it, since interview invites are very much on a rolling basis.

wysdoc

Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Will schools send interview invites without an MCAT score? My MCAT is rescheduled for late July -> score return in early August. I might try to take it sooner if my app won't get reviewed until they have it, since interview invites are very much on a rolling basis.
All the schools who have made an announcement about it have said they will not decide on interviews without an MCAT score.

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
All the schools who have made an announcement about it have said they will not decide on interviews without an MCAT score.
1) Indeed, as I have tried to suggest before it appears the some schools that screen for secondary may send send that without MCAT. All the rest of what may happen is up in the air.
2) Understand that this process especially this year will be slow.
3) Getting transcript sent to AMCAS and AMCAS receiving them is frequently delayed; verification may take up to 8 weeks
4) in a normal year after transmission, it can take a medical school 4-16 weeks (1-4 months), to initially screen, fully evaluate, and decide on interviews. At best, they can fully process and decide on maybe 500 applications a week once they are up to speed which usually isnt until mid-August to early September.
5) School do not process in chronological order nor do they hand out all interview slot. Interviews will go into February/March if not later. I would speculate a good 20%+ of invites wont go out until after the new year.

********AMCAS 2021 Timeline Summary (post count #025)***********

Because of COVID-19 and the very dynamic changes this will bring throughout society for the this year (and likely for the next 2-3 years if pandemics of the 20th century would indicate), questions will come up again and again about online prereqs, P/F courses, MCAT prep and testing, volunteering, shadowing, Physician LOR, lab requirements, virtual interviews, etc. However, there is no definitive answer as no one knows which schools will act in which ways, nor how the upcoming cycle will happen. However, as medical schools are on the front lines of this both in treating patients as well as setting appropriate behavior for community public health, it would seems reasonable that most medical schools will take into consideration over the next few years at least. In this time of crisis, we all must learn to live with uncertainty and ambiguity about the future.
-Applicants should be filling out the AMCAS 2021.
-AMCAS provides dozens of “How to” tutorial and videos, most of which are linked in my signature. Applicants should download the free 2021 AMCAS Applicant Guide when available. It should be considered the study guide on how to fill out AMCAS.
-Applicants should have the MSAR, which should be considered the text book for the application process
-Applying to medical school is a full time job from May until through September and then on call for the rest of the cycle. There is no general rule across schools when they may evaluate and review your application, possibly invite you for an interview, when the interview may be, when a decision may be reached, or when you may get off a WL. For some of you, the cycle will run until August 2021.
-AMCAS May 4, 2020, Primary application opens up. Can send formal requests for transcripts from your schools and letter requests to your letter writers.
-AMCAS May 28, 2020, Completed primary applications with all ECs, PS, and course information can be submitted.
-You enter the verification queue (“time to verify”) only when both completed primary application and all transcripts have been received.
-AMCAS does not, repeat, does not verify LOR or MCAT score. Your primary application will be verified and transmitted regardless of LOR or MCAT score status
-AMCAS June 26, 2020 (delayed to due Corona/COVID-19), JULY 10 begins transmission verified applications (though some schools have secondaries sent to contact info upon submission to AMCAS)
-Verification peak is about August 1st and takes 20 days
-Most Primary Apps are transmitted early July thru early September, though this year it will likely move slower
-Secondaries timelines can vary widely as to when to they are sent out from almost immediately upon submissions to 3 months, though most are in the range 1-3 weeks after transmission.
-Letters via AMCAS are processed/transmitted separately from primary
-Letters can be added after primary has been submitted and transmitted and are mostly not needed until secondary reviews at the earliest.

-While applications are transmitted at end of June, July 10, most schools do not start any processing until at least mid-July at the earliest; even then, most dont get up to full speed until mid-August to early September.
-There are usually 3 main phases in processing application
----1) Initial Screening/Evaluation: A hybrid of automatic GPA/MCAT screen plus human for "quick review" of application. Used to for general priority and, in some cases, which team/subcommittee gets application. At some schools, preset criteria or informal policy can lead to II at this stage.
----2) Full Evaluation: This is where evaluator/reader/team/subcommittee will fully evaluate all sections of primary, secondary, and LOR and generally summarize in broad categories or point system. This essentially becomes your priority for adcom review and II. This function may be split up among several evaluators and may go to a team or subcommittee for II decision. Application are not typically evaluated until complete with Primary, Secondary, MCAT, and LOR
----3) Full adcom: this is where your fully evaluated application is reviewed and decided for interview invite After interview Adcom will vote on admission (acceptance or alternate WL)
-Application and candidate evaluations timeline varies widely by school may not done in a linear, chronological order. EDP, High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.
-Most adcoms dont start meeting for review of evaluated applicants until at least mid-August, more likely September, though some reviews may be done earlier for groups mentioned above. Evaluation may start almost immediately at some schools.
-Schools receive 5,000-10,000 application but can only evaluate several hundred applications a week. Therefore, it can take anywhere from 4-16 weeks (1-4 months) or more to be evaluated, reviewed and invited for interview after your application is complete.
-Schools must reduce several thousand applications to several hundred interviews.
At least 80% of applicants at any individual school must be rejected pre-interview.
-There are about 900,000 individual applications across 150+ medical schools with about 150,000 interview slots maximum. That means on average of 16 submitted applications only 3 will get an II.
-Applicants should check each applicant portal daily until application is marked complete, under review, or similar. After that, you should check applicant portal 2 to 3 times as week as schools may invite you for interview solely by portal; some schools do not send email for interview invite.

-Medical Schools are deciding on Acceptance. All applicants start as “Unaccepted” or rejected. With 60% of applicants not getting a seat, all applicants must assume that may be reapplicants and start enhancing their record from the moment they submit AMCAS.
-Medical schools have no requirement to inform you of any decision other than an interview invite, an acceptance, or alternate/WL position. Some schools will never send out any rejection or other notice on your application as all start as “rejected”.
-Timing of early, on time or late refers to any impact that “lateness” may have on your chances. Being early or on time does not improve your chances but rather it means that timing will not be a factor in lowering your chances.
-Submitting Primary Application June is Early, July Medium, August Late
-Having Primary verified and transmitted to school by middle of August is normal speed
-Having Secondary and all LORs complete to school by Labor Day Mid-to-Late September (due to Corona/COVID-19) is likely early for all applicants at all schools, even highly competitive programs.
-Late September to Early October is about on time for solid candidates at most programs
-End of October is about late for almost all programs
-After that point you will generally start getting impacted by the number of applications submitted and the finite number of essentially rolling interview slots. Seats given by rolling admissions is not a big factor in this. These aren’t absolute dates nor is it a fixed timeline. It should be used as a guideline
-Medical schools focus on evaluation and pre-II review up until approximately Thanksgiving. At that time they need to start transitioning to post-interview acceptance decision. However, with the increasing number of applications per school, some fraction of interview invites will continue into the new year.
-Timing matters to getting your application in. Once you are in and evaluated, timing has little impact on your chances. It is a myth that schools fill all the seats early and then just have alternate slots.
-When you get invited for an interview is a better indicator of your interest of the school rather than when the actual interview is. Stronger candidates typically invited earlier.
-Medical schools cannot inform regular MD candidates of admission (acceptance or alternate) prior to Oct 15th. However, medical school can inform applicants of any other decision, such as rejection or hold, at any time from initial primary submission until past end of cycle. Do note that the only formal vote an admission committee need to make is for admission (acceptance or alternate/WL) and that is the only decision they must inform you about. A large fraction of applicants will never get a formal rejection; they will simply never get II or acceptance.

Getting primary in on time does matter because of all the other items that follow it. But applicants often see the beginning and not understanding how it flows from there. Additionally, how each school then opens a file, reviews them on GPA, MCAT, and other factors, and what order they wind up in a queue has less to do with when the primary arrives then when the secondary is completed and received. Since the majority of schools, I dare say, send out pre-transmission, unscreened, or minimal cut off screened secondaries, this is probably a larger factor in where you wind up in the queue for 1) reading an application and 2) decision on interview invite. As I have said previously, and will undoubtedly say dozens of time during this 2021 application cycle (see count above) review of apps is not simply done in a linear chronological order. High achievers, URM, family of alumni, feeder schools, associated UG programs, linked postbaccs, and other factor may push an app forward in the process.

Jan 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is there an official secondaries thread yet? Or where could we find which schools tend to repeat secondaries or not?

Jun 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I accidentally did not enter the course code for one course in my application (all other information was entered correctly including name, type of class, year, etc). If my application was already submitted, how does this affect me? can it be fixed? will schools see this mistake? should I call in?

About the Ads

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I accidentally did not enter the course code for one course in my application (all other information was entered correctly including name, type of class, year, etc). If my application was already submitted, how does this affect me? can it be fixed? will schools see this mistake? should I call in?
they will catch it at verification. I would call/email the issue in

Jun 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
they will catch it at verification. I would call/email the issue in

I noticed one other mistake being that one course entered was out of order in comparison to my transcript (correct year and semester entered on the application though and still bundled with courses from the right semester). are these things that would get the application sent back to me? And would schools be aware I made these mistakes? (also thank you for your help)

mdphd123j

Mar 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
While we are on the subject of transcript verification, will proofreaders object to my typing out abbreviations? E.g. transcript says Gen Chemistry —> I type out “General Chemistry” so it reflects what it is in the course catalog. That’s a very simple example, but some of the abbreviations borderline don’t make sense, and I think my way is a lot easier to read/understand. As long as the expansion matches the abbreviation exactly, will they object/change it? And if I take my chances, would it look bad to have all my course titles say they were “corrected” at verification?

Nov 8, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
should we list jobs that we are starting this summer on amcas? like a scribe or such?
also, i had my transcripts (paper) sent on June 1st and they still have not been recieved yet. anyone else in the same boat?

nontrad1997

2+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
should we list jobs that we are starting this summer on amcas? like a scribe or such?
also, i had my transcripts (paper) sent on June 1st and they still have not been recieved yet. anyone else in the same boat?
Same boat. Mine were sent around May 20th and they still have not been received. Super frustrating.

patronj

ms1
5+ Year Member
May 14, 2015
Canadian Bacon
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all I fked up and I didn't separate out my graduate and undergraduate programs into two different institutions and listed them under one college with multiple degrees earned. I sent one transcript for this which includes both my graduate and undergraduate grades sent on May 19. Maybe they are just delayed like what people are experiencing above. Should I separate them out and resend a transcript for both programs? I cannot get ahold of AMCAS. Thanks

May 11, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My rescheduled MCAT is on July 18th. I was originally planning on submitting my primary now for verification purposes (just waiting on my transcript submitted May 4th and a second June 2nd :/ to be processed). Then once I got my score I would immediately submit my other schools. Now I'm wondering if that much too late to be submitting primaries and if I should just redirect my energy to making myself an even stronger applicant next cycle? I cannot justify spending ~$1000 on primaries only to have to withdraw so I'm not willing to submit all primaries at the same time.

fishberry

5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all I fked up and I didn't separate out my graduate and undergraduate programs into two different institutions and listed them under one college with multiple degrees earned. I sent one transcript for this which includes both my graduate and undergraduate grades sent on May 19. Maybe they are just delayed like what people are experiencing above. Should I separate them out and resend a transcript for both programs? I cannot get ahold of AMCAS. Thanks

This is probably not a very helpful answer, but I would recommend separating them.. I believe it says to do so in the instruction guide. However, maybe once your application is being verified, AMCAS will automatically fix this. In my opinion, this isn't a huge deal, but hopefully someone else with more experience in this can provide better guidance.

cosmicbamboo

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi all, I'm currently scheduled to take the MCAT on 8/1 for an expedited score release of 8/18 (pushed from 8/15 as of this morning). All MCAT dates for the remainder of the 2020 testing year will have expedited score releases.

I'm thinking of pushing my date out to 8/14 (for a score release date of 9/1 instead of 8/18); do you think two weeks makes a substantial difference/is disadvantageous? Thanks so much!

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I noticed one other mistake being that one course entered was out of order in comparison to my transcript (correct year and semester entered on the application though and still bundled with courses from the right semester). are these things that would get the application sent back to me? And would schools be aware I made these mistakes? (also thank you for your help)
1592509596955.png

About the Ads

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
While we are on the subject of transcript verification, will proofreaders object to my typing out abbreviations? E.g. transcript says Gen Chemistry —> I type out “General Chemistry” so it reflects what it is in the course catalog. That’s a very simple example, but some of the abbreviations borderline don’t make sense, and I think my way is a lot easier to read/understand. As long as the expansion matches the abbreviation exactly, will they object/change it? And if I take my chances, would it look bad to have all my course titles say they were “corrected” at verification?
Please explain to me in any way, shape or form that you would do what you think is "better" even though they directly contradict the actual instructions, which makes me wonder if you bothered reading them? Or that you dont bother asking these questions before you submit your applications? Or that first you have to make it past the verifiers before the school ever see the application? or that medical school's who see thousands of applications wouldnt be able to make out what GEN CHEM was?

1592510154870.png

• Love

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
You can list them but they not have much impact. Just be transparent in that this is all projected duties and hours
and EVERYBODY is in the same boat. AMCAS has officially noted that it can 10 business days to actually "open" the paper mail and another 15 business days to be received. That would be about five calendar weeks. They are also reporting up to 8 weeks after receiving for verification to be complete

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
My rescheduled MCAT is on July 18th. I was originally planning on submitting my primary now for verification purposes (just waiting on my transcript submitted May 4th and a second June 2nd :/ to be processed). Then once I got my score I would immediately submit my other schools. Now I'm wondering if that much too late to be submitting primaries and if I should just redirect my energy to making myself an even stronger applicant next cycle? I cannot justify spending ~$1000 on primaries only to have to withdraw so I'm not willing to submit all primaries at the same time.
Ah jeez... You would have your score about August 1st and that is NOT TOO LATE to submit primaries. With the delays in this cycle, being complete by Oct 1 is still easily on time. You can submit your primary without transcript, though it will sit there until the transcript is received. Just make sure you submit to SINGLE THROWAWAY SCHOOL! Not a school that you actually want to attend or a such a high reach that unlikely to attend

Reactions: 1 users

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hi all, I'm currently scheduled to take the MCAT on 8/1 for an expedited score release of 8/18 (pushed from 8/15 as of this morning). All MCAT dates for the remainder of the 2020 testing year will have expedited score releases.

I'm thinking of pushing my date out to 8/14 (for a score release date of 9/1 instead of 8/18); do you think two weeks makes a substantial difference/is disadvantageous? Thanks so much!
This cycle it is fine IF you have your primary in to a single throwaway school

Reactions: 1 users

patronj

ms1
5+ Year Member
May 14, 2015
Canadian Bacon
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is probably not a very helpful answer, but I would recommend separating them.. I believe it says to do so in the instruction guide. However, maybe once your application is being verified, AMCAS will automatically fix this. In my opinion, this isn't a huge deal, but hopefully someone else with more experience in this can provide better guidance.

Thanks for the input I will try to get ahold of amcas

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student

Have all ready submitted your application?
1) If yes, there is nothing you can do. If you try to withdraw your application you forfeit your right to apply this term (and all your money_
2) If no, just separate them on the application and put a transcript exception for the graduate. There is no need to get another transcript

Attachments

• 1592510860333.png
    1592510860333.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 8

patronj

ms1
5+ Year Member
May 14, 2015
Canadian Bacon
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Have all ready submitted your application?
1) If yes, there is nothing you can do. If you try to withdraw your application you forfeit your right to apply this term (and all your money_
2) If no, just separate them on the application and put a transcript exception for the graduate. There is no need to get another transcript

No it's not submitted yet. Thank you I will do option number two. AMCAS needs to hire you.

mdphd123j

Mar 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Please explain to me in any way, shape or form that you would do what you think is "better" even though they directly contradict the actual instructions, which makes me wonder if you bothered reading them? Or that you dont bother asking these questions before you submit your applications? Or that first you have to make it past the verifiers before the school ever see the application? or that medical school's who see thousands of applications wouldnt be able to make out what GEN CHEM was?

View attachment 310354
Sorry, I was confused before. I thought the “exactly as it appears on the official transcript” part referred to course number only and that the course name meant what is in the catalog. Some classes are independent-study abbreviations of obscure topics. But if we are supposed to abbreviate then I will. Thank you

premedprepa

2+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
for my preferred address, should I put the post office where my PO Box is? and for permanent just put my condo that I live in? My condo does not receive mail directly, so that's why I would include PO Box address under "preferred".

May 15, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
@premedprepa I had the same issue. My PO box is set up where I could have mail sent to it in that way (see https://www.usps.com/pobox/customer-agreement-for-premium-po-box-service-enhancements.pdf for street addressing). AMCAS stated that both are acceptable when I had asked (I also did not know what they meant by both, possibly in the secondary address line?) but I placed it as exactly how USPS instructed and mail was sent in that way (i.e. if AMCAS or schools would send mail I should receive it). I do not think we would receive any mail though, so I would not worry too much.

If you have mail sent to your PO box as usual, I would just have it set up in the way you indicated in your post.

Jun 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey! My MCAT is scheduled for July 31st currently with score release August 18th. I haven't submitted my primary yet and will most likely send it after I take my exam. So with a primary submission of August 10th ish and pre-writing secondaries will I be able to squeeze into the back end of "on time" ? I have a competitive GPA, above average E.C's, MCAT FL avg of 510, and have all my LORs ready and waiting if that makes any difference. I apologize if this has been asked an infinite number of times already. Feeling extremely neurotic at the moment. Thank you for any advice.

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hey! My MCAT is scheduled for July 31st currently with score release August 18th. I haven't submitted my primary yet and will most likely send it after I take my exam. So with a primary submission of August 10th ish and pre-writing secondaries will I be able to squeeze into the back end of "on time" ? I have a competitive GPA, above average E.C's, MCAT FL avg of 510, and have all my LORs ready and waiting if that makes any difference. I apologize if this has been asked an infinite number of times already. Feeling extremely neurotic at the moment. Thank you for any advice.
Submit your primary NOW to a SINGLE THROWAWAY school. Either a school that you would never attend (like an OOS) or a very high reach that if you get a utter fantastic MCAT score you might have a shot. You do this for verification only. Then you can add other schools AFTER MCAT score.

Jun 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Submit your primary NOW to a SINGLE THROWAWAY school. Either a school that you would never attend (like an OOS) or a very high reach that if you get a utter fantastic MCAT score you might have a shot. You do this for verification only. Then you can add other schools AFTER MCAT score.

I'm sorry I should've clarified. My primary isn't complete yet. I still have the PS and work/activities to work on. When I said I would be sending it August 10th, those days would be entirely dedicated to finishing my application. Unless I should shift focus toward finishing my Primary over my MCAT studying?

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I'm sorry I should've clarified. My primary isn't complete yet. I still have the PS and work/activities to work on. When I said I would be sending it August 10th, those days would be entirely dedicated to finishing my application. Unless I should shift focus toward finishing my Primary over my MCAT studying?
MCAT takes priority

Jun 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Sounds good. Immediately after my MCAT I will get the primary in quickly and cross my fingers verification doesn't take the potential 8 weeks I saw. Thanks!

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.