*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's good to hear. I just had no perspective on how long this stuff would take. You think if I can find an apartment before I leave and just prep everything I need for the move ahead of time that it would be more reasonable? I feel like 2 weeks should be enough time to get moved in and ready for classes as long as I already know where I'd be living?

Ya that should be plenty of time, but at least check your immunizations ahead of time to see what you're missing because if you need a series it could take months

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
After thinking about it some more i think if it's a farther planning maybe i should just get an apartment towards end of May. Move in and everything. Then go on my trip for all of June. I'll lose out on one months rent but then when i come back i don't have to worry about any of that and can just go spend sometime meeting other students and exploring around the area.

Ya that should be plenty of time, but at least check your immunizations ahead of time to see what you're missing because if you need a series it could take months

I should be mostly up to date on them but thank you I'll double check and make sure!

Reactions: 2 users
After thinking about it some more i think if it's a farther planning maybe i should just get an apartment towards end of May. Move in and everything. Then go on my trip for all of June. I'll lose out on one months rent but then when i come back i don't have to worry about any of that and can just go spend sometime meeting other students and exploring around the area.

I should be mostly up to date on them but thank you I'll double check and make sure!

Sounds like a good plan. Don’t underestimate how much peace of mind is worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a good plan. Don’t underestimate how much peace of mind is worth.

Yeah i know for sure that I'm not the type of person who can leave things until last second. I need to have everything done as soon as possible and then relax knowing that I'm all set to go.

This was actually a super helpful question for me too because I'm going to be traveling essentially the entire summer, thanks for asking this @freedoctor17

Reactions: 1 users
i was leaning towards the decision from day one. it was just hard to think about withdrawing from some great schools i somehow got accepted to

Members don't see this ad :)
having a lot of years in already and the residency i want is a 6 year program so i only save 1 year over the HPSP program ended up being a huge deciding factor.

Do students take their family members or significant others to second look days?

Do students take their family members or significant others to second look days?

Some do. The school I'm going to doesn't have an official second look day, but they invited us to bring our families in for a personal second look day. Family is important, and if your partner isn't happy, it'll be a miserable 4 years.

If there’s an option to bring a guest! If you have a significant other who factors into your decision I would, though there might be a few activities that would be completely irrelevant to them. Personally not bringing anyone. My parents wouldn’t really understand tbh lol

Yes, I would contact admissions if you aren't sure if there's anything for them to do. I'm bringing my spouse to my second look day so that she can have a tour of the school facilities.

I thought it would be an easy decision to just go to the cheapest medical school but i ended up getting into one of my favorite schools but it's likely gonna be significantly more than my state school and now i just really hope to get some financial aid packages soon to make the decision easier. It's tough trying to decide without knowing how much the cost difference would be. It doesn't help that my top choice state school (likely the cheapest option) and the other school have the same second look weekend.

I thought it would be an easy decision to just go to the cheapest medical school but i ended up getting into one of my favorite schools but it's likely gonna be significantly more than my state school and now i just really hope to get some financial aid packages soon to make the decision easier. It's tough trying to decide without knowing how much the cost difference would be. It doesn't help that my top choice state school (likely the cheapest option) and the other school have the same second look weekend.

I could not agree with this more, I never thought I'd have choices to make tbh but now I'm absolutely torn

I feel this. We are from the same state and I have 2 IS options (waiting for my UG school to show me some love) and im for an II to one of my top choices that’s comparable to my UG med school. This is how I make financial decisions:

Take the estimated difference after 4 years and try to calculate for interest. Take the avg earnings if your desired specialty and see if you can get an hourly estimate of your earnings. And ask yourself if X more hours of work us with the cost difference.

Any suggestions on how to choose a second look to attend if they're on the same weekend? Should we choose the school that we like better or give the one we're let excited about another chance. To be clear i loved both but i liked one slightly better. I'm hoping to get financial aid info from both before deciding but i don't know how long that'll be and i want to cancel one of my registrations way enough to give the spot to someone else since they made it sound limited.

Any suggestions on how to choose a second look to attend if they're on the same weekend? Should we choose the school that we like better or give the one we're let excited about another chance. To be clear i loved both but i liked one slightly better. I'm hoping to get financial aid info from both before deciding but i don't know how long that'll be and i want to cancel one of my registrations way enough to give the spot to someone else since they made it sound limited.

I suppose on the one hand, attending second look at the school you're less excited about would give you the opportunity to learn more about the school, the area, and your fellow accepted students, so that you could make a better-informed opinion. You might find out that you like the school better than you thought. However, I have heard that revisits are not always the best way to judge the vibes of a school, so ymmv.

On the other hand, attending second look for the school you're most excited about would also give you the chance to network with other accepted students, look for housing, and get to know the city. It would be more of a way to start orienting yourself to the school than trying to learn something new. I would think if you're really excited about the program, second look is unlikely to change your opinion towards the negative.

If you get financial aid information before the second looks are scheduled, that would obviously be optimal as it would help you decide. If you don't, I'd consider this: would significant aid at the school you like less be enough to make you consider going there? If yes, maybe give them another chance at second look.

I'm also in the predicament of having two second looks on the same weekend, and I havr chosen to go to the school I liked less to give them another shot.

It is a tough choice, I wish you luck!

Anyone also not going to a single second look? Lol. I don’t want to spend the money, and I already know which schools I like best. Do you guys think second look could change my mind?

I suppose on the one hand, attending second look at the school you're less excited about would give you the opportunity to learn more about the school, the area, and your fellow accepted students, so that you could make a better-informed opinion. You might find out that you like the school better than you thought. However, I have heard that revisits are not always the best way to judge the vibes of a school, so ymmv.

On the other hand, attending second look for the school you're most excited about would also give you the chance to network with other accepted students, look for housing, and get to know the city. It would be more of a way to start orienting yourself to the school than trying to learn something new. I would think if you're really excited about the program, second look is unlikely to change your opinion towards the negative.

If you get financial aid information before the second looks are scheduled, that would obviously be optimal as it would help you decide. If you don't, I'd consider this: would significant aid at the school you like less be enough to make you consider going there? If yes, maybe give them another chance at second look.

I'm also in the predicament of having two second looks on the same weekend, and I havr chosen to go to the school I liked less to give them another shot.

It is a tough choice, I wish you luck!

Yeah significant aid would make me choose the school i liked less very easily. I still Liked it a lot, but the other school just had a few things that made me enjoy it more. My number one consideration is cost though so I'll have to think about that

Anyone also not going to a single second look? Lol. I don’t want to spend the money, and I already know which schools I like best. Do you guys think second look could change my mind?

Mine are driving distance haha, i don't think I'm flying anywhere

Nah I'm with you. I've got prior commitments every weekend that 2nd looks fall on. It's not really that big of deal. I don't think you really get that much more information from going, although it could certainly help in terms of looking for roommates/housing

Mine are driving distance haha, i don't think I'm flying anywhere
If the schools are close enough and the 2nd look is multiple days, it's possible you could attend one day at each school

If the schools are close enough and the 2nd look is multiple days, it's possible you could attend one day at each school

I mean they're both in the same direction but one is a 3 hour drive and the other is a 7 hour drive so I'd probably just choose one and commit to it to get the most out of it haha. They're not until mid April so Im gonna contact them both and see when I can expect a financial aid package.

going more for my partner to weigh in on locations than myself tbh

I may if my friend gets accepted. I don’t want to drive 6 hours just for a night by myself. But I’m not planning on it.

I don’t think you should let second look change you’re mind. They will be putting on even more of a good impression there than at the interview, so it’s not like you’re going to see any negatives. If you get a chance to talk to some students off the tour path, then maybe you can ask them to tell you for realz what they think.

going more for my partner to weigh in on locations than myself tbh
I feel that. I think my SO low key wants the Chicago schools to reject me due to chronic cold aversion lol

After all those schools sending acceptances last week I'm waiting on this bloodbath that's likely to start tomorrow.

After all those schools sending acceptances last week I'm waiting on this bloodbath that's likely to start tomorrow.
I hope you're wrong still waiting on my top choice post-II and I'm hoping for some good news

I just want closure. Hear back from my last few in March, except for Baylor who seems to ghost most interviewees. Lol

Waiting on Harvard huh?

Nah they were nice and sent the rejections at the same time as acceptances and waitlists so didn't have to wait long haha. Also wasn't really one of my top choices anyways but ngl would've been hard to turn down if accepted :p

I hope you're wrong still waiting on my top choice post-II and I'm hoping for some good news

I hope I'm wrong too lol. Have 4 more schools I haven't heard from yet. 2 have already sent acceptances though so not much hope for those. Have a little bit of hope for the other 2.

I just want closure. Hear back from my last few in March, except for Baylor who seems to ghost most interviewees. Lol

Same, I've been fortunate enough to get into somewhere i really loved on interview day but worried about costs since i didn't get any scholarships. Hoping one of the other schools will make the decision easy for me by either accepting me with a scholarship or just rejecting me so that i have no reason not to go to the one im already accepted to. Conflicted about which I'd prefer :confused:

Nah they were nice and sent the rejections at the same time as acceptances and waitlists so didn't have to wait long haha. Also wasn't really one of my top choices anyways but ngl would've been hard to turn down if accepted :p

That’s the main reason I didn’t apply. My wife really didn’t want to move to Boston, and Harvard would have been really hard to turn down haha. Not that I think I would have gotten accepted anyway lol.

Same, I've been fortunate enough to get into somewhere i really loved on interview day but worried about costs since i didn't get any scholarships. Hoping one of the other schools will make the decision easy for me by either accepting me with a scholarship or just rejecting me so that i have no reason not to go to the one im already accepted to. Conflicted about which I'd prefer :confused:

Well, there's still a chance that someone else may turn down your current school. Then they'll have reallocated funds, right?!

Well, there's still a chance that someone else may turn down your current school. Then they'll have reallocated funds, right?!

That would be the most ideal situation. If that happens then it would be an easy decision. Maybe those people who got scholarships will have gotten them elsewhere as well. Anyways for now I just gotta keep on being patient. Have had plenty of practice until now lol

Same, kinda. Not so much worried about the cost, but a scholarship could sway me. I loved the school I’ve been accepted to on interview day, but then liked every subsequent school more on interview date. Super grateful, but still hoping to hear good news from my other II. I interviewed at my top choice last and will withdraw all my other apps the second I get in regardless of aid, lol.

That would be the most ideal situation. If that happens then it would be an easy decision. Maybe those people who got scholarships will have gotten them elsewhere as well. Anyways for now I just gotta keep on being patient. Have had plenty of practice until now lol
My really close pre-med friends from college will be going into fourth year this August while I am just getting started. Patience has been the name of the game. Lol

Reactions: 3 users
My really close pre-med friends from college will be going into fourth year this August while I am just getting started. Patience has been the name of the game. Lol
It seems to have paid off well!