*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup two my top choices have very, very different start dates too. I wanna be able to find respectable housing /roommates in time but who knows when ill get in if I'm fortunate enough

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe not. My friends in Med school seem to be out of the country on vacay on every break they have. Not sure how they afford it.

Wow that sounds nice but yeah wouldn't be able to afford that lol. But im happy to hear they have the time to do so, at the least i can go home and see my family.

Reactions: 1 user
Yup two my top choices have very, very different start dates too. I wanna be able to find respectable housing /roommates in time but who knows when ill get in if I'm fortunate enough

This is my biggest concern. I want to hear back from the rest of myy schools and figure out financial aid stuff so i can make a final decision and then plan my summer around when they start.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For all those still waiting to hear back, I'm sending good vibes over that you'll hear back soon and can start figuring out all your much-deserved vacation and move-in plans!

Reactions: 7 users
I can't wait to start school (I know I will probably regret saying this in the fall haha). I'm excited to learn about organs systems and diseases, to meet people with a similar drive for medicine, and to become a great doctor. Does anyone else have daydreams about what this Fall will be like? I've been looking at housing options / yelp / tripadvisor and really imagining myself at my top choice.

Reactions: 6 users
I can't wait to start school (I know I will probably regret saying this in the fall haha). I'm excited to learn about organs systems and diseases, to meet people with a similar drive for medicine, and to become a great doctor. Does anyone else have daydreams about what this Fall will be like? I've been looking at housing options / yelp / tripadvisor and really imagining myself at my top choice.
I'm not. Med school will be hard and I want as much time to enjoy myself before then as I can get.

Any big plans for spring/summer?
Hopefully, taking a bit of time off from academics/research/etc. and maybe going on a vacation:) I am a traditional applicant so I've been in school for as long as I can remember.

Still crossing my fingers for those of you who are waiting to hear back! Even just waiting to hear back about financial aid information is torturous at this point haha. I'd also really like to make my final decision so I can start planning.

Hopefully, taking a bit of time off from academics/research/etc. and maybe going on a vacation:) I am a traditional applicant so I've been in school for as long as I can remember.

I feel that! Graduated in December and I've been looking for a job the past month so I can save up some money for moving costs/deposits/paying down loans. Hopefully I can work for at least a few months and then take off in late June/early July for some vacay!

Reactions: 3 users
I’m starting to rip pages out of First Aid and blend them into my morning smoothies to get ready for med school.

You're going too easy on yourself. Shove the entire book into the blender all at once.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
seems like every step makes the idea of going to medical school seem more real. as a re-inventor who graduated college 15 years ago with a 2.80 GPA. it still can't believe i am going to start medical school this fall. feels surreal still

Reactions: 11 users
seems like every step makes the idea of going to medical school seem more real. as a re-inventor who graduated college 15 years ago with a 2.80 GPA. it still can't believe i am going to start medical school this fall. feels surreal still

I start in 4 frickin' months. That's INSANE.

Reactions: 5 users
It appears in our AMCAS?

The website say “in the AMCAS application” so I’m assuming so. I wonder what time it will become available...I’m on PST so I’m hoping it’s by 8am eastern time so I can click it when I wake up!

Should we put plan to enroll even if we're still waiting to hear from other schools? One of my schools I'd definitely go to unless i hear back from another so I'm wondering if i should just wait on the plan to enroll option. This school did send an email about it and asked us to please keep them updated to make their jobs easier so maybe i should do it for now?

Edit: also i know it's anonymous and non-binding, but i don't want to make things more confusing for them by misusing it

Should we put plan to enroll even if we're still waiting to hear from other schools? One of my schools I'd definitely go to unless i hear back from another so I'm wondering if i should just wait on the plan to enroll option. This school did send an email about it and asked us to please keep them updated to make their jobs easier so maybe i should do it for now?

Edit: also i know it's anonymous and non-binding, but i don't want to make things more confusing for them by misusing it

They just see aggregate numbers, so I doubt it'll make a difference. If you're currently planning on enrolling, then use it so they can get an accurate number. If you get into another school and choose to go there, you can change it.

The website say “in the AMCAS application” so I’m assuming so. I wonder what time it will become available...I’m on PST so I’m hoping it’s by 8am eastern time so I can click it when I wake up!

Yeah, the email I got from my school didn't say where it was going to become available, and there's no spot in AMCAS right now for it.

Does anyone know if it is necessary to notify schools that we won't be attending? Or will not committing to enroll in April automatically withdraw your app? Confused about how this all works.

Does anyone know if it is necessary to notify schools that we won't be attending? Or will not committing to enroll in April automatically withdraw your app? Confused about how this all works.

You must withdraw from all schools. It doesn't automatically withdraw you.

"Selecting “Commit to Enroll” does not automatically withdraw applications from other medical schools. Applicants
must communicate directly with all schools about their final decision according to each school’s specific policy."

However, the schools you don't select it for will be notified that you selected a different school (but not which one).

It doesn't really do anything, why is everyone so excited :laugh:

For the Certiphi background check service, did everyone's have an International section? Was curious if it was only because I've lived abroad for a significant period of time. Feeling so relieved/excited as these steps are slowly being completed.

For the Certiphi background check service, did everyone's have an International section? Was curious if it was only because I've lived abroad for a significant period of time. Feeling so relieved/excited as these steps are slowly being completed.

I don’t think everyone did. I didn’t have one and then had to refill it out cuz one of my addresses was abroad

I didn't have an international section either. Mine did take about 2-3 weeks to complete due to a traffic ticket, though.

What? Glad my last ticket was more than 7 years ago or whatever.
Yeah. Apparently because speeding is a misdemeanor in my state, I needed to call the county office where the ticket was issued and provide Certiphi the court number -- for a case that I definitely didn't show up to and simply paid a fine on....in 2012, lol.

Yeah. Apparently because speeding is a misdemeanor in my state, I needed to call the county office where the ticket was issued and provide Certiphi the court number -- for a case that I definitely didn't show up to and simply paid a fine on....in 2012, lol.

Lol wow. VA?

Lol wow. VA?

Haha I don’t know why you said VA first but I thought the exact same thing.

VA highway cops are just a different breed. If there is one state that I’m actually careful driving over the speed limit in, it’s VA.

Haha I don’t know why you said VA first but I thought the exact same thing.

VA highway cops are just a different breed. If there is one state that I’m actually careful driving over the speed limit in, it’s VA.

lol yeah. But it's legal to drive and use your phone here. Wtf.

Selecting "plan to enroll" was more exciting than I bargained for

Reactions: 9 users
I need some advice for this summer....

My family is trying to plan one for this summer to visit relatives overseas but I'm making things difficult not knowing where I'm going for medical school. I looked up all the possible start dates for every school I've been accepted to, waitlisted at, or may still be accepted to in the coming weeks.

The earliest start date is currently July 10th. How far in advance do i need to be back in the country to get everything sorted for medical school including finding an apartment, moving in, immunizations, etc. Currently I was hoping to go from may 20 to june 20. Would that be cutting it too close? I saw some things like immunizations are due around july 1st for the earliest schools.

What if I found an apartment before leaving (assuming i have a finalized decision by end of march)? Would that change anything.

I've gotten this far but now I'm super confused on the timeline leading up to the start of medical school and i need to buy my ticket soon before the prices get too much higher. I don't want to screw myself over though by not giving myself enough time to get moved in comfortably. Although the july 10 one is close to my home that it wouldnt be a big deal, another school has a july 15 start date and is on the other side of the country.

Sorry this is so long but does anyone have some input? I really need this vacation before medical starts to get over this burn out.

Worst case i could just have a mini vacation in the US with some friends but after being away from family for so long and potentially going away from them so soon after for medical school i was hoping to spend it with them.

I need some advice for this summer....

My family is trying to plan one for this summer to visit relatives overseas but I'm making things difficult not knowing where I'm going for medical school. I looked up all the possible start dates for every school I've been accepted to, waitlisted at, or may still be accepted to in the coming weeks.

The earliest start date is currently July 10th. How far in advance do i need to be back in the country to get everything sorted for medical school including finding an apartment, moving in, immunizations, etc. Currently I was hoping to go from may 20 to june 20. Would that be cutting it too close? I saw some things like immunizations are due around july 1st for the earliest schools.

What if I found an apartment before leaving (assuming i have a finalized decision by end of march)? Would that change anything.

I've gotten this far but now I'm super confused on the timeline leading up to the start of medical school and i need to buy my ticket soon before the prices get too much higher. I don't want to screw myself over though by not giving myself enough time to get moved in comfortably. Although the july 10 one is close to my home that it wouldnt be a big deal, another school has a july 15 start date and is on the other side of the country.

Sorry this is so long but does anyone have some input? I really need this vacation before medical starts to get over this burn out.

Worst case i could just have a mini vacation in the US with some friends but after being away from family for so long and potentially going away from them so soon after for medical school i was hoping to spend it with them.

Depends on the area and how much stuff you have. I’ve had to do quick moves in the Navy and was able to find houses or apartments in a matter of a few days. They weren’t always the best, but they were usually good. The last two we found quickly and they are/were awesome.

Immunizations are easy. Titers should only take a few days.

You could probably do everything in two weeks but it’ll be a crazy two weeks.

Depends on the area and how much stuff you have. I’ve had to do quick moves in the Navy and was able to find houses or apartments in a matter of a few days. They weren’t always the best, but they were usually good. The last two we found quickly and they are/were awesome.

Immunizations are easy. Titers should only take a few days.

You could probably do everything in two weeks but it’ll be a crazy two weeks.

That's good to hear. I just had no perspective on how long this stuff would take. You think if I can find an apartment before I leave and just prep everything I need for the move ahead of time that it would be more reasonable? I feel like 2 weeks should be enough time to get moved in and ready for classes as long as I already know where I'd be living?