*~*~* Official Class of 2023 Thread *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lucky. One of my three transcripts has been marked as received. One I had to physically mail a request to the school, so god knows how long that will take, and the third was requested electronically before the one that's currently marked as received :eek: I have a little anxiety about my transcripts making it in the timeframe I was hoping for!
Mine hasn't through an e-submission! And I paid money for it. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Lucky. One of my three transcripts has been marked as received. One I had to physically mail a request to the school, so god knows how long that will take, and the third was requested electronically before the one that's currently marked as received :eek: I have a little anxiety about my transcripts making it in the timeframe I was hoping for!

I have 10 transcripts. Fortunately, one of them isn't required since it's all future coursework. Five of them did electronic delivery, so they got there the same day I requested them. One is snail mail, but the request service was electronic, so it got there a few days later. One was an form I had to email to the school along with the AMCAS request form. That one just got there today as well.

The last two required forms to be mailed in, and one of them I had to get notarized. I have no idea if they even made it. And one of the schools says to allow for three weeks. I'm like, are you ****ing kidding me? It takes you three weeks to print out a piece of paper, stamp it, and mail it?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 10 transcripts. Fortunately, one of them isn't required since it's all future coursework. Five of them did electronic delivery, so they got there the same day I requested them. One is snail mail, but the request service was electronic, so it got there a few days later. One was an form I had to email to the school along with the AMCAS request form. That one just got there today as well.

The last two required forms to be mailed in, and one of them I had to get notarized. I have no idea if they even made it. And one of the schools says to allow for three weeks. I'm like, are you ****ing kidding me? It takes you three weeks to print out a piece of paper, stamp it, and mail it?
The one I mailed in I'm super anxious about, because who knows if it even got there. I just have to hope that everyone along the way is doing their job! Although I am getting anxious about the one I requested electronically that hasn't shown up yet, seeing as how the transcript I requested the next day through the very same service was marked received on Monday.

The one I mailed in I'm super anxious about, because who knows if it even got there. I just have to hope that everyone along the way is doing their job! Although I am getting anxious about the one I requested electronically that hasn't shown up yet, seeing as how the transcript I requested the next day through the very same service was marked received on Monday.

Same question. Did you use the service from the school or did they direct you to NSCH?

NSCH. I'm assuming that's AAMC approved lol

Did you upload the transcript request form from AAMC? I had to request one of mine through NSCH, and it allows you to upload forms. I uploaded my AAMC transcript request form, and the transcript never made it. I requested it again without uploading the form, and it arrived an hour later.

Did you upload the transcript request form from AAMC? I had to request one of mine through NSCH, and it allows you to upload forms. I uploaded my AAMC transcript request form, and the transcript never made it. I requested it again without uploading the form, and it arrived an hour later.
Hmmm, thanks I'll have to look into that. I'm not overly worried - it's one of the perks of starting early. ;)

As much as I'm excited, I can't wait to finish my primary. That way I'll have more time to invest in some side projects lol

Try submitting it again without uploading the form. My transcript did not get sent when I uploaded the form, but it was sent almost immediately when I didn't upload the form.
I assume you just paid to have it sent again?

Yeah. It was like $5. I’m sure you could call and request a refund, but I didn’t feel like it.
I might give it a while longer first, it's only been 5 business days. I'm being a little neurotic about it getting worried already! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
redirects to the old threads in the ssd forums should disappear tomorrow. The 2018-2019 threads are all up though. You can sort by start date to get them to come to the top.

Reactions: 1 users
AMCAS got both of my NSCH transcripts within the same business day when I submitted them last week.

Still can't believe I'm applying tbh. Those threads seem like they should be for another cycle.

You should call or do it again. It should only take a few hours or at most one day.
yeah my e-transcripts were delivered and received within like 30 minutes on the day the application opened, and the ones I had to mail are already at AMCAS as well. The e-transcripts for AACOMAS took like a day though, just a little slower. I'd say something isn't right.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm struggling to write my activities descriptions, the format just seems too awkward. Research and volunteering was easy to describe but other things like leadership positions I'm going back and forth between describing my responsibilities/accomplishments to how the experience affected me etc.

Once I finish these though my application will be ready so wooo

I'm struggling to write my activities descriptions, the format just seems too awkward. Research and volunteering was easy to describe but other things like leadership positions I'm going back and forth between describing my responsibilities/accomplishments to how the experience affected me etc.
It's really awkward, actually.

I found a sweet point of minimizing responsibilities so that there was a basic picture of what I did. I then put my experiences and how it affected me after that. If it was most meaningful, I usually gave some slight background to the activity in place of what I gained from it and tried to describe why I personally found it most meaningful in the 1325 box.

Once I finish these though my application will be ready so wooo

I've written so many evaluations for myself and my Sailors in the Navy that writing those experiences was a piece of cake.

It's really awkward, actually.

I found a sweet point of minimizing responsibilities so that there was a basic picture of what I did. I then put my experiences and how it affected me after that. If it was most meaningful, I usually gave some slight background to the activity in place of what I gained from it and tried to describe why I personally found it most meaningful in the 1325 box.

Yeah most meaningful ones were super easy to write lol but my other activities I'm struggling to find a balance with the limited characters. Still have some time to figure it out though.

Yeah most meaningful ones were super easy to write lol but my other activities I'm struggling to find a balance with the limited characters. Still have some time to figure it out though.
Pretend like you're writing a resume in paragraph format

Concisely and objectively state what you did in 3-5 sentences

Pretend like you're writing a resume in paragraph format

Concisely and objectively state what you did in 3-5 sentences

I also added a line about what it means to me, even if it wasn't a MM. You also don't have to try to relate everything back to medicine. Trying to force every activity to be about medicine will seem stilted and also make you look like a pre-med robot.

I also added a line about what it means to me, even if it wasn't a MM. You also don't have to try to relate everything back to medicine. Trying to force every activity to be about medicine will seem stilted and also make you look like a pre-med robot.
Not a bad idea.

2-3 of my most meaningful activities aren't even medically related, and of those I only make an effort to connect one to medicine. I discuss personal growth, and growth for its own sake is good.

I talk about more clinically oriented stuff in my PS

Not a bad idea.

2-3 of my most meaningful activities aren't even medically related, and of those I only make an effort to connect one to medicine. I discuss personal growth, and growth for its own sake is good.

I talk about more clinically oriented stuff in my PS

Yeah, I figure they are trying to see what kind of a person you are. They know you want to be a doctor. Two of my MMs are clinical, but one of them is not. I did not connect it to medicine.

My school list is giving me anxiety. I can't seem to stop making adjustments to it. I constantly feel like I'm shooting too high or too low!

How is everyone else managing building a reasonable school list?

My school list is giving me anxiety. I can't seem to stop making adjustments to it. I constantly feel like I'm shooting too high or too low!

luckily for me my state has 7 schools, 5 of which prefer in state so those I have my best hopes with and then I'm just applying wherever else from there to get myself up to 15-20 schools. 5 to 6 of them are reaches (top 20 schools). Another 6 or so that aren't as competitive as the top 20 and then all of my state schools as well as a few nearby out of state that are friendly to out of state applicants.

How many schools do you plan on applying to?

luckily for me my state has 7 schools, 5 of which prefer in state so those I have my best hopes with and then I'm just applying wherever else from there to get myself up to 15-20 schools. 5 to 6 of them are reaches (top 20 schools). Another 6 or so that aren't as competitive as the top 20 and then all of my state schools as well as a few nearby out of state that are friendly to out of state applicants.

How many schools do you plan on applying to?
I'm shooting for 20-22 schools. My state only has 2 medical schools, so there's a lot of my list that's up for grabs!

I have around 8 chosen so far and I’m planning on applying to around 15-20.

It really depends on my MCAT score which comes out next Tuesday... :O

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am only applying to 5 schools, and one of them is USUHS. The other four are in places I have family and one place that has 11% of its class being vets.

I have around 8 chosen so far and I’m planning on applying to around 15-20.

It really depends on my MCAT score which comes out next Tuesday... :O

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I'll be thinking of you! MCAT score release day is super stressful, but it's an amazing feeling when you see that score you were hoping for (or better)!

I'll be thinking of you! MCAT score release day is super stressful, but it's an amazing feeling when you see that score you were hoping for (or better)!

I don’t know why it takes so long to score. When I took the gre, I got my scaled score immediately.

I'm slightly envious of all of you. I'm hitting at least 20 minimum, most likely 30, and the secondary pre-writing is already preeeeeetty overwhelming, haha.

I am only applying to 5 schools, and one of them is USUHS. The other four are in places I have family and one place that has 11% of its class being vets.
Well that makes the whole process a bit more simple!

I'm slightly envious of all of you. I'm hitting at least 20 minimum, most likely 30, and the secondary pre-writing is already preeeeeetty overwhelming, haha.
There are actually like 4 schools I'm applying to that don't have secondary application essays. One of them is a state school and the other 3 were on my maybe list but after seeing no secondary essays they jumped to my actual list lol

I need to get my school list finalized so I can start working on my secondaries! Someone just tell me where to apply and make me do it lol

I need to get my school list finalized so I can start working on my secondaries! Someone just tell me where to apply and make me do it lol
make a thread in what are my chances and people will make one for you lol

make a thread in what are my chances and people will make one for you lol
Believe it or not, I actually did reach out and got two vastly different answers, which definitely did not help with the anxiety about building a poor list :laugh:

Look at MSAR. That is a big help.
I've been doing that for months now. I just keep waffling back and forth on whether I'm shooting too high or not high enough with each list I build!

I think I just need to put my big girl panties on and stop overanalyzing!

I've been doing that for months now. I just keep waffling back and forth on whether I'm shooting too high or not high enough with each list I build!

In the end I eliminated a lot of places by using Google maps satellite view lol. When there were 2 or 3 schools that were very similar I just used location/campus look to eliminate some. My ideal campus is one that feels somewhat secluded but is close enough to a big city that there's stuff to do a short drive away.

I was able to eliminate a few in the middle of no where and others that were in the center of the city which I can't stand (a lot of New York schools).

If you’re above the 75 or 90%ile, you’re shooting too low. If you’re below the 25%ile, you’re shooting too high. Huge oversimplification, but a good place to start.

If you share your list, I'll help with the schools I'm most familiar with. Past that, it's going to be up to your preferences.