Official Homo Premed Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting to hear back after my interview. It was CU so they said most don't find out until March. I will say that despite the grilling I felt really good about my interviews. I do lots of public speaking about GLBT issues on and off campus, so I'm used to being put on the spot. One of the interviewers told me at the end of the interview that he felt certain I'd do well at CU or at any school I attended, and both interviews ended on a good note.

Members don't see this ad.

hello! actually, if i were gay, i think i'd really like atlanta (but def no where else in the South). i don't know how accurate this statement is, but atl supposedly has one of the largest gay populations in the country. there's a lot of openness, and acceptance especially in midtown & decatur. this was a pleasant surprise after moving to atlanta from california --> i was concerned about the general acceptance of all minorities (i'm asian). i'm not saying there aren't confederate-flag-waving-rifle-slinging xenophobes--there are. but, few people in atlanta are from atlanta. and it's actually a very cool place, with really kind people. yay. so, for anyone else who's deterred from applying to emory/morehouse bc of this concern, i'd suggest visiting & seeing for yourself. it's not so bad :)

Originally posted by BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD
the south must be quite scary if i was living there.....i think id be lynched...thats one reason i didnt apply anywhere there...sad that i had to take that option though

I would hate to see anyone not apply to schools in the South because of the various Hollywood stereotypes people tend to swallow whole. Bigots are everywhere, not just in the South. Having lived in and out of the South, I've found that the clearer dividing line for open-mindedness tends to lie along urban versus rural.

Members don't see this ad :)
So now that the new application cycle is about to begin, I thought I'd ask the gay community again about their opinion on making their sexuality an issue on the application. I think I"m going to mention being gay because I came out this year and the process I went through really tought me a lot about truth, accepting yourself, and being tolerant. It's interesting that so many people ask the question, what does your sexuality have to do with being a good doctor and I say if it shaped your life and personality in some way that will affect the way you practice medicine, then it is totally relevant. It's the same reason why some people talk about their ethnicity or race. Anyways, thats my plan. Also, anyone have any new suggestions for gay friendly med schools to apply to and those to avoid (we all know LLU and USUHS are out of the question :laugh: ).
TD

jetjulia said:
I'm a bi-girl and I've been working in the GLBT student services office. . .

This is a serious question and I've always wondered this: If you're bi, are you really attracted to both sexes at the same time or does it mean you thought you were straight at one point but now you're mostly gay with a slight (but less significant) attraction towards the opposite sex?

TravellinDoc said:
So now that the new application cycle is about to begin, I thought I'd ask the gay community again about their opinion on making their sexuality an issue on the application. I think I"m going to mention being gay because I came out this year and the process I went through really tought me a lot about truth, accepting yourself, and being tolerant. It's interesting that so many people ask the question, what does your sexuality have to do with being a good doctor and I say if it shaped your life and personality in some way that will affect the way you practice medicine, then it is totally relevant. It's the same reason why some people talk about their ethnicity or race. Anyways, thats my plan. Also, anyone have any new suggestions for gay friendly med schools to apply to and those to avoid (we all know LLU and USUHS are out of the question :laugh: ).
TD
Hey Travellin Doc,
I think that if you think that being gay was a big part in shaping who you are then, definately, I would talk about it on your application. For me, growing up in a totally open, totally radical family in California, being a lesbian was not even an issue. I never "came out" since I was always out of the closet. I remember being little and having my mom say "when you have a boyfriend or a girlfriend one day..." It was never a big deal. It has shaped who I am, but a lot of things have had more of an impact on the circumstances of my life, and the choices I have made. So I didn't talk about sexuality in my application. I felt that my family background and my work was more relevant to defining who I was, so I focused on that.
Now, though, after the whole application/interview process is over, I am sad that I didn't include it, just for homo visibility sake. I'm not a stereotypical ****, so unless we got talking about a gay related topic, or my personal love life, I didn't talk about being gay in my interviews. It just wasn't relevant to most of the conversations I had in my interviews.
Also, coming from a big **** women's college in New England, I was a little bit sick of having gayness be such a big issue - I feel like I am so much more than just a lesbian, and I wanted to talk about everything else too, and not just have gayness be the focus. I am special for so many more reasons. :)
So, yes, include your sexual identity in your application if you want to talk about it a lot during interviews. Or if you want to be out, just for queer visibility. But remember that gayness is just a part of who you are. An important and vital part, but only a part nonetheless.
From my experience some gay friendly schools: all the UC's, U Washington, U Hawaii.
I didn't interview at any New York schools, but I imagine that they are all pretty gay friendly too.
Good Luck!

Alexander99 said:
This is a serious question and I've always wondered this: If you're bi, are you really attracted to both sexes at the same time or does it mean you thought you were straight at one point but now you're mostly gay with a slight (but less significant) attraction towards the opposite sex?

Bi can mean all of those things and more. It depends. Alot of "bi" guys I've met, whether they used to date girls or not just use the term "bi" because they are no comfortable with dating guys yet or they are not sure or they don't want to be out as gay for some reason. Bi can mean you actively have sex with both men and women, or that you are just open to the idea, or that you switch back and forth from year to year, who knows :laugh:

Thanks for the responses guys! My number one choice is Univ. of WA so if it's as gay friendly as so many people seem to think (I know that seattle is very gay friendly, as I grew up here, but that doesn't mean the administration/professors/system is) descrimination there shouldn't be an issue. I guess another reason I want to put my sexuality out there is to test the waters so to speak. If schools reject me because I"m gay, then I wouldn't want to be there anyways, you know? As for bi, I think Eraserhead is right, it depends on how you use it. Some guys use it as a crutch because they're too scared/embarrassed/insecure to admit they're gay, some people truly enjoy both sexes, though usually there's a preference for one or the other. Sexuality is a grey scale in everyone, not black and white. Most everyone falls somewhere in the middle rather than to the extremes, even the straightest people have some inclination towards their own sex in some way. Anyways, I'll stop lecturing. Later
TD

First off, I think this thread is awesome!

Having been raised in a home where our next door neighbors were a HIV positive gay couple, and my Dad's best-friend is gay, homosexuality has always been presented to me as "one of the options" in life, without any judgements attached to it. I feel really lucky that I was brought up this way because I know so many homophobic people who refuse to recognize homosexuality as a perfectly respectable, healthy lifestyle.

In high school, my best-friend came out of the closet to me - I felt really honored that he trusted me with such a deeply personal topic. I support LGBT folks completely, to the point where if my son or daughter wer to come out of the closet, I'd try to be the most supportive mom ever! I sure hope my future husband would be, too, cause I wouldn't marry a guy who is not comfortable and accepting of homosexuality.

You?re "coming out" is not about you. It?s a collective act spurred by the homosexual agenda started by two Harvard-trained social scientists, Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen, in 1988.

Homosexuals are not a "racial" minority. Don?t lump them into the solemn, historically profound struggles, let?s say, that black people have endured. You cheapen their cause and they don?t appreciate it.

The usage of the word "homophobia" is also part of the agenda started by the aforementioned two Harvard-trained social scientists, Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen, in 1988.

It means "fear of" homosexuals. Homosexuals use it as a psychological weapon in order to elicit an opposite reaction from those who disagree with their practice of homosexuality. The word homophobia should cease being used. If a word is needed to describe how those who disagree with their practice of homosexuality feel about it, then it should be "Homorepulsive" or ?Homohideous? or "Homorevolting". For anti-homosexuals, it?s kind of like when they see a puddle of vomit, or diarrhea on the floor. Would you call someone fearful who simply refuses to associate with, be around, or talk about such a scene? No. They are not afraid of it, just repulsed, revolted, and they think of it as hideous.

Why should anti-homosexuals accept a label originating from and used by homosexuals, shouldn?t they have the right to choose their own term(s), after all, it?s how "they" feel.

You see, when thinking of homosexuals, in their minds, anti-homosexuals don?t see a nice and clean, well-groomed, nicely dressed male. What they see in their minds are two nice and clean, well-groomed, nicely dressed males, who are naked and sticking their penises in each other's anus' with foul smelling excrement getting all over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anti-homosexuals also understand that the anal membrane is thinner than the vaginal membrane. This causes rips and damage to the anal membrane resulting in greater absorption of blood, which is key to the proliferation of the AIDS virus. Anti-homosexuals also come to the logical and common sense conclusion that the reason why the anal membrane is thinner is because the only natural use of the anal cavity is to push along and excrete ?soft? stools.

Bigot, another "agenda" word originating with our by two Harvard-trained social scientists, Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen, in 1988: Webster's: "Bigot" - a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices". If we call those who disagree with the practice of homosexuality "bigots', then according to Webster's definition homosexuals would "equally" have to bigots as well?. "obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices".

Don?t mistake silence in the present time (compared to a few years ago) on the part of those who disagree with the practice of homosexuality or be convinced by the numbers of homosexuals/homosexual approving folks pushing the agenda from the various corners of society, to mean that a great number of people have all of a sudden changed their minds. But simply, they are tired of hearing the ranting of the homosexual agenda, have pretty much given them over to their own mental delusions, and are watching them dig their own holes. It will end in demise.

you're a nut...go to the everyone forum where people will enjoy taking the time to recognize your idiocy.

TravellinDoc said:
TD

I was not out on my AMCAS personal statement, but was out on secondaries and where it came up at interviews. I had good experiences everywhere, no problems at all. The UCs seem good, Stanford, OHSU, Hawaii. UConn is good about it. My friend saw a lesbian couple holding hands when she interviewed. I did not apply very widely so I cannot offer you anything more than that. Good luck with your applications :)

Asclepius said:
you're a nut...go to the everyone forum where people will enjoy taking the time to recognize your idiocy.

Funny, how you can't refute the facts layed out and resort to calling people "nuts" and idiots.

Now, that really is nutty, and idiocy. :rolleyes:

There are some posts that are so f#cking ignorant that I actually laugh while I read them.

Dr. Paracletos you have produced not one, but eight such posts.

Congratulations, you're a f#cking idiot.

sacc said:
There are some posts that are so f#cking ignorant that I actually laugh while I read them.

Dr. Paracletos you have produced not one, but eight such posts.

Congratulations, you're a f#cking idiot.

Watch it, man. Coming close or maybe surpassed a TOS violation.

See, folks these are pure examples of how hateful these people are. What a bizarre reaction. Makes one wonder what is really deep down in these folks.

Sacc, in what way are my posts ignorant? Aren't you being a "bigot"? :laugh:

Dr. Paracletos said:
Watch it, man. Coming close or maybe surpassed a TOS violation.

See, folks these are pure examples of how hateful these people are. What a bizarre reaction. Makes one wonder what is really deep down in these folks.

Sacc, in what way are my posts ignorant? Aren't you being a "bigot"? :laugh:

OMG, I just realized you go to school in San Francisco! You are in the wrong place, buddy :laugh: So, you go to UCSF, then? :laugh:

Dr. Paracletos said:
Funny, how you can't refute the facts layed out and resort to calling people "nuts" and idiots.

Now, that really is nutty, and idiocy. :rolleyes:

Okay, fine...

Dr. Paracletos said:
Homosexuals are not a "racial" minority. Don?t lump them into the solemn, historically profound struggles, let?s say, that black people have endured. You cheapen their cause and they don?t appreciate it.

If the struggle of homosexuals to be accepted and gain equal rights - what your link calls the "homosexual agenda" - is not yet historically profound, it is only because it is still being hard faught. You are making a statement not unlike those made by racists in the past. The African Americans were successful in winning their agenda to be accepted and gain equal rights, so have women, Irish, Jews, etc. They have all wanted the same thing...equal rights and acceptance. Despite the fact that the animosity was usually racially directed, was their "agenda" not the same? Are you willing to concede that there was a Jewish "agenda" a Black "agenda" a colonial american "agenda"? Yeah...this is a profound struggle. Homosexuals are hated, do not have equal rights, and have even been killed.

Dr. Paracletos said:
"homophobia" ...means "fear of" homosexuals. Homosexuals use it as a psychological weapon in order to elicit an opposite reaction from those who disagree with their practice of homosexuality. The word homophobia should cease being used. If a word is needed to describe how those who disagree with their practice of homosexuality feel about it, then it should be "Homorepulsive" or ?Homohideous? or "Homorevolting". They are not afraid of it, just repulsed, revolted, and they think of it as hideous.

I think you meant to say "homorepulsed" or "homorevolted". I assume you didn't mean to suggest that anti-homosexuals are homorepulsive, as you just did. But a "psychological weapon"? Surely it's not of the same caliber as the hate speach generated by the homorepulsed...words like "***" butt-pirate, etc. that have been subverted on this very thread. Fear and loathing are a pair...vomit is most revulsive when it might get on your shoes, or might contain a pathogen, etc. The idea of vomit bothers noone, it's proximity does...and that's tinted with fear.

Dr. Paracletos said:
You see, when thinking of homosexuals, in their minds, anti-homosexuals don?t see a nice and clean, well-groomed, nicely dressed male. What they see in their minds are two nice and clean, well-groomed, nicely dressed males, who are naked and sticking their penises in each other's anus' with foul smelling excrement getting all over.

Well, then, they're perverts. Do they go around imagining everyone having sex, or just homosexuals? If just homosexuals, why are they so fixated on their sex acts? Why can't they get them out of their head and not think about it? A psychoanalyst, even an anti-homosexual psychoanalyst would have a field day with this. Freud would be proud.

Dr. Paracletos said:
Anti-homosexuals also understand that the anal membrane is thinner than the vaginal membrane. This causes rips and damage to the anal membrane resulting in greater absorption of blood, which is key to the proliferation of the AIDS virus. Anti-homosexuals also come to the logical and common sense conclusion that the reason why the anal membrane is thinner is because the only natural use of the anal cavity is to push along and excrete ?soft? stools.

I'll be honest, the attraction for this is a bit of mystery to me to, being a heterosexual, married man, but I don't really worry about it. What about the fact that this is frequently practiced by heterosexuals? The use of the word "natural" in reference to a function of the human body assumes that there is some purpose to the universe, which is basically a religious idea. I'm assuming, Mr. Paraclete, that you're a religious person. Keep in mind that we subject our bodies to many, many uses for which our bodies were not "designed"...such as walking on concrete.

Dr. Paracletos said:
Bigot, another "agenda" word originating with our by two Harvard-trained social scientists, Marshall Kirk and Hunter Madsen, in 1988: Webster's: "Bigot" - a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices". If we call those who disagree with the practice of homosexuality "bigots', then according to Webster's definition homosexuals would "equally" have to bigots as well?. "obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices".

They're biggots because they're obstinately devoted to this idea of having social and legal rights? Wow, that is bull-headed. I think you've applied the word biggot a little too broadly here. Am I a biggot because I am obstinantly devoted to my dream of becoming a doctor or the conviction that lasagna is my favorite food? Most homosexuals, however, are tolerant of other people's sexual preferences...you are not. Regarding people's choices of sexuality, you are a biggot.

If it is the agenda of homosexuals to not be hated, to be able to have the same rights as other members of society...well then, I'm all for it. Let them brainwash me.

Spitting Camel said:
OMG, I just realized you go to school in San Francisco! You are in the wrong place, buddy :laugh: So, you go to UCSF, then? :laugh:
:laugh: I was just about to ask the same question. But wait, is Dr.P a he or she??? :rolleyes:

According to Mr. Garrison, you can't use the word *** unless you're a homosexual. Otherwise you get censored automatically when a non-homosexual says the word, "***".

And now, Mr. Garrison's famous song:

Hey there, a ****** ****** *** ***
a ****** ****** *** ***
how do you do?

Hey there, a ****** ****** *** ***
a ****** ****** *** ***
how do you do!?

Usually, people who are so obsessed with certain issues are struggling within himself or herself about this issue

to me, im guessing Dr. Paracletos is dealing with this issue insider himself or herself.

I am not going to call dr. P any names, but i just would like to say, i feel sorry for you, you sound like a sheltered and uneducated being.......just remember, ignorance does not get you anywhere

:D

I usually do not get involved in these debates but I'm kinda puzzled. I've heard a lot of gay bashing which I completely disagree with. Dr. P's posts do seem harsh but I don't understand how they are ignorant .

I mean I read the article she posted and they talked about that their agenda is trying to make people who are against gays out to be "hysterical backwoods preachers."

Heres the quote from the article:

2. Jamming

This refers to the smearing of anyone who disagrees with the homosexual arguments as ""homohatred" [i.e. opposition to homosexuality] by linking it to such objectionable events such as Nazi horrors. Kirk and Masden state; "associate all detractors with images like Klansmen demanding gays be slaughtered; hysterical backwoods preachers; menacing punks"; or a "tour of Nazi concentration camps where homosexuals were tortured and killed."

Are you calling her ignorant because in light of this tactic?

Now, I'm really sincerely wanting to know cause if the article is true then these Harvard guys did meet and are actively doing this stuff. Which makes what Dr. P said plausible and certainly not ignorant.

I'm confused :confused:

Tazdoc said:
I usually do not get involved in these debates but I'm kinda puzzled. I've heard a lot of gay bashing which I completely disagree with. Dr. P's posts do seem harsh but I don't understand how they are ignorant .

I mean I read the article she posted and they talked about that their agenda is trying to make people who are against gays out to be "hysterical backwoods preachers."

Heres the quote from the article:

2. Jamming

This refers to the smearing of anyone who disagrees with the homosexual arguments as ""homohatred" [i.e. opposition to homosexuality] by linking it to such objectionable events such as Nazi horrors. Kirk and Masden state; "associate all detractors with images like Klansmen demanding gays be slaughtered; hysterical backwoods preachers; menacing punks"; or a "tour of Nazi concentration camps where homosexuals were tortured and killed."

Are you calling her ignorant because in light of this tactic?

Now, I'm really sincerely wanting to know cause if the article is true then these Harvard guys did meet and are actively doing this stuff. Which makes what Dr. P said plausible and certainly not ignorant.

I'm confused :confused:

I completely agree. Nothing Dr. P said was ignorant in any way, and I'm pretty sure that voicing your opinion against homosexuality does not make you gay or struggling with gayness issues (WTF bjork?). If you're going to create a post on a topic like this you have to expect people to have opposing viewpoints, and they are not ignorant because of that.

Getting back on topic somewhat, and completely ignoring Dr. Whatever's attempt to start flame-festivities...

I'm gay, but I don't think it's shaped me in any major way. It's a very small part of the person I stand as today, and thusly I won't be the one to bring it up in applications or interviews. If it were to come up, I wouldn't lie about it, but I don't really see why it would be a topic for discussion--for myself personally--in the application process. It's certainly not something I'm "proud" of, nor something I want to impose on people who might not want to hear about it :D

Back to the Dr. P bit; if she/he/it had an opinion on the matter, she could have made a single post with it. Seperating it into 8 seperate posts was simply a way for her to draw the attention away from everyone else, and to place herself in the lime-light. Personally, I find her attitude to border on the extreme side of the continuum (toward the "hatred" end of the spectrum). I'm perfectly fine with people not liking homosexuals, because they obviously have never had the personal experience with it to be able to understand what it involves. I am not, however, fine with people taking their negativity toward it, coming up with a bunch of out-of-context information to support that negativity, and then running around headlining it in 8 different posts in some propogandized attempt to rally support for their cause. There was simply no good-taste reason for her posts to have existed within the context of this thread.

She used so many classic propoganda techniques, it's not even funny; I particularly enjoyed the last post, which states that, in a nutshell, if you're not gay, and you don't have a problem with gays, you've been brainwashed. You should be a good gay-hater, like most other Dr. P-classified "normal" straight people.

Hmm, but I also liked the post where she attempted to generalize all homosexuals into "these people," which she then classified as "hateful," but only after making sure to place her and everyone else (not gay) on the same level by calling the "good" people 'folks.' Yes, we (gay) are all hateful and indignant sons-of-bitches. You "folk" better watch out, we'll kick your ass and then re-decorate your house. *Rolls Eyes*

Thank you for banning her. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I guess it doesn't matter now. Anyone notice the "BANNED" under her name. :wow:

Oh well, May she rest in peace :sleep:

Heh Dr. Whatever has already been banned. He practically reposted that those posts in the everyone forum and then it got closed. It was weird how he split his posts into like 9 different ones.

I'll try to "add" to this discussion. People on the gay-rights side tend to over use that "homophobia" description too much. Using those kinds of words, imho, isn't going to win over people.

However, I honestly don't think that people who dislike homosexuals really knows what it is like to be one. Even today, it can be something that they may have to hide in order to get in life or to please their parents. IMHO, gay pride is something that's way overrated. In fact, I think that it's perhaps better to be out, but only to show it in a discreet manner. There's still a lot of people out there who would treat them differently because of that.

Drakensoul said:
Yes, we (gay) are all hateful and indignant sons-of-bitches. You "folk" better watch out, we'll kick your ass and then re-decorate your house. *Rolls Eyes*

Thank you for banning her.

:has curtain rods and tile samples in hand:

:D

JohnnyOU said:
Why do you want to tell an ADCOMM about your sexual preferences?

Johnny

No joke. Since when did getting in to med school have anything to do with sexuality? This is precisely the reason that so many people take offense to the notion of homosexuality. Nobody cares where you stick your junk. Get it? NOBODY CARES, and people get sick and tired of the issue of homosexuality being injected into inappopriate settings (i.e. - med school interviews). They want to hear about your motivations, your goals and your abilities, not your sex life. Grow up a little.

oudoc08 said:
No joke. Since when did getting in to med school have anything to do with sexuality? This is precisely the reason that so many people take offense to the notion of homosexuality. Nobody cares where you stick your junk. Get it? NOBODY CARES, and people get sick and tired of the issue of homosexuality being injected into inappopriate settings (i.e. - med school interviews). They want to hear about your motivations, your goals and your abilities, not your sex life. Grow up a little.

I don't know... when you've been an integral part of a health service organization for gay and bisexual men for many years, it is a bit difficult to avoid talking about yourself and your motivations for doing so. At least I thought so.

oudoc08 said:

It's not just sexuality. It's also how the sexuality shaped and changed your life. For instance, when people find that they are gay, it's an immense experience. Add that to the outright homophobia and negative attitudes that they face, this simple fact has an incredible impact on their lives. By bringing this up, they can illustrate how they overcame challenges and became a better person because of that.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to be gay anyways. They have to deal with so much. It's not so much that they are gay, but how their homosexuality changes and utterly permeates their lives. Consequently, the homosexual identity can indeed set their motivations, goals, and abilities.

hamhamfan said:
It's not just sexuality. It's also how the sexuality shaped and changed your life. For instance, when people find that they are gay, it's an immense experience. Add that to the outright homophobia and negative attitudes that they face, this simple fact has an incredible impact on their lives. By bringing this up, they can illustrate how they overcame challenges and became a better person because of that.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to be gay anyways. They have to deal with so much. It's not so much that they are gay, but how their homosexuality changes and utterly permeates their lives.

Its especially hard if you grow up outside of a city where you don't have a single person (male or female) to identify with. You grow up thinking you are a freak of nature. At least now we have national mainstream shows like Will and Grace.

Eraserhead said:
Its especially hard if you grow up outside of a city where you don't have a single person (male or female) to identify with. You grow up thinking you are a freak of nature. At least now we have national mainstream shows like Will and Grace.

Definately. However, it's not just that. Even in areas with gay populations, it's not that easy to just hang out with them. As a kid, especially back then, it's hard to even find any openly gay peers that they could relate to. Come on, many of our peers use the term "gay" as a derogative. Also, it wasn't uncommon to make fun of people by calling them "fags" or "queers." That "freak of nature" comment is totally true.. and when you grow up like that, it definately has an impact if you let yourself think like that. In fact, most of the gay guys I know came out in college. The guy that did come out in high school came out like at the very end.

I don't know about the rest but this seems to be very dehumanizing. The outlook towards homosexuals is definitely deploring. I guess it should be a combined effort - homosexuals and heteros to create better awareness.
It is ok if you are homosexual as long as you are not going overboard with it like all other things - achievements, hot g/fs (I don't have one anyways lol)

More importantly, just chill and relax :D

Usually, people who are so obsessed with certain issues are struggling within himself or herself about this issue

to me, im guessing Dr. Paracletos is dealing with this issue insider himself or herself.

This is so not true. Why do people try to deflect arguments this way? I'll rail against the move to make marriage anything but the established social unit in which to conceive a family (which means I'm opposed to a host of other idiotic liberal social reforms that have plagued our society the past decades), but if I were gay or had issues, I think something would have happened by now.

As someone who has lived in a house with three gay males and has probably been to a gay establishements over 100 times (bars, bookstores, clubs, cafes...), I have to think that support groups for gays are necessary. There are a lot of issues in the gay community, and I don't think I've ever seen a more screwed up community. Hey, honesty. Those of you who have seen it know that lots of drugs, orgies, materialism run rampant, and random sex are the norm. It's a bit scary, and I guess the clinics are a good thing. I met guys who were HIV+ and sleeping around with other guys (and yes, bareback). They were pretty unapologetic about it, too. Lots of cheating, alcohol abuse. I basically could have gone home with a new guy(s) every night I went out had I not been straight.

I'm pretty opposed to the idea of gay marriage (I wasn't until I actually went out into the gay community and was faced with dilemma of thinking about it), but I'm gay friendly. In other words, I'm vehemently opposed to some of the political desires of the gay community, but I have no problem hanging out with gays and don't let that affect personal interactions. I don't think you're going to run into much more than that in a med school admissions office.

Wow Freaker,

I think that is such an insult to say that the NORM of the gay community is sex, drugs, materialism, and random sex.I think that it is so erroneous to say that one community has a norm. There is such diversity within each race, religion, culture, and sexuality.

I am an HIV counselor at a clinic, and yes they are a good thing for both heterosexuals and homosexuals. If you went to just as many straight clubs as I ve gone to, you will find just as much random sex......how can you imply this is only the case for homosexuals....get real dude.....promiscous behavior is everwhere.

I have also met a lot of Heterosexual males and females at my clinic who seemed careless to about having sex....its not just the gay males.

freaker said:
This is so not true. Why do people try to deflect arguments this way? I'll rail against the move to make marriage anything but the established social unit in which to conceive a family (which means I'm opposed to a host of other idiotic liberal social reforms that have plagued our society the past decades), but if I were gay or had issues, I think something would have happened by now.

As someone who has lived in a house with three gay males and has probably been to a gay establishements over 100 times (bars, bookstores, clubs, cafes...), I have to think that support groups for gays are necessary. There are a lot of issues in the gay community, and I don't think I've ever seen a more screwed up community. Hey, honesty. Those of you who have seen it know that lots of drugs, orgies, materialism run rampant, and random sex are the norm. It's a bit scary, and I guess the clinics are a good thing. I met guys who were HIV+ and sleeping around with other guys (and yes, bareback). They were pretty unapologetic about it, too. Lots of cheating, alcohol abuse. I basically could have gone home with a new guy(s) every night I went out had I not been straight.

I'm pretty opposed to the idea of gay marriage (I wasn't until I actually went out into the gay community and was faced with dilemma of thinking about it), but I'm gay friendly. In other words, I'm vehemently opposed to some of the political desires of the gay community, but I have no problem hanging out with gays and don't let that affect personal interactions. I don't think you're going to run into much more than that in a med school admissions office.

Doesn't sound like you pick your fags well.

how can you imply this is only the case for homosexuals

I did? Or did you?

I think that is such an insult to say that the NORM of the gay community is sex, drugs, materialism, and random sex.

A simple examination of the number of partners, the frequency of drug abuse, the degree of infidelity in gay relationships, and the sexual practices of gay (males in particular) would prove my point here. Why hide from the obvious? It's proven to be the case in Atlanta, in Long Beach, in Orange County (Laguna), in Los Angeles, in Dallas... You claim that you can't stereotype a community, yet that community meets at set locations and participates in set activities more than just about any other community I can think of. Also note the emphasis on gay culture. Gays are supposed to act a certain way. Gays are supposed to dress a certain way. Gays are supposed to like certain things. Listen to certain types of music. Ever been to a Cher or Madonna concert? And you don't think this holds true of the sexual practices of a community? Just read the statistics. And yes, it was very normal to be propositioned for sex at gay venues. Even something as benign as a coffee shop.

Just as much random sex in the hetero community? Eh, no. Statistics state otherwise. So does experience. There were nights at gay bars when I was propositioned for sex by over five guys in one night (and this was a bar, not even a club).

Listen, when 25% of the black gay male population is HIV+, there are some serious issues at hand. I don't see how trying to muddy the waters in the name of political correctness is going to do any good.

Come on, you have to admit that what I described is pretty rampant. My ex-gay roommate rails on these problems in the gay community on regular basis.

I don't see what use this is to the orginal poster other a warning not to assume that a criticism of the gay community implies that the hetero community comes away clean.

This was supposed to be a thread about gay applicants helping each other through the process. As usual though, the fascist trolls HAVE to take it over. Take your lame arguements to the everyone forum and let our queer friends speak about being homo and premed.

oudoc08 said:
I think it completely depends on the person. 2 of my gay friends applied to medical school and had very different personal statements. One spent summers working in a free clinic in NYC, the other one did research on cystic fibrosis. They both wrote about their summer experiences in the personal statements because both were relevant to their pursuit of medicine. They both listed their involvement with LGBT groups as part of their ECs on AMCAS. When asked in an interview "Why School X?", the one who did research said "Because my partner of 6 years is from this city and would have an easier time adjusting to me being in med school with her family close by" as part of her answer. It's really not any different than being heterosexual; if it's part of your reason for pursuing medicine, include it. If not, leave it out.

Tezzie said:
This was supposed to be a thread about gay applicants helping each other through the process. As usual though, the fascist trolls HAVE to take it over. Take your lame arguements to the everyone forum and let our queer friends speak about being homo and premed.

According to that article that Dr. P gave a link (which I read--did anyone else even take the time to read it....sheesh :rolleyes: ) it stated that the so called agenda is, and I quote:

"2. Jamming

Now, on this whole issue of gays, I am neutral and am not taking any sides on the debate but I can read and connect the dots.

Tezzie called her a "Nazi" and Sacc said she was "ignorant".

Now that's hilarious :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Since that is exactly what the article says to do to non-gays :eek:

But getting back to the OP's original topic. I'm not sure??? As others have explained why is being gay so traumatic that it's necessary to bring it up to ADCOMs (and you're right, I'm not gay and there's no way I can understand) but if it's that bad then why be that way (I know over-simplistic). But hey I'm open.

ok, for you straights who don't understand how much more being gay affects your life than being straight, try to imagine this . . . you love women as a guy, right? So say your entire society told you that you should want to have sex with a man or you're a freak. All your life you only have feelings for women but can't act on them or tell anyone about them or you'll be deemed as disgusting or a sinner. So what do you do? You force yourself to be attracted to other men and even have sex with them because you feel the pressure of your peers and society. Imagine having to play this game of hiding who you really are, even not participating in certain activities because you think it will make everyone "suspect" or not being able to state your true opinion on something because you're afraid everyone with know. Now, switch that around and you have what a gay man or woman goes through. So you don't think this would affect your personality, motivations, abilities, and every fibre of your being? I agree, if our society was in complete support from the get-go of homosexuality, and i grew up in said society, yes, it would not be an issue, cuz who cares who I wanna screw. But it's not like that, it's overcoming adversity and isn't that an important experience? That's why I didn't come out till I was 24, and I must applaude those who came out sooner, i wish i had.
And about the gay community being rampant with promiscuity, drugs, etc, I think you need to look at a larger variety of gay people, just like there are a variety of straights. Personally, I don't participate in that, I am a good human being with values and genuinely cares about others. I'm a normal guy and you'd never guess that I'm gay upon meeting me, thus, how would you ever know about the everyday gay population when all you're looking for is a bunch of flaming queers who are blindingly obvious? Don't group all gays into one pool of debauchery nor rely on bs stats. By the way, where are your stats and what are their source? Ok, let's get off this topic, I KNEW it would somehow erupt into a debate on whether being gay was right or wrong.