**Official Maryland Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you interviewed pre-December are you guaranteed to hear back on December 1st/3rd?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me the total cost of the school for first year? Like tuition + equipment cost? For residents and non residents? I just want to know how much the school costs (mandatory stuff). And if there's like a paper you guys got at the interview that shows it, maybe paste it here.

I haven't done the math yet for this year, but this should help. *Note: per semester unless noted* https://www.umaryland.edu/media/umb/af/sa/dds.pdf

I graduated with maybe 250k of debt. Keep in mind in state tuition alone goes up at least 5% each year. Between my first and second year, there was a whopping 13% increase. Fees also increase annually

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UMD states on their website that letters of recommendation from one professor each in the departments of biology and chemistry may be substituted. I took gen chem at community college and orgo professor retired so that I couldn't get rec from chem dept. Maryland is my top choice so I applied here with 3 recs from biology dept. (1 rec is from biochem professor) and 1 rec from a dentist. Do you know anyone accepted in the previous cycle who was in same situation like me? I received supplemental application so far.

It's a loose rule from my experience. I had 2 biology, 1 physics, 1 extracurricular, 1 undergrad boss, 1 dentist and 1 prehealth office as my overall committee letter (counts as 3 letters overall)

I heard that UMSOD has summers off. Is that true? What's that like?

Currently you have the summer off after first year to take part 1 of national boards. You will be in clinic in the summers after second and third years. This will very likely change soon depending on Integrated Boards. I can make a post discussing integrated boards if requested

Universal breaks: Labor Day, Thanksgiving 4 day weekend, Faculty Retreat for 2 days in early Dec, winter break for 1-2 weeks (usually late Dec 20-something thru Jan 1, return on Jan 2 or so), MLK in Jan, 1 week spring break, Memorial Day in May, week of July 4th

What summers look like:
D2 summer (after D1): three months of summer break from graduation in mid May until start of D2 in mid August
D3 summer: off week after graduation, then 1.5-2 weeks of clinic orientation after Memorial Day, 3-4 weeks in clinic until week off for Independence Day, then half the now-D3s and D4s are in clinic for 3 weeks in July, then off for 3 weeks in August (2nd vs. 3rd floor, switches each summer)
D4 summer: no breaks except Memorial Day, week off for July 4th, 3 weeks off based on floor. You have some classes, quizzes, clinic... just work hard to graduate on time

Accepted. OOS. 8:00 a.m. I’m in shock

Admission offer! OOS
#2 school
Good luck to all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted 5:06 am PST! So stoked!

IS Acceptance

8:16 AM

This is literally the one email I've been waiting for the past 5 years

Reactions: 3 users
I’m guessing all of the initial acceptances are out? :( Doesn’t seem like they do it throughout the day.

UM SOD Interview Stats:

Interview #:
Method of notification: Email
AADSAS Submission Date: 09/12
School Processed AADSAS Date: 10/04
School Processed Secondary Date: 11/05
Invitation to Interview Date: 11/27
Interview Date: 12/05 (1 Week Notice, I didn’t get to choose a day unless I requested rescheduling)
Interview/Tour Time: 11am-5pm
Interview Length: 30 minutes

Applicant Stats:

Race/Ethnicity: Asian/Filipino
Residency: MD
Undergraduate School Attended: University of Maryland, College Park
Major: Biological Sciences: Physiology and Neurobiology
GPA (science, overall): 3.31, 3.22
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/QR/RC/Bio/GC/OC): 24/25/18/22/21/23/28/25
Dental Shadowing Hours: 88
Medical Professional Shadowing Hours (not including dental): 80
Medical Employment Hours (Medical Billing/Scribe): 2112
Volunteer Work Hours: 484
Letters of Recommendation: Dentist, Molecular Biology Professor, Organic Chemistry Professor

Application Status By School as of 12/03:

Maryland: Invitation to Interview
LECOM: Application Complete
Touro: Invitation to Interview
Colorado: Rejection
A.T. Still-AZ: Application Complete
Midwestern-AZ: Application Complete
Western-CA: Application Complete
Tufts:
Application Complete
Roseman: Application Complete

Good luck everyone! We hustled to get to this point! Hope to see some of you at interviews :)

Reactions: 2 users
Found these helpful questions on another thread! Any current student input is very much appreciated!

1. Name of Your Dental School

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

11. Is class attendance mandatory?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

13. What is the drop out rate?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

25. What is the dress code at your school? Are there different scrub colors that change for D1, D2, D3, and D4?

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

27. What student organizations are most active?

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

29. What do you not like about your dental school?

30. Any last words or advice?

@umbtoothfairy I saw your answers to questions 1-18 on the 2022 thread, they were very helpful! If you ever find the time, even a few more answers to some of the other questions would be so helpful and much appreciated.

I went through last cycle's Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread and took note of dates that people said they were accepted/waitlisted/rejected. It seems like UM SOD adcoms send out acceptances in several large batches. Each batch is sent out on a particular day and at the same time. Here are the dates I saw:

December 1st
December 14th
January 26th
March 1st

Waitlist/Rejection notifications seemed to have coincided with the March 1st batch of acceptances. Note that this year's cycle may not run exactly the same way. For example, this cycle's first day of acceptances for all schools is Dec. 3rd, while last year's was Dec. 1st. For this cycle, there could be the same amount of batches, or more, or fewer. I'm gonna guess that there is going to be one more batch in December before Winter Break.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats everyone! Has anyone received the secondary in July or around that time, and yet to receive an interview?

Congrats all!! I received an interview invitation today and my secondary was completed in Oct.

Found these helpful questions on another thread! Any current student input is very much appreciated!

1. Name of Your Dental School

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

11. Is class attendance mandatory?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

13. What is the drop out rate?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?

25. What is the dress code at your school? Are there different scrub colors that change for D1, D2, D3, and D4?

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

27. What student organizations are most active?

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

29. What do you not like about your dental school?

30. Any last words or advice?

@umbtoothfairy I saw your answers to questions 1-18 on the 2022 thread, they were very helpful! If you ever find the time, even a few more answers to some of the other questions would be so helpful and much appreciated.

Can do, at least between patients or before bed :) needless to say senioritis hit me hard last year

The health science library is the dental school library after 9-10 PM. Unlike the med school who has exams every 3 weeks, dental student have numerous exams weekly in a variety of courses. A lot of people form study groups and use the rooms at the library. Others study mostly on their own. A major part of first year is learning how you best study and retain a large volume of info.

Starting this by saying spanish speakers get a ton of patients. We share patients and co-therapy classmates. The school provides a fair number in screening, but those in my class who didn't stress as much did recruit their own.

You are assigned chairs 3-4 weeks out. You can give up or trade chairs as needed. 1 week out, you can request an additional chair if there is room on the floor. On the 2 pre doc clinic floors, there are 4 GPs with 16 chairs each plus the various special clinics eg oral Surgery, special care, peds endo, etc. Not every one of the chairs is available depending on faculty coverage for that session

Aside: general clinic blocks are 2.5 hours (3 hours in the morning sessions). TuTh mornings are special cases for D4s and TuTh afternoons are only for D4s. MWF morning and afternoons plus TuTh evenings for D3s and D4s.

Do most people who interview pre-dec hear something back? I interviewed in October and haven’t received any communications since then

Just got an interview invite!

Accepted!!!

Just got an email that says that one of the schools I was accepted to requires that I complete a criminal background check. I don’t see Maryland in their list. Just want to confirm that they don’t require one. Anyone else able to confirm?

For those accepted, did you receive a scholarship in your email or will that be in a package mailed to us in the upcoming weeks?

Hello all, I made an account here simply to give some words of encouragement. This is my second year applying and I have just gotten in with a GPA of 3.3 and a DAT of 21. While I did have butt load of extra curriculars (published a book and multiple research reports through the V.A. hospital system), I do sincerely believe that the interview process is what got me in. I do plan on going here to and would LOVE if a local or if I can chat with someone from the east coast (I'm from san diego personally, never even seen snow lol). Basically know you can ****ing do it (sorry but not sorry for cussing), push through it and realize you ARE good enough and you ARE brilliant enough to become a healer of individuals. Love ya'll and can't wait to join you in the next 4 years to come!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
For those accepted, did you receive a scholarship in your email or will that be in a package mailed to us in the upcoming weeks?
I got an email personally, any other questions please ask my man!

Just got an interview invite!
So I've done the interview twice for them and both times I LOVED how nice everyone was, so please go in calm and level. With that being said I adore what my mentor said in that treat this interview like a date (however weird it sounds lol); realize that want to know YOU and you need to learn about them. Ask questions, have some attitude, disagree/agree with a comment they say, BE YOURSELF! I'd much rather get rejected from a school that isn't best for me then get accepted to a school that is terrible for me. you got this far, now just show them why that's the case my brother/sister/other!!!!!

Do most people who interview pre-dec hear something back? I interviewed in October and haven’t received any communications since then
So I got an interview last you in early febuary and didn't get a rejection until may (just got accepted 2 days ago thankfully though, so always keep trying lol). Personally I believe that YOU NEED to send a thank you letter for the interview itself (make it personal, make it sweet, this is a friendly gesture and treat it as such), and this should be done promptly, but don't berate them right now. Wait until january and give a call. Afterwards I'd do it every month or so. I've heard this is a good tactic (keeps you on their minds), but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be friendly and nice because once again we don't wanna annoy them

I have my interview next week. Any advise for those that got acccepted on the interview process/ questions? Congrats to all btw!

I have my interview next week. Any advise for those that got acccepted on the interview process/ questions? Congrats to all btw!
I said it above but go in level headed and realize to yourself that this is just as much a time for you to interview them as it is for them to interview you. It makes a massive impact if you ask questions, make APPROPRIATE jokes/comments, and overall standout. Don't be afraid to be yourself, and realize that this day should be like a trip to Disneyland, not a day of being inspected under a microscope lol

Hello all, I made an account here simply to give some words of encouragement. This is my second year applying and I have just gotten in with a GPA of 3.3 and a DAT of 21. While I did have butt load of extra curriculars (published a book and multiple research reports through the V.A. hospital system), I do sincerely believe that the interview process is what got me in. I do plan on going here to and would LOVE if a local or if I can chat with someone from the east coast (I'm from san diego personally, never even seen snow lol). Basically know you can ****ing do it (sorry but not sorry for cussing), push through it and realize you ARE good enough and you ARE brilliant enough to become a healer of individuals. Love ya'll and can't wait to join you in the next 4 years to come!!!!!!!!!
I’m a baltimorian! Still waiting to hear back from maryland but if you still want to know anything about the area let me know!

I’m a baltimorian! Still waiting to hear back from maryland but if you still want to know anything about the area let me know!

Could you give some insight on where to live? Apartments? Do you recommend renting homes around the area? Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Adcoms like seeing resilience, and you have it! Now go and celebrate your accomplishments!!!!! :clap:

See you next year in class my friend

I cant remember if they told us at the interview if they give scholarships or not? or if they are likely to give them to all of us and if so how much! -thanks

Could you give some insight on where to live? Apartments? Do you recommend renting homes around the area? Thanks!
I would definitely recommend renting in the area. A lot of people live in the federal hill area because its semi close to the dental school and in a “cheaper” part of the city. Theres also cheap places in bolton hill and mchenry row. You can find reasonable housing anywhere but just make sure you visit a place before making a decision on a place because baltimore is very block by block on sketchy vs. harmless

Yes, Maryland gives scholarships. I received one when I was notified of my acceptance

I would definitely recommend renting in the area. A lot of people live in the federal hill area because its semi close to the dental school and in a “cheaper” part of the city. Theres also cheap places in bolton hill and mchenry row. You can find reasonable housing anywhere but just make sure you visit a place before making a decision on a place because baltimore is very block by block on sketchy vs. harmless

Cheap isn't exactly the word I would use to describe Fed Hill. Other areas people live in are Ridgleys Delight, Pigtown, Riverside, Barre Circle, Otterbein, the various downtown high rises, Mount Vernon. There are buses from the campus to many of the aforementioned areas, but not all are even within walking distance ie Fed Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.