*****Official PASS 2025 Endodontic Residency Interviews/Information***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not Minnesota offically out of the race.. see you next year guys 🫡

Don’t give up hope just yet! Still early in the application process. Anything can happen!!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Why does it feel like endo has gotten so competitive over the last few (~5) years? Is it that other specialties are losing ground, so ours is naturally growing? Is it because endo has gotten more efficient & quick thanks to rotary systems? Curious how much the average endo associate take home these days

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Why does it feel like endo has gotten so competitive over the last few (~5) years? Is it that other specialties are losing ground, so ours is naturally growing? Is it because endo has gotten more efficient & quick thanks to rotary systems? Curious how much the average endo associate take home these days
I wonder if it's getting popular because it might be harder for AI to take over endo :unsure:.. all hail Skynet..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ortho used to be the hot residency for a long time in terms of lifestyle and income. Lots of residencies and seats have opened over the last decade (see Georgia school of orthodontics) while endo rarely adds seats. Also lots of clear aligners cutting into orthos income.

Oral surgery continues to be highest earning specialty but endo is 2nd or third now (see ADA surveys). Perio can make good income and not as hard to get into but it’s 3 years everywhere and you’re competing with OS and GPs for implants, but it’s a great speciality if you want to do surgery instead of restorative.

People thought endo would die off with GPs getting rotary endo but 1) there’s still harder teeth 2) more retreats when they fail 3) there’s an enough cracked teeth and leaky composites for everybody. Endo is a lot more predictable than it was a decade or two ago thanks to CBCT, irrigation techniques, and file systems.

Also more stressful/overhead owning a GP practice than previous decades so more associates look to specializing as an alternative path. Endo was always hard to get into fresh out of school unless you were top of your class/top school but now more grads with experience are competing than before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Update for more Louisville invites

University of Alabama at Birmingham -
Loma Linda University -
University of California at Los Angeles -
University of California at San Francisco - Invites sent June 17th for interviews on July 11th and 12th
University of Southern California -
University of the Pacific -
University of Connecticut -Invites sent June 7th for June 26th - virtual interview
Nova Southeastern University -
University of Florida -
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) - Invites sent (May 28, email), Interview (July 8)
University of Illinois at Chicago -
Southern Illinois University -
Indiana University - Invites sent (May 30, email), Interview (July 8)
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -Invite sent (June 16, email; June 17 email), Interview (July 12)
University of Kentucky - Invites sent (June 10th, email), Interviews on July 19th
Louisiana State University
-Invites sent (May, phone), Interview (July 12)
University of Maryland -
Boston University - invites sent (June 14, email), Interview (July 19, 26, 29)
Harvard University -
Tufts University - invites sent (June 11th and 17th), interviews July 15,16,17
University of Detroit Mercy -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota - invite sent (June 17th, phone), interview July 11th and 12th
Saint Louis University - Invites sent (June 11, June 14, email), Interview (July 9)

University of Missouri-Kansas City -
University of Nebraska -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine -
Columbia University -
NYU Langone (Lutheran Medical Center) -
NYU Langone Puerto Rico -
New York University - Invites sent on June 5th by email, interviews on June 18th
Stony Brook University -
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York -
University of North Carolina -
Case Western Reserve University -
Ohio State University - Invite by phone on June 11th for July 9th/10th
Oregon Health & Science University -
Albert Einstein Medical Center - Invite (June 13, email), Interview (July 15)
Temple University -
University of Pennsylvania -
University of Pittsburgh - Invite (June 13, email), Interview (July 12)
Medical University of South Carolina -
University of Tennessee Health Science Center -
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Invites sent June 13th for July 9th interview
University of Texas at Houston -
Invites sent (May 17), (June 4th - email), Interview (July 12)
University of Texas at San Antonio -
Virginia Commonwealth University -
University of Washington -
West Virginia University -
Marquette University -
VA New York - Invites sent (May 31, June 3, email), Interview (July 12)

Update for more Louisville invites

Loma Linda University -
University of California at San Francisco - Invites sent June 17th for interviews on July 11th and 12th
University of Connecticut -Invites sent June 7th for June 26th - virtual interview
University of Florida -
Georgia Regents University (Augusta Univ) - Invites sent (May 28, email), Interview (July 8)
University of Iowa -
University of Louisville -Invite sent (June 16, email; June 17 email), Interview (July 12)
University of Kentucky - Invites sent (June 10th, email), Interviews on July 19th
University of Maryland -
Harvard University -
University of Michigan -
University of Minnesota - invite sent (June 17th, phone), interview July 11th and 12th
Saint Louis University - Invites sent (June 11, June 14, email), Interview (July 9)

University of Nebraska -
Columbia University -
New York University - Invites sent on June 5th by email, interviews on June 18th
Stony Brook University -
Temple University -
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry - Invites sent June 13th for July 9th interview
Marquette University -
that tree's startin' to light up

Does anyone know if UCSF sends out multiple interview invites or is it a 1 time thing only?

Ortho used to be the hot residency for a long time in terms of lifestyle and income. Lots of residencies and seats have opened over the last decade (see Georgia school of orthodontics) while endo rarely adds seats. Also lots of clear aligners cutting into orthos income.

Oral surgery continues to be highest earning specialty but endo is 2nd or third now (see ADA surveys). Perio can make good income and not as hard to get into but it’s 3 years everywhere and you’re competing with OS and GPs for implants, but it’s a great speciality if you want to do surgery instead of restorative.

People thought endo would die off with GPs getting rotary endo but 1) there’s still harder teeth 2) more retreats when they fail 3) there’s an enough cracked teeth and leaky composites for everybody. Endo is a lot more predictable than it was a decade or two ago thanks to CBCT, irrigation techniques, and file systems.

Also more stressful/overhead owning a GP practice than previous decades so more associates look to specializing as an alternative path. Endo was always hard to get into fresh out of school unless you were top of your class/top school but now more grads with experience are competing than before.
Got the nail on the head with this one!
Seeing the more recent interview invite trends, I'm beginning to feel like the importance of private practice experience is beginning to dilute a little. I've noticed more and more Endo programs interviewing fresh grads (in fact, applicants still in their final year who would graduate in a few months) and applicants who have just completed a GPR/AEGD program. I don't understand why the importance of private practice experience is losing value because it is SO critically important to have a sound foundation of restorative dentistry before doing endo!

Reactions: 9 users
Who else is feeling a little anxious that they have not gotten an interview yet?!?!

I’m trying to hang on to hope but it’s getting a little bit hard.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the nail on the head with this one!
Seeing the more recent interview invite trends, I'm beginning to feel like the importance of private practice experience is beginning to dilute a little. I've noticed more and more Endo programs interviewing fresh grads (in fact, applicants still in their final year who would graduate in a few months) and applicants who have just completed a GPR/AEGD program. I don't understand why the importance of private practice experience is losing value because it is SO critically important to have a sound foundation of restorative dentistry before doing endo!
You think PP experience is losing value? To get into endo?. That’s an interesting observation. I agree is should not lose value

If you are trying to boost your endo experience for next year, I HIGHLY recommend applying for an endodontics fellowship program. There is one in New York at Montefiore Hospital. Its a PGY2 position, its a PAID program and you get all the referrals from the gpr at Monte and also see outside referrals. I think thats a great experience for anyone wanting to get into endo and have a pre-residency program to really reinforce your decision on pursuing endo.
You can try to email the attending there Dr. Genser [email protected] and let him know you are interested or if you want more information.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
If you are trying to boost your endo experience for next year, I HIGHLY recommend applying for an endodontics fellowship program. There is one in New York at Montefiore Hospital. Its a PGY2 position, its a PAID program and you get all the referrals from the gpr at Monte and also see outside referrals. I think thats a great experience for anyone wanting to get into endo and have a pre-residency program to really reinforce your decision on pursuing endo.
You can try to email the attending there Dr. Genser [email protected] and let him know you are interested or if you want more information.
I second this. I went through this program. Even if endo ain’t your goal you’ll get good experience and being comfortable doing endo

Reactions: 2 users
You think PP experience is losing value? To get into endo?. That’s an interesting observation. I agree is should not lose value
I think GPR experience is gaining more value but private practice staying the same

Who else is feeling a little anxious that they have not gotten an interview yet?!?!

I feel you there, but still plenty of time to go 🤞🏻

IMG_1357.jpg

This is what the waiting is like. Hang in there brother you’re not alone.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I think GPR experience is gaining more value but private practice staying the same
Private practice in my mind trumps everything else. I don’t want to babysit a resident that hasn’t figured out how to talk to patients or administer profound anesthesia. I am also perplexed when a student that has done five to ten straight forward cases wants to go all in. Depending on how you look at it, the diversity of genden can be a really nice thing too.

Reactions: 7 users
I know it is Juneteenth and schools are closed, but did any school send out invitations yesterday?

The email address listed is not correct. I emailed but it says “Delivery Status Failure”. Could you provide the correct email address?

Piggy backing on this as an alum of the Monte fellowship, can’t say enough good things about my experience there. Dr Genser is the absolute best mentor, he does everything in his power to teach you endo and to get you into a program, I would not have been accepted to an endo program without that experience and I wouldn’t have been as confident as I was day 1 of my program without the experience I had from Monte.

• Love
Stony Brook update

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Harvard University -
University of Michigan -

University of Nebraska -
Columbia University -
Stony Brook University - Invite (June 17, email), Interview (July 8th)

Temple University -
Marquette University -

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Harvard University -
University of Michigan -

University of Nebraska -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - invite sent (June 19th, email), Interview July 1st
Columbia University -

Temple University -
Marquette University -

Loma Linda University -
University of Florida -
University of Iowa -
University of Maryland -
Harvard University -
University of Michigan -

University of Nebraska -
Rutgers School of Dental Medicine - invite sent (June 19th, email), Interview July 1st
Columbia University -

Temple University -
Marquette University -
Can you please share profile who got an invite for Rutgers ?

How many invites does the average applicant receive??

Guys, anyone knows how’s stonybrook program? Are residents getting enough clinical exposure?

How many invites does the average applicant receive??
For the sake of your sanity and self-confidence, please don't go down that route. Most programs have 300+ applications for 3-5 positions of which they interview 15-25. The odds of you NOT getting an interview are unfortunately much higher than getting one. I'm sure you have a very deserving profile but yet you might be struggling. It is very upsetting when nothing works out but just stay positive and persistent. It'll click when it will.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Has anyone who received an invite to UCSF heard back after confirming their attendance for the interview?

Interesting! I’ve read and heard that periodontists make less than GPs on average, that’s why it’s so easy to get into. Just like pros(they make less than GPs). 🤷‍♀️

I think perio may have a lower average salary compared to endo but higher maximum. The highest-producing perios probably produce more than endo.

I think perio may have a lower average salary compared to endo but higher maximum. The highest-producing perios probably produce more than endo.
I think that sounds reasonable. Same for GP and prosth too really. You can place more implants or crowns/veneers in an an hour or two on a big case than you can do molar endos in a day. Also, of perios I know, they are more likely to have to travel to multiple offices than endo to make a solid income.

Here’s some of the data I was thinking of. There’s a 2022 survey that didn’t have enough endodontists to generate stats.

ADA Income survey 2020 - see Table 3

• Hmm
I think that sounds reasonable. Same for GP and prosth too really. You can place more implants or crowns/veneers in an an hour or two on a big case than you can do molar endos in a day. Also, of perios I know, they are more likely to have to travel to multiple offices than endo to make a solid income.

Here’s some of the data I was thinking of. There’s a 2022 survey that didn’t have enough endodontists to generate stats.

ADA Income survey 2020 - see Table 3
It’s more than a little disheartening that dentist incomes go down as often as they go up…I hope this is not accurate 🥲

It’s more than a little disheartening that dentist incomes go down as often as they go up…I hope this is not accurate 🥲
It's a survey with a very low n value compared to all dentists/specialists... don't put a lot of weight into it. If you are good at what you do you will be successful.

Last edited:
Can endo's here share any numbers?👀
Good endos - varies between 250k-400k. Fast endos do 400k+.
"Fast" and "good" go together only occasionally in endo - usually only if all you're doing is straightforward, primary endos like with PDS/Aspen/big chains dental. I know cos I get their retreats (they usually don't do retreats or apicos).
Also, area demographics matter a lot. For eg, its easy to get paid $2500 for a molar endo in Manhattan, not so much in Oklahoma City (just an example).

Reactions: 4 users
Can endo's here share any numbers?👀
Lots of variables come into play. I’ve seen 3 days a week associates pull in $500K+. But they are fully OON, high fees, and have insane referral bases. Generally what you’ll see is how many days you choose to work will be how much $ Hundred K you bring in. 4 days/ $400K+. 5 days / $500K+. Obviously that varies. Owners will do more. Associates with higher percentage collections will do more, and faster providers will do more. The insurances you take will effect it too. But the above is a solid baseline and it’s unlikely you go below it. But don’t drool too much, it’s a damn hard job (edit: if you do it well).

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
Lots of variables come into play. I’ve seen 3 days a week associates pull in $500K+. But they are fully OON, high fees, and have insane referral bases. Generally what you’ll see is how many days you choose to work will be how much $ Hundred K you bring in. 4 days/ $400K+. 5 days / $500K+. Obviously that varies. Owners will do more. Associates with higher percentage collections will do more, and faster providers will do more. The insurances you take will effect it too. But the above is a solid baseline and it’s unlikely you go below it. But don’t drool too much, it’s a damn hard job (edit: if you do it well).
I know Endo is hard, but what personally do you find damn hard as an endodontist? And how many years have you been practicing?

I know Endo is hard, but what personally do you find damn hard as an endodontist? And how many years have you been practicing?
You get things punted to you and dentists expects immaculate results lol. You already know this answer though... calcified canals, broken files, dentist screwups, anxiety, kowtow to all refers or they will just send their pts somewhere else. Basically a perk of a genden is you can refer to a specialist. I can't refer to anyone. As @FutureDent020 said, ~100k added on to the end of the year for every day of the week you work is a good estimation.

Reactions: 3 users
More invites for UTHSCSA ... It's not over until it's over !