Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Double post.

Members don't see this ad.

Random jump in here... For how long do y'all tend to keep your old work (hardcopies)? I know I tend to hoard things and it's a habit I've been trying to break, but I get a little iffy when it comes to throwing away old course papers. I always keep things throughout the semester, but I think I will start trashing things older than a semester, unless I think it might be directly relevant in the future (additional classes, MCAT studying, lab stuff). What about y'all?

Random jump in here... For how long do y'all tend to keep your old work (hardcopies)? I know I tend to hoard things and it's a habit I've been trying to break, but I get a little iffy when it comes to throwing away old course papers. I always keep things throughout the semester, but I think I will start trashing things older than a semester, unless I think it might be directly relevant in the future (additional classes, MCAT studying, lab stuff). What about y'all?
I keep graded papers/lab reports, if the professor wrote good comments. I also keep final exams and whatnot, if the subject was interesting and the exam was well-written. Otherwise, I've finally gotten myself to stop hoarding them, even MCAT-relevant coursework!

Some of it is really valuable, though, so don't go throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I have a series of 8 or so papers from this one course I took...they all have paragraph-long commentary on the front, as well as extensive marking and discussion remarks throughout all 5 pages (even the most well-written one.)
I keep them because it was the most incredibly intense learning experience I ever had...5 page paper every other week, 2 person class, and intense discussions with the most demanding and no-nonsense professor I have ever had the privilege to meet. My first papers were torn to shreds. My final paper finally earned the incredibly rare honor of a short "Excellent work" summary. It's the best documentary of personal growth I am ever likely to get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also slightly random…but who else here uses Anki flashcards to study? I find them so helpful, and the statistics tool is very nice and can easily be custom changed.

Also slightly random…but who else here uses Anki flashcards to study? I find them so helpful, and the statistics tool is very nice and can easily be custom changed.
Haha, check my sig! I am basically a walking Anki propaganda machine. I spent a lot of time researching study tactics before beginning my academic reinvention, and I settled on Anki-only notes/study as the most efficient/effective technique. I've spent the last 2yrs learning how to use it well so that I can (hopefully) use it moving into med school!

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, check my sig! I am basically a walking Anki propaganda machine. I spent a lot of time researching study tactics before beginning my academic reinvention, and I settled on Anki-only notes/study as the most efficient/effective technique. I've spent the last 2yrs learning how to use it well so that I can (hopefully) use it moving into med school!

That's awesome! I'm rather new to Anki, so I'm still trying to get used to it. But, in the short time I've employed it for my studying, it's worked wonders!

Reactions: 1 user
By the way, has anyone else had difficulty with the 'Alerts' function since a few updates ago? I can no longer mouseover the alerts to see the recent ones...I have to click on it and go to the Latest Alerts page, which is annoying af.

By the way, has anyone else had difficulty with the 'Alerts' function since a few updates ago? I can no longer mouseover the alerts to see the recent ones...I have to click on it and go to the Latest Alerts page, which is annoying af.

Hm I personally haven't been experiencing that problem, but I'm new here so I don't really remember what's normal haha

Golden Rule on SDN: NEVER be a troll hunter.

Take it from personal experience :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

Looks like the OP trolled you all! I knew it and wanted to prevent this thread from heading there, but ah well.
All hail the high and mighty Lawper! He was smarter than all of us, called the troll from a mile away. He didn't contribute to the actual discussion that ended up springing from the thread, but damned if he didn't make sure to stop in and gloat, contributing nothing. He is an example we should all strive to imitate.

Completely smashed (though this was back when I was a newbie idiot on SDN :naughty:)

Golden Rule on SDN: NEVER be a troll hunter.

Take it from personal experience :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

Completely smashed (though this was back when I was a newbie idiot on SDN :naughty:)
:( :(
upload_2015-5-17_22-24-53.jpeg

So, I used to love riding my motorcycle, but it kind of sucks in CA so I've mostly stopped.
BUT...the rest of my family just got dirt bikes.

So I am going to test my mom's bike out on the baby track tomorrow, and if I like it, I think I'll splurge on a little 250cc for myself! :soexcited:

Just got some awesome news….500 hours of observation and internship at hospital, centers, and clinics in my local area! Should be a good summer :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I used to love riding my motorcycle, but it kind of sucks in CA so I've mostly stopped.
BUT...the rest of my family just got dirt bikes.

So I am going to test my mom's bike out on the baby track tomorrow, and if I like it, I think I'll splurge on a little 250cc for myself! :soexcited:

Why does it suck to ride in CA? Is it the crappy roads or you don't like the drivers?

Why does it suck to ride in CA? Is it the crappy roads or you don't like the drivers?
Both. But mainly it's just that there are very few collateral roads. You kind of have to take the highway to the cool rides, whereas on the East coast I could always find a fun way to get between point A and point B where I was already going.

First 10 clinical hours down today. 17 patients and a lot of Echo's later…
…some of the patients' reactions to the cath lab and transesophageal echocardiogram suggestions were priceless. One guy stood up, screamed, "They suck!" and left.

Hey @mehc012, how come you didn't celebrate your 6,000th post?! That's a pretty impressive milestone! :claps:
Haha, because I totally didn't notice. :smack: Thanks for pointing that out!

Also, wow, I need to get off the internet and work on my app some. :sorry:

Hi everyone! I just discovered the existence of this thread, so I thought I'd drop in and say hello. Anyone else here watching the Stanley Cup right now?

Congrats @mehc012 on breaking 4K likes! On the first day of AMCAS submission too! :soexcited::soexcited:
Glad I've got you guys to keep track for me, I always forget!
I will definitely partay if I ever make it to the 'Most Likes' page tho!

Yeah, it's insane. Likes were only implemented in the last year or so.
I will occasionally garner a Like from LizzyM or Goro or something, and I always feel as if those should count double :laugh:

Hahahaha I totally agree! Same with Catalystik and gyngyn.

Best of luck to you rising seniors/recent graduates who are applying to med school soon! My journey has just begun...

Blergh, just submitted my Academic Change Request. I didn't really want to, but it seemed best to make sure everything was 100% accurate.

Is it a bad thing that I'm looking forward to organic chemistry and advanced microbiology, or is that typical of a SD user?

Is it a bad thing that I'm looking forward to organic chemistry and advanced microbiology, or is that typical of a SD user?
I loved those classes, so no judgement here!

Hey, I don't know if you've heard of Figure 1 before but it is a pretty cool app, sort of like Instagram but for medical photos. People share images and discuss cases and you can practice your clinical skills.

Check it out: http://download.figure1.com/summer2015?m=Dyscalculia

50-50 on your non-med friends thinking this is awesome vs. gross

Last edited:
I loved those classes, so no judgement here!

Haha ok good! I figured some people on this site would have to love them…though, that's probably pretty rare. Surprisingly enough, however, I know a plethora of physicians that absolutely loved organic chemistry. They were probably the ones who didn't totally fail it...

Haha ok good! I figured some people on this site would have to love them…though, that's probably pretty rare. Surprisingly enough, however, I know a plethora of physicians that absolutely loved organic chemistry. They were probably the ones who didn't totally fail it...
I didn't do great in it, but I did choose it as a major!

I love organic! :love: