This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think you have to wait to be invited to write the McGovern secondary either. Current applicants, do you have to create a McGovern log-in to submit the secondary?

I received an invitation from McGovern with a log-in. They were one of the first to send it to me so I thought it was automated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I called McGovern and they had to manually send me a secondary because the automated didn't go through. That can't be a good sign lol

So I called McGovern and they had to manually send me a secondary because the automated didn't go through. That can't be a good sign lol
Probably just a glitch. Some email systems like Outlook or some college based email systems might be too sensitive with spam filters, so if your email system allows, be sure to mark all the med schools as “safe” senders.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I heard that you are required to list everything you did from beginning of college to August 2020 even if it’s completely unrelated to medical school apps? For example, If I went on vacation for several months, do I just say “vacation” and say something like “I went back to my home country to see my family and relatives”? Also, do I just list this in leisure section?

@wysdoc do you know how important it is to not leave any gaps in your timeline?

Last edited:
This is a very minor question. Should I include hobbies in the planned activities section?

So I heard that you are required to list everything you did from beginning of college to August 2020 even if it’s completely unrelated to medical school apps? For example, If I went on vacation for several months, do I just say “vacation” and say something like “I went back to my home country to see my family and relatives”? Also, do I just list this in leisure section?

@wysdoc do you know how important it is to not leave any gaps in your timeline?
There should be no gaps greater than 3 months. If you were on a longer vacation like that during your college years, and had no other types of activities during that time like online classes, work, or volunteering, yes you may list the time as travel or international travel with a start and end date. This will probably fill in the time during that summer so you don't have any gaps.

I have been working and living in Texas since last summer so it has been about a year. I used to live in another state before.

Is this considered "work assignment" for determining residency?

There are several options in the drop down menu in the section for determining residency such as "go to college", "establish/maintain a home", "work assignment", and "other".

I'm not sure which one to pick. Can anyone please help me? :) @wysdoc @JustAUser

Do you (or your parents) own a home in Texas? Then you can choose "establish/maintain a home"

Otherwise, I think work assignment is the better option. @wysdoc can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

You'll also need to provide supporting documents. You meet the "Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1" and you will just need to show that you have been working for the past 12 consecutive months for "an average of at least 20 hrs per week or pay stubs for 12 consecutive months prior to the census date indicating the hours worked per week, reflecting significant gainful employment in Texas."
I am not sure what the census date is.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been working and living in Texas since last summer so it has been about a year. I used to live in another state before.

Is this considered "work assignment" for determining residency?

There are several options in the drop down menu in the section for determining residency such as "go to college", "establish/maintain a home", "work assignment", and "other".

I'm not sure which one to pick. Can anyone please help me? :) @wysdoc @JustAUser
Yes, living and working (20 hours a week or more, not a college work-study job) in Texas for more than 12 months by Oct 1 2019 will be your qualifier.

I noticed that we can download the pdf of our TMDSAS. Is this the way it exactly looks to admission officers? Do they use the pdf files to view the apps?

I noticed that we can download the pdf of our TMDSAS. Is this the way it exactly looks to admission officers? Do they use the pdf files to view the apps?
I don’t know if that’s how they read the apps, but downloading it as a .pdf and looking it over is a good way to double check that none of your essays got cut off or went over the space allowed.

Does anyone have an idea on when Sam and UH programs will gain accreditation and start accepting applications?

My app is going to be a bit late unfortunately (I submitted June 19th, but my summer class has to finish in order for my academic fresh start to be reflected on my TMDSAS app before it can be processed and passed on to the schools I’m applying to). I’m also going to be hindered by a late MCAT date (August 2nd). Those two schools are likely my best bet at giving my application a fair shake.

Last edited:
Does anyone have an idea on when Sam and UH programs will gain accreditation and start accepting applications?

My app is going to be a bit late unfortunately (I submitted June 19th, but my summer class has to finish in order for my academic fresh start to be reflected on my TMDSAS app before it can be processed and passed on to the schools I’m applying to). I’m also going to be hindered by a late MCAT date (August 2nd). Those two schools are likely my best bet at giving my application a fair shake.
The accreditation visits and meetings happen in October and their findings will be reported a few months later. Applications, if the schools pass muster, will probably open up anytime between November and February for a quick application season.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Yes.

During one of my interviews, I saw my application on one of my interview's tablets. It was pretty much exactly the PDF that is generated when you generate a PDF from TMDSAS.

I’m guessing tmdsas only does processing during weekdays right? I’m just trying to get a sense of when my app will be processed and sent to schools

I’m guessing tmdsas only does processing during weekdays right? I’m just trying to get a sense of when my app will be processed and sent to schools
Yes, only Monday through Friday.
Unfortunately you can still write essays on the weekends though!

For my TMDSAS primary, one of the essays talked about life experiences and disadvantages that I had overcome. For secondaries that also ask about disadvantages overcome, is it okay to copy/paste the original essay, or should I write N/A? Its not an experience that can really be reworded differently

For my TMDSAS primary, one of the essays talked about life experiences and disadvantages that I had overcome. For secondaries that also ask about disadvantages overcome, is it okay to copy/paste the original essay, or should I write N/A? Its not an experience that can really be reworded differently
Do not copy and paste the same thing, it will make you look lazy. And since your main essay featured your struggles, it is not N/A.
Instead of repeating the whole story, you could say you discussed this topic in your main primary essay about XYZ. Then bring out another way it shaped your motivation, inspired you to PQRS, made you never want to be in ABCD circumstances, showed you sympathy for WXY, or made you try to be stronger then LMNOP.

Hi Everyone - relatively new Texas resident here! I've been in Texas since Feb 2018 and just decided to apply to medical school the first week of this month.

My stats are not super competitive, so I am only considering 2 schools for TMDSAS. My issue is that I can submit tonight, but I'm wondering if I should bother with it. It will cost $235 (with secondaries) and it is so late in the cycle.

MCAT 504 (retaking in September). GPA is complicated but 3.3-3.4 (have 40+ college credits from my failing high school days). I was recommended to apply via TMDSAS to take advantage of my Texas residency, but I'm not sure if it will matter since I haven't done much in Texas beside work and get a master's degree. People always say "don't apply TMDSAS unless you have strong ties to Texas." Honestly, I don't even know what that means... so I'm pretty sure I don't.

Schools of Interest:
UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (506, 3.63)
UT Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine (508, 3.58)

Any advice within the next four hours would be helpful! Lol.

Reason for concern:

Hi Everyone - relatively new Texas resident here! I've been in Texas since Feb 2018 and just decided to apply to medical school the first week of this month.

My stats are not super competitive, so I am only considering 2 schools for TMDSAS. My issue is that I can submit tonight, but I'm wondering if I should bother with it. It will cost $235 (with secondaries) and it is so late in the cycle.

MCAT 504 (retaking in September). GPA is complicated but 3.3-3.4 (have 40+ college credits from my failing high school days). I was recommended to apply via TMDSAS to take advantage of my Texas residency, but I'm not sure if it will matter since I haven't done much in Texas beside work and get a master's degree. People always say "don't apply TMDSAS unless you have strong ties to Texas." Honestly, I don't even know what that means... so I'm pretty sure I don't.

Schools of Interest:
UNTHSC Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (506, 3.63)
UT Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine (508, 3.58)

Any advice within the next four hours would be helpful! Lol.

Reason for concern:

https://www.tmdsas.com/Forms/EY17,18-ApplyingEarlyTMDSAS.pdf

You are a Texas resident. That's all that matters. I'm assuming you're applying OOS. Why didn't you apply to the TX schools already? TMDSAS opens a month before AMCAS so you're quite late in terms of applying and would have a better chance applying next year since your MCAT and GPA is also on the low side.

If you apply today, it's still risky. You won't get transmitted to schools for maybe about 2 weeks. (Right now, they're on applications submitted on 7/15.) UT RGV screens before they send a secondary. By the time you submit the secondaries, it'll be much later into the cycle. And especially considering all the schools have already been sending out interview invites and prematches start to go out Oct 15th, I can't recommend it. If you're already applying to other non-TX schools, then you might as well go all out. But from what I know, OOS schools don't take TX residents (unless you're a superstar) because they know we're most likely to stay in TX because of the lower costs of tuition.

You are a Texas resident. That's all that matters. I'm assuming you're applying OOS. Why didn't you apply to the TX schools already? TMDSAS opens a month before AMCAS so you're quite late in terms of applying and would have a better chance applying next year since your MCAT and GPA is also on the low side.

If you apply today, it's still risky. You won't get transmitted to schools for maybe about 2 weeks. (Right now, they're on applications submitted on 7/15.) UT RGV screens before they send a secondary. By the time you submit the secondaries, it'll be much later into the cycle. And especially considering all the schools have already been sending out interview invites and prematches start to go out Oct 15th, I can't recommend it. If you're already applying to other non-TX schools, then you might as well go all out. But from what I know, OOS schools don't take TX residents (unless you're a superstar) because they know we're most likely to stay in TX because of the lower costs of tuition.

I'm mostly applying OOS, since I am 100% East Coast. I wasn't prepared to apply earlier, unfortunately. I finally completed my AACOMAS applications yesterday and am finishing the last 1,325 characters of my AMACAS application now. I was simply going to copy and paste as much as possible to get TMDSAS out of the way. Waiting to apply until next year isn't even something I'm interested in, especially because I'm only applying to those two TX schools and don't have any preference to stay in Texas. Looks like it would still be a money gamble though.

I actually wanted to keep my east coast residency when applying (since I still have evidence that could prove I might still be a resident if need be), but I ran into some issues within the application trying to do it that way. I hope I am not penalized for being a Texas resident. My driver's license and tags are not even Texas. I moved here because of military affiliation.

I'm mostly applying OOS, since I am 100% East Coast. I wasn't prepared to apply earlier, unfortunately. I finally completed my AACOMAS applications yesterday and am finishing the last 1,325 characters of my AMACAS application now. I was simply going to copy and paste as much as possible to get TMDSAS out of the way. Waiting to apply until next year isn't even something I'm interested in, especially because I'm only applying to those two TX schools and don't have any preference to stay in Texas. Looks like it would still be a money gamble though.

I actually wanted to keep my east coast residency when applying (since I still have evidence that could prove I might still be a resident if need be), but I ran into some issues within the application trying to do it that way. I hope I am not penalized for being a Texas resident. My driver's license and tags are not even Texas. I moved here because of military affiliation.
You can’t have it both ways. With your stats your chances are best in TX as a TX resident or at DO schools.

Actually, I thought I would be able to submit tonight but nobody warned me of some of the questions on this application. SAT score? (I didn't even know what the SAT was when I was taking it... let alone what my scores were). Size of high school class? This was 8 years ago. :cryi: This is stressful. And why don't these application systems let you put more than one high school? I think that should be an added feature, just like it is for colleges we went to.

Too late to submit secondary for OOS applicant? Wasn’t planning on it bc of the insane OOS accepted stats. Just finished my other secondaries (40) and got II to Long and UTMB. It’s only $60 but don’t want to waste it

3.7/517+/URM

Too late to submit secondary for OOS applicant? Wasn’t planning on it bc of the insane OOS accepted stats. Just finished my other secondaries (40) and got II to Long and UTMB. It’s only $60 but don’t want to waste it

3.7/517+/URM
Not too late for secondaries - go for it

OKAY, wanna-be Texans & Texans, Interview season is officially in the works!

Here are the dates of the first interview invitations that have gone out from each Texas MD and DO school. More will be coming over the next 4-5 months!

6/27 Texas Tech Lubbock
6/28 UTMB
7/8 TCOM (DO)
7/10 Texas A & M
7/12 UIWSOM (DO)
7/16 Dell
7/16 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)
7/17 McGovern
7/18 UTSW
7/23 Baylor (AMCAS)
7/23 Long SOM
7/26 UTRGV
??? TCU and UNTHSC SOM (AMCAS) hasn't invited for secondaries yet, interviews later

Tips for scheduling:
1. If you can't make an interview date due to VALID reason (other interview that day, final exam in a class) politely communicate "I am unable to make that interview date, could I ask for a date in the near future?" If you KNOW you have another date conflict coming up, say that at the same time: "I am so excited to be invited for an interview, I can be there any date EXCEPT Sept 99th."
2. Of course those schools that offer you a few dates to choose from make this process easier. Yes, they want to fill their early dates first. So should you!
3. Interviews are NOT made on the basis of application submission date. Except obviously if you haven't submitted yet, they can't invite you. Wrap up those secondary application essays ASAP!

Good luck to you all, and remember that interview invitations will keep coming out over the next few months.
AFTER the official application deadline for TMDSAS (October 1) the schools will have their entire set of applicants to review as a whole. Some of the people they have already looked at and said "maybe we will interview them" could move up to the Interview Invite group.

for fun: What interview outfit errors do you spot in this smiley bunch of cartoon interview folks?
Wysdoc

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how long Texas schools typically allow for you to respond to an interview invite? I'm sure this is school-specific, but I ask because I am going out of the country for 6 days and will be without internet/cell service. I don't want to end up in a situation where I miss a possible II

Does anyone know how long Texas schools typically allow for you to respond to an interview invite? I'm sure this is school-specific, but I ask because I am going out of the country for 6 days and will be without internet/cell service. I don't want to end up in a situation where I miss a possible II

Maybe you can let the school know in advance that you won't be available on those days? cause I would hate to miss out on a good news.

How should applicants react to transcripts that should have been received and processed? TMDSAS has two transcripts pending, but I have confirmation that they were submitted August 5th-6th - not that long ago, however, all other transcripts that were sent in that same night have already been processed. Is it wise just to resend the transcripts or is there someone you can actually contact to resolve the mystery?

Side note: I had this same issue with a recommendation letter from Interfolio. All 4 letters were sent at the same time and updated within 24 hours, and there is one that is still marked "not received" after all this time. I already resubmitted this since it will not cost money.

How should applicants react to transcripts that should have been received and processed? TMDSAS has two transcripts pending, but I have confirmation that they were submitted August 5th-6th - not that long ago, however, all other transcripts that were sent in that same night have already been processed. Is it wise just to resend the transcripts or is there someone you can actually contact to resolve the mystery?

Side note: I had this same issue with a recommendation letter from Interfolio. All 4 letters were sent at the same time and updated within 24 hours, and there is one that is still marked "not received" after all this time. I already resubmitted this since it will not cost money.
TMDSAS will transmit your application without the transcripts, and send them to schools when they arrive.

TMDSAS will transmit your application without the transcripts, and send them to schools when they arrive.
Thank you for the response! So should I hold tight on resubmitting transcripts or go ahead and assume they were lost?

Thank you for the response! So should I hold tight on resubmitting transcripts or go ahead and assume they were lost?
Do not resubmit. If in 3 weeks you don’t see them logged in send a message to TMDSAS from your logged in account.

Hi! I took a summer course at a community college and thought I had submitted the transcript after the course finished, but I realized I had done it for AAMC and forgotten for TMDSAS. On the status page of my TMDSAS transcript section it says not received under my community college since I obviously had not sent it in. I sent the transcript last night, however I was wondering if this affects your ability to pre-match? Also does it need to be processed by them by October 15th to consider my primary complete (the rest of my app was complete early May)?

Last edited:
Hi! I took a summer course at a community college and thought I had submitted the transcript after the course finished, but I realized I had done it for AAMC and forgotten for TMDSAS. On the status page of my TMDSAS transcript section it says not received under my community college since I obviously had not sent it in. I sent the transcript last night, however I was wondering if this affects your ability to pre-match? Also does it need to be processed by them by October 15th to consider my primary complete (the rest of my app was complete early May)?

They are mostly caught up, so they'll have it processed fairly quickly. I'm not sure how it may affect your prematch, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Your app was sent (transmitted) to schools without the transcript. Glad you caught the omission though and just get it sent to TMDSAS now.

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know what the "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal" button on the TMDSAS application portal is? I know pre-matches aren't released until October 15th so was curious as to what this was...

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know what the "Pre-Match Offer Withdrawal" button on the TMDSAS application portal is? I know pre-matches aren't released until October 15th so was curious as to what this was...
If you were to get more than one pre-match offer and are very sure you won’t choose one of them in the end, you may withdraw yourself from consideration at that school by pressing the button.
Match Day kind of does that for you by narrowing you down to one school.
Most people just enjoy getting offers and let Match Day sort it out for them.

Hey Guys, I'm really upset because I fear that one of my letter writers have gone ghost. I'm applying to the texas schools that require a minimum of 3 letters and I only have the two. Have anyone experienced this ? Having less than the required LOR amount and what did you do and were you successful?

If you were to get more than one pre-match offer and are very sure you won’t choose one of them in the end, you may withdraw yourself from consideration at that school by pressing the button.
Match Day kind of does that for you by narrowing you down to one school.
Most people just enjoy getting offers and let Match Day sort it out for them.
Should we rank our schools as we interview?

Does anyone know at what time the pre-match acceptances are Sent ? Midnight, trickle during the night, or trickle over days? Only 4 days left.

Does anyone know at what time the pre-match acceptances are Sent ? Midnight, trickle during the night, or trickle over days? Only 4 days left.
Last year's times: 3 schools jumped on it at midnight last year, the rest through the morning.
Dell & UTRGV did theirs by phone, and Baylor sent some out a few days later.
I think Baylor said they will send out offers starting in mid November, not changing to an October date like TMDSAS did this year.

Last year's times: 3 schools jumped on it at midnight last year, the rest through the morning.
Dell & UTRGV did theirs by phone, and Baylor sent some out a few days later.
I think Baylor said they will send out offers starting in mid November, not changing to an October date like TMDSAS did this year.
Which 3 schools jumped on it at midnight? McGovern and Long?

How does prematch work exactly? Is it chronological ? I mean, if you interview early in the season eg August, does that mean you get prematched early if you are to receive one? Does it mean if you interview early and you do not get prematched, that you likely won’t prematch? Do people with average stats get prematch? Or only the superstats folks?! Sorry for so many questions !

How does prematch work exactly? Is it chronological ? I mean, if you interview early in the season eg August, does that mean you get prematched early if you are to receive one? Does it mean if you interview early and you do not get prematched, that you likely won’t prematch? Do people with average stats get prematch? Or only the superstats folks?! Sorry for so many questions !

@penicillinman I'm going to send you over to this link to watch the TMDSAS video about the Match. The TMDSAS Match

Each school may have its own strategy, some like to make many pre-match offers, and others not so many, preferring to see MORE of their interviewed applicants before coming up with their list of admission offers.
It is not chronological, except that obviously those with interviews scheduled for December won't be hearing back from those schools now.
It is not only high-stats applicants who get these offers, but also those who made a great impression at their interview.

I like to look at it this way: A school that has already interviewed you and REALLY WANTS YOU IN THEIR CLASS will make an offer now.
From your standpoint, it is nice to be wanted, and with an offer you can worry less.
Maybe you will have more interviews in the future, but maybe when it comes down to ranking and deciding on schools, you will have a fond place in your heart for the one who offered you admission first.

If you still have questions after looking at the TMDSAS info, I can try to answer them.
Wysdoc

@penicillinman I'm going to send you over to this link to watch the TMDSAS video about the Match. The TMDSAS Match

Each school may have its own strategy, some like to make many pre-match offers, and others not so many, preferring to see MORE of their interviewed applicants before coming up with their list of admission offers.
It is not chronological, except that obviously those with interviews scheduled for December won't be hearing back from those schools now.
It is not only high-stats applicants who get these offers, but also those who made a great impression at their interview.

I like to look at it this way: A school that has already interviewed you and REALLY WANTS YOU IN THEIR CLASS will make an offer now.
From your standpoint, it is nice to be wanted, and with an offer you can worry less.
Maybe you will have more interviews in the future, but maybe when it comes down to ranking and deciding on schools, you will have a fond place in your heart for the one who offered you admission first.

If you still have questions after looking at the TMDSAS info, I can try to answer them.
Wysdoc

Thank you !

Hello! I'm sorry I'm new to this so I'm just replying to this with my own problem that I need help in. I'm currently in community college and I have taken quite a few classes and wish to take most of the major classes like physics 1, bio 1 & 2, calc and general chemistry 1 & 2 this upcoming year, Spring 2020. I am thinking if applying to med school in July of 2020 is a good idea for me or not. I have a 4.0 gpa in science classes and a cumulative gpa of 3.85. I plan on taking my MCAT in January/March of 2020. I am very hopeful that I will do good because I'm very strong in my sciences and math. I have a lot of volunteering hours, clinical and non clinical and paid (3000+ all together). I am also starting to scribe and I have 60 hours of experience, shadowing 4 specialities. And I am starting research next semester, as well. How strong of a candidate would I be for med school? Would med schools consider taking me or not at all? Do you think it's better that I wait till 2021, after completing my bachelors then apply or would it be worth it to try? Please help! I'd love all the feedback I could get. Thank you!

I interviewed at TCOM and UTMB and got a prematch at TCOM. UTMB, being close to home, is my first choice school and I intend on placing it as number 1 in the match on TMDSAS. Is there any scenario in which I could not get UTMB and lose out on my seat at TCOM due to the match ?

I interviewed at TCOM and UTMB and got a prematch at TCOM. UTMB, being close to home, is my first choice school and I intend on placing it as number 1 in the match on TMDSAS. Is there any scenario in which I could not get UTMB and lose out on my seat at TCOM due to the match ?
You are perfectly safe to do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.