*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

Fun1nth3sun1

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2014
Do most TMDSAS schools require you to take the CASPer test before they can review your application or would that depend on the particular school?

About the Ads

Fun1nth3sun1

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2014
Texas Tech Paul Foster and UTMB have stated they want to look at it before they decide on interview invitations.
Oh okay Thank you for the clarification. I had the impression that Sam houston may be the same way because in an email that was sent to me, it stated that the application would not be reviewed until CASPer exam score and secondaries/fees are received. It was from my understanding, that it was the case.

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Oh okay Thank you for the clarification. I had the impression that Sam houston may be the same way because in an email that was sent to me, it stated that the application would not be reviewed until CASPer exam score and secondaries/fees are received. It was from my understanding, that it was the case.
That may be their policy as well, sounds like they spell it out as you quoted. I haven’t been following the SHSU info much this app cycle.

Jul 17, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Would anybody be able to give me advice on if it's entirely too late to submit TMDSAS? I applied early decision to my state school and was released from it today, so I was thinking of submitting if people don't think it would be a total waste. I am OOS, 3.75/519. My TMDSAS is basically already done. I still would need to take Casper at some point. Thanks everyone

Mar 23, 2019
@wysdoc do summer grade updates slow down application reviews? I took a course over the summer that wasn’t a pre-requisite, and was wondering whether this would slow down things. I submitted all my secondaries by 7/15, but still no interviews :-( . I just don’t want to slow things down more

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
@wysdoc do summer grade updates slow down application reviews? I took a course over the summer that wasn’t a pre-requisite, and was wondering whether this would slow down things. I submitted all my secondaries by 7/15, but still no interviews :-( . I just don’t want to slow things down more

1. Since your application is already verified and submitted to the schools, it will not slow anything down.
2. Be sure you entered the summer courses in your course list on TMDSAS portal. Term attended, course title, credit hours, and grade.(It is one of the things you can edit after the app is submitted.)
3. TMDSAS will recalculate your grades and send an update to all your schools.
pg 51 TMDSAS manual:

" Update grades at the end of each term completed: Be sure to update us with your new grades/ changes to planned coursework between the application deadline and planned entry date – summer 2021. All new grades will be verified and new TMDSAS GPAs will be computed and made available to your designated schools. To do so, simply log back into the application and update the [College Coursework] section."

4. Remember, you don't need to send transcripts yet. TMDSAS will ask you for them later (around October).

Mar 23, 2019
1. Since your application is already verified and submitted to the schools, it will not slow anything down.
2. Be sure you entered the summer courses in your course list on TMDSAS portal. Term attended, course title, credit hours, and grade.(It is one of the things you can edit after the app is submitted.)
3. TMDSAS will recalculate your grades and send an update to all your schools.
pg 51 TMDSAS manual:

" Update grades at the end of each term completed: Be sure to update us with your new grades/ changes to planned coursework between the application deadline and planned entry date – summer 2021. All new grades will be verified and new TMDSAS GPAs will be computed and made available to your designated schools. To do so, simply log back into the application and update the [College Coursework] section."

4. Remember, you don't need to send transcripts yet. TMDSAS will ask you for them later (around October).
Also does inputting summer grades even help or hurt? I got a B in a summer course recently, and was wondering if this would negatively effect my chances I would have 9 Bs total after this

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Also does inputting summer grades even help or hurt? I got a B in a summer course recently, and was wondering if this would negatively effect my chances I would have 9 Bs total after this
it's your grade, be proud of it!
One B -vs- A will have little effect on your total GPA at this point. I suggest updating your TMDSAS courses on the portal. Are you still a student for fall term as well?

Mar 23, 2019
it's your grade, be proud of it!
One B -vs- A will have little effect on your total GPA at this point. I suggest updating your TMDSAS courses on the portal. Are you still a student for fall term as well?
Yes, I am a student this fall as well. I was thinking of updating at the end of the fall semester, and was wondering if that was a good idea

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
Mar 6, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Is there any way to know what percentage of interview invites have already been sent out? I am feeling nervous lately haha, I have two total and silence from everywhere else.

la flame

2+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
What is the weather like in TX? How does it compare to Cali? Does it snow in TX?

its pretty different everywhere lol Texas is huge. In South Texas (RGV), it doesn't hit the 50's until December lol... In Central Texas (Austin area), it has snowed (barely) like twice in the last 20 years lol. I haven't lived in Dallas but from what I've seen on social media, that's probably where you will see the most snow

Nov 8, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
its pretty different everywhere lol Texas is huge. In South Texas (RGV), it doesn't hit the 50's until December lol... In Central Texas (Austin area), it has snowed (barely) like twice in the last 20 years lol. I haven't lived in Dallas but from what I've seen on social media, that's probably where you will see the most snow

Lived in Dallas for 5 years now, we’ve only gotten REAL snow once and it was in 2015. Since then we either get nothing at all or some that melts before it hits the ground

• Haha
Oct 19, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
What is the weather like in TX? How does it compare to Cali? Does it snow in TX?
Houston is hot and humid. We have hurricanes. Rains quite a bit. Very muggy. Snowed 3-4 times since I’ve been alive, I think last time was maybe 2 years ago but I was in Dallas so I didn’t experience it,
Galveston is like Houston but worse.
I lived in Dallas for undergrad and it’s a bit cooler and not nearly as humid. Rains just as much. Never snowed while I was there, also rare but probably more likely.
Lubbock is out west closer to the panhandle. It snows often. But it’s Lubbock.
El Paso is in the desert and my dry skin suffered when I stayed there last year.
Texas is huge so the climate varies. Personally I think DFW is the best.

Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads
Mar 1, 2020
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Houston is hot and humid. We have hurricanes. Rains quite a bit. Very muggy. Snowed 3-4 times since I’ve been alive, I think last time was maybe 2 years ago but I was in Dallas so I didn’t experience it,
Galveston is like Houston but worse.
I lived in Dallas for undergrad and it’s a bit cooler and not nearly as humid. Rains just as much. Never snowed while I was there, also rare but probably more likely.
Lubbock is out west closer to the panhandle. It snows often. But it’s Lubbock.
El Paso is in the desert and my dry skin suffered when I stayed there last year.
Texas is huge so the climate varies. Personally I think DFW is the best.

Thanks, is Galveston like a beach town? On a map, it seems to be like an island lol. And, any storms while you were in Dallas or was it pretty normal?

Mar 1, 2020
Status
You ain't from around these parts, are ya?

No lol. I'm from Cali and I really like the weather here. Curious what's it like cause ideally I'd like a place where I can drive my car year round (little snow) and no crazy storms. TX is pretty close to CA too, so I figured some overlap. As a kid, I used to watch King of the Hill and always wanted to move to TX because of that show. But, I was too afraid to apply cause I'm OOS. But I decided to shoot my shot now that I'm a reapp and I got 2 TX IIs :)

Oct 19, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks, is Galveston like a beach town? On a map, it seems to be like an island lol. And, any storms while you were in Dallas or was it pretty normal?
Along time ago (really long time ago) Galveston used to be a beach town. While people still live there, most people have relocated because tropical storms and hurricanes repeatedly devastate the area. Also it’s definitely one of the uglier beaches on the gulf with shrubbery all around and brown water. Most people in Texas go to South Padre Island for the beach feel. But yeah Galveston is an island! Not much to do there but it’s very close to Houston (only 30 mins from me) so you can head into the city if you have time.
As for Dallas, yes we did have storms while I was there. We also had hail just last year as well as a tornado. It rains pretty fiercely in east Texas but it’s mostly normal.

actually I used to watch king of the hill and I always thought Arlen (?) was based off of Arlington, maybe because of the name? I hope this cycle goes well for you and welcome to Texas in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 18, 2019
Is it a horrible idea to submit my primary this week? I know in a normal cycle it would be very late, but I'm not sure how things are progressing this cycle. I am not totally opposed to holding off until next cycle, but I it would be another year of delaying... I think I know the answer to this deep down, but I guess I need other people to confirm that I would be shooting myself in the foot.

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Is it a horrible idea to submit my primary this week? I know in a normal cycle it would be very late, but I'm not sure how things are progressing this cycle. I am not totally opposed to holding off until next cycle, but I it would be another year of delaying... I think I know the answer to this deep down, but I guess I need other people to confirm that I would be shooting myself in the foot.
I think you know the answer, @anonmeds. It will be far, far better to wait and submit a Texas application early in the next cycle. Early means May, June, or July.

TMDSAS is still taking about a month to verify apps, which means your app wouldn't be transmitted to the TX schools until October 23!
Then there are your secondaries to do, letters to submit, you get the idea. Next cycle your MCAT score will still be valid, and you will have a chance to be fully considered as an applicant.

Mar 1, 2020
Status
@wysdoc how long do TX interview cycles go to typically? I was complete at most TX schools at the end of Aug. I received secondaries from all schools except Houston and Dell. Curious if there is a chance of getting those or more iis? I got 2 TX iis as an OOS student this year.

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
@wysdoc how long do TX interview cycles go to typically? I was complete at most TX schools at the end of Aug. I received secondaries from all schools except Houston and Dell. Curious if there is a chance of getting those or more iis? I got 2 TX iis as an OOS student this year.
This year TMDSAS schools will interview through January and Baylor usually has one last interview day after TMDSAS match day. Settle in to wait and if still a student, send your grades after fall term

Mar 23, 2019
I submitted my secondary back 06/01, was processed early 07/08 and had all my TMDSAS secondaries in by 07/15. I have yet to hear from any of the TMDSAS schools, and I am a TX resident with a 512 mcat (129 c/p, 126 cars, 129 b/b, 128 p/s). I also have a 3.77 TMDSAS cGPA and a 3.74 TMDSAS sGPA. Should I start worrying now since October is approaching or do you guys need more stats for a more complete picture?

Oct 1, 2019
Status
  1. Non-Student
I submitted my secondary back 06/01, was processed early 07/08 and had all my TMDSAS secondaries in by 07/15. I have yet to hear from any of the TMDSAS schools, and I am a TX resident with a 512 mcat (129 c/p, 126 cars, 129 b/b, 128 p/s). I also have a 3.77 TMDSAS cGPA and a 3.74 TMDSAS sGPA. Should I start worrying now since October is approaching or do you guys need more stats for a more complete picture?
I have similar stats and haven’t heard back either. I was complete everywhere mid July. My worry is that maybe it’s my Casper at those schools that require it :(

• Sad
About the Ads

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Most of the TX schools have sent out interview invites, but definitely not all of their interview invites.
The waiting is hard. There's nothing more to do at the moment.
Another weird thing about this cycle is that with the primary application deadline being pushed back to October 30, the schools won't be able to look over their total pool of applicants until some time in November. They may keep reviewing the pool of earlier applicants in comparison to the latecomers to make their final interview invites in Nov. and Dec.

clumsy.md

2+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
@wysdoc Do you know if UTMB or McGovern accept letters of intent? I couldn't find anything on their websites but I'm not sure if you have experience with either of those schools.

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
@wysdoc Do you know if UTMB or McGovern accept letters of intent? I couldn't find anything on their websites but I'm not sure if you have experience with either of those schools.
I don’t know, but the time to send those, if you do, is if you don’t match to a school but end up on its waitlist after Match Day. At this point in the cycle, the way to show intent is to rank a school #1. :)

Mar 23, 2019
@wysdoc Do you think its a good idea to send letters of intent to our top choice schools to help with getting interviews? I saw that somewhere on a reddit feed, but I was not too sure

Mar 23, 2019
No it is not helpful, sorry that Reddit is steering you wrong!
Also do you know if it is still early in the cycle or not? I am worried as I thought submitting early was a good thing, but am really confused now since I was marked complete a while back

Feb 26, 2020
I don’t know, but the time to send those, if you do, is if you don’t match to a school but end up on its waitlist after Match Day. At this point in the cycle, the way to show intent is to rank a school #1. :)
Can schools see if you rank them #1? I thought that wasn't revealed..

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Can schools see if you rank them #1? I thought that wasn't revealed..
No, schools cannot see where you rank them, the match rank list you make is confidential.
In case I was being too subtle with my previous comment, (that would be a first, I’m usually too blunt!) : no love letters you write to schools now will help you get accepted there. Your application is your demonstration of interest. In the end, put your cards on the table by ranking your favorite school #1 on your rank list.

Sibir

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi, I have a question on what to do about an updated MCAT score. My primary transmitted in July, I sent all the secondaries in the same month, and I had a 9/11 MCAT retake pending until 9/29. I had AAMC send scores to TMDSAS the day after, and now I'm wondering if I'm done here and I just wait, or should I contact the schools directly to let them know that my app's been updated to include my new score?

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Hi, I have a question on what to do about an updated MCAT score. My primary transmitted in July, I sent all the secondaries in the same month, and I had a 9/11 MCAT retake pending until 9/29. I had AAMC send scores to TMDSAS the day after, and now I'm wondering if I'm done here and I just wait, or should I contact the schools directly to let them know that my app's been updated to include my new score?
Schools will see the official score release in their portals, but if I were you, especially if you substantially improved your score, I would send a quick email to them all saying you are happy to update them with your new MCAT score from your Sept 11 test date.

Sibir

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2018
Schools will see the official score release in their portals, but if I were you, especially if you substantially improved your score, I would send a quick email to them all saying you are happy to update them with your new MCAT score from your Sept 11 test date.

Appreciate the quick response! I did improve (503 to 509, 130 on B/B, no overlap in confidence bands), but is that enough to count as substantial improvement?

Raider1

2+ Year Member
May 14, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
question.
1. do you have to wait until all your interviews to make the tmdsas rank list
2. lets say i have an interview in December and want to wait so i can place them in my rank. how does that work if i interviewed at another school lets say in september? how would not having a rank list affect pre-match offers that may go out

wysdoc

SDN Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2016
The Lone Star State
Status
  1. Attending Physician
question.
1. do you have to wait until all your interviews to make the tmdsas rank list
2. lets say i have an interview in December and want to wait so i can place them in my rank. how does that work if i interviewed at another school lets say in september? how would not having a rank list affect pre-match offers that may go out
The rank list is only relevant for the Match. You can wait until February to enter your rank order preference in the TMDSAS portal, or you can change your mind 1 million times before then. Schools never see where you ranked things, only the Match computer does.

Jul 2, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
will southwestern and McGovern still be releasing II I submitted my secondary around mid June and I'm afraid I might've been rejected already

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads