*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
List the ones that are important to you and that show different skills/abilities you have.

Thank you! Is the activities section similar to AMCAS where I need to describe how each activity will make me a great physician? Or am I explaining what I did for each activity?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! Is the activities section similar to AMCAS where I need to describe how each activity will make me a great physician? Or am I explaining what I did for each activity?
You don't have quite as much word count on the TMDSAS app. You will describe what your duties were and what you did, and then you get 3 "most meaningful" activities where you can talk more about what you gained/learned.

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take for TMDSAS to process LORs? My committee submitted their letter two days ago, and AMCAS immediately marked it as received. But TMDSAS still says my letter is pending.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm submitting an course coding appeal to TMDSAS since they didn't classify my biostats course as statistics. The response from the admin at TMDSAS was: "The information made available by your institution for BIOS 130 was not enough to indicate whether this course meets the Statistics requirements, however, you may wish to submit a course appeal. That process would allow you to submit supporting documentation for the course, like the course syllabus."

I am uploading the syllabus from the course and the description of the class that's in the course catalog, but does anyone have any experience with or advice on how detailed the response to the following on their appeals form should be: "Provide a justification for the course coding change."

Thank you!!

I'm submitting an course coding appeal to TMDSAS since they didn't classify my biostats course as statistics. The response from the admin at TMDSAS was: "The information made available by your institution for BIOS 130 was not enough to indicate whether this course meets the Statistics requirements, however, you may wish to submit a course appeal. That process would allow you to submit supporting documentation for the course, like the course syllabus."

I am uploading the syllabus from the course and the description of the class that's in the course catalog, but does anyone have any experience with or advice on how detailed the response to the following on their appeals form should be: "Provide a justification for the course coding change."

Thank you!!
I think you have provided the information you need for your appeal. They will look at topics on the syllabus and make a ruling.

TMDSAS published an update/information release about Transcripts for the EY2021 cycle. Read all about it here:
What to Expect When TMDSAS Requests Transcripts

condensed version: Wait until they ask for the transcripts, which will be around October 15th, 2020.
This coincides with the date that the earliest offers of admission may be made by TMDSAS schools.

TMDSAS schools would then have the chance to compare your transcript to their individual school pre-requisites, and let an accepted applicant know if there are any deficiencies. You could still have a chance to take a course spring term to rectify the situation!

How long does it take for TMDSAS to process LORs? My committee submitted their letter two days ago, and AMCAS immediately marked it as received. But TMDSAS still says my letter is pending.
@plepand12 you can track application processing and letter processing on the TMDSAS homepage, see the blue box at the right.

I think AMCAS has a much larger staff so can do the processing more quickly.

If I am retaking the MCAT in late Aug or Sept will this delay my application? I already submitted my primary and sent my first score, but it shows as pending for the retake score.

If I am retaking the MCAT in late Aug or Sept will this delay my application? I already submitted my primary and sent my first score, but it shows as pending for the retake score.
It will not delay TMDSAS processing and verification of your application. As long as you have 1 MCAT score available already it will not delay the schools from marking you complete either. But if your first score was quite low, they might wait to see your new score before deciding on you for a possible interview.

That makes sense. Do you know what range would be considered “low”?
It will not delay TMDSAS processing and verification of your application. As long as you have 1 MCAT score available already it will not delay the schools from marking you complete either. But if your first score was quite low, they might wait to see your new score before deciding on you for a possible interview.

I start working FT with ScribeAmerica next week. I’m not sure how to update the schools about this additional clinical experience after my apps are all in. Please advise thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I start working FT with ScribeAmerica next week. I’m not sure how to update the schools about this additional clinical experience after my apps are all in. Please advise thanks!
Often schools will ask in their secondaries what have you done since you submitted your app. There, you can share your experience.

Or you can send an update letter but this is typically done after an interview or late in the cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys write the same description for your employment & healthcare activities? Ex) I am an RN so I am writing my job for both. Could I essentially just copy & paste?

Often schools will ask in their secondaries what have you done since you submitted your app. There, you can share your experience.

Or you can send an update letter but this is typically done after an interview or late in the cycle
I agree. Sending an update this early in the process isn't helpful to your cause, wait until at least 6-8 weeks from now or until you submit your Fall term grades.
Some of the more experienced advisers on SDN say that only something major like publishing a research paper, winning an award, etc. are
update-worthy. Getting more activity hours wouldn't be one of those.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you guys write the same description for your employment & healthcare activities? Ex) I am an RN so I am writing my job for both. Could I essentially just copy & paste?
What I did was I spoke more on another aspect of the work I did. You could technically just copy and paste but I think it might be better to talk a little more about your role.

I know the Optional Essay says " This is not an area to continue your essay or reiterate what you have previously stated; this area is provided for you to address any issues that have not previously been covered ".

Does this mean if we wrote about a certain topic in my "most meaningful" section of W/A that I cannot write about it on my optional essay since it was covered? I was under the impression that "covered" meant just PS/Personal Characteristics essay information. If that is not the case, I think it would be better to just remove that event from my most meaningful then.

Are y'all doing the Casper snapshot? And do you think the schools will actually be using it to evaluate us, as the email implies?

Has anyone been prompted to send transcripts yet?

TMDSAS has changed their transcript procedures for the EY 2021 application cycle. You should not send in your transcripts until prompted to do so via email from TMDSAS and they will only collect transcripts from applicants once they receive their first acceptance. Some exceptions do apply like if your an EDP, Fresh Start, or JAMP applicant. You can read more about it here: What to Expect When TMDSAS Requests Transcripts

I submitted my AMCAS primary a while ago...is it too late to submit one for tmdsas? Out of state

I submitted my AMCAS primary a while ago...is it too late to submit one for tmdsas? Out of state
@gogetter898 If you want to do this, try to wrap it up by the end of August/1st week of September for best chances at interviews.
The TMDSAS schools:
-have a separate application (but one app fee gets your app sent to all schools)
-send all your letters to all schools, max 4 letters
-limit OOS matriculants to a maximum of 10%. This 10% is usually at or above the median scores for matriculants.
-many of them require CASPer test, so take it if you haven't

good luck, get cracking on the application

Hey, dumb question, but because Baylor is not on TMDSAS, does that mean their timeline is later than other TMDSAS schools? Like should we treat them as an AMCAS school and aim to be complete by labor dayish?

Hey, dumb question, but because Baylor is not on TMDSAS, does that mean their timeline is later than other TMDSAS schools? Like should we treat them as an AMCAS school and aim to be complete by labor dayish?
Baylor processes the apps pretty promptly and yes, it is an AMCAS school, but they tend to do their interviews only a little later than the TMDSAS schools. In the 2019-2020 cycle most TMDSAS schools sent out interview invitations the last half of June and Baylor the 3rd week of July, for example.
If you are seriously interested in Baylor, try to have it be one of the first AMCAS schools you finish up your secondaries on :)

hi wysdoc, do you think it would still be fine to submit a primary to TMDSAS by next week for the COVID cycle? And when do you think would be the latest to still be competitive for this cycle? I'd like to polish my application as much as possible before submitting it.

Thank you!

hi wysdoc, do you think it would still be fine to submit a primary to TMDSAS by next week for the COVID cycle? And when do you think would be the latest to still be competitive for this cycle? I'd like to polish my application as much as possible before submitting it.

Thank you!
Try to get it in as soon as your essays say what you want and sound like you. You can have someone proofread them (preferably not your parent or a competing applicant) but don't get too many editors in on the job.

Be sure you have included all your activities with the proper dates, you can't go back in to the application and change this after submitting.
Be sure you tell your letter writers the letter must have a date, be on a letterhead, and be signed.

Thank you!

It seems like TMDSAS verification is speeding up :)

Which TMDSAS schools don't email secondaries? I read some you have to go to their website and make an account :/

Which TMDSAS schools don't email secondaries? I read some you have to go to their website and make an account :/
Texas A&M : You can go and create an account any time you are ready and do the secondary
UTSW: you can find the link to their secondary any time after May 1, follow it, and get their secondary.
You will get email invitations from the others, unless you are not invited to do one (I would say Dell and U of Houston screen the most and send the least)

Last edited:
Texas A&M : You can go and create an account any time you are ready and do the secondary
UTSW: you can find the link to their secondary any time after May 1, follow it, and get their secondary.
You will get email invitations from the others, unless you are not invited to do one (I would say Dell and U of Houston screen the most and send the least)

Hi wysdoc, thank you. On that link there, it says UTSW sends an email?

You'll get an email invite for UTSW after your TMDSAS is transmitted to them (I got mine the day after). A&M is the only one where you have to make the account yourself & they will not send email.

They do, but also on their page it says all can do a secondary after May 1. Sometimes we deal in conflicting information, and I always advise pro-active rather than passive!

can you do an "academic update" to TMDSAS applications? Like AADSAS that lets you add the "in progress" classes after submitting application?

can you do an "academic update" to TMDSAS applications? Like AADSAS that lets you add the "in progress" classes after submitting application?
Not exactly, but you can submit a new transcript after each completed semester if you are still taking college courses.
You can update courses also. I would wait until they are complete, with a grade, rather than update courses you are just starting.
See pages xv and xvi in the appendix of the TMDSAS application guide.

Hello, are there any updates as to when the remaining Texas schools will start offering interviews?

Not exactly, but you can submit a new transcript after each completed semester if you are still taking college courses.
You can update courses also. I would wait until they are complete, with a grade, rather than update courses you are just starting.
See pages xv and xvi in the appendix of the TMDSAS application guide.
thank you!! I'm reading over it now! I appreciate the pointers!!

Do texas schools (excluding A&M) screen before secondaries? I got transmitted, but only like 4 schools have sent me secondaries.

Do texas schools (excluding A&M) screen before secondaries? I got transmitted, but only like 4 schools have sent me secondaries.

Dell does a holistic review of your primary application before sending you a video secondary. Otherwise, for the MD schools, I believe that you should be getting secondaries from everywhere else. I got most within 36 hours of my primary transmission, but UTSW for some reason took something around a week to send the secondary invite.

Does anyone know when the pre-match period officially starts? One school I interviewed at says it opens Nov. 15th & another says October 15th. Also on my rank list in TMDSAS, it says we can decline acceptances starting Oct 15th... (TMDSAS timeline also says Oct 15h) so I was just curious to see if the schools choose their own pre-match periods on when they want to send them out? Any ideas? Sorry if this was already answered. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the pre-match period officially starts? One school I interviewed at says it opens Nov. 15th & another says October 15th. Also on my rank list in TMDSAS, it says we can decline acceptances starting Oct 15th... (TMDSAS timeline also says Oct 15h) so I was just curious to see if the schools choose their own pre-match periods on when they want to send them out? Any ideas? Sorry if this was already answered. Thanks!
The timeline stands as released in the chart below, with the earliest date for Pre-match offers October 15th.

This does NOT mean that all the TMDSAS schools will release pre-match offers on that day! Pre-match offers can happen anytime between Oct 15 through January 31 during this COVID-19 application year. Match Day this year will be March 5, a month later than normal.

IF a person gets multiple offers of admission and is sure that one of these is a school they would not want to attend after all, they may withdraw fom or decline an acceptance that has been offered.
However, DON"T do that until and unless you have more than one offer in hand. You CAN'T take back your withdrawal.

Most applicants hold on to any and all offers, rank them according to preference in their rank list, and see what rolls out in the Match.
If a school is clearly not what you want after you have several offers, you can withdraw before Match Day.

Attachments

• TMDSAS-Application-Timeline-EY2021 copy.jpg
    TMDSAS-Application-Timeline-EY2021 copy.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
My plan was to take the MCAT in September but now I am considering rescheduling for January. Would this put me at a disadvantage? It is required by TMDSAS to take the MCAT by September? I also noticed that on Sam houston`s website they stated that they will accept a January MCAT. Are some schools in Texas allowing January MCAT and others are not? A lot of osteopathic medical schools are also allowing January MCATs with the exception of 9-10 schools.

My plan was to take the MCAT in September but now I am considering rescheduling for January. Would this put me at a disadvantage? It is required by TMDSAS to take the MCAT by September? I also noticed that on Sam houston`s website they stated that they will accept a January MCAT. Are some schools in Texas allowing January MCAT and others are not? A lot of osteopathic medical schools are also allowing January MCATs with the exception of 9-10 schools.
To apply for the 2020-2021 cycle your LATEST test date would be September 28 for any MD school.
Since SHSU is a DO school they may have opted to extend the date.

You know how they say only 10% of OOS are accepted. Do we have any stats on the amount of OOS that apply Texas? Besides myself, I don't know anyone else OOS applying to TX without any ties.

You know how they say only 10% of OOS are accepted. Do we have any stats on the amount of OOS that apply Texas? Besides myself, I don't know anyone else OOS applying to TX without any ties.
Last stats I saw were: in one year 1476 OOS applied and 121 matriculated, 8% chance.
4577 Texans applied and 1501 matriculated, 33% chance.
OOS applicants should be at or above the medians for GPA and MCAT and have some other feature that makes them stand out.
Having a direct tie to Texas is not a factor.

I just received my secondary for Sam houston and I have a question about the hometown question. It states 'What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)?', but the area where I consider my hometown is different from where I went to high school, so which city should I write about? Are they specifically looking for students from Texas?

For the next question, ' What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date? ' I wanted to write about one of my meaningful activities but I do not want to sound repetitive like I am basically repeating what I wrote in my primary app. Do you suggest writing about different idea than what I wrote in my primary app?

I just received my secondary for Sam houston and I have a question about the hometown question. It states 'What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)?', but the area where I consider my hometown is different from where I went to high school, so which city should I write about? Are they specifically looking for students from Texas?

For the next question, ' What do you consider the most important thing you have done to date? ' I wanted to write about one of my meaningful activities but I do not want to sound repetitive like I am basically repeating what I wrote in my primary app. Do you suggest writing about different idea than what I wrote in my primary app?
Write about the place you think of as home.
The location is not important, but have a balance of things you like and don't like. If everything you say about your home town is very negative, it gives a clue that you are a pessimistic type person, for example.

That's not quite right that only 10% of OOS are accepted.
The rule is that the TMDSAS schools' class may be made up of no more than 10% OOS. Baylor is also part of this agreement.

TCU/UNTHSC is a private school and not part of the TMDSAS agreement, and has no instate/OOS preference.

OOS applicants last year: 1476 applied, 121 matriculated = about an 8% success rate.
No particular Texas ties are needed, you just need to be a strong applicant.

Is it too late to apply TMDSAS? I have high stats and weak ties to Texas but I feel like I'm really late...

Is it too late to apply TMDSAS? I have high stats and weak ties to Texas but I feel like I'm really late...
How many AMCAS schools did you apply to? I'm wondering why you want to add TMDSAS schools as an afterthought at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.