*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
will southwestern and McGovern still be releasing II I submitted my secondary around mid June and I'm afraid I might've been rejected already
Yes there are quite a few interview chances remaining

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear a lot of talk about matching and stuff. If I am OOS, I do not have to worry about that stuff right?

New to the whole interviewing thing, anyone know how long Texas schools typically take to send out acceptance/rejection news post-interview?

New to the whole interviewing thing, anyone know how long Texas schools typically take to send out acceptance/rejection news post-interview?
Most of the TMDSAS schools will send out their first acceptance offers in October and then about once a month after that until Jan 31.
They usually hold on to applications and don't reject outright at this point. But each school has its own rhythm.

The DO schools on the other hand (except TCOM which most closely mimics TMDSAS Match calendar) tend to give you a decision about a month after your interview: yes, no, or Wait list.

Hello! I submitted secondaries end of June then sent in my new MCAT score end of July but have not gotten any interviews yet. I'm a little worried my app was rejected before I sent in my new score. Is there anything I can do?

Hello! I submitted secondaries end of June then sent in my new MCAT score end of July but have not gotten any interviews yet. I'm a little worried my app was rejected before I sent in my new score. Is there anything I can do?
Double check to make sure you released your MCAT score report to TMDSAS - you have to do this on the MCAT portal.
TMDSAS forwards new scores to schools as soon as they get them.

Double check to make sure you released your MCAT score report to TMDSAS - you have to do this on the MCAT portal.
TMDSAS forwards new scores to schools as soon as they get them.
Yes according to TMDSAS it was received in July

I applied to all the TMDSAS schools, and had all my secondaries submitted by 07/15 but I have not interviews yet. I even applied to 20 more AMCAS schools, which I submitted by late August as I was processed later, but yet still nothing. Should I start panicking now since prematch rolled out? I am worrying as some some schools have filled up interview slots through December, and I believed I was a fairly competitive applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to all the TMDSAS schools, and had all my secondaries submitted by 07/15 but I have not interviews yet. I even applied to 20 more AMCAS schools, which I submitted by late August as I was processed later, but yet still nothing. Should I start panicking now since prematch rolled out? I am worrying as some some schools have filled up interview slots through December, and I believed I was a fairly competitive applicant
lots more interview chances remain, hang in there

lots more interview chances remain, hang in there
@wysdoc Have you ever heard of people applying in July to TMDSAS schools and not receiving any interviews as late as November and still getting accepted to medical school?

A school I pre-matched at is asking for transcripts by 10/29. From what I understand, TMDSAS will send an email requesting transcripts once they are informed of matches by schools. If they ask for it say Monday (10/19), I would still have to mail them in, they would have to process it and put it in the system. Do we just wait for the email and trust the process, or are we suppose to email the schools or send transcripts to schools individually?

@Raider1 Did your school already ask you for one and give a deadline?
If not, wait to hear from TMDSAS. If your college uses electronic transcripts asking the college to transmit it directly to TMDSAS would be better than mailing it in.
You can also message TMDSAS in the portal and tell them your school wants it that soon.

Is it possible to send update letters to schools?

It depends on the particular school. Some schools only allow them after an II or up until your interview day, while some will always accept them until a final application decision is made. Most schools clearly spell out their update policy in the application portal or website — check these sites for the programs you have in mind or the school's particular SDN page.

Updates should be substantial (i.e. new publication, prestigious award received, new job secured). New shadowing/clinical/volunteering hours can be saved to mention in interview as they aren't going to sway your application greatly.

Can Out of State students accept multiple offers from TX schools? I could not find anything on the TMDSAS website talking about this. The schools so far have just said "you have 2 weeks to decide" but nothing about commitment.

Can Out of State students accept multiple offers from TX schools? I could not find anything on the TMDSAS website talking about this. The schools so far have just said "you have 2 weeks to decide" but nothing about commitment.
Yes, you can. Congrats! But you have to decide & narrow it down to 1 school by April 30, just like in AMCAS.

**##**##** Deadline reminders **##**##**

Final deadline for submitting your TMDSAS PRIMARY application this year is 5:00 pm October 30, 2020.

Deadline for all supporting documents (MCAT scores, letters, supporting docs for TX resident determination)
is November 15, 2020.

I think most of you have submitted your primary long ago, but there are always a few who love the thrill of the deadline!

Reactions: 2 users
**##**##** Deadline reminders **##**##**

Final deadline for submitting your TMDSAS PRIMARY application this year is 5:00 pm October 30, 2020.

Deadline for all supporting documents (MCAT scores, letters, supporting docs for TX resident determination)
is November 15, 2020.

I think most of you have submitted your primary long ago, but there are always a few who love the thrill of the deadline!
I applied in Early October. Based on the rolling admissions schedule, is it possible to be considered for an interview?

Just received some info from a school I prematched at and figured I'd share.

TMDSAS transcripts are completely independent of a (pre-matched) school's transcripts request . You must send your transcripts to TMDSAS and to that school individually as well. (this is according to my school's admissions representative)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if TMDSAS has requested transcripts from admitted applicants yet? Received a few prematch offers but haven't heard anything about this

Is it okay to send a thank you email after interviewing?

Currently filling out fafsa, and it is asking whether I will live on or off campus for each school. What should I enter if I am not sure yet?

Since very few schools offer student housing I would mark off-campus.

I don’t have any TMDSAS offers yet but have 4 DO acceptances. Should I be filling out FAFSA now, or waiting a couple months until I commit to a school?

I don’t have any TMDSAS offers yet but have 4 DO acceptances. Should I be filling out FAFSA now, or waiting a couple months until I commit to a school?
You could fill it out now so it’s ready, then log back on and send it to the schools you wish to attend. Schools don’t take the time to do a financial aid package for all applicants, just for likely matriculants.

Does anyone know of any good resources to familiarize myself with medical school student loan options/financial aid information? Filled out FAFSA but there's still so much to know personally. Thanks!

Does anyone know of any good resources to familiarize myself with medical school student loan options/financial aid information? Filled out FAFSA but there's still so much to know personally. Thanks!
This thread is a great start

I haven't received any II's and I was complete early-late August for all schools. Should I start worrying? (506 MCAT, cGPA-3.77, sGPA-3.67 but strong extracurriculars)
And is it useless to reach out to schools to give an update (like my GPA increased over the summer or I presented at a conference)? Even if the conference was a future activity I had listed on the app?

I haven't received any II's and I was complete early-late August for all schools. Should I start worrying? (506 MCAT, cGPA-3.77, sGPA-3.67 but strong extracurriculars)
And is it useless to reach out to schools to give an update (like my GPA increased over the summer or I presented at a conference)? Even if the conference was a future activity I had listed on the app?
You can update your grades on TMDSAS if you took summer term classes.
At least 3 more months of interviews coming up, hang in there.

You can update your grades on TMDSAS if you took summer term classes.
At least 3 more months of interviews coming up, hang in there.
I've been fortunate to have interviews at 3 schools however I'm wondering if me being complete mid August to end of August will effect when I get interviews? Also, do Texas schools send rejections?

I've been fortunate to have interviews at 3 schools however I'm wondering if me being complete mid August to end of August will effect when I get interviews? Also, do Texas schools send rejections?
Your application was timely so the application itself will be what determines your interviews.
As far as I have seen, just the DO schools send rejections, the MD schools on TMDSAS will let the applications stay active. If you have had no interview at a school by Match Day you can conclude you are rejected.

Reactions: 2 users
Can I make updates to my application after it has closed (closed October 30)?

Can I make updates to my application after it has closed (closed October 30)?

see pages xv and xvi of the TMDSAS application handbook.

At this point most applicants would add new grades if still in college courses. No changes to your activities or essays can be made.
Communication things like new mailing address, new email, or new phone number can be updated.

see pages xv and xvi of the TMDSAS application handbook.

At this point most applicants would add new grades if still in college courses. No changes to your activities or essays can be made.
Communication things like new mailing address, new email, or new phone number can be updated.
Are we able to add new activities?

Hello,
My secondaries were complete in early August, but I haven't received any interviews :(
My sGPA is 3.54 and my MCAT is 511. I'm I not considered a competitive applicant in Texas? Do schools here consider what undergrad you went to thus the difficulty level of the science classes?

Thank you for your help!

Hello,
My secondaries were complete in early August, but I haven't received any interviews :(
My sGPA is 3.54 and my MCAT is 511. I'm I not considered a competitive applicant in Texas? Do schools here consider what undergrad you went to thus the difficulty level of the science classes?

Thank you for your help!

I don’t think I’m the most qualified to speak on this, but I figured you’d like some sort of reply so here goes nothing....

For all intents and purposes, a 511 is fine in Texas, and as long as you attended undergrad at an accredited institution then your school wouldn’t hold you back. A 3.54 sgpa is slightly low for Texas, but by no means is it anywhere near damning. I know you listed your sgpa, but what is your cpga?Are you IS? Or OOS? If you’re OOS then a 3.54/511 isn’t the most competitive. What are your extracurriculars? How many hours have you put in on said extracurriculars? If any of those are lacking that could be a reason. How polished were your essays/activities? Just some questions to consider.

I know it’s getting late into the Texas cycle but the common idea is that IIs will continue to go out throughout November and for some schools even in December (esp with the extended cycle). So if your other metrics are up to snuff, it’s just a waiting game.

Cgpa is a. 3.7 and I’m a Texas resident. I wasn’t born in the US but I immigrated here and went to a top 20 school. I have 200 hours of volunteer community service, 85 clinical, 25 shadowing and 118 hours research.

My personal statements and all my essays were definitely pretty polished.

I’m not sure if that helps. But thank you!

Does anyone know if the TX schools accept pre-interview updates? I know Baylor does, but cannot see anything about TMDSAS schools. I got published, so was wondering if I could send them somethin

Does anyone know if the TX schools accept pre-interview updates? I know Baylor does, but cannot see anything about TMDSAS schools. I got published, so was wondering if I could send them somethin
A publication would be worthy of an update email. I would send your news, including title, journal, and a one-sentence description to the schools where you haven't interviewed yet. Of the TMDSAS schools I think only UTSW is not interested in updates. "Dear school X, I'm proud to let you know that my research study on squirrel peanut butter preferences will be published in the journal Nature Snacks. I hope this will strengthen my candidacy for your school. Sincerely, erenyeager.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.