*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2020-2021*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know when Texas schools are expected to start sending out interview invitations?
Texas Tech El Paso broke the ice today with the first interview invites!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Well I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty upset. My application is being put on hold because they're questioning my Texas residency. Idk why though. I haven't lived outside Texas since my senior year of HS ('14-'15), spent all 4 years of college in Texas (HCC & TAMU), and I spent my whole gap year in Texas. I don't even have a single activity that happened outside of Texas.

If anyone has had residency confirmation issues, can y'all let me know how long I should expect this to delay my app?

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has had residency confirmation issues, can y'all let me know how long I should expect this to delay my app?

I had to upload several documents, overall delayed me by around a week. I uploaded the initial documents, waited a few days for a response, then had to upload one more and waited a few more days.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to upload several documents, overall delayed me by around a week. I uploaded the initial documents, waited a few days for a response, then had to upload one more and waited a few more days.
Thanks a lot. I called TMDSAS and the person who answered even looked at my app said she does not understand why residency wasn't approved. Welp I just gotta accept the delay they're causing.

Well I'm not gonna lie I'm pretty upset. My application is being put on hold because they're questioning my Texas residency. Idk why though. I haven't lived outside Texas since my senior year of HS ('14-'15), spent all 4 years of college in Texas (HCC & TAMU), and I spent my whole gap year in Texas. I don't even have a single activity that happened outside of Texas.
Communicate directly with your application liaison (all TMDSAS applicants get assigned to one) and send in any supporting info they ask for.
Do not take it personally or get upset. This is one of the things they verify on everyone's app. It could be something as simple as you checked a wrong check-box.

Communicate directly with your application liaison (all TMDSAS applicants get assigned to one) and send in any supporting info they ask for.
Do not take it personally or get upset. This is one of the things they verify on everyone's app. It could be something as simple as you checked a wrong check-box.
I sent a message to them and called because there's an issue with one of the documents they asked for. My parents 2019 tax return had to be redone and it's in the possession of their CPA. Yeah I'm a little frustrated by the delays and the lack of clarity but eh it is what it is.

I sent a message to them and called because there's an issue with one of the documents they asked for. My parents 2019 tax return had to be redone and it's in the possession of their CPA. Yeah I'm a little frustrated by the delays and the lack of clarity but eh it is what it is.
You could provide utility bills as document of Texas residency

You could provide utility bills as document of Texas residency
Thank you, this is what I have been trying to figure out. They listed 5 items and I'm like, well I don't have all 5. I just want to know what to do to avoid an even longer delay.

How late is too late for having all of TMDSAS complete (secondaries, letters of rec, MCAT score, transcripts,etc.)? I am planning on submitting my primary on July 15 (this is what my advisor recommended, but I went to college out of state!). With ~1 month of verification time, I don't think I will be fully "complete" until end of August..I could submit sooner but I wanted to polish it/ thoroughly review everything I've written (I'm currently working 60 hours a week so this has been a slow process). I've recently read older threads about how imperative it is to be complete early in Texas in order to be competitive for interviews...is this still true this year? Would being complete at these schools end of August/ first week of September majorly decrease my chances of acceptance? should I wait until next year to apply??

Should we send MCAT scores to TMDSAS before or after submitting? Does it even matter?

How late is too late for having all of TMDSAS complete (secondaries, letters of rec, MCAT score, transcripts,etc.)? I am planning on submitting my primary on July 15 (this is what my advisor recommended, but I went to college out of state!). With ~1 month of verification time, I don't think I will be fully "complete" until end of August..I could submit sooner but I wanted to polish it/ thoroughly review everything I've written (I'm currently working 60 hours a week so this has been a slow process). I've recently read older threads about how imperative it is to be complete early in Texas in order to be competitive for interviews...is this still true this year? Would being complete at these schools end of August/ first week of September majorly decrease my chances of acceptance? should I wait until next year to apply??
@futbol412 it sounds like you need to make another stroll through the TMDSAS handbook. The process is a little different than for AMCAS.

You can submit the primary when you are satisfied with it. PRINT/Preview the entire app before you send it in- very little can be changed after submission.
TMDSAS will begin work on verification as soon as you turn it in. You may send your MCAT score when ready.

Secondaries do not get sent through TMDSAS, but directly to each school!
Letters are considered supporting documents and will be forwarded to schools by TMDSAS whenever they come in. Do NOT wait for all your letters to be in before submitting your TMDSAS app!

Transcripts are not due yet for TMDSAS. They will contact you via the app portal in about August or September to send your official transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)
@futbol412 it sounds like you need to make another stroll through the TMDSAS handbook. The process is a little different than for AMCAS.

You can submit the primary when you are satisfied with it. PRINT/Preview the entire app before you send it in- very little can be changed after submission.
TMDSAS will begin work on verification as soon as you turn it in. You may send your MCAT score when ready.

Secondaries do not get sent through TMDSAS, but directly to each school!
Letters are considered supporting documents and will be forwarded to schools by TMDSAS whenever they come in. Do NOT wait for all your letters to be in before submitting your TMDSAS app!

Transcripts are not due yet for TMDSAS. They will contact you via the app portal in about August or September to send your official transcripts.

thank you so much!! I am reading through the handbook to make sure I've classified everything correctly, clearly I need to inform myself better about the TMDSAS process.
I do have 2 more questions though... I've seen graphs of the "interviews given" based on completion month, are those just referring to when someone submits the TMDSAS primary, regardless of if the school has a secondary or not? Also, if you submit the primary now, but take the MCAT in August, would that be considered "too late" for TX schools to review your application? Thank you in advance!

thank you so much!! I am reading through the handbook to make sure I've classified everything correctly, clearly I need to inform myself better about the TMDSAS process.
I do have 2 more questions though... I've seen graphs of the "interviews given" based on completion month, are those just referring to when someone submits the TMDSAS primary, regardless of if the school has a secondary or not? Also, if you submit the primary now, but take the MCAT in August, would that be considered "too late" for TX schools to review your application? Thank you in advance!
Those graphs are based on submission of primary app.
August MCAT might be what’s available to you, so polish off your TMDSAS app and get back to studying

How long does it typically take for TMDSAS to receive LORs from Interfolio? AMCAS took half a day to mark them as received, but with TMDSAS it's been over a week and still nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?

How long does it typically take for TMDSAS to receive LORs from Interfolio? AMCAS took half a day to mark them as received, but with TMDSAS it's been over a week and still nothing. Anyone else experiencing this?
It takes quite a while for TMDSAS to approve them from Interfolio. I would recommend having your submitters upload them directly to TMDSAS, if you feel comfortable doing so.

It takes quite a while for TMDSAS to approve them from Interfolio. I would recommend having your submitters upload them directly to TMDSAS, if you feel comfortable doing so.
That just seems like a hassle considering all my letters are already ready. Does it take that long to where uploading directly is the recommended route? I'd hate to be held up by something like this.

Is it okay if I use.a. headshot of myself wearing a cap from graduation as my photo?

Hi, Texans and wannabe Texans, how is everything going this Independence Day?

A quick "Freedom of Information" post from Wysdoc:
I am happy to answer general questions about the TMDSAS application process.
I try to post any updates I hear from schools on the school-specific threads.
I post updates about which schools are sending interview invites and any schedule changes.

I am not on the admissions committee of any med school. I just know stuff because it interests me and I keep up.
I am open to PMs from people who want to ask something or tell me something off the public threads. I keep all PM info confidential and don't share it on the open boards.

Here are the questions I don't, or can't answer:

1. When will X school invite me for an interview? also, Why has Elmo been invited before me and I got my app in first? I don't know, each school has their own priority on whom to interview, schools do not go in order of submission date, and I have no ability to predict the future.
2. What should I write on my essays? This is up to you, use your best judgement, it's what makes us all unique. I will sometimes comment on whether something fits a certain prompt.
3. Will you read my personal statement, essay, secondary, etc.? Sorry, no. Ask teachers, advisors, etc. to read it over for you. Not your mom. Not other pre-meds. If anything on there could be cringy, childish, over-critical, over-arrogant, or over-dramatic, you need to rewrite it. There are some great threads on SDN about how to write a personal statement, search bar for the win.
4. I'm the BEST, why can't I get interviews from ALL the Texas schools? Because they go by mission fit as well as the numbers. A person who wants to do research in the big city wouldn't possibly fit the profile of a school looking for family practitioners who would love to live in Dime Box, Texas. It is rare for an applicant to get interviews from all the TX schools.

How should I keep up with things once I submit my TMDSAS app?
1. Check your email and spam mail daily. (Not hourly)
2. Check your TMDSAS portal for messages once a week. Especially soon after you submit, as your application liaison might contact you for clarifications. You will get a message to verify your PCR (Prescribed Coursework Report) to see if you agree with the classifications for your pre-reqs.
3. Treat your TMDSAS liaison courteously. They are there to help you. They are darn good at it and very patient.

4. Follow TMDSAS, AMCAS, and your schools on Facebook, SDN, and Twitter as you prefer.
5. When you get word about a secondary, write it sincerely and try to get it back within 2 weeks. Remember they have already read your primary app, so don't rehash the essays but if you need to address the same topic, bring out different points.
6. The time you get called for an interview has no bearing on whether you will get in.

SDN Tips:

1. Try not to interrogate your homies on SDN. There will soon be a LOT of posts that just say, "When were you complete? What are your stats, if you don't mind?". To avoid this issue, you might want to put a couple of things in your signature, like "TX resident" or "OOS applicant" or "LizzyM 68". You can post the "LizzyM score" instead of your exact GPA and MCAT to preserve some shred of anonymity. If you prefer not to answer such questions, ignore them.
2. Be positive and encouraging to one another.
3. Search for your question before starting a new thread. It has probably been asked before.
4. Try to keep your school-specific comments on that school's thread.
5. "Watch" the threads of schools you are interested in. You will get a notice on SDN every time a new post is made.

Keep up the hard work on your applications!
Wysdoc

Reactions: 7 users
Do you need to report AP Courses if you are not using them for any prereqs? Seems like a hassle to send them and my transcripts don't split them up by type, just lump sum the units.

Do you need to report AP Courses if you are not using them for any prereqs? Seems like a hassle to send them and my transcripts don't split them up by type, just lump sum the units.
I believe if they appear on your college transcript(s), they will need to be reported.

You still enter them. Please refer to pages 25,26,27 of the TMDSAS handbook which gives you specific directions on how to enter and where, especially the blue box on pg 27 which tells you what to do with those lump sum credits :)

edited to add: @erenyeager you don't have to send the AP score reports

Last edited:
It's been 18 days since i submitted the primary. The status of my app actually updated to primary sent to the school. However, none of the LORs are received... When should i call them again? They are not that responsive in the messaging system.

You still enter them. Please refer to pages 25,26,27 of the TMDSAS handbook which gives you specific directions on how to enter and where, especially the blue box on pg 27 which tells you what to do with those lump sum credits :)

edited to add: @erenyeager you don't have to send the AP score reports

Thank you! I guess my question was regarding lump sum, I understand that I can get a letter from the registrar, but was wondering if can I just skip this since it is just extra work and I'm not using these credits.

The TMDSAS Handbook says "You are required to enter any AP credit that appears on your official transcript as long as it is not lump sum credit. If AP credit does appear as lump sum, a letter from your Registrar detailing AP coursework may be sent to TMDSAS to verify credit."

So, if my transcript is a lump sum, does this mean entering AP credit is optional? Or is it still required? The wording is somewhat unclear, but it kinda sounds like it is not required if it is lump sum.

It's been 18 days since i submitted the primary. The status of my app actually updated to primary sent to the school. However, none of the LORs are received... When should i call them again? They are not that responsive in the messaging system.
First check to be sure that you gave accurate up-to-date email addresses for your recommenders. Then it might be most direct and effective to send them an email. Say something like “ thank you so much for writing a letter on my behalf for medical school. If you have any questions at all about uploading it to the TMDSAS site, please let me know.” You can add, or not, that you have submitted the student portion of the App.

First check to be sure that you gave accurate up-to-date email addresses for your recommenders. Then it might be most direct and effective to send them an email. Say something like “ thank you so much for writing a letter on my behalf for medical school. If you have any questions at all about uploading it to the TMDSAS site, please let me know.” You can add, or not, that you have submitted the student portion of the App.
oh no. i sent my LORs via interfolio... Shouldn't that be quicker though?

I haven't been transmitted yet, but should I send my CASPer scores to schools now or wait till I am transmitted to the schools? My CASPer is already scored.

oh no. i sent my LORs via interfolio... Shouldn't that be quicker though?
Interfolio has been quite delayed this year for various system incompatibility reasons, with AMCAS especially. So if that’s where your letters are, make an inquiry wit Interfolio, not TMDSAS.

Interfolio has been quite delayed this year for various system incompatibility reasons, with AMCAS especially. So if that’s where your letters are, make an inquiry wit Interfolio, not TMDSAS.
yeah. i just emailed interfolio to confirm the delivery. Though they did send a delivery confirmation e-mail to me. maybe i will check with TMDSAS to see if they got it but never had time to process them?

Thanks for making this thread, it is very helpful! I'm a CA resident, female, ORM. Pretty good stats -- 517, 3.84 cGPA, ~3.75 sGPA. I do not have ties to Texas.

Would I be considered late if I submitted a TMDSAS primary in early July? Do you think it's worth a shot? Thank you!

Thanks for making this thread, it is very helpful! I'm a CA resident, female, ORM. Pretty good stats -- 517, 3.84 cGPA, ~3.75 sGPA. I do not have ties to Texas.

Would I be considered late if I submitted a TMDSAS primary in early July? Do you think it's worth a shot? Thank you!
That will be fine

Thank you! I guess my question was regarding lump sum, I understand that I can get a letter from the registrar, but was wondering if can I just skip this since it is just extra work and I'm not using these credits.

The TMDSAS Handbook says "You are required to enter any AP credit that appears on your official transcript as long as it is not lump sum credit. If AP credit does appear as lump sum, a letter from your Registrar detailing AP coursework may be sent to TMDSAS to verify credit."

So, if my transcript is a lump sum, does this mean entering AP credit is optional? Or is it still required? The wording is somewhat unclear, but it kinda sounds like it is not required if it is lump sum.
On reviewing it you don’t need to enter lump sum AP, they were counted towards your hours for your major but since not listed specifically as a course credit won’t need to be be verified by TMDSAS.

Hello! I apologize if these questions have been answered previously, but I haven't spotted it yet.

1.) My primaries have been submitted, so have my MCAT scores and my letters (a committee packet), so I'm currently working on my secondaries. TMDSAS received my letters on June 26th, but my schools have yet to show they have received it. However, when I go to my secondary application and press on the Letter of Reference Tab, it says that it was received June 26th, but it still shows an "x" on the Status page. Is this because TMDSAS still has to approve the letters before they can be marked as complete?

2.) I took the MCAT once in January, and then I re-did it on June 19th. I submitted the scores from January already, but do schools hold up my application because I have another score incoming?

3.) The secondary for UHCOM has a 250-300 character count, but that seems very little. It doesn't list on their page if this is a minimum or maximum either. Would anyone have an answer for whether this is indeed a minimum or maximum count? I inputted more than 300 characters to test this, and it saved it without cutting out any characters, so I am very lost.

Thank you in advance!

*EDIT* Added Question 3

Last edited:
Hello! I apologize if these questions have been answered previously, but I haven't spotted it yet.

1.) My primaries have been submitted, so have my MCAT scores and my letters (a committee packet), so I'm currently working on my secondaries. TMDSAS received my letters on June 26th, but my schools have yet to show they have received it. However, when I go to my secondary application and press on the Letter of Reference Tab, it says that it was received June 26th, but it still shows an "x" on the Status page. Is this because TMDSAS still has to approve the letters before they can be marked as complete?

2.) I took the MCAT once in January, and then I re-did it on June 19th. I submitted the scores from January already, but do schools hold up my application because I have another score incoming?

3.) The secondary for UHCOM has a 250-300 character count, but that seems very little. It doesn't list on their page if this is a minimum or maximum either. Would anyone have an answer for whether this is indeed a minimum or maximum count? I inputted more than 300 characters to test this, and it saved it without cutting out any characters, so I am very lost.

Thank you in advance!

*EDIT* Added Question 3
1. If TMDSAS got your letters, they have been transmitted to schools, as your app was. Manpower at each school will determine when they upload things to your file.
2. They will see your pending MCAT date. How this affects their workflow of reading apps is up to each school and not uniform across schools. Your new score will be out soon though so not likely to make much difference.
3. Be pithy and concise and use those characters well! All schools list a character count as a maximum.

Is it possible that TMDSAS status says LORs not received but they actually forwarded the letters to the school that I want it to receive?
I think I see a notification from TCOM that says a letter was sent on my behalf...

Is it possible that TMDSAS status says LORs not received but they actually forwarded the letters to the school that I want it to receive?
I think I see a notification from TCOM that says a letter was sent on my behalf...
I don't get to see the inner workings of how the schools log in your things, so I can't really answer that question.
But schools usually don't need to read your letters before deciding to send you a secondary app, so you have some time for things to arrive.
The letters, as well as the secondary essays, are considered part of the supporting application materials.
The schools will want all of those before deciding on interview invitations.

How long after Mcat scores come out do they get released to Tmdsas?

I want to let you know about a couple more "Courage Sessions" planned for this week.
Enrique Jasso Jr. from THES has been doing interviews with med school admissions deans one by one. Topics of conversation usually include what to expect at their interviews, what type of students they are looking for, the application process in general, and how COVID-19 is affecting the school and the app cycle.

If you watch them live, you might be able to type in a question (Be sure to stay on-topic, for that school only!) and get it answered live.
If you miss the time slot, they are archived and can be watched later.

This week:
Wednesday at 1:00 pm an interview with UTMB
Thursday at 1:00 pm an interview with Texas Tech El Paso Paul Foster

Link to the Facebook page here:
Texas Health Education Service

Reactions: 1 users
Why is it taking tmdsas so long to process applications??? My application was submitted over a month ago and it is yet to be processed. Rec letters are processed before they are added to our application and the transcript won't be processed till August, so I'm confused with why it is taking so long in a time-sensitive service. People are already getting interviews when so many student applications have yet to be verified. We are already stressed applying during a pandemic with so much uncertainty in our future, and it would have been nice to see some actual understanding and help from the applications/medical schools besides adding more to our plate like supplements to interviews.

It would be different if I wasn't paying for these services and people were doing it out of good will. But as students, we are forced to pay a gigantic sum of money for these applications, exams, etc. without choice. On top of that, there is little to no transparency.

Sorry for the long rant.
The volume of apps is at its highest the first 2 months, and this year’s numbers are the highest ever. The staff is working full time to get these apps verified.
Visit the school-specific page of each of your schools to see the prompts, and start writing your secondary essays, then you can submit them as soon as you get the word your app is verified.
All this writing will distract you from your peevishness.

Peevishness? I think we have a right to voice our concerns. TMDSAS has been the least sympathetic out of the two application services. I guess it doesn't matter what we have to say since there are so many applicants to choose from and we're just viewed as a number out of many. We are taught to treat others with compassion and respect to become a physician, I hope that statement was said out of respect for other's situations.
I respect applicants and staff alike and I usually don’t respond to rants. I hope you feel better having ranted at them and me. Do you?

I ran into another problem with TMDSAS. They keep rejecting my statistic class, claiming that the class syllabus is missing a topic on Anova test..... That is obsurb. I cant find a class that fits every single specific topic that they listed in tmdsas.... I do have another class called research method that deals with statistics and include that particular topic. However, it doesn't include some other topics listed in tmdsas.... I'm very frustrated as what to do next. I am only applying to TCOM through tmdsas. Should I just contact TCOM with the syllabus and see what happens?
PS :that's for the prescribed course works

Last edited:
Is it true you have to report all AMCAS schools you plan to apply to on TMDSAS? I read that on SDN, but I don't see anything on the TMDSAS app.

Is it true you have to report all AMCAS schools you plan to apply to on TMDSAS? I read that on SDN, but I don't see anything on the TMDSAS app.
Under the "select schools" tab of the TMDSAS app, there is a section called "Non-TMDSAS Medical Schools" where you state if you are applying or have applied through AMCAS or AACOMAS

If you are a re-applicant and then it does ask you to list schools you have applied to previously as well as whether you had actually been accepted or enrolled in any of them and why you left (withdrew or dismissed).

Under the "select schools" tab of the TMDSAS app, there is a section called "Non-TMDSAS Medical Schools" where you state if you are applying or have applied through AMCAS or AACOMAS
@Airvino47 does it then ask you to list all the schools, or just to say whether you are applying via those apps?
I'm not an applicant so I can't see exactly how the app looks to you guys.

@Airvino47 does it then ask you to list all the schools, or just to say whether you are applying via those apps?
I'm not an applicant so I can't see exactly how the app looks to you guys.
Hi! @wysdoc, it just says whether you are applying through those apps or not. There was no option to list specific schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.