OFFICIAL University of Minnesota Class of 2007 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all -
I saw that last years applicants started an offical U of M thread, so I thought I'd start one for this years potential class. Not that the old thread was bad....just that we need our own place to discuss class of 2007 applications, acceptances, and starting med school before we get moved to the allopathic forum.

Anyway - so is there anybody else who thinks their going to be at the U with me next year? Anybody currently at the U like I am?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Adcadet!!

I just interviewed there 2 weeks ago, so I haven't heard. Hopefully all goes well and I will see you there next year.

Blues

Originally posted by blues
Congrats Adcadet!!

I just interviewed there 2 weeks ago, so I haven't heard. Hopefully all goes well and I will see you there next year.

Blues

Hope it all went well. If you get in, you can probably expect a phone call from the dean of admissions on Wednesday evening. I would guess it will take 4 weeks for the committee to vote on your app, assuming they don't get backed up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by xaelia
I interviewed back in early October and haven't heard back yet....

I tend to be the patient sort, but I am mildly curious why it's taking so long.

Two years ago I applied, interviewed in December (I think), and then it took forever for me to get any sort of decision. I would go in person to the admissions office every Thursday to see if the committee had made any decision about my app. I was eventually put on "hold," and later rejected.

If your application isn't complete, that could be holding things up. Also, if your interviewer is later getting his/her review in, or if the two reviewers are late, that could delay things. I would call and ask. Often Lola Gavin can tell you where your application is (up until it goes to committee).

Goodluck!
Adcadet

i also interviewed in early october and havent heard anything yet. i called last week and they said my application was with the second reviewer. i wish they wouldnt have said their response time would be around 4 weeks!

Originally posted by 123456
i also interviewed in early october and havent heard anything yet. i called last week and they said my application was with the second reviewer. i wish they wouldnt have said their response time would be around 4 weeks!

Yeah, that sucks. I know I for one got a timely response. Keep us posted!

Can I be happy?!

Two minutes after I left my hizouse Dr. Marilyn Becker (Decker?) called for me. She said that I should call her tomorrow morning. Does this mean I'm in?? Adcadet? Anybody? I want to be happy b/c I thought that they only called if you were in...but maybe my app/interview was so bad that she called to personally tell me how lame I am :(

yo, dont wanna jump the gun, but i got the same call last week, and when i called back Dr. Becker said i got in. congrats. hey, youre from IL? are you in at UIC, other schools? im trying to decide between UIC and UMN...

yo, dont wanna jump the gun, but i got the same call last week, and when i called back Dr. Becker said i got in. congrats. hey, youre from IL? are you in at UIC, other schools? im trying to decide between UIC and UMN...

I'm trying to make the same decision (provided she called to let me in). I'm in at UIC (just got the letter today about being accepted to the Chicago track). I honestly don't think that they compare. The facilites are so much better at Minn, and I'm very interested in an MD/JD or MD/MBA and Minn. has amazing programs for both of those. It's not to say that UIC isn't a good school...it's very good...I just liked the vibe at Minn so much. Too bad it's even colder there than it is here!!

medicnas -
I'm pretty sure you're in. Congrats in advance! I've never heard of anybody getting a call from Dr. Becker to say anything but congrads. Don't freak if the first few sentences seems like the beginning of a rejection letter...something like "the admissions committee has met, considered all of your application..." She does eventually get around to saying that you've been accepted.

I don't know anything about UIC, but I do know that Minnesota has a great School of Public Health, and that the MD/MPH may be a pretty cool thing to do. Just something to keep in mind. Bear in mind, that I am biased as I'm in the SPH right now doing my MPH in epi, and I know many of the MD/MPH students.

yeah, i just got the call from dr. becker on tuesday. pretty exciting. oh, and i'm pretty sure the director of admissions wouldn't call somebody to tell them they're rejected or waitlisted... anyhow, i interviewed in mid-october, and was starting to get a little, um, curious, as to what was up. i guess they're just slow as heck. anyhow, i'll be sending in my deposit within the next couple of days. good luck to everyone still waiting.

ga07

seems we've got a GAC person here;)

Hey, it's OK. I did my undergrad at Mac.

Drink blood, smoke crack, worship satan, go Mac!

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got a hold of the elusive Dr. Becker and found out that I'm in. Thanks for the forewarning about the "The committe on admissions has carefully evaluated...." part b/c if I didn't know that she was going to say that it would have been quite nervewracking. I'm really happy b/c Minnesota was one of my top three choices :)

Anybody considering an MD/MBA or MD/JD there? I'm really considering the JD b/c you get both degrees in only 6 years! Although, to be honest, I don't know what I'd do with an MD/JD other than defend myself in the event of a malpractice suit :(

Well, I'm excited. Now I just have to find the time to visit Minnesota again and give it a second look. Thanks for the help everybody!

Originally posted by medicnas
I finally got a hold of the elusive Dr. Becker and found out that I'm in. Thanks for the forewarning about the "The committe on admissions has carefully evaluated...." part b/c if I didn't know that she was going to say that it would have been quite nervewracking. I'm really happy b/c Minnesota was one of my top three choices :)

Anybody considering an MD/MBA or MD/JD there? I'm really considering the JD b/c you get both degrees in only 6 years! Although, to be honest, I don't know what I'd do with an MD/JD other than defend myself in the event of a malpractice suit :(

Well, I'm excited. Now I just have to find the time to visit Minnesota again and give it a second look. Thanks for the help everybody!

Congrads!

I'm only familiar with the MD/MPH program. I'm very seriously considering doing a PhD in addition to the MD, though I'm not sure if I can get funding for the MD portion.

i thought about the md/jd program, even took the LSAT last year just in case. my feeling is that if i REALLY want the jd after im done with med school or resendency, ill suck up the extra year and do it then. but for now, like you said, i have no real reason for an extra degree, other than im really interested in law and it would be a good break from all that science/medicine stuff.

however, minnesota has a great law school (esp. if you want to stay in the midwest) and they (i think) even have an official md/jd program, which will make scheduling (and funding?) that much easier. id call the law school (or the md/jd advisor) and see what they have to say about classload, etc.

bump.

Any more U of MN people out there?

Hey adcadet,

Still no word yet. Hopefull I will hear good news after the new years! I would guess that they are out of session until then.

Blues

anybody else get an email from Dr. Becker recently announcing a seminar on relationships? Here's the main part for those who are in the Twin Cities and are interested.

Medical School and Intimate Relationships:
an Oxymoron?

Friday, January 31, 12:15-1:30 pm, Moos Tower 2-650

--------------------------------------------------------
For Medical Students and their Significant Others

[Note to year 3&4 students: If you are in a clinical
rotation, you will need to obtain approval from your
preceptor to attend this session. If it is not possible
for you to attend this session, you may register for
the late afternoon Resident session.]

For more than 20 years, Wayne and Mary Sotile have
counseled medical students and residents. Their
insights into what it takes to become an exceptional
physician lead to their two books published by the AMA
Press, The Medical Marriage: Sustaining Positive
Relationships for Physicians and Their Families and The
Resilient Physician: Effective Emotional Management for
Doctors and Their Medical Organizations. In this
presentation, the Sotiles will discuss the relationship
challenges and solutions faced during medical school.

Topics include:

* Who becomes a physician, and why?
* Five myths from medical training that promote
burnout
* The habits of extraordinary physicians that start
in medical school
* Managing the "Medical Student Spouse Syndrome"
* Special relationship challenges faced by gay,
lesbian, and bisexual residents
* Little changes that make big differences in
staying resilient
* A formula for problem coping - and it's antidotes

Following this presentation, participants will be able
to:

1. List at least three facts about the psychology of
medical students
2. List at least two characteristics of
stress-resilient physicians
3. Describe at least three strategies for protecting
your intimate relationships during medical training
4. Discuss challenges and solutions for special
populations of residents

A friend of mine (MN resident) called the U today and they said that she'd get something in the mail, but wouldn't say what (this is post interview). Does that mean it's a hold or rejection for sure, since they did not say anything about a phone call?

Originally posted by athena21
A friend of mine (MN resident) called the U today and they said that she'd get something in the mail, but wouldn't say what (this is post interview). Does that mean it's a hold or rejection for sure, since they did not say anything about a phone call?

I've never heard of anybody getting accepted and not getting the phone call. I'm sure it's possible, as people can sometimes be hard to reach. But I unfortunately suspect your friend got some news that isn't quiet excellent.

I'm an applicant to the University of Minnesota who interviewed in early November and have yet to hear from the school. Dr. Becker e-mailed me recently, saying that I needed to take psychology to meet their prerequisites. Did anyone else have to take psychology as a prerequisite? Thanks

anyone going to this "lecture" thing next friday?

oh, and yea, that psych bs is a prereq. gotta take it also.

Originally posted by Adcadet
I've never heard of anybody getting accepted and not getting the phone call. I'm sure it's possible, as people can sometimes be hard to reach. But I unfortunately suspect your friend got some news that isn't quiet excellent.

Actually, not only did I never receive a phone call informing me of my acceptance, but I received a financial aid packet before my acceptance letter. Perhaps it depends on Becker's availability and whether she has time to make calls. So there's still hope for your friend! Let us know what happens.

Yup yup. I'll be there. Lets work out a special SDNer greeting or handshake so we recognize eachother ;)

Yup yup. I'll be there. Lets work out a special SDNer greeting or handshake so we recognize eachother ;)

Bump.

Any more Minnesota people out there?

I'm going to the U too. I meant to reply to this thread a while back, but I am an idiot and couldn't figure out how to gain access until now.

congrads! I guess I'll be seeing you on August 13th (or whenever orientation starts).

Hey guys,

Anyone out there accepted or interested in the U of MN MD/PhD program? I was accepted and I am trying to find out more information about the program and school.

Also, has anyone looked into housing around the area? I know they have some "medical fraternities" and I was wondering what people thought of thoses. Good luck in the application process and congrats to those accepted. It's a great school.

Regarding housing: I'm on the waitlist with my fiance for married student housing. The ones in Minneapolis are nice (the ones in St. Paul are crummy, IMO), but there's a pretty long waitling list. See if you can PM oldman about frats at the U.

After getting my MD acceptance, I went through the MD/PhD application process. My application is currently on "hold" - I believe the class is very full, and they're making decisions one at a time as they hear back from those already admitted. I'm still planning on doing the PhD even if I don't get in; I have permission from the pharmacology DGS, the medical school, and my PI to do the PhD work after the second year of medical school.

Thanks Adcadet!

Hopefully something will open up for you, I guess it is just a waiting game now.

When I was up for my interview I heard something about the MSTP program being reviewed by NIH. I heard the review went fairly well but they are up for qucik reivew of the program because of some internal problems. I know that Tucker LeBein just took over and it looks like good progress is beng made to tighten and support the program. Do you or does anybody know more about this? It is possible for a program to loose its MSTP grant and would the students be left footing the bill? Thanks.

-CRAZYLION

hey adcadet,
i was wondering if you know whether or not the MD class is full or not? thanks.

re: med school class being full or not - I don't know. It seems early to be full. I think I saw them interviewing two weeks ago. I haven't been around the med area lately though. If I swing by I'll ask on my way to the MD/PhD office.

re: MD/PhD NIH issues - Tucker mentioned to me the concern about graduation times, though he didn't in any way suggest that there was a problem. I would assume if a program gets cut the current students are safe and they'll just stop admitting new students. Not sure though. Perhaps people in the MD/PhD forum might know more.

I think the major concern right now for the MD/PhD program is funding from the University. With the budget crunch the U of MN is going through, it seems like they may only admit 8 or 9 students rather than the usual 10. (the MSTP program funds most of the program, and the U of MN provides a bit to be able to add a few slots from what I've been told by the MD/PhD people)

Does anyone what the general odds are on admission when you're on the waitlist? The U of MN is my top choice, but I'm on the waitlist--and it doesn't seem like there's anything I can do to improve my chances of getting in. I asked Dr. Becker what I can do to show my interest, and she sent a general reply saying that they won't look at my application again, so updates or a letter of intent won't help.

I'm so frustrated! I really want to do as much as I can to add to my application, but it looks like sitting back and waiting for another 2 months is my only option. Does anyone know of methods that others have used to get in off the waitlist?

Originally posted by amk934
Does anyone what the general odds are on admission when you're on the waitlist? The U of MN is my top choice, but I'm on the waitlist--and it doesn't seem like there's anything I can do to improve my chances of getting in. I asked Dr. Becker what I can do to show my interest, and she sent a general reply saying that they won't look at my application again, so updates or a letter of intent won't help.

I'm so frustrated! I really want to do as much as I can to add to my application, but it looks like sitting back and waiting for another 2 months is my only option. Does anyone know of methods that others have used to get in off the waitlist?

I don't. I'm sorry. It really seems the U of M is closed-minded when it comes to waitlists. I mean, I would want to know if some of my waitlisted candidates were doing really great stuff after they were interviewed. I know my app has only gotten better in the past few months.

I interviewed at the university of Minnesota on January 10 but they are still reviewing my file. My file has not even been taken to the admissions Committee as of today. Does anyone know how long do they take to let you know of their decision?

:confused:

thanks

my impression is that Dr. Becker, the admissions director, usually calls most people to let them know if they've been accepted. I got my call on a Wednesday evening.

If your app hasn't gone to committee yet, it's probably because a)they're backed up, or b)something is keeping your file from being sent, like your interviewr's evaluation or the independent reviewer's analysis (there are two of them). Regardless, your app has to go before full committee, even if the two reviewers give you the thumbs-up or thumbs down. I really doubt the U ever interviews anybody for a waitlist spot, and Dr. Becker claims that when you go before committee makes no difference whatsoever, so I still think you have as good a shot as ever.

Waiting is hard, I know.

Goodluck!

oh, to be put on "hold," your app has to go before the committee.

And I seem to remember at least one case (mine two years ago) when somebody (me) was told that my app was sent to committee, but they didn't actually have a chance to look it over.

How important is an interview for the University of Minnesota. My interview went very well but I got the impression from my interviewer that there are more important factors and that the interview is not that important. Do you know anything about this?
thanks

my impression for the head pre-med advisor at the U (who talks with Dr. Becker often) is that the interview is really a make or break thing. Great stats but no personality=DOA. If they interviewed you, you've got the stats to be admitted. And if your interview went well, then you're probably in great shape. And I have gotten the impression that interviewers don't always realize their importance, and what they tell you during an interview may be designed to do something other than give you a straight answer. Who wants to tell a nervous med school applicant that they hold the key to their future?

I got into the Univ. of MN but will most likely not be going there. I've finishing my undergrad there & to be perfectly honest, I didn't really care for the Univ. of MN med school. My interview date was messed up about 3 times & when I actually got there my interviewer didn't even expect me. The inteviewer was actually very nice though & told me on the spot that I would be accepted. The way I figured it, if they can screw my interview dates imagine what they could do to my financial aid.
The facilities were just avergae, but the people there were very pleasent. I also know a few students at the U & they are all really cool though.

The U is a good school though with plenty of opportunities to work in a variety of hospitals. Good luck to all of you guys going!

sorry to hear about the screwed up interview, DocForAll. I definitely think there are some facilities at the U that suck (the Mayo building!). But have you seen Coffman? Oh man that place looks nice now! The U has wireless ethernet all over the place now - I'll be happy.

Anybody else going to Minnesota? Speaking of which, I saw in another thread here on SDN that Minnesota ranked #15 in the 1996 or 1997 Gourman Report....

ooookay. There will most likely be about 166 people in our class...where are the other ~150 people?

Still undecided but Minnesota is looking good.

There has got to be some more U of Minn future M1's out there, speak up:D!

Where is anyone thinking of living next year? Good luck everyone and maybe see you next year.

I'm living in married student housing in Minneapolis - hard to beat a 2 BR appt near campus for $500/month. My fiance and I have been on the waiting list for over a year (avg. wait time is 1.5 years!). Hopefully we'll get in August or Sept.

You may want to find Oldman to ask about the frats - they provide housing.

just in case anybody hasn't checked their (snail) mail lately, you may want to as the med school sent out another mailing to students they think are matriculating. I think the key points are:
1. Keep your address up to date
2. If you want a mentor, email them and tell them
3. financial aid is delayed; if you need a good estimate call the FA office.
4. Orientation starts August 13th, and significant others are invited for the first day

And rumor on the street is that the Class of 2007 will be getting it's webpage soon. Stay tuned for more information.

Has anyone else matriculated lately? Are there any more Gophers out there?

is it true that minnesota's class has no diversity?