OUWB vs Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUWB (with half ride) or Wayne State

• OUWB with half ride ($26,000/year)

• Wayne State ($33,000/year)

Results are only viewable after voting.

FlashMed13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what I've come up with so far based on speaking directly to students from both schools:

Wayne:
Pros
-A lot of research funding
-Great rotations
-A lot closer to home

Cons
-More expensive
-Unresponsive administration
-Competition drives students apart

OUWB:
Pros
-Better associating hospital system (9 nationally recognized specialties including neurosurgery, orthopedics surgery, and heart surgery)
-Everyone has an equal opportunity to honor = no competition = Community atmosphere
-Cheaper
-Very responsive administration
-Research incorporated into curriculum = better chance at residency placement
-Clinical experience starting your first semester.

Cons
-70% attendence mandatory for Honors
-Lengthy drive = must live on campus
-Reletively low research funding

If you can add to this, please do so.

Members don't see this ad.

Wayne is the better school, I'd say go there. The totally added debt of Wayne is only 24k, which is not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Other than that though it really falls on you. How much did you like Oakland? More? A ton more? Being happy in med school is very important to success, so go where you'll be best able to succeed. (As I'm not in med school yet I'm echoing advice from the med students and residents I work with)

Also, that much mandatory attendance sounds miserable IMO!

OUWB definitely has a culture that keeps students close to the campus for the first two years--and it's a really nice campus. But the downside is that there isn't much else around for about a 20 minute drive in any direction--and with the mandatory-ish attendance policy, you can really end up hanging out on campus all day every day.

For me, this makes fit SUPER important. Two years can be an ETERNITY when you're working that hard. If you like the school and students, you're set. If not, it's not like Wayne where you can just walk off campus and visit the DIA or have a slice of pie.