PennVet c/o 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Penn will give feedback on my application if I ask?
Yes, last year they allowed us to contact admissions after April 30th for a file review. You can contact the Admissions Office by telephone, 215-898-5434, or by e-mail to [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

OOS Interview Waitlist. My expectation, especially after not getting off the actual waitlist after being top 10 on the list last year (post interview), is that everybody who was offered an interview will accept it. Those of us who are on the interview waitlist will keep waiting until they let us know that there was no movement and we will be denied an opportunity to interview.
I thought there was no official waitlist last year because they sent invites out in waves?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS waitlist — Sure looks like a lot of people got this outcome as well. I wonder why they are waitlisting so many people rather than doing more rejections. Congrats to all anyways!
i know in previous years they’ve done interview invites in waves so maybe instead of waves they just announced everything today and will pull off the waitlist later?

Reactions: 1 user
OOS Interview in early February. Are there any stats out there on how many students are interviewed, and how many interviewed are accepted/rejected, or is this a new format for them?

OOS Interview in early February. Are there any stats out there on how many students are interviewed, and how many interviewed are accepted/rejected, or is this a new format for them?
So yes you can look this up. I believe it’s on VMCAS penn website. Here are the stats:
Applications: 1639
Number of interviews: 288
Number accepted into class: 206
Number matriculated: 134

I know not everyone who applied is on SDN but I really doubt they would send around 200 interview invites at once. My expectation is that they will send out invites in waves like they did last year, but they won’t keep people in the dark like they did last year. It makes me feel a little more hopeful

OOS interview but I will be declining due to being accepted to my IS! Someone will be getting off the waitlist soon so have hope!!

Reactions: 7 users
So yes you can look this up. I believe it’s on VMCAS penn website. Here are the stats:

I know not everyone who applied is on SDN but I really doubt they would send around 200 interview invites at once. My expectation is that they will send out invites in waves like they did last year, but they won’t keep people in the dark like they did last year. It makes me feel a little more hopeful
Ahh I didn’t think about checking a VMCAS site, thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)

whats the link to this site? I couldn't find it and was curious about other schools I applied to as well

whats the link to this site? I couldn't find it and was curious about other schools I applied to as well
Here is the link to the VMCAS Admitted Student Stats:

I was just offered an interview after being waitlisted on February 2!! :happy:

Reactions: 10 users
OOS Interview waitlist (heard yesterday)! I'm grateful that I wasn't flat out rejected, but soo anxious too :(. Hoping the best for everyone, good luck!

• Care
They sent you a waitlist email on Tuesday and then an invite yesterday? That amazing! Good luck :)
Thank you! I must have been one of the first on the waitlist! I am so grateful! :)
Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist! <3

Reactions: 1 users
For those who are planning to interview, how are you preparing? The structure is so unique and unlike any other interview I’ve done yet!

I am worried about the interview structure, I feel like a group interview on zoom could be a disaster. There was a group interview portion at Royal that I did and I found it really hard to do because everyone immediately jumped onto the prompt and no one wanted to seem disagreeable so we just all agreed with whatever each other said - but that was in-person I cannot imagine having to do that over zoom.....

I am worried about the interview structure, I feel like a group interview on zoom could be a disaster. There was a group interview portion at Royal that I did and I found it really hard to do because everyone immediately jumped onto the prompt and no one wanted to seem disagreeable so we just all agreed with whatever each other said - but that was in-person I cannot imagine having to do that over zoom.....

I completely agree with this! I’m worried I won’t be able to speak enough or be able to like give the admissions committee a good representation of who I am. I don’t want to be outspoken but also don’t want to keep cutting people off

I’m also unsure how to prepare. The 1:1 time after sounds like it’s for reflection and questions we have rather than like “why Penn Vet” or “why vet med” type behavioral interview questions right? I don’t want to not be prepared for those types of questions and then have them ask them

I completely agree with this! I’m worried I won’t be able to speak enough or be able to like give the admissions committee a good representation of who I am. I don’t want to be outspoken but also don’t want to keep cutting people off

I’m also unsure how to prepare. The 1:1 time after sounds like it’s for reflection and questions we have rather than like “why Penn Vet” or “why vet med” type behavioral interview questions right? I don’t want to not be prepared for those types of questions and then have them ask them

Yeah I agree, I have a feeling they’re going to ask us more about how we thought the discussion went rather than those types of personal questions.

It's definitely an interesting format, but I'm kinda looking forward to it as opposed to a traditional interview format. RVC had something similar and it seemed much more about how you interact with your teammates, what type of thinking you use, what type of ideas you propose and how you propose them, etc.. I don't think (at least??) there's a super right or wrong answer other than cutting people off without apologizing or being combative, it seemed much more along the lines of getting to know how you think and how you work in a team of new people. In my RVC interview I accidentally cut someone off (felt horrible) so I apologized and said they can continue and I still got in so maybe that's not the end of the world?

It's definitely an interesting format, but I'm kinda looking forward to it as opposed to a traditional interview format. RVC had something similar and it seemed much more about how you interact with your teammates, what type of thinking you use, what type of ideas you propose and how you propose them, etc.. I don't think (at least??) there's a super right or wrong answer other than cutting people off without apologizing or being combative, it seemed much more along the lines of getting to know how you think and how you work in a team of new people. In my RVC interview I accidentally cut someone off (felt horrible) so I apologized and said they can continue and I still got in so maybe that's not the end of the world?

Yeah for sure I think it’s all about interactions and probably not as much of the actual “proposal.” Can I ask, for your RVC interview, was everyone pretty much on the same page about letting everyone speak and get in their ideas? Like was the environment decently friendly? I’m just a little worried about some people seeing it as more combative and it being hard for everyone else in the group to relay their perspectives.

For the RVC interview I did everyone was really inclusive and tried their best to let everyone share their thoughts.

I actually had a different experience with my RVC group interview- a few people in my group really tried to dominate the conversation and it was hectic. I talked when I could but it wasn’t an awesome experience and people kept talking over others. I did get accepted to rvc so I think it’s important to be collaborative and not try to dominate it and include everyone even if you feel like you didn’t speak enough.

I actually had a different experience with my RVC group interview- a few people in my group really tried to dominate the conversation and it was hectic. I talked when I could but it wasn’t an awesome experience and people kept talking over others. I did get accepted to rvc so I think it’s important to be collaborative and not try to dominate it and include everyone even if you feel like you didn’t speak enough.
I wonder if they consider teamwork in their admissions like if the students let others talk and not dominate the conversation

For those interviewing tomorrow, how do you guys feel about this prompt? I would assume it’s the same for everyone going tomorrow?

For those interviewing tomorrow, how do you guys feel about this prompt? I would assume it’s the same for everyone going tomorrow?
super nervous actually! i have a specific opinion that i think most people agree with but im still jittery about it!

super nervous actually! i have a specific opinion that i think most people agree with but im still jittery about it!

Yeah definitely. It’s also hard because I feel like it really just depends on how the conversation goes and there’s not really much to do to prepare for it besides get your ideas together

Yeah for sure I think it’s all about interactions and probably not as much of the actual “proposal.” Can I ask, for your RVC interview, was everyone pretty much on the same page about letting everyone speak and get in their ideas? Like was the environment decently friendly? I’m just a little worried about some people seeing it as more combative and it being hard for everyone else in the group to relay their perspectives.
It probably depended on the people and the group, but I can say for my group that they were amazing. We seemed to all have a common understanding of letting each other say a thing and keeping that space open, if anything we were a bit quiet at first but got our groove. I can definitely say though that RVC's interview format was BY FAR my favorite interview, it felt so much less like an investigation and more like a friendly get-to-know-you type thing. It was the first time I left an interview kinda sad because I was having a blast talking with people, and that's saying something since I'm more on the introverted side.

for people that interviewed yesterday, how was the group format / what was the vibe like?

for people that interviewed yesterday, how was the group format / what was the vibe like?
I thought it was good! It's just 5 applicants, the prompt, and the interviewers are silent in the call. The vibe for mine was super cohesive and chill.

I thought it was good! It's just 5 applicants, the prompt, and the interviewers are silent in the call. The vibe for mine was super cohesive and chill.
were you asked any individual questions about yourself or was it just working as a group to answer the prompt?

were you asked any individual questions about yourself or was it just working as a group to answer the prompt?
Just working as a group! They will take you to a private room after the prompt just to reflect or ask questions abt PennVet or the general area, but there was no actual behavioral or situational questions solo.

Can you explain the new curriculum? I found information about it on their website but I’m still a little confused how it works. Thanks!
Don't worry -- they are confused about the new curriculum too, I think that's why there's not better info on the website. It's still kind of a mess, tbh. I would just say that it moves pretty fast. If you learn better in "chunks" versus in a long-term, linear way, I would say it might be for you. You basically take 4-5 week "blocks," one at a time, so you're really only learning the specific system they're teaching -- but your anatomy and histology are rolled into that "system" and they are not separate classes. Make sure you're 100% about Penn Vet before committing because they are still working out a lot of kinks in the program!

They told us decisions would be send out by 2/28 yet I’m still over here refreshing my email every 5 minutes

They told us decisions would be send out by 2/28 yet I’m still over here refreshing my email every 5 minutes
in previous years i know they’ve called applicants within the next few days after the interview to let them know the decision but idk if they’re doing that differently this cycle too. if so that sucks bc i was really hoping i wouldn’t have to sit in suspense lol

in previous years i know they’ve called applicants within the next few days after the interview to let them know the decision but idk if they’re doing that differently this cycle too. if so that sucks bc i was really hoping i wouldn’t have to sit in suspense lol

Yeah that’s why I have some hope it could be sooner. But they also changed their entire interview process this year so I have no idea lol. I’ll be an inpatient mess until then

when do they confirm the interview time? I sent over my preferences but haven't heard which timeslot the interview will be on Friday....

when do they confirm the interview time? I sent over my preferences but haven't heard which timeslot the interview will be on Friday....
With my email correspondence, they said they would email me on the Wednesday before my interview :)