Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've only heard of one person getting accepted outright back from a mid January interview. This makes me think that almost all of us have been put on delayed decision status until most of the interviews are over so they can get a good look at the rest of the applicant pool.

Again, I have no idea if any of this is accurate but it just seems to be the trend!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
it's garbage is what it is

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've only heard of one person getting accepted outright back from a mid January interview. This makes me think that almost all of us have been put on delayed decision status until most of the interviews are over so they can get a good look at the rest of the applicant pool.

Again, I have no idea if any of this is accurate but it just seems to be the trend!

i guess we all gotta wait it out!

Received my acceptance on Feb 13th!!!

I interviewed on Jan 9th.

I hope that this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
does everyone's delayed decision letter say something like "as a reminder, please note that PCOM requires proof of successful completion of a biochemistry course prior to matriculation...."? do all the letters say that? or just mine? I have completed a biochemistry course already so I want to know if for some reason they think I haven't or if they are just reminding everyone about this. thanks!

does everyone's delayed decision letter say something like "as a reminder, please note that PCOM requires proof of successful completion of a biochemistry course prior to matriculation...."? do all the letters say that? or just mine? I have completed a biochemistry course already so I want to know if for some reason they think I haven't or if they are just reminding everyone about this. thanks!

I emailed admissions the other day because I had the same question, and the email back to me was that everyone is receiving this reminder in their letters.

I emailed admissions the other day because I had the same question, and the email back to me was that everyone is receiving this reminder in their letters.

okay thanks so much for emailing them and posting here!

I didn't receive this reminder in my letter. Weird.

I did not receive that message in mine either. Maybe it's only for people currently taking courses or in college

I didn't receive this reminder in my letter. Weird.

I did not receive that message in mine either. Maybe it's only for people currently taking courses or in college

wow that's strange... I'm 2 years out of college and not taking any courses and I got the reminder. I have no clue why....

Do you guys have some other kind of "reminder" on your letters?

• Delayed Decision rec'd 2/15
  • interviewed mid-January
  • Took biochem in college over 10 years ago; still received reminder in letter. LOL
  • Congrats to those accepted!

II yesterday! So excited! Any advice is much appreciated, but I will also browse through this forum for interview feedback! Thanks :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II yesterday! So excited! Any advice is much appreciated, but I will also browse through this forum for interview feedback! Thanks :)
first - congrats on getting an interview! just getting to this stage puts you in the top 7% of applicants. As far as advice, the obvious stuff - Eye contact, be confident (or at least look confident), smile, don't drum your fingers or shake your leg, dress professionally, eat the food they give you before the interview.

Don't rush it - It's okay to ask them to repeat the question to give yourself some time to think. Its also okay to talk a little bit slowly and think an answer through. The worst thing to do is ramble.

My interviewers asked me how I deal with stress, if there's anything about medicine/future that worries me (I said student loans), where I see myself in five years, and then the obvious - why DO, why PCOM, etc. I tried to emphasize why I felt I was a good fit for the school and I ended up getting in. Good luck! I would recommend getting there early and taking a little walk around campus to relax beforehand. Good luck!

first - congrats on getting an interview! just getting to this stage puts you in the top 7% of applicants. As far as advice, the obvious stuff - Eye contact, be confident (or at least look confident), smile, don't drum your fingers or shake your leg, dress professionally, eat the food they give you before the interview.

Don't rush it - It's okay to ask them to repeat the question to give yourself some time to think. Its also okay to talk a little bit slowly and think an answer through. The worst thing to do is ramble.

My interviewers asked me how I deal with stress, if there's anything about medicine/future that worries me (I said student loans), where I see myself in five years, and then the obvious - why DO, why PCOM, etc. I tried to emphasize why I felt I was a good fit for the school and I ended up getting in. Good luck! I would recommend getting there early and taking a little walk around campus to relax beforehand. Good luck!

This is great advice, thanks so much!

This is great advice, thanks so much!

Good luck at your interview and congratulations. I interviewed back in December and was accepted ~3 weeks later. Just to add to what km93 said as cliche as it sounds be yourself and don't say things that you think that they want you to say. I was asked a very direct question about MD vs DO and my answer was thrown back in my face. So say how you feel when it comes to answers.

General advice: stay calm. If your interviewers start teasing you (which I've heard happened directly from someone who interviewed) or challenge you, don't get flustered. You are there because they want you at PCOM! Your interview gauges: if you have a personality, fit in the school, your specific interest in medicine and career goals. I had a really frank discussion with my interviewer about how to balance my career goals v. personal life (vacation time, family, free time). Basically what I want my life to be like in 15 years vs what it will actually be like. Take a deep breath and answer truthfully!

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck at your interview and congratulations. I interviewed back in December and was accepted ~3 weeks later. Just to add to what km93 said as cliche as it sounds be yourself and don't say things that you think that they want you to say. I was asked a very direct question about MD vs DO and my answer was thrown back in my face. So say how you feel when it comes to answers.

General advice: stay calm. If your interviewers start teasing you (which I've heard happened directly from someone who interviewed) or challenge you, don't get flustered. You are there because they want you at PCOM! Your interview gauges: if you have a personality, fit in the school, your specific interest in medicine and career goals. I had a really frank discussion with my interviewer about how to balance my career goals v. personal life (vacation time, family, free time). Basically what I want my life to be like in 15 years vs what it will actually be like. Take a deep breath and answer truthfully!

Thank you for this!

I just received an interview invite for March! I'm pretty excited - it's my top school!

Reactions: 3 users
Does PCOM do silent rejections?? The silence is killing me

I received an interview invite yesterday for mid-March. Very excited. I was complete in September so it has taken awhile. There was an additional letter sent from a physician in January so I don't know if this had anything to do we me receiving the invite this late in the game.

Hi everyone- just wondering if anyone knows the difference between a hold and delayed decision? I interviewed back in October and was placed on hold, but haven't heard anything since. Any help would be appreciated!

Anyone know about PA cycle? I have a friend applying and he is in the dark since submitting.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of dress code and/or who should attend the brunch (family?) on 4/2? I know a more official invite will be sent out but I'm trying to plan ahead.

Does anyone know of dress code and/or who should attend the brunch (family?) on 4/2? I know a more official invite will be sent out but I'm trying to plan ahead.
It is just for the student

Do they accept updates? I'm thinking of sending one!

I dont think that they are accepting updates. I sent one recently and they said that they are not currently accepting updates on files and wished good luck with the rolling admissions cycle

I dont think that they are accepting updates. I sent one recently and they said that they are not currently accepting updates on files and wished good luck with the rolling admissions cycle

Does that mean their class is full....?

Does that mean their class is full....?

Honestly wouldn't be surprised based on what I'm seeing.

Also, PCOM is by far the friendliest DO school by having students only pay a $250 deposit to hold their seat. Second deposit is due in April for $1500 so if students don't pay that then more seats will open.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, been complete since early September and still no word from PCOM, just wanted to know if there are receptive to letters of interests and whether or not I should try calling them. Congrats to those accepted!

Honestly wouldn't be surprised based on what I'm seeing.

Also, PCOM is by far the friendliest DO school by having students only pay a $250 deposit to hold their seat. Second deposit is due in April for $1500 so if students don't pay that then more seats will open.

...I thought that too until I found out that OU-HCOM only asked me for $100! #depositcompetition

Does anyone know how late people who are on waitlist will be accepted? Like right before classes start or is there a date where everyone on the waitlist knows if they won't be accepted?

Does anyone know how late people who are on waitlist will be accepted? Like right before classes start or is there a date where everyone on the waitlist knows if they won't be accepted?

As far as I know people last year were accepted even during orientation. I don't think there's a waitlist right now anyways. I think they've only handed out acceptances, delayed decisions, and rejections

As far as I know people last year were accepted even during orientation. I don't think there's a waitlist right now anyways. I think they've only handed out acceptances, delayed decisions, and rejections

Gotcha thanks so much!

Also, what're the chances of being accepted if you've been granted an interview? Thanks for all the advice again!

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/13 heard back yet?
Based on this thread, it looks like the last round of people heard between 2/13-2/17. I am thinking the next round of people are going to hear back next week...I'm pretty sure they meet monthly.

Last edited:
After complete silence for 7 months, I just received an II for next week, but will not be attending. Best of luck everyone

Also, what're the chances of being accepted if you've been granted an interview? Thanks for all the advice again!

For the class of 2020, there were 10,000 apps, 748 interviews, 392 acceptances, and we have a class of 280. Hope this helps!

Hey guys, anyone know if they are responsive to letters of interest? Been complete since early September and no word... Congrats to all those accepted!

You mean for people who haven't interviewed right? Cuz I'm assuming post interview you find out within those 4 weeks

Yes, pre-interview. For post-interview, you get either an acceptance, delayed decision/waitlist, or rejection.