Pikeville-SOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the same boat. I got a copy of my new MCAT scores and e mailed them to Corrine Bolt "[email protected]". I explained that I had just gotten my new MCAT scores and I wanted to make sure that they were in my file for evaluation. I received a reply stating that she got the scores and copied my email to Angel Hamilton.

Hope they will start sending interview invite soon to all of us
 
Hi =) I was wondering if all of you who received an interview invite got it trough e-mail?

Yes I am freaking out a little =)
This is what I see in my application's page : Status: Payment accepted, data sent, received, and confirmed!

Do you all have just this too?
 
to people who have gotten invites, first off congratulations! second, I was wondering how long it took them to contact you after you recieved the complete email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know someone posted that they got their interview invite the same day as their complete status email.
Was that the case for all that have received and interview invite?

thanks.
 
I have called admissions five times, left a voicemail, and emailed twice with a question. This was all two weeks ago and I have still gotten no reply to any of it. I will probably not be submitting the secondary that they requested.
 
I have called admissions five times, left a voicemail, and emailed twice with a question. This was all two weeks ago and I have still gotten no reply to any of it. I will probably not be submitting the secondary that they requested.

If I had to pinpoint one area of PCSOM that needed the most assistance is within the admissions department. There is one lady that runs the show. Admissions are up 10% ALREADY from last year. While I understand that is no excuse not to return phone calls, and nothing can me more frustrating, I suggest you be persistent. Admissions is not the only phone number listed for PCSOM, try calling another department, maybe even another dean and see if they can transfer you. Explain yourself and your situation, and someone will get you the information you are in need of.

You've made it this far, do you really want a single phone call to separate you from becoming a physician?
 
If I had to pinpoint one area of PCSOM that needed the most assistance is within the admissions department. There is one lady that runs the show. Admissions are up 10% ALREADY from last year. While I understand that is no excuse not to return phone calls, and nothing can me more frustrating, I suggest you be persistent. Admissions is not the only phone number listed for PCSOM, try calling another department, maybe even another dean and see if they can transfer you. Explain yourself and your situation, and someone will get you the information you are in need of.

You've made it this far, do you really want a single phone call to separate you from becoming a physician?

I wasn't suggesting that I'm not going to apply anywhere. Just not here. I've sent out eleven or twelve secondaries in the past week or two.
 
Hello all, I was accepted today to PCSOM, got the call from the dean around 3:30 today, I was super excited!! I really had a great time at the interview, and I enjoyed the tour, it alone has practically sold me on PCSOM. Anyone else here anything?
 
Hello all, I was accepted today to PCSOM, got the call from the dean around 3:30 today, I was super excited!! I really had a great time at the interview, and I enjoyed the tour, it alone has practically sold me on PCSOM. Anyone else here anything?

Congratulations man, good to hear. Wasn't lying when I told you the interview day is what sold me on PCSOM last year as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.
 
I am glad to say that I'll be apart of the PCSOM Class of 2015! I got a call from the dean today, who had been trying to contact me all week! They apparently lost my phone number. It has been a painful 3 days, because my friend was accepted monday with a lower MCAT score. So all week I thought: "Man, I really botched that interview!" haha but I can laugh about it now! :laugh:

Anybody who has been accepted and wants to get to know their fellow classmates, or is still applying and has questions, feel free to PM me. I'll try to help you anyway I can.
 
Ive been complete here since 9/29, I know it hasn't been long but I really hope I get a chance to interview here! I am from NJ but am done with suburban/urban living. I went to college in South jersey around a fairly rural area and loved it. I had to move back home and now I am hating it. I want to move so bad but my wife is like why would we move somewhere rural now when we might have to move again in the next year. !
 
i've been complete since august, still nothing...

and i've come to the conclusion that no one works in the admissions office.
 
Got the "Complete" email as well. Nothing else. I'm learning how impatient I am. I had some LUCK calling during the morning (like before 930).
:diebanana:
 
Is oct. 1 the only interview date that has been scheduled/complete? Is there anyone that has been contacted for an interview after that Oct 1 date?


Still calm so far. got wait listed at lecom 2 years ago, and the pain still stings!!!!! 🙁 I'm retaking the mcat in Jan. This is not a process for the faint of heart. OOOOHWEEELLLL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is oct. 1 the only interview date that has been scheduled/complete? Is there anyone that has been contacted for an interview after that Oct 1 date?


Still calm so far. got wait listed at lecom 2 years ago, and the pain still stings!!!!! 🙁 I'm retaking the mcat in Jan. This is not a process for the faint of heart. OOOOHWEEELLLL

Hang in there =)... I'll be retaking the MCAT in January since I got a score of 21 (6, 7 & 8) respectively my application was put on hold at Lecom so my only chance is to do better in January =)

I am actually preparing myself this time and hopefully it makes a difference 😀
Good Luck to U:xf:
 
Hang in there =)... I'll be retaking the MCAT in January since I got a score of 21 (6, 7 & 8) respectively my application was put on hold at Lecom so my only chance is to do better in January =)

I am actually preparing myself this time and hopefully it makes a difference 😀
Good Luck to U:xf:
Wow.... that was the boat I was in. I re-took and went down 2 pnts. uuuughhhh!!! I am re-applying to lecom seton hill after i get my results back in Jan. I am trying so hard to bring up my physical science to at least an 8-9. my verbal seems to stay steady at a 7 no matter what I do. I am hoping to bring it up 2 pnts as well. I need my bio to go from a 9 to a 10. I wish you all the luck anyone person can have. I truly truly do. We have lots of time before jan. I am literally disecting my physical science!!!!

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I hope and pray that we are both successful!!!!
 
Has anyone heard anything about an interview yet after Oct 1? I am starting to go crazy refreshing my email so much!😕
 
Got an interview invite today via email. NOV. 5th. I love this school. The atmosphere is great. Lets do it!

👍
 
For those of you who have received an interview invitation from PCSOM, what are your stats like? I submitted my secondary yesterday and it was acknowledged today... my stats are:

Overall GPA: 3.70
Non-Science: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.48
MCAT: 24R (10 verbal, 6 physical, R writing, 8 biological)
I've worked at a nursing home as a personal care aide for six years, currently getting my CNA, and have a lot of extracurricular and volunteer experience.
I'm out of state and graduated from PSU.

Can anyone give me some input about chances? From what I'm hearing, PCSOM sounds like a really good school. I'm definitely hoping for an interview. Thanks!
 
For those of you who have received an interview invitation from PCSOM, what are your stats like? I submitted my secondary yesterday and it was acknowledged today... my stats are:

Overall GPA: 3.70
Non-Science: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.48
MCAT: 24R (10 verbal, 6 physical, R writing, 8 biological)
I've worked at a nursing home as a personal care aide for six years, currently getting my CNA, and have a lot of extracurricular and volunteer experience.
I'm out of state and graduated from PSU.

Can anyone give me some input about chances? From what I'm hearing, PCSOM sounds like a really good school. I'm definitely hoping for an interview. Thanks!

your stats are fine, I was told by the admissions office the average MCAT is a 23 and gpa 3.3. Pikeville give preference to Kentucky and Appalachian applicants, so if you are from said areas, thats definitely a plus. The interview might take some time though since you just submitted your secondary. You could call Angel in the admissions office. She probably could ballpark when you might interview.

Good luck!
 
Still nothing. Hmmmmmm. Trying to stay calm. Those with the Nov. interview. Would you mind sharing your completed date????

Thanks....🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so I got this message from PCSOM a while back:

"Thank you for your interest in PCSOM! Your online application has been downloaded by Admissions Staff. Please contact Angel Hamilton at 606.218.5406 if you have any questions."

This means I'm complete and under review right cause I can never get a hold of anyone in admissions and I've been waiting around since Sept 29.
 
Okay so I got this message from PCSOM a while back:

"Thank you for your interest in PCSOM! Your online application has been downloaded by Admissions Staff. Please contact Angel Hamilton at 606.218.5406 if you have any questions."

This means I'm complete and under review right cause I can never get a hold of anyone in admissions and I've been waiting around since Sept 29.

I got an email saying that my application is complete
 
I got the same completed e-mail over 2 months ago =(. Feeling like freaking out by now. I really wanted to get in interview at this school.
 
Hey Im in the same boat. I finished the application process around the beginning of august and haven't heard anything back yet. 😕

I got my new MCAT scores october 12th and had them faxed to angel and read on here that they sent out the invites for the november interviews on oct 11th :smack:

So i hope that i might possibly get looked at for the december interviews :xf:, but was wondering if anyone who got accepted has a total on the number of acceptances so far? Im kinda wondering does it diminish after the first 3 interview sessions or stay a consistent pace? Just a curious question.

Good luck to everyone! :luck:
 
I think it stays pretty consistent through April (the last round), this was the impression I got from Angel.

What part of KY are you from?
 
I actually called and asked why I should write another statement of purpose when I spent so much time making the AACOMAS one perfect, and the admissons person at one of the schools (can't remember which, sorry) I applied to said that AACOMAS is really just a varification, that they only look to see you are who you say you are, and check your stats, but that the actual looking at you as a person process doesn't start till your secondary, they also said that cutting and pasting is fine since nobody read it the first time anyway, this may be bad advise though, its just what on admmision person told me out of five, also, I did add a little to my second personal statement in most circumstances.
 
For those waiting on the secondary, make sure to check your spam folder. I spoke with a girl last week who didn't see hers because it was sent to her spam folder. It caused her to miss out on the October interview.
 
i've been complete since august, still nothing...

and i've come to the conclusion that no one works in the admissions office.

I'm very dissapointed, I submitted my app late August and I haven't even heard from the school if my app is complete, NO one picks up at the admission office either!
 
I'm very dissapointed, I submitted my app late August and I haven't even heard from the school if my app is complete, NO one picks up at the admission office either!

I would try to get ahold of them by phone or email. my letters were sent in late sept and I got a complete email about a week later.
 
Anyone know the format of the interview? Is it one on one or will we be interviewing in front of a panel?
 
I figure it will be somewhere around the second week of November when they will notify of the December interviews. That is kind of how it has been with the other dates.
 
I'm very dissapointed, I submitted my app late August and I haven't even heard from the school if my app is complete, NO one picks up at the admission office either!

I second you on this, I'm in the same situation. It seems like no one works in admissions cause my phone calls/emails keep going unanswered. Im going to send my letters to them again, seems lie my only choice right now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I second you on this, I'm in the same situation. It seems like no one works in admissions cause my phone calls/emails keep going unanswered. Im going to send my letters to them again, seems lie my only choice right now.

I'm currently an OMS-1 at PCSOM. Only Angel Hamilton works in the admission office. She is one person dealing with a lot of applicants all at once. It is no excuse, but I urge you to be patient. She will get back to you as soon as she can. I will try to answer some questions, I am very busy studying, but I will do my best. Good luck to all. PCSOM is a great school and I have really enjoyed my time here so far.
 
Don't know if this affects anyone, but I was invited to interview on November 5th, but I will interviewing down at NSU on the 4th so I couldn't make it. I asked to be rescheduled and just heard back that they won't be able to get me down there until January....
 
Anyone know the format of the interview? Is it one on one or will we be interviewing in front of a panel?

You will meet in the 2nd year students' lecture hall where they will show you a short video about Pikeville. Then two faculty members will take you into a private room and do an open file interview.
 
I figure it will be somewhere around the second week of November when they will notify of the December interviews. That is kind of how it has been with the other dates.

Thats probably about right. I got my invitation about three weeks before my interview.
 
Anyone know how full the class already is? Not sure if anyone has been able to get through admissions and see. I'm curious as to how many rounds of interviews have already occurred.