RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of control, all of you! :p

In the local news this morning: Two Men Fall Down Cliff While Playing 'Pokemon Go' :eyebrow:

It is freakin creepy. I was at the dog park yesterday and more than one person was aimlessly wandering with their phone out and this half glazed look on their face and spittle coming out one side of their mouth.

Not to mention the terms of service. Their right to do what they please with your personal info is just plain frightening.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
If you get a chance to try soaring, I highly recommend it. I enjoy the technicalities and details and flexibility of instrument flying, but my all time favorite flying moment was thermaling opposite a big huge hawk.

Glider? Yes, it's something I want to do eventually due to my experience with parachutes and paragliders; riding thermals to get back to the landing area from a long-spot was tons of fun.

Next thing on my list is moving on to Cessnas/Pipers, but unfortunately it's just not as easy for me to go down to any flight school and start flying. There are some hand controls with STCs for Skyhawks and Cherokees, but as of this time no one is producing them and they're hard to come by. The scholarship program I was a part of has a set for a Cherokee, but of course none of the flight schools near me in Fort Collins have a Piper, only 172s. Then add on top of that some of the schools' uneasiness surrounding adaptive aviation, even though the controls can be installed and taken out in less than 5 minutes.

Third class medical for someone like me is also way more extensive than your average able-body. I'll get it done, it's just going to take some time.

With that said, I've absolutely fallen in love with the Ercoupe. The history behind the plane is pretty fascinating, they were marketed and sold in Macy's supermarkets after WWII. It's basically an un-stallable and un-spinnable aircraft, and came without rudder pedals and the controls coordinated from the factory. Perfect for me, and it's the same aircraft a past scholarship recipient learned to fly with only her feet (she was born without arms).

download_20160713_092120.jpg

I found a CFI who owns one 40 minutes from me, and I'm going to go fly and get checked out in it tomorrow. If it's as badass as I hope, I'll try and find a way to buy one. The 415C models qualify as light sport, so it's something I can go fly all the time and stay current in while I try and move up the aviation ladder.

Oh ya, vet school's coming up...ummmm :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
We got our class schedule today and I'm moving tomorrow! ITS REALLY HAPPENING NOW. *panic fear excitement stress*

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, I think the privacy concerns with Go have been largely overstated. Some have been addressed through updates and Niantic has even stated that the "total access" of Google accounts was an error and that rights can be revoked and the game will still function. You aren't even required to use a Google account if you don't want to and can opt for Pokemon Trainer Club instead which, as far as I know, doesn't ask for any identifying information.

Ingress has, near verbatim, the same ToS and has been out for years... and I don't think I've heard anyone complain about it with that game (Go is basically just a simplified Ingress with a Pokemon skin; they're both by Niantic). I think it's just the fact that Pokemon is a far more popular entity and naturally it's going to attract more media attention than Ingress ever did, both positive and negative. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Meh, I think the privacy concerns with Go have been largely overstated. Some have been addressed through updates and Niantic has even stated that the "total access" of Google accounts was an error and that rights can be revoked and the game will still function. You aren't even required to use a Google account if you don't want to and can opt for Pokemon Trainer Club instead which, as far as I know, doesn't ask for any identifying information.

Ingress has, near verbatim, the same ToS and has been out for years... and I don't think I've heard anyone complain about it with that game (Go is basically just a simplified Ingress with a Pokemon skin; they're both by Niantic). I think it's just the fact that Pokemon is a far more popular entity and naturally it's going to attract more media attention than Ingress ever did, both positive and negative. :shrug:
My main concerns were that since Pokémon Go is such a naive app and is shown to have glitches and problems, that it would be easily hacked and by that route get access to many people's information through Google. Not that Niantic was going to do something nefarious with my junk e-mails.

My main concerns were that since Pokémon Go is such a naive app and is shown to have glitches and problems, that it would be easily hacked and by that route get access to many people's information through Google. Not that Niantic was going to do something nefarious with my junk e-mails.
Gotcha. That makes sense. I just know that several days ago the "OMG POKEMON GO WANTS FULL ACCESS TO MY GOOGLE ACCOUNT THEY ARE TYING TO STEAL MY INFO WUT" train was at full steam online and people are still talking about it, so I wanted to point out that it has since been addressed.

Reactions: 2 users
Newport has been great for catching Pokemon. And I kind of want to live here. Need to find someone to marry with a boat now. Some of the ones here are quite drool worthy.

Newport has been great for catching Pokemon. And I kind of want to live here. Need to find someone to marry with a boat now. Some of the ones here are quite drool worthy.
The best boat is a friend's boat. That way you can get all of the fun without having to pay for upkeep! ;)

Except they have too many people signing up so they disabled creating trainer club accounts temporarily.

So excited my parents' offer on the apartment I want to live in was accepted. I was so disappointed when my dream apartment didn't pass inspection, but I guess this one is where I'm meant to be. After moving every year for the last four years I am so excited to have one home for the next four :) Also just downloaded Pokemon Go and can't figure out how to get live view, but having fun walking around with a "purpose" anyway haha

Shadowed dolphins and otters today. :love: And on Saturday I'll be shadowing the wildlife rehab department, super excited for that too!

This week I got to watch the necropsy of a jack rabbit that had lesions on the liver and lungs (liver lesions weren't the trademark of tularemia, haven't heard how PCR turned out), growths within both ovaries, and 200+ cc's of blood in the abdomen. It had a vulva, uterus, ovaries, testicles, and a structure that may have been a have been a glans penis. Yeah, it was pretty cool. ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This week I got to watch the necropsy of a jack rabbit that had lesions on the liver and lungs (liver lesions weren't the trademark of tularemia, haven't heard how PCR turned out), growths within both ovaries, and 200+ cc's of blood in the abdomen. It had a vulva, uterus, ovaries, testicles, and a structure that may have been a have been a glans penis. Yeah, it was pretty cool. ;)
Very cool! We've had a few dogs come in like that (the testicles/ovaries, not the blood and organ lesions). Always interesting.

You can't fix stupid.
3000% yup. In other news, I caught a Pikachu and hatched a highish CP Jigglypuff. Not bad.
Shadowed dolphins and otters today. :love: And on Saturday I'll be shadowing the wildlife rehab department, super excited for that too!
Love you, love this. I wanna be an otter or a seal when I grow up. Maybe a seal so I can caterpillar around all the time for funsies :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
I got my first egg from my chickens!! :hardy:
Congratulations to you and to your clucking-and-productive chickens - that is so cool!

Tomorrow, I'm driving over to a local farmers' market because I prefer FRESH eggs.

So, thank you to hens everywhere!

I returned home on Thursday from my scholarship; I'm officially a pilot. I got to meet @Gwenevre one night too!

I'm not going to lie, I got pretty emotional last night. Everything about the program was amazing. This was the first year that they had 8 scholarship recipients, so they were worried about having so many. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people, I loved them all. It was my first time being around others with disabilities for an extended period of time. They are all go-getters like me, and it was so refreshing to have people around that understand and share some life challenges. I loved my flight instructor, he is a great guy and we developed an awesome always-joking-around relationship. I also met an amazing girl who I spent 6 weeks with. I think we both understood that it would likely be temporary, and enjoyed each other while we could.

It was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and gave me back the freedom of flight that I haven't experienced since my injury. While I was there I remember twice saying how thankful I was for being alive and having this opportunity, but it still didn't prepare me for the heavy-hearted feeling that came over me yesterday.

Even though I'm still sad, I will always have the memories of this past summer. That's something to rave about.

View attachment 206118
Bravo Zulu @wheelin2vetmed!

It's crazy how a Pokemon road trip would be the best way to expand your inventory. I have never seen a Drowzee. I'm not even sure what cool thing we have.
I'm definitely salty that Pokemon Go came out right after I got back from my roadtrip around the eastern US. :sour: I'm sure there are TONS of Pokemon in NYC!

Just closed on a house!! :soexcited:

Anyone want to suggest things for a study room? One of the bedrooms is going to become my study cave and I'm figuring out what to put in it/how to decorate. Already planning on a large whiteboard and a big stash of snacks. I tend to study on the floor, so not putting a desk in.

Anyone want to suggest things for a study room? One of the bedrooms is going to become my study cave and I'm figuring out what to put in it/how to decorate. Already planning on a large whiteboard and a big stash of snacks. I tend to study on the floor, so not putting a desk in.
I suggest some house plants - they say some greenery or flowers really help focusing :)
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/houseplants-make-you-smarter/

Send photos. I'll decorate from afar.

I got a job interview yesterday....

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations to you and to your clucking-and-productive chickens - that is so cool!

Tomorrow, I'm driving over to a local farmers' market because I prefer FRESH eggs.

So, thank you to hens everywhere!

There really is no comparison between farm fresh and store bought :)

ImageUploadedBySDN1468778857.534658.jpg

This is my living room, plus or minus some doodads and a different TV stand. And I suspect the rug is getting a bit dingy... and We added a gray recliner for the hubs.

Reactions: 14 users
Love it @twelvetigers !

I have a really difficult main room such that couches can't really be arranged in the usual L formation you see in pretty much every living room. I'll post it sometime (sounds like I should make that thread...) but the house is a wreck right now as we just finished the guest room and I can't post a messy room!

Edit - I found an older picture from the winter. This was the previous cough arrangement. TO the right of the picture you can see a doggy gate - there's a staircase there and a really short wall. So Not really any place to put couches where end tables/lights are convenient. Currently we have them in kind of a V shape facing out toward the back which is a little better but still somehow weird...

Photo%20on%201-25-16%20at%204.02%20PM_zps1asvqpyg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Love it @twelvetigers !

I have a really difficult main room such that couches can't really be arranged in the usual L formation you see in pretty much every living room. I'll post it sometime (sounds like I should make that thread...) but the house is a wreck right now as we just finished the guest room and I can't post a messy room!

Edit - I found an older picture from the winter. This was the previous cough arrangement. TO the right of the picture you can see a doggy gate - there's a staircase there and a really short wall. So Not really any place to put couches where end tables/lights are convenient. Currently we have them in kind of a V shape facing out toward the back which is a little better but still somehow weird...

Photo%20on%201-25-16%20at%204.02%20PM_zps1asvqpyg.jpg
I support a decorating thread :)

So much awesome.

Also, the Season 8 for RuPaul is out on Hulu. Gonna be a Drag Queen kinda night for this fish!

Only a little more than a month til All Stars 2!

Went to the zoo Sunday. And double fisted playing Pokemon. So fun. Completed my Eevee trio and still have 21 in my army today. If only my brat sister hadn't ruined it all.

Ohhhh. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Go check out the park that the zoo is in (too poor to pay for the zoo right now).

Ohhhh. Maybe I'll do that this weekend. Go check out the park that the zoo is in (too poor to pay for the zoo right now).
The two first items were separate. Splurged on the Philly Zoo cause I haven't been there since I interned in 2010. And while my friend drove, I caught him and myself some Pokes

Benefits to being in a multi doctor practice: The other equine vet can come deal with your horse. (Nothing major wrong, just some typical middle age stiffness.)

The two first items were separate. Splurged on the Philly Zoo cause I haven't been there since I interned in 2010. And while my friend drove, I caught him and myself some Pokes
I really enjoyed the Philly Zoo, they do a lot with the space they have :)

Holy ****. One of that hardest, strictest clinicians in the hospital just filled out my evaluation and it said that she thinks I should consider being an internist. That is super duper high praise from her. Omg.

Reactions: 14 users
Wahoo credit limit increase due to having a real income even it's my pathetic intern income! Didn't ask to increase it by a lot, but just wanted to up it for emergencies since my internship is making me paranoids something horrible is going to happen to my dog and I want to at least be able to put some of it on a card before the insurance money comes back to me.

Holy ****. One of that hardest, strictest clinicians in the hospital just filled out my evaluation and it said that she thinks I should consider being an internist. That is super duper high praise from her. Omg.

That's awesome! :biglove: